DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Movie franchise finales that always get you? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/652261-movie-franchise-finales-always-get-you.html)

OldBoy 01-23-21 12:03 PM

Movie franchise finales that always get you?

certainly, i loved Return of the Jedi. it'll always be a favorite. loved Toy Story 3, even though not really finale. also Back to the Future III was a great finale from Zemeckis. i know i loved, but only saw once or twice and not any time recently, The Return of the King (EE), but i see nothing wrong with the movie and especially end scenes when Batman takes the bomb away and his great theme music plays, certainly Alfred last scene and Robin's last scene. would have liked to see where that went, but The Dark Knight Rises. Having seen it twice in a matter of weeks, it got me both times and definitely liked when saw in theater. this was a great send off imo.

GoldenJCJ 01-23-21 12:06 PM

Re: Movie franchise finales that always get you?

I mentioned in another thread that I didn’t feel the “emotional” scenes in the Marvel movies had much impact but I’ll admit I did enjoy seeing Cap end the way he did at the end of Avengers: Endgame.

I also appreciated the Pirates of the Caribbean series ending with a
Spoiler:
Will and Elizabeth reunion

Count Dooku 01-23-21 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by OldBoy (Post 13879819)
certainly, i loved Return of the Jedi. it'll always be a favorite. loved Toy Story 3, even though not really finale. also Back to the Future III was a great finale from Zemeckis. i know i loved, but only saw once or twice and not any time recently, The Return of the King (EE), but i see nothing wrong with the movie and especially end scenes when Batman takes the bomb away and his great theme music plays, certainly Alfred last scene and Robin's last scene. would have liked to see where that went, but The Dark Knight Rises. Having seen it twice in a matter of weeks, it got me both times and definitely liked when saw in theater. this was a great send off imo.

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ (Post 13879821)
I mentioned in another thread that I didn’t feel the “emotional” scenes in the Marvel movies had much impact but I’ll admit I did enjoy seeing Cap end the way he did at the end of Avengers: Endgame.

I also appreciated the Pirates of the Caribbean series ending with a
Spoiler:
Will and Elizabeth reunion

Return of the Jedi: not the franchise finale obviously
Toy Story 3: not the franchise finale obviously
Avengers Endgame: not the franchise finale, the MCU is the franchise
Pirates of the Caribbean 5: not the franchise finale according to Disney

How about just a list of film franchises that actually have a dead certain finale?

dex14 01-23-21 01:21 PM

Holy word vomit.

OldBoy 01-23-21 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by Count Dooku (Post 13879849)
Return of the Jedi: not the franchise finale obviously
Toy Story 3: not the franchise finale obviously
Avengers Endgame: not the franchise finale, the MCU is the franchise
Pirates of the Caribbean 5: not the franchise finale according to Disney

How about just a list of film franchises that actually have a dead certain finale?

let's not be nitpicky. they were the end of a group, trilogy/quadrilogy or whatever of movies.

PatD 01-23-21 04:27 PM

You can't close out a movie series with as much class and pomp as this:

Nothing comes close.

OldBoy 01-23-21 04:37 PM

^ ah fuck I got chills and welled up. That’s damn good cinema! I only saw the movie once, so this was sort of fresh. Remember liking the movie as a whole, small, mystery, Klingon, that was one with Christian Slater? but didn’t realize it’s impact until much later. I really loved that cast in the 6.5 (Generations, kinda) movies they did.

OldBoy 01-23-21 04:41 PM

I wasn’t really faithful to series, but did see them all, at least once, but Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 & 2 were phenomenal. I loved the end. I bought these in 3D, but haven’t checked them out yet.

Mike86 01-23-21 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by PatD (Post 13879955)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUPK2tTx0tc

Nothing comes close.

That’s a good one for sure. Simple, but yet very fitting and a good send-off for the original crew.

Back to the Future Part III is pretty good. I always get a bit sad seeing the DeLorean destroyed by the train. I like how Marty goes back to show Jennifer that what she remembers was real and not a dream. Then Doc and Clara showing up with the boys letting Marty know that he’s okay.

Just a good overall ending if you ask me. Wraps up the trilogy nicely. There’s no forced sequel years after the fact. Just a nice wrap up of the trilogy.

