Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Wonder Woman 1984 (Jenkins, 2020) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Wonder Woman 1984 (Jenkins, 2020) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
2.27%
2.27%
5.68%
14.77%
17.05%
21.59%
21.59%
6.82%
4.55%
2.27%
1.14%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Wonder Woman 1984 (Jenkins, 2020) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-20, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,196 Likes on 2,063 Posts
Re: Wonder Woman 1984 (Jenkins, 2020) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by dex14
Who saw Diana or captured her on film for Bruce or Clark to recognize, know of her, or associate her with this event 30 years later?
Which begs the question, if Diana goes out of her way to make sure she isn’t seen (knocking out security cameras, etc) then why is she running around in a bright red, gold, and blue suit? You’d think she’d be far less noticeable in a pair of blue jeans and a grey hoodie.
Old 12-27-20, 10:30 PM

Received 4,578 Likes on 3,099 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
Which begs the question, if Diana goes out of her way to make sure she isn’t seen (knocking out security cameras, etc) then why is she running around in a bright red, gold, and blue suit? You’d think she’d be far less noticeable in a pair of blue jeans and a grey hoodie.
Because then we wouldn’t get to see her half naked. And we’d all care even less about the movie.
The following 2 users liked this post by dex14:
ddrknghtrtns (12-27-20), mikehunt (04-21-23)
Old 12-27-20, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

Originally Posted by mapasu
5 stars for Soul
But the thread and poll is for WW84. You're the only person to give a 5-star.
Old 12-27-20, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
But the thread and poll is for WW84. You're the only person to give a 5-star.
He clarified his answer later on and explained that he did enjoy it.
Old 12-27-20, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
He clarified his answer later on and explained that he did enjoy it.
Musta missed it. I'll blame Patty Jenkins.
Old 12-27-20, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,196 Likes on 2,063 Posts

Because then we wouldn’t get to see her half naked. And we’d all care even less about the movie.
You have a point. Maybe we’ll get to see grungy Wonder Woman with jeans and a dark hoodie in the next installment: Wonder Woman 1991.
The following users liked this post:
ddrknghtrtns (12-27-20)
Old 12-27-20, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
You have a point. Maybe we’ll get to see grungy Wonder Woman with jeans and a dark hoodie in the next installment: Wonder Woman 1991.
Wonder Woman: The Dark Phoenix Saga
Old 12-28-20, 04:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,932 Likes on 1,494 Posts

Finally watched it. Initial thoughts:

I know this was part of the gimmick or pitch or whatever but they were better off just making a modern day WW movie. Then they wouldn't have to connect the dots in such a terrible, Star Wars like way to try to make sure WW wasn't widely known in the past. Sure she takes out security cameras but c'mon now. Some of the 80s stuff was cute but not really necessary.

Somone mentioned earlier an inconsistency in the plot where the wishes were granted immediately but other than Cheetah it seemed like all the wishes were granted right away but the effect of the wishes (like losing powers) was gradual.

Cheetahs transformation doesn't even make sense. She wanted to turn into a cheetah? What? No she wanted to be powerful but also fit in, the cost of that being her compassion. That apex predator crap just seemed thrown in to link her origin to the wish stone.

Are we really to believe that every single person gave up their wish?

I thought for sure the son's wish to make his dad great would be the deciding factor in turning Max around but to my knowledge his wish did nothing.

I swear in the first movie Ares is like one of the most powerful gods and kills Zeus or something. But he's a chump power wise compared to whatever god had the power to make this wishing stone.

What the hell was Max's plan? We saw later on he got sick and decided to grant people's wishes so he could drain their health. But why the hell was he so obsessed with granting wishes before that, which only made him sicker? The oil stuff I could understand but why everyone else? Then the pseudo science with the "touching everyone via satellite" which the movie itself even kind of shrugs its shoulders and says "eh, maybe that could work" (I did like that the lasso showed him the truth, though, and thought maybe somehow that showed everyone the truth and that's what convinced them to give up their wishes, but if that was their intention they didn't drive that home)

I'm also supposed to buy that Max cares so much about his son but we see several instances where the son is more of an annoyance to him than anything.

Really unnecessary to bring back Steve in the body of another person. Gross as well. If you want to bring him back just magically bring him back, makes the moral dilemma a lot less one sided as well.

Please tell me the golden, St. seiya like armor was forced on them by the toy company because besides being a cool visual that was completely unnecessary. I thought she would need it because her powers were waning (which is a plot from Simonson's Thor run) but nope she had her powers intact.

