DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Guns III - Alias: Billy the Kid (original writer and actors) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/652225-guns-iii-alias-billy-kid-original-writer-actors.html)

Pnwrainman 01-18-21 11:36 PM

Guns III - Alias: Billy the Kid (original writer and actors)

Looks like we’re getting a Young Guns 3. I enjoyed the first two and thought the second ended well. Not sure where they will go with a third. Looks like origins screenwriter and all of the scores are coming back.

Blah. Not enough post to put a link here

DJariya 01-18-21 11:45 PM

re: Guns III - Alias: Billy the Kid (original writer and actors)

Here's the source. However this doesn't mean the movie has been greenlit.

TheMovieman 01-19-21 12:16 AM

Here's the link:
https://movieweb.com/young-guns-3-em...er-john-fusco/

Can't link the tweet (or at least not showing for me, but it's in the news article)

Decker 01-19-21 01:38 AM

And here I was thinking that seeing every character die in the first two movies made another sequel kind of unnecessary.

JeffTheAlpaca 01-19-21 03:35 AM

Young Guns 2 was awesome and just end it at that.

Josh-da-man 01-19-21 03:56 AM

They all faked their deaths in the second movie. :lol:

The original Young Guns was a mostly historically accurate retelling of the Lincoln County War. The sequel mucked things up quite a bit because both Chavez and Doc lived to ripe old ages. And, of course, YG II put the idea out there that Billy the Kid survived his encounter with Pat Garrett. The real Arkansas Dave barely made it past thirty, though, so I don't know if they need him in YG III. :lol:

dex14 01-19-21 06:31 AM

Might not even be a movie.

Runaway 01-19-21 08:36 AM

I haven't watched the movies in ages, but a few days back I reorginized my movie collection and thought to myself, Young Guns needs a rewatch. So now it's fate.

OldBoy 01-19-21 09:52 AM

this is so necessary.

jpcamb 01-19-21 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by dex14 (Post 13876975)
Might not even be a movie.

Superbowl commercial like the Crocildle Dundee thing last year? ;)

Jay G. 01-23-21 07:29 AM

If it's the original cast, can they still call it "Young Guns" at this point?

JeffTheAlpaca 01-23-21 06:31 PM

Was Stephen Dorff in any of the movies? He seemed like a natural to be in one of the roles.

MysterioMan007 01-23-21 08:28 PM

Wow, I never expected to read this... although I will be glad to check it out. I used to watch the first two all the time. It's been many years since I've seen them, though. There's a lot of places they can take this now that they've moved past all of the historical stuff I thought Estevez had stopped acting and them both this and a Mighty Ducks series back to back.

JeffTheAlpaca 01-25-21 02:04 AM

Estevez only pops up every few years when he directs a movie

bralph 01-25-21 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by jpcamb (Post 13877063)
Superbowl commercial like the Crocildle Dundee thing last year? ;)

This would not surprise me at all, especially since we have also seen Die Hard revisited in similar fashion. I loved those movies. Haven't seen them in years though, so now idea if they actually hold up. I do still work in "did you see the size of that chicken?" into conversation more often than one would think you could...

Decker 01-25-21 12:13 PM

^ And Ferris Bueller as well in a Super Bowl commercial.

GoldenJCJ 01-25-21 12:58 PM

This might be a question better suited for a different thread but are they even going all out this year for Super Bowl commercials? I haven’t checked but I would be shocked if companies were paying the millions+ for a 30 second spot this year. I wonder how many of the Super Bowl commercials are going to be more subdued and less extravagant as they’ve been in previous years.

dex14 01-25-21 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ (Post 13881033)
This might be a question better suited for a different thread but are they even going all out this year for Super Bowl commercials? I haven’t checked but I would be shocked if companies were paying the millions+ for a 30 second spot this year. I wonder how many of the Super Bowl commercials are going to be more subdued and less extravagant as they’ve been in previous years.

Here’s an answer to some of that:
https://apnews.com/article/budweiser...14657dfb7f5b90

GoldenJCJ 01-25-21 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by dex14 (Post 13881035)
Here’s an answer to some of that:
https://apnews.com/article/budweiser...14657dfb7f5b90

Thanks for the article. That’s what I was talking about.

