Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Guns III - Alias: Billy the Kid (original writer and actors)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Guns III - Alias: Billy the Kid (original writer and actors)

Old 04-13-21, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,159 Likes on 2,035 Posts
Re: Guns III - Alias: Billy the Kid (original writer and actors)

There’s just enough ambiguity about Chavez’s death that means he might have survived just like Billy the Kid did.”

Eh, not really. It’s been a long time since I’ve seen YG2 but I’m pretty sure the audience was specifically made to believe Chavez died. But I guess anyone that wasn’t violently blown away on screen was “ambiguous” to whether they lived or died.

Either way, roll this fucker out! I’ll watch it regardless.
Old 04-13-21, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts

He was shot in the gut in what we were lead to believe was a mortal wound. I don't remember anything more specific than that. The real life Chavez lived to the ripe old age of 72 though.
Old 04-16-21, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

Didn't some freaking mystical white horse show up to carry his soul away into the afterlife? How is that ambiguous?
Old 04-18-21, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 195 Likes on 151 Posts

My guess is that this may actually build in the "Brushy Bill" concept and tell a speculative fiction story of Spurlock, Chavez, and Billy after their alleged "deaths" that takes place before the wraparound sequences of YG2. Only route I can see them taking.
Old 08-12-23, 04:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 699 Likes on 570 Posts
Young Guns III or Guns?

Would you like to see Young Guns 3?

Part III, 30-plus years later, is still in the works.

In 2021, Phillips told us Estevez showed him a first draft of the script, which seemingly returns Chavez to action despite the character’s (apparent) death in Part II.

“What I think is really wonderful is John Fusco, the original creator of both Guns I and II, is doing a polish on the script,” Phillips said. “It’s in a good place, but as far as I know there’s not a green light yet.”

As Estevez told Yahoo earlier this year: “It is now [still in the works]. Part III is something that we’ve been on and off on, working on the script for the better part of a couple years, and trying to figure out all the legal on it, who would be the distributor. … So I think we’re finally there to a certain extent. But that remains to be seen. I certainly think there’s an audience for it. I think nostalgia is now at a premium, so that’s a story that we can get a lot of mileage out of still.

“But we’re not calling it Young anymore, we’re just going to call it Guns.”
https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...150041008.html

Old 08-13-23, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 362 Likes on 262 Posts

I'm too young to remember much about this movie. I remember pieces, and the "I'll make you famous" line. And I remember it being popular

Was there a name for this period of westerns? Pop Westerns or something? I think of putting this and Silverado together. Westerns with filmmaking technique from the era. Complete with that Bon Jovi song.
Old 08-13-23, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 598 Likes on 462 Posts

I enjoyed YG and loved YG2. It's been a while but I recall parts of YG contradict YG2, namely the fates of Scurlock and Chavez, as well as the nature of the relationship between Billy and Garrett (the latter appears in YG in a context that I vaguely recall was at odds with his initially friendly portrayal in YG2). Regardless, I'd watch a YG3.

Originally Posted by Obi-Wanma
He was shot in the gut in what we were lead to believe was a mortal wound. I don't remember anything more specific than that. The real life Chavez lived to the ripe old age of 72 though.
Yeah, some details were loose in the sequel.

The historical Josiah "Doc" Scurlock lived to the age of 80 and died a respectable man in Eastland, Texas in 1929. The film's original screenplay accurately portrays Scurlock as heading to Texas with his bride. It has been reported that Kiefer Sutherland, faced with scheduling conflicts, refused to return to the Young Guns franchise unless his character died in the movie's "Stinking Springs Shoot Out". Writer John Fusco fought against this demand but ultimately rewrote the scene to accommodate Sutherland's schedule.

Similarly, José Chavez y Chavez's death in the movie is also an inaccurate portrayal. The real Chavez y Chavez also lived to be an old man and passed away at the age of 72 in 1924. In both Young Guns I and II, he fights mainly with knives but historical records show that he was as skilled a gunman as the others.

Although Tom O'Folliard was indeed shot by Pat Garrett, he was not from Pennsylvania and nor was he a young boy. He was played by a 14-year-old Balthazar Getty in the film but in real life he was 20–21 years old when he died.

Last edited by RocShemp; 08-13-23 at 10:07 PM.
Old 08-14-23, 02:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,677 Likes on 1,847 Posts

They should call it Old Guns.