Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Wonder Woman 1984 (Jenkins, 2020) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Wonder Woman 1984 (Jenkins, 2020) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
2.27%
2.27%
5.68%
14.77%
17.05%
21.59%
21.59%
6.82%
4.55%
2.27%
1.14%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Wonder Woman 1984 (Jenkins, 2020) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-20, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Re: Wonder Woman 1984 (Jenkins, 2020) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

What a mess. Yet another failed DC film, and a true disappointment. I also agree with those who say that the actor who played Max Lord was just awful, and the plot was absolutely illogical and nonsensical. The only segments I thoroughly enjoyed were the majestic flying scenes with Wonder Woman, which reminded me of those from Christopher Reeve's SUPERMAN.

Also forgot to add that the jet invisibility power left me slack-jawed as to its stupidity. (Is this taken from the current comics?)

Last edited by DieselsDen; 12-26-20 at 01:32 AM.
Old 12-26-20, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by JasonF
This was not good, though as a Gen-X Washingtonian, I enjoyed seeing 1984 Washington D.C. Commander Salamander was back!

Plotwise, this was a fiasco, and while Gadot and Pine have great chemistry, the characters weren't given a chance to do anything more than wander through the disjointed narrative. It's a shame, because I really liked the first one, but this was as terrible as every other* DCU movie.

* To be fair, I've only seen Superman, Superman/Batman, WW, and JLA. Maybe Aquaman or Shazam or Suicide Squad are better.
AQUAMAN is worse than WONDER WOMAN, and SHAZAM is just about on the same level. SUICIDE SQUAD is slightly better.
Old 12-26-20, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ

It was nice to see Lynda Carter but her scene made no sense in the context of anything we’ve seen in this series. Also, I know it’s been awhile since she played WW but her voice seemed off. Like a crack addict trying to recite lines. It was odd.

I stayed through the end credits thinking there would be a post-credits scene but then I realized that the DC universe is such a fucking mess that I don’t think they would even know what to tease in that scene.
I agree. We should have seen at least one interaction between the old and new WONDER WOMAN, otherwise Lynda Carter's scene is like some weird afterthought. Maybe next time they can get Cathy Lee Crosby for a cameo.
Old 12-26-20, 01:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Yea they screwed this up on SOOO many levels. The edit sucks its WAY to long. Story sucked. effects sucked. And wtf is with her turning into Superman ....did they forget what movie they were making. That annoyed the shit out of me. Also like someone says WHY was this 84....no seriously. NOTHING makes this 84.

It's not awful but there were just to many fucking mistakes made during the making of this film and they add up to a lot. 2 1/2 stars and thats being kind. Gal is still awesome though.
Old 12-26-20, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonF
This was not good, though as a Gen-X Washingtonian, I enjoyed seeing 1984 Washington D.C. Commanderw Salamander was back!

Plotwise, this was a fiasco, and while Gadot and Pine have great chemistry, the characters weren't given a chance to do anything more than wander through the disjointed narrative. It's a shame, because I really liked the first one, but this was as terrible as every other* DCU movie.

* To be fair, I've only seen Superman, Superman/Batman, WW, and JLA. Maybe Aquaman or Shazam or Suicide Squad are better.
Seeing Commander Salamander was the best part of this movie for me.
Old 12-26-20, 01:58 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

It was nice to see Lynda Carter but her scene made no sense in the context of anything we’ve seen in this series. Also, I know it’s been awhile since she played WW but her voice seemed off. Like a crack addict trying to recite lines. It was odd.
I've noticed Lynda Carter's weird speaking voice for a few years now. She has a recurring role on the Supergirl TV series and I was stumped why she sounded so weird. It sounds like she's a recovering stroke victim.

A few of you have said that Carter's cameo made no sense. But, I guess most of you completely missed the part where Diana told the story of Asteria, who Carter played, as she was a legendary Amazonian warrior. And she originally wore the golden suit that Diana wore in the fight scene with Cheetah.
Old 12-26-20, 03:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DJariya
A few of you have said that Carter's cameo made no sense. But, I guess most of you completely missed the part where Diana told the story of Asteria, who Carter played, as she was a legendary Amazonian warrior. And she originally wore the golden suit that Diana wore in the fight scene with Cheetah.
I understood the reference, but her appearance still is a non sequitur. Is she also fighting crime in America? Does she communicate with Diana Prince? Why show her at all if she is not even a tangential part of the story? (The movie ends when it's Christmas time, and Carter appears in a scene which looks like it's from a different season.