Aside from the financial side of it, the optics alone of running a blockbuster ad at $5.5 million for 30 seconds looks terrible.

It’ll be interesting to see exactly how these companies handle the Super Bowl this year. Sounds like a few of those companies who have opted out are doing the smart thing.

dex14 03-16-21 08:38 PM

Re: Guns 3: Alias Billy the Kid (original writer and actors)

Looks like this may actually happen and not just a joke:

Speaking with Collider's own Christina Radish about his upcoming Disney+ series The Mighty Ducks: Game Changers, Estevez revealed that a third installment in the Young Guns series may be closer than you think:

"Yeah, it's definitely in the works. I drive a lot and I spend a lot of time in the Midwest, and people will tell me, ‘We haven't seen you on screen for awhile. Come back! We'd love to see you in the movies again. We'd love to see you play Gordon Bombay. We'd love to see you play Billy the Kid.’ So, I feel like we've ticked one box, and we're working on ticking the other one. The Kid is a fun character to play. There's a lot of speculation about what happened that night, in 1881 in Fort Sumner, New Mexico. Did he die? Did he not? And so, there's a lot of mythical, historical and actually some factual things that we can examine, if we're serious about going back to that franchise, as well."

B5Erik 03-16-21 11:57 PM

Re: Guns III - Alias: Billy the Kid (original writer and actors)

I absolutely LOVE the Young Guns movies - especially the 2nd one.

But they told the story. They're all dead. They didn't live to be a bunch of 60 year old gunslingers.

I mean, if the characters weren't all dead, dead, dead this might be fun. But they're dead.

The 2nd one stretched the truth quite a bit, to the point where the movie wasn't really based on facts, but on a made up story. But it's still a great movie. However, I don't see any way to retcon all the characters' deaths. I just don't see how this could work.

Ash Ketchum 03-17-21 07:22 AM

...if we're serious about going back to that franchise..."
That's the key phrase in that quote from Estevez. The entire quote is nothing but random thoughts Estevez had while driving. No one has offered a dime for YOUNG GUNS III, no one has signed anyone to anything, no one has discussed a sequel with managers, agents, studio execs, producers, etc. Estevez has only thought about it after random people in the midwest suggested he play the part again, despite the fact that Estevez is now 37 years older than Billy the Kid was when he was shot and killed.

E Unit 03-17-21 09:02 AM

Only interested if they reboot this into the MCU.

Runaway 03-17-21 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum (Post 13906921)
That's the key phrase in that quote from Estevez. The entire quote is nothing but random thoughts Estevez had while driving. No one has offered a dime for YOUNG GUNS III, no one has signed anyone to anything, no one has discussed a sequel with managers, agents, studio execs, producers, etc. Estevez has only thought about it after random people in the midwest suggested he play the part again, despite the fact that Estevez is now 37 years older than Billy the Kid was when he was shot and killed.

I wouldn't mind a western with Emilio Estevez, Kiefer Sutherland, Lou Diamond Phillips and Christian Slater but getting them back as Young Guns would be a stretch even if they redcon the real history even more.

dex14 04-13-21 09:48 AM

La Bamba’s success led to a decades-long career for Phillips that includes a plethora of hit movies, including two Young Guns movies as Chavez y Chavez. They grossed $56 million and $59 million, respectively. According to his co-star Emilio Estevez, a third film in the series is currently in the works. Could that mean a return for Phillips’ Chavez?

“I got that phone call a year ago,” he confirmed. “I know that Emilio has been working on it, and what’s even more encouraging is that John Fusco, the creator of the first two movies, is working on it with him. There’s just enough ambiguity about Chavez’s death that means he might have survived just like Billy the Kid did.”

“I will say that there are a couple of other characters where we’re not sure what happened. It’ll maybe be one of those ‘get the band back together’ kind of situation. If they can make it happen, I’ll be there.”
https://www.forbes.com/sites/simonth...h=7251776774ba