Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Whale (2022, D: Aronofsky) S: Brendan Fraser, Sadie Sink, Hong Chau

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Whale (2022, D: Aronofsky) S: Brendan Fraser, Sadie Sink, Hong Chau

Old 01-22-23, 01:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 94 Likes on 65 Posts
Re: The Whale (2022, D: Aronofsky) S: Brendan Fraser, Sadie Sink, Hong Chau

This was a hard movie to watch. I was Fraser at the beginning of the film. I think our blood pressures were the same actually. I was morbidly obese. I did go to the hospital. Got out, went again a week later, got out. My body was shutting down. When I got out the second time I turned my life around and have so far lost over a third of my body weight. That binging scene was so painful to watch.

Want to hear something honest? I'm still him, albeit not physically (no, not a cry for help, just sharing).

I'll be thinking about this film for a long time. Just finished watching it (I'm standing at the movie theater typing this on my phone). I hated the ending, but maybe it didn't imply he went to heaven. Need to read up everything I can find on the internet about it. And watch the movie again. Did he even walk. Did he die when she turned away to leave and the rest didn't happen? That's how I hope the ending really went.

Everyone's acting was a masterpiece. This better win big. Everywhere. I've always been a Fraser fan. This movie is the definition of a masterpiece.

Last edited by GatorDeb; 01-22-23 at 05:51 PM.
Old 01-22-23, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 261 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by GatorDeb View Post
Did he even walk. Did he die when she turned away to leave and the rest didn't happen? That's how I hope the ending really went.
That's interesting, it never occurred to me he didn't actually walk, that the "fantasy" images started there. You've now changed the way I'm thinking about the movie.

Sounds like an intense viewing experience for you. Thanks for sharing your reaction and thoughts.
Old 01-23-23, 10:57 AM

Received 3,417 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by GatorDeb View Post
This was a hard movie to watch. I was Fraser at the beginning of the film. I think our blood pressures were the same actually. I was morbidly obese. I did go to the hospital. Got out, went again a week later, got out. My body was shutting down. When I got out the second time I turned my life around and have so far lost over a third of my body weight. That binging scene was so painful to watch.

Want to hear something honest? I'm still him, albeit not physically (no, not a cry for help, just sharing).

I'll be thinking about this film for a long time. Just finished watching it (I'm standing at the movie theater typing this on my phone). I hated the ending, but maybe it didn't imply he went to heaven. Need to read up everything I can find on the internet about it. And watch the movie again. Did he even walk. Did he die when she turned away to leave and the rest didn't happen? That's how I hope the ending really went.

Everyone's acting was a masterpiece. This better win big. Everywhere. I've always been a Fraser fan. This movie is the definition of a masterpiece.
A criticism I've seen is that the film can feel exploitative of his size (like the shots of him walking, or in the shower, etc.). I didn't think so, but I'd be curious to see what you thought. Did you feel it was?
Old 01-23-23, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dex14 View Post
A criticism I've seen is that the film can feel exploitative of his size (like the shots of him walking, or in the shower, etc.). I didn't think so, but I'd be curious to see what you thought. Did you feel it was?
I WAS surprised at the number of fat jokes. I did laugh at every one of them. When she's telling the missionary she's his daughter and he acts surprised and she says are you surprised that a or are you surprised that b, I guffawed and then went crap I shouldn't laugh at that joke and stopped laughing, feeling guilty for having laughed.

I lost half of my body weight once and regained it all back plus 10 lbs. I have to be careful when I'm not fat that I have to change the way I talk and act considerably, the words I use, so it's something I'm always cognizant of. I'm 5'4" and was 240 lbs and now I'm at 155.2 lbs, about 10.2 lbs overweight, but you wouldn't think twice about my size. Something I've noticed is that it's taboo to talk about fat people. I've never had anybody say to me you sure you want to eat all that? But when I was skinny (113 lbs) I'd ask for the nutrition menu at restaurants and a waitress said to me you don't look like you need the nutrition menu and I replied I don't look like I need it because I use it. I was at a gathering once for the Jewish New Year and I wanted a bite of the New Year cake (like a literal bite not a slice) for the significance, not for the cake, and a person of size said to me, grab a slice, looks like you need it. Of course I didn't reply you should put that huge slice back, then, since it looks like you don't need it. Because THAT'D be rude. Skinny shaming is rampant in society and accepted. It would set off binging episodes for me because people would constantly comment on my size when skinny and it eventually contributed to me regaining the weight. But I'm stronger this time around.

If someone mentions my weight when I start looking skinny I will totally say how would you feel if I made comments about your weight? Because 9.9 times out of ten it's fat people commenting on skinny people's weight. As a reference I've been skinny 3 years out of my 44 years of life (2011 to 2014) and the rest overweight to morbidly obese.

People would tell me I'm anorexic. I actually looked it up and had weight tables ready and my height and offered to get on a scale and have myself checked into inpatient treatment if I had an anorexic weight or they could stop talking about it if I was a healthy weight. For some reason those people never took me up in the offer. I always kept myself at a healthy weight for height. I used to do marathons and triathlons.

For all the talk in society about fat shaming, thin shaming is rampant.

So yeah I may have a couple of thoughts on the matter
Old 01-25-23, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 103 Likes on 63 Posts

I only partially know what this movie is about but it made me think of something the other day as far as diet goes. I'm really fit and have been for a while now. I have a few extra pounds, but I don't care because I have much more muscle and again, I always feel great because of how much I work out (I'm not saying that staying in shape means you have no health issues either).

But with all that said, I recently noticed that I have an addiction to sweets - I eat little chocolate's randomly and somewhat constantly throughout the day - when I run out, I always make it priority to go stock up on some more - did this for a few months before I caught on that hey......this isn't good. even though it's not that much, I still shouldn't be doing this.

It made realize that all of us probably have some sort of eating disorder to an extent and we may not even know it. This includes morbidly obese people as well.

I feel mine is definitely out of boredom and general sugar addiction (definitely not stress) and I know you can say "Yeah but, millions of people do what I do, snack on sweets all day long even if it's just very small portions - it's normal" it's not though - especially considering the rest of my diet is very clean.
Old 01-25-23, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

All I know is I was craving KFC on the way from the theater and I haven't wanted KFC in almost a year (I'm keto).