Linda Carter's appearance was obviously fan-service, but was more awkward than endearing.
Old 12-26-20, 06:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 398 Likes on 321 Posts

This one is a bit disappointing. The movie is way to stretched in the middle and to many developments could be seen a mile away. Making Kristen Wiig into clumsy und weirdly clothed was just lazy. She wishes to be cool like Diana and all she needs is a haircut and a dress. It took Freddie Prinze, Jr. more effort to turn Rachael Leigh Cook into a hot chick.
Max Lord was way over the top, but I think he was going for the coked up Wall Street guy, without actually showing him doing cocaine. Cheetah looked suprisingly good, the CGI in the trailer was definitely worse, but the fight wasn't much longer than in the trailer which was a let down.
Gadot and Pine still work, they have a great chemistry and their scenes made the movie entertaining, but it was a bit too much, that Diana is still actively mourning ~70 years after his death.
Overall this was a step back from the first one.
Old 12-26-20, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Too bad I voted early on this one. I gave it a 3 star, but it's settling at a 2 star now. Just so much glaringly stupid shit in here. Also, Adagio in D Minor? I can't even get some actual pop songs from 1984 and they throw that in there? WTF?
This is an inherent problem with DC movies as a whole (with the sole exception being Shazam which stands up to repeat viewings). People watch the movie with a whole lot of good will, but after time and reflection (and repeat views) opinion usually changes. In some cases quite dramatically. It was highly memorable to me seeing Suicide Squad for the first time. I was with my family, in a good mood and was with an audience that ate it up. I walked out having actually enjoyed it. Then i rewatched it and i was shocked at how my initial reaction was so way off base. I have caught it a couple more times when out and about and these days i despise that movie. DC movies really do a horrible job in longevity.

As for Jenkins, well i get the feeling she (along with almost everyone except Favreau) will not be given the same freedom allowed to Rian Johnson. Disney will be keeping a tight reign on their productions, and even more so after this release. She was supposed to direct Thor:The Dark World if i recall, and wonder if she left due to creative differences. Wouldnt be surprised if that happens again.
The following users liked this post:
Why So Blu? (12-26-20)
Old 12-26-20, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero - 2023 TOTY Award Winner

Received 2,171 Likes on 1,222 Posts

Have not watched it (and now probably won't) but my more comic book-oriented Facebook friends are raging pretty hard about this one this morning.
Old 12-26-20, 09:43 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

wow, did this movie suck. no redeeming qualities whatsoever. no fun, terrible villains and the action and story were complete an utter crap. haven't disliked a movie, let alone a superhero movie, this much, in a long time. absolutely abysmal. thank god i watched Soul prior. at least i got one beautiful, well-crafted movie on X-Mas day. this was totally forgettable and such a complete departure from the original, that i am just shocked considering who made it and all that were involved. and the Carter cameo was terrible and unnecessary as well. i even thought she delivered her one line with miraculous ineptitude.

not sure it deserves this much, but what the hey, it is the holiday season...

Last edited by OldBoy; 12-26-20 at 10:23 AM.
Old 12-26-20, 10:00 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Oldboy is my Stuckman.
Old 12-26-20, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,194 Likes on 2,061 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
I've noticed Lynda Carter's weird speaking voice for a few years now. She has a recurring role on the Supergirl TV series and I was stumped why she sounded so weird. It sounds like she's a recovering stroke victim.
Well, if that’s the case, I feel bad for my “crack addict” quip.

I also don’t want to make a feminist argument out of this movie because I don’t think there is one here. I love the character of Wonder Woman and I’m glad she is around to be a positive role model for young girls everywhere BUT with the exception of Steve and maybe Steve’s body replacement, literally every male in this movie was a complete sleaze ball. I was only a kid in the 80s but I didn’t remember every public outing being a gauntlet skeezy dudes making crude comments as women walk by.
Old 12-26-20, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by E Unit
Oldboy is my Stuckman.
?
Old 12-26-20, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

As far as the Lynda Carter voice and all, I think it's too much plastic surgery. Carrie Fisher had the same sort of inflection in her later years.
Old 12-26-20, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

it was a bad movie. No logic whatsoever. I cracked up when Diana said Steve doesn't have a passport. The dude he was occupying probably did. The stupidity continues where Steve and Diana stole the jet. Come on. You don't just hand a guy a smart phone if he has only used a rotary.

Edit: Are they going to make a live action Metamorpho since they showed his father in law? I don't recall Simon Stagg in any WW comic story or at least those I read in the 70's - 90's.

