Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Wonder Woman 1984 (Jenkins, 2020) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Wonder Woman 1984 (Jenkins, 2020) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
2.27%
2.27%
5.68%
14.77%
17.05%
21.59%
21.59%
6.82%
4.55%
2.27%
1.14%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Wonder Woman 1984 (Jenkins, 2020) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-20, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,004 Likes on 624 Posts
Re: Wonder Woman 1984 (Jenkins, 2020) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by DJariya
I just finished it. It's nowhere near as good as the 1st movie. And yes some parts are quite cheesy and campy. But, Gadot and Pine were IMO still the highlights. Gadot is still so charming as Diana/Wonder Woman. And there are a lot of moments with heart and humor. In the last act when Diana said goodbye to Steve was a very moving scene. At least the way he came back made sense having his spirit inhabit someone else's body. I guess the stolen jet scene could be the origin of the "Invisible Jet"
I agree that the Gadot/Pine chemistry still worked well. My favorite exchange was actually when they were stealing the plane:

(paraphrased)
Steve: "Watch this--I'll fly where they can't see us!"
Diana: "Oh... I forgot to tell you about radar. They can see us wherever we go."
Steve: "... Well... shit, Diana."

The following 4 users liked this post by Cellar Door:
B.A. (12-25-20), Brack (12-28-20), candyrocket786 (12-25-20), DJariya (12-25-20)
Old 12-25-20, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

Wish I could say it was worth the wait, but man was this bad. Her fight scenes were mostly great, but there was not nearly enough Wonder Woman in the movie. The plot was just stupid and Cheetah looked ridiculous. Even the extra scene during the credits was bad.

Last edited by Maxflier; 12-25-20 at 06:07 PM.
Old 12-25-20, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts

Originally Posted by devilshalo
My feeling was that the movie treated the source as two different entities. So she gained Diana's powers and popularity with the stone. But since Max becomes a separate stone later with his wish, she was able to be granted another in which she chose her predatory evolution. However, it's not clear when Max renounces, how individuals prior to him granting wishes were affected. Just because you kill Dracula, do all vampires cease at that point? And when Max finds Alister, it's not as if everything went back to the way it was before or at least it wasn't immediate.
When genie guy renounced his wish, it didn't negate other wishes. You saw the president renounce his wish after that (and others) and then bombs and explosions disappearing. But yes, it was incredibly inconsistent because there were still obvious traces of previous wishes as well. I just think the movie was kind of a mess, and the ending is a reflection of that. As was said, maybe a case of too many cooks in the kitchen.
Old 12-25-20, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 217 Likes on 130 Posts

Just finished this and it was pretty disappointing. The acting was good, but the other elements were mediocre to bad. My initial reaction is that it joins Batman v Superman at the bottom of my list of DCEU flicks.
Old 12-25-20, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 94 Likes on 76 Posts

Let’s hope this effort doesn’t repeat with Rogue Squadron then...
Old 12-25-20, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,154 Likes on 901 Posts

Originally Posted by davidlynchfan
Let’s hope this effort doesn’t repeat with Rogue Squadron then...
That is a tad concerning as more of a Star Wars fan than a Wonder Woman fan. Especially with Star Wars as a franchise starting to get more on track.

A lot of people have been talking her up, but really her filmography doesn’t stand out as that great.

She hasn’t worked a ton in feature films, and while Monster was acclaimed it was seventeen years ago. Wonder Woman was a big hit and pretty good. I’m just not sure she’s really earned high praise.

Also wasn’t this movie supposed to be more of her vision even compared to the first one?
Old 12-25-20, 06:49 PM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts

It was an ok, entertaining movie, but the first was so good that is hard to compare it to that one. What carries the film is Gal and Pine's chemistry, but the plot was a mess and the film should have taken more from the source material than what they used, specially with Max Lord. In the comic books, Lord is a manipulative, irredeemable con artist villain. Having a son here, and renouncing his powers for him felt contrived and not very villain-like. Lord should have been kept around as a future villain, someone being behind the Suicide Squad or something along those lines. Wigg was great as Cheetah and I hope they bring her back at some point.

One more thing: Gadot is just stunningly beautiful. The best thing that could have happened to her was being cast as Wonder Woman.
The following users liked this post:
DJariya (12-25-20)
Old 12-25-20, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Just finished it and it was just ok. It's only 2.5 hours, but felt longer. There's the lead into just the middle part of the film that took fucking forever