Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Movie franchise finales that always get you?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Movie franchise finales that always get you?

Old 01-24-21, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: Movie franchise finales that always get you?

Originally Posted by tanman View Post
All the ones mentioned already are spectacular.

My fav is the ending(s) to LotR.

I never understood the complaints for the multiple endings. After a 12 hour cinematic epic they certainly earned each and every one of them.
Even though it isn't quite the end, the "My friends, you bow to no one" gets me every time.
The following 2 users liked this post by mewmartigan:
IBJoel (01-25-21), tanman (01-24-21)
Old 01-24-21, 03:12 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 453 Likes on 403 Posts

Originally Posted by mewmartigan View Post
Even though it isn't quite the end, the "My friends, you bow to no one" gets me every time.
that's a great line.
Old 01-24-21, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 692 Likes on 567 Posts

Another good one I havenít seen mentioned is Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. Indy, his dad, and company riding off on horseback into the sunset with the theme song playing was perfect. Just a great way to end the trilogy. Too bad they had to fuck it up by making another.
The following 2 users liked this post by Mike86:
OldBoy (01-24-21), tanman (01-24-21)
Old 01-24-21, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 123 Likes on 90 Posts

Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back was a nice capper to the Askewniverse with the uniting the different characters of the Kevin Smith's Jersey Universe to mingle in the last portion of the movie. Cut to the stinger with Alanis Morissette as God closing "The Book of the Askewniverse" and dancing off. Then Jersey Girl happened...

To be fair, Clerks II would have also been a nice, additional closer to the Askewniverse. It has a wonderful feel-good ending with the characters coming together and finding some kind of happiness. (The montage with "Everything" by Alanis Morissette gets me every time) And much later on Jay and Silent Bob Reboot happened (with talks of a Clerks III). Kevin, Kevin, Kevin. I love you to pieces, but you need to know when to put a bow on it.
The following users liked this post:
The Valeyard (01-28-21)
Old 01-24-21, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by Mike86 View Post
Another good one I haven’t seen mentioned is Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. Indy, his dad, and company riding off on horseback into the sunset with the theme song playing was perfect. Just a great way to end the trilogy. Too bad they had to fuck it up by making another.
I was gonna say Last Crusade, but didn’t want to get blasted from above since the abomination of Crystal Skulls came out. So 3, doesn’t make it true finale, even though KotCS was an elsewhere tale...
Old 01-24-21, 08:26 PM

Received 2,582 Likes on 1,768 Posts

Originally Posted by PatD View Post
Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back was a nice capper to the Askewniverse with the uniting the different characters of the Kevin Smith's Jersey Universe to mingle in the last portion of the movie. Cut to the stinger with Alanis Morissette as God closing "The Book of the Askewniverse" and dancing off. Then Jersey Girl happened...
Jersey Girl isn’t part of the universe.
John Pannozzi (01-25-21)
Old 01-24-21, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

It has its faults, but the ending to GODFATHER III really packs a wallop. Al Pacino's silent scream and the flashbacks playing to "Intermezzo" from Cavalleria Rusticana are a truly emotional ending to an epic series.

I also thought Peter Parker and Mary Jane's slow dance at the end of SPIDER-MAN III was a melancholy finale to Sam Raimi's films, which I appreciate a lot more after seeing the last two reboots.
John Pannozzi (01-25-21)
Old 01-24-21, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by dex14 View Post
Jersey Girl isn’t part of the universe.
I know, but it influenced KS in what to do with his Jersey-verse films. J&SB SB would have been the last one if Jersey Girl had done well.

J&SB SB and Clerks II would have been a great way to wrap things up his creation up satisfactorily. But, alas...
Old 01-25-21, 07:15 AM

Received 2,582 Likes on 1,768 Posts

I know, but it influenced KS in what to do with his Jersey-verse films. J&SB SB would have been the last one if Jersey Girl had done well.

J&SB SB and Clerks II would have been a great way to wrap things up his creation up satisfactorily. But, alas...
Oh, ok. I get what you're saying now.
Old 01-25-21, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 866 Likes on 655 Posts

So many good ones that ended up not being the final film, like Return of the Jedi, IJ and the Last Crusade, Star Trek TUC (though as a whole crew send off it's great, even if we see Kirk, Scotty and Chekov again).

I guess the one that remains the best because it's still last in the chronology is Return of the King.
Old 01-25-21, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by milo bloom View Post
So many good ones that ended up not being the final film, like Return of the Jedi, IJ and the Last Crusade, Star Trek TUC (though as a whole crew send off it's great, even if we see Kirk, Scotty and Chekov again).

I guess the one that remains the best because it's still last in the chronology is Return of the King.
BTTF III ended and there were no prequels, sequels, reboots or director's/extended cut. Three movies and only three movies. Finito!
Old 01-25-21, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 692 Likes on 567 Posts

BTTF III ended and there were no prequels, sequels, reboots or director's/extended cut. Three movies and only three movies. Finito!
Thatís why that trilogy is so perfect in my opinion. All three movies are good, still hold up, and no unnecessary sequels or reboots. Itís the one franchise I can think of thatís remained untarnished and has just been left alone since it ended.
Old 01-25-21, 07:49 PM

I can’t believe I never mentioned Avengers: Endgame. That is a rousing piece of 23 movie finale!
Old 01-25-21, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 327 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by DieselsDen View Post
It has its faults, but the ending to GODFATHER III really packs a wallop. Al Pacino's silent scream and the flashbacks playing to "Intermezzo" from Cavalleria Rusticana are a truly emotional ending to an epic series.
I dunno. Using the same operatic piece that was used in a very popular scene in Raging Bull only 10 years earlier seemed kind of lazy. The piece fits the scene, but I would've used something different. Also, the very ending where Michael dies - they really should've done a few more takes. You can see Pacino adjusting his hands to avoid hurting his arm/hand as well as cushioning a bit of the fall.
Old 01-26-21, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 200 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86 View Post
Another good one I havenít seen mentioned is Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. Indy, his dad, and company riding off on horseback into the sunset with the theme song playing was perfect. Just a great way to end the trilogy. Too bad they had to fuck it up by making another.
I love the ending of the Last Crusade as I think its the perfect ending to the Trilogy. I consider Crystal Skull a separate movie from the series just like how I ignore the Star Wars Sequel trilogy.