Last edited by mrhan; 12-26-20 at 11:48 AM.
Old 12-26-20, 11:46 AM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

Thematically it seems like they changed a lot of things at the last moment.

I thought the recent iteration of WW was depicted as an uncompromising warrior bad-ass who won't hesitate to use deadly force if necessary? When she says, "Sorry Barbara" to Cheetah when she refuses to renounce her wish, I was almost certain she decided to kill her. With what happened to Maxwell Lord in the comics, I'm surprised she didn't decide to go that route here as well- it would have ended things quickly. I thought that was the whole conclusion they came to when in the bookshop?
Old 12-26-20, 11:53 AM

and what was Diana talking into at the end for everyone to renounce their wishes (except us and breaking the 4th wall, i thought)? i thought all the communication gear blew up and what the hell was that blue light Lord was standing in at end? the whole movie was just so bad, i know he produced, as with all the DC movies, but, i'm surprised Snyder wasn't the director. the whole movie was just an incoherent mess.
Old 12-26-20, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by mrhan
it was a bad movie. No logic whatsoever. I cracked up when Diana said Steve doesn't have a passport. The dude he was occupying probably did. The stupidity continues where Steve and Diana stole the jet. Come on. You don't just hand a guy a smart phone if he has only used a rotary.
Overall, I enjoyed that whole flying scene but I thought that as well.

It also seemed that the “invisible plane” stuff was more lazy writing:

Writer 1: “How do we bring Steve back?”
Writer 2: “Um...magic!”
Writer 1: “Ok, so how about her invisible plane?”
Writer 2: “Invisible plane, invisible plane. Hmm...oh I know, magic!”
Writer 1: “Brilliant! We’re on a roll!”
Old 12-26-20, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Overall, I enjoyed that whole flying scene but I thought that as well.

It also seemed that the “invisible plane” stuff was more lazy writing:

Writer 1: “How do we bring Steve back?”
Writer 2: “Um...magic!”
Writer 1: “Ok, so how about her invisible plane?”
Writer 2: “Invisible plane, invisible plane. Hmm...oh I know, magic!”
Writer 1: “Brilliant! We’re on a roll!”
I haven't read a WW comic in decades but I do recall their technology was more advanced than the outside world. They just chose to live simply but had tons of high tech machinery including the invisible jet. I'm assuming all that has been thrown out with all the reboots they had since the 80's.
Old 12-26-20, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 113 Likes on 75 Posts

Well, if that’s the case, I feel bad for my “crack addict” quip.

I also don’t want to make a feminist argument out of this movie because I don’t think there is one here. I love the character of Wonder Woman and I’m glad she is around to be a positive role model for young girls everywhere BUT with the exception of Steve and maybe Steve’s body replacement, literally every male in this movie was a complete sleaze ball. I was only a kid in the 80s but I didn’t remember every public outing being a gauntlet skeezy dudes making crude comments as women walk by.

I was in my teens and i think it happen more often then not. You go to an office party or party in general and appear alone and are as hot as diana and you will get hit on 90% of the time. lol
Old 12-26-20, 12:23 PM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
As far as the Lynda Carter voice and all, I think it's too much plastic surgery. Carrie Fisher had the same sort of inflection in her later years.
I had heard that she had injured her vocal cords singing years ago. That, along with age and alcoholism can change people's voices, which is also what happened with Carrie Fisher.
Why So Blu? (12-26-20)
Old 12-26-20, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Hood
I had heard that she had injured her vocal cords singing years ago. That, along with age and alcoholism can change people's voices, which is also what happened with Carrie Fisher.
Yes I’ve heard that she’s a recovering alcoholic.
Old 12-26-20, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by csant
I was in my teens and i think it happen more often then not. You go to an office party or party in general and appear alone and are as hot as diana and you will get hit on 90% of the time. lol
I’m sure it happened but it just felt excessive here. Everything from the Asian co-worker just walking by Barbara when she spilled her papers at the beginning to literally every guy at every turn trying to hit on Diana and Barbara, to the drunk guy in the park, etc.

I assume they were going for a “80s yuppie” stereotype during the movie but it was a bit overboard.
Old 12-26-20, 12:28 PM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts

One thing I liked was the introduction of Simon Stagg. He's a villain in DC Comics, mostly related to Rex Mason, aka Metamorpho, who is rumored to appeared in Black Adam. Stagg usually has a bodyguard named Java, a super-powered Neanderthal.
Giantrobo (12-27-20)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.