Return of the Jedi is a good one if it’s looked at as just the ending to the Original Trilogy. Forget the sequels and it’s a great way to cap off the story.

PatD 01-23-21 05:08 PM

^^ Back to the Future, part III and Return of the Jedi are also amazing endings to amazing film series. I amend my previous comment!

Michael Corvin 01-23-21 05:09 PM

I'll hop onto the Back to the Future train. Ha! I love part 3 and the ending wraps everything up quite nicely.

I recently watched Nolan's Batman trilogy with my kids for the first time. I remember really liking Rises originally, but having just watched it...it's not a very good film BUT the end reveal with Robin is great. Batman/Bruce retiring is super cliche and doesn't work for me as the coda to the series. It'd be better if that was the ending to Dark Knight instead so that Batman ultimately comes back in the third film. As it stands it just kinda leaves you hanging which isn't very satisfying.

Return of the Jedi, also a great ending despite pacing issues in the second act.

Personally, I'll add The Bourne Ultimatum. The perfect ending to the trilogy. Sure Jason Bourne exists and it's not bad, but it's wholly unnecessary. If they made another one, I'd be there in a heartbeat, but all-in-all, Ultimatum is the true ending, IMO.

All that being said... none of these "get to me" like a TV finale where you've spent years watching characters grow through various trials and tribulations. Movies just don't provide that same level of emotional attachment for me.

OldBoy 01-23-21 05:18 PM

I agree on Ultimatum. But, Nolan’s trilogy only leaves you hanging in regards to the next caped crusader in Robin (Joseph Gordon-Levitt). I would have liked to see him in that. Maybe Bale shows up in last of trilogy, but really no need. I think Rises pretty much puts a stamp on the Dark Knight/Batman/Bruce Wayne saga. But, would live to see Nolan or even his brother do something with Robin sooner than later. Of course Alfred will make a comeback with Robin if MC is still around when this comes out or even perhaps a younger, similar type, but MC has been in almost every Nolan film.

GoldenJCJ 01-23-21 05:19 PM

I do love the bookending of the Bourne movies. Ultimatum ends like Identity begins.

OldBoy 01-23-21 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by Count Dooku (Post 13879849)

Because that would be boring and short?

Nick Danger 01-23-21 05:39 PM

On Her Majesty's Secret Service

tommyp007 01-23-21 05:54 PM

Nothing comes close.

Indeed. Indeed.

Count Dooku 01-23-21 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by OldBoy (Post 13879934)
let's not be nitpicky. they were the end of a group, trilogy/quadrilogy or whatever of movies.

Dude, you titled and started the thread, and then picked Toy Story 3 for chrissakes. You do you, but geez. :scratch2:

andicus 01-23-21 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by OldBoy (Post 13879965)
I wasn’t really faithful to series, but did see them all, at least once, but Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 & 2 were phenomenal. I loved the end. I bought these in 3D, but haven’t checked them out yet.

I think they were particularly impactful because so many of the actors started out as kids, and we effectively watched them grow up.

Of course, there were adult actors that really brought out the emotions, too. I'm looking at you, Severus!

tanman 01-23-21 09:24 PM

All the ones mentioned already are spectacular.

My fav is the ending(s) to LotR.

I never understood the complaints for the multiple endings. After a 12 hour cinematic epic they certainly earned each and every one of them.

GoldenJCJ 01-23-21 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by tanman (Post 13880089)
All the ones mentioned already are spectacular.

My fav is the ending(s) to LotR.

I never understood the complaints for the multiple endings. After a 12 hour cinematic epic they certainly earned each and every one of them.

I’ve never had a problem with them either. They play a lot better at home anyway. If I was sitting in the theater after drinking a bladder buster for 3 hours, I might have been annoyed with the multiple endings.

Mondo Kane 01-23-21 09:57 PM

IP Man was done well (Even though I still haven't seen the one with Tyson yet) I also loved how American Reunion wrapped everything up.

Coral 01-24-21 12:04 AM

Police Academy: Mission to Moscow

Hazel Motes 01-24-21 01:42 AM

Cheating:

The end of the UK Office
The end of The Wire
The end of Friday Night Lights

Michael Corvin 01-24-21 07:21 AM

Wrong thread Hazel. lol

ddrknghtrtns 01-24-21 10:14 AM

Nothing comes close.

Sniff Sniff😭