I also thought she would snap Max's neck on tv and that would be the factor that would force her into hiding. That would've been an homage to the comics, been true to her character from the first movie and explained her retreating from being a super hero for a few decades.

lastly, as a side note to explain to my kids what the cameo was at the end we watched part of the pilot for the original WW tv show. Dang, Carter is more than just nostalgia. And that's all I'll say on that.
The following 2 users liked this post by fujishig:
mikehunt (04-21-23), Why So Blu? (12-28-20)
Old 12-28-20, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 203 Likes on 157 Posts

But to the public’s knowledge, the event isn’t associated with Diana.

The Diana part is irrelevant. It's the fact that at no point in any other DCEU movie has anyone mentioned the near cataclysmic events of WW 84. Also, wouldn't the people in the mall who actually saw her have some recollection, not to mention the fact that she fought some Secret Service guys at the White House?
Old 12-28-20, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
The Diana part is irrelevant. It's the fact that at no point in any other DCEU movie has anyone mentioned the near cataclysmic events of WW 84. Also, wouldn't the people in the mall who actually saw her have some recollection, not to mention the fact that she fought some Secret Service guys at the White House?
You’re right about it being irrelevant. Why would any of that be mentioned in the two other movies? I’m sure Batman had a bunch a crazy stories and events he lived through, but he and Superman don’t take time out of the movie to shoot the shit about it, let alone some event from 30 years ago. That’s basically like saying every movie about a NYC cop should have a scene where they talk about 9/11.

Sure people saw her in action, but neither of those people are Bruce and Clark.

Last edited by dex14; 12-28-20 at 10:05 AM.
Old 12-28-20, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
You’re right about it being irrelevant. Why would any of that be mentioned in the two other movies? I’m sure Batman had a bunch a crazy stories and events he lived through, but he and Superman don’t take time out of the movie to shoot the shit about it, let alone some event from 30 years ago. That’s basically like saying every movie about a NYC cop should have a scene where they talk about 9/11.

This is a problem that you have when you have no roadmap for a film series. It's actually a really good point because Wonder Woman's speech would have been heard by everyone and probably would have been recorded as well. Bruce would have been old enough to remember the events. The big question is does Diana go back into hiding or does she continue to help people and stop crime. That's the part that bugs me. They want to have it both ways. If she gets involved in a mall robbery, I'd say it is safe to assume that she would fight crime all the time. That means she would be well documented by the time BvS comes around.

Oh and I guess they make poster boards for top secret installations and just happen to have them displayed in the oval office.
Why So Blu? (12-28-20)
Old 12-28-20, 10:26 AM

Even if it was recorded, it was only her voice.

If Bruce remembers the event, which I wouldn’t doubt, he and the rest of the world associate Lord as the person with the event.
Old 12-28-20, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Well, then that would make Batman the world's shittiest detective if he was not able to find anything on WW from 1984. Just the one picture from 1917? One would think that a Google search could bring up the events of 1984 featuring WW. It's just shitty storytelling.
Old 12-28-20, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

I watched this a second time and still really like it. I'm surprised it's 99% negative on here, with many actually trashing it like it's going to win Razzies.

My main takeaway: The plot was fun and goofy and never gets too dark and violent. The antagonist is barely a villain. I really enjoyed it, and it felt special. Similar to the two MCU Spiderman movies.
Old 12-28-20, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Well, then that would make Batman the world's shittiest detective if he was not able to find anything on WW from 1984. Just the one picture from 1917? One would think that a Google search could bring up the events of 1984 featuring WW. It's just shitty storytelling.
But again, the events of 1984 aren’t about WW, they’re about Max Lord. Who took her picture? Was this an alternate 1984 where everyone had camera phones?
Old 12-28-20, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts

But again, the events of 1984 aren’t about WW, they’re about Max Lord. Who took her picture? Was this an alternate 1984 where everyone had camera phones?
You act like the 80s was the dark ages. People may not have had camera phones, but people did carry cameras around. Security cameras existed. Diana can't get them all. The problem is that we were led to believe she's been in hiding but this movie contradicts that. It's not really a huge deal. It's just another example at how directionless this universe really is. They're throwing ideas at a dartboard at this point, which is fine as long as the movies are entertaining.
mikehunt (04-21-23)
Old 12-28-20, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

As I said before, this is the Star Wars Obi Won Kenobi/Yoda problem all over again, they painted themselves into a corner trying to connect the dots. Better to think of this and Aquaman as separate from the JL film, or at least in a slightly alternate reality (because IIRC the Aquaman scenes with Mera don't really jive with their scene in JL).

It'd be one thing if she was operating incognito or even in plain clothes and helping people out, like Carter's character, but in full costume with such a high profile case? I mean the ramifications were clearly left over even after the wishes were rescinded, given the trash on the WH lawn. But if not for continuity we wouldn't care as much. Again, set this in the present and you lose the cutesy style but remove this particular issue with little impact on the plot (plus if he were willing I'd have no problem keeping Pine around in the present through some shenanigans, since he's one of the best parts of both movies).
Old 12-28-20, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by Neil M.
You act like the 80s was the dark ages. People may not have had camera phones, but people did carry cameras around. Security cameras existed. Diana can't get them all. The problem is that we were led to believe she's been in hiding but this movie contradicts that. It's not really a huge deal. It's just another example at how directionless this universe really is. They're throwing ideas at a dartboard at this point, which is fine as long as the movies are entertaining.
But when would they have snapped a photo? In the DC scene, she wasn’t in a street fight or saving people. She was limping around and then runs down the street with super speed and then swings off. Attention wasn’t on her.

The movie makes the point to show her disabling video cameras. Her entire motivation in BvS is to retrieve the photo from Lex. He is the one who has a file on her, which includes other pictures and videos. Though, that scene is dumb because if she was so concerned over one photo, she wouldn’t be on an ATM video recording. But it shows that she continues to try and hide her tracks and erase any known documents of her.

The point I’m making is that in the grand scheme of these events, to the public, she was not a focal point of it. If people remember the events, they’ll remember Max Lord.

I think the movie generally wasn’t good, but I don’t see this as a point of contention.

Last edited by dex14; 12-28-20 at 12:08 PM.
Old 12-28-20, 11:52 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 907 Likes on 767 Posts

why are we lightly arguing and trying to rationalize a pretty crappy movie? it's pointless. this movie was complete filler.
Old 12-28-20, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,154 Likes on 901 Posts

You guys are overthinking the continuity of these DCEU movies. They have little connectivity to each other outside the three Snyder did, and that’s only because those were intended to flow together.

The solo films seemingly do as they please with the continuity, and throw out or ignore elements.
Old 12-28-20, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts

Are yall forgeting LEX LUTHOR did all the footwork(stole the pic, tracked her down, had lots of data etc) on Diana and the rest of the Metas? This wasn't some rando on Reddit.
Old 12-28-20, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

It's an age old comic book problem. Something worldwide happens and you wonder what all the other heroes were doing and why are they there dealing with it. The first time I saw this addressed in a cartoon was on JL Unlimited where Hawkgril was on a mission with some other b-listers and they all talked about what happened when the Thanagarians invaded Earth. For the last few years comic movies have connected things and addressed them but then again, yall hate when DC connects their films.

You just gotta let some shit go...

Last edited by Giantrobo; 12-28-20 at 12:16 PM.
Old 12-28-20, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
It's an age old comic book problem. Something worldwide happens and you wonder what all the other heroes were doing and why are they there dealing with it. The first time I saw this addressed in a cartoon was on JL Unlimited where Hawkgril was on a mission with some other b-listers and they all talked aobut what happened when the Thanagarians invaded Earth. For the last few years comic movies have connected things and addressed them but then again, yall hate when DC connects their films.

You just gotta let some shit go...
It's way enhanced in a cinematic universe (or a more grounded comic universe) though. In comics, at some point cosmic events happen all the time and people are used to purple giants coming to eat the world. In this universe, someone like Wonder Woman and her powers really stands out, let alone some event where a con man got access to a global array of satellites and caused the entire world to go crazy for a brief moment (I mean people saw freaking nuclear missiles being launched).

But yes, it's better to just turn off your brain and think of this as a slightly different continuity. The major problem is even if you do that this isn't a good movie by any stretch.

I also highly doubt they connect this to Metamorpho in any meaningful way, it was just something for the comic fans like the invisible jet.
Old 12-28-20, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by fujishig
It's way enhanced in a cinematic universe (or a more grounded comic universe) though. In comics, at some point cosmic events happen all the time and people are used to purple giants coming to eat the world. In this universe, someone like Wonder Woman and her powers really stands out, let alone some event where a con man got access to a global array of satellites and caused the entire world to go crazy for a brief moment (I mean people saw freaking nuclear missiles being launched).

But yes, it's better to just turn off your brain and think of this as a slightly different continuity. The major problem is even if you do that this isn't a good movie by any stretch.
I get that. And i'm not saying it's ok. It's just something I've had issues with as a comic fan since I was a kid. So at this age it's something I can easily let go even if today's Comic films try to address Global Events and Mass Hero Sighting in a good way.
Old 12-28-20, 12:38 PM
Administrator

Received 1,068 Likes on 621 Posts

I thought the movie was OK. I'm big on theme, especially in superhero movies, and I liked how it tackled American culture and Reaganism, as well as the global pissing contest of the Cold War. I thought all the actors did a good job. The CGI was definitely highly variable from awful to great, but I didn't have any trouble following the wishing logic. My biggest gripe by far is the editing. Characters seem to warp places or know or acquire things immediately. I would have reworked the chase scene a little and had the White House be the climax. I think a solid 30min needed to be sliced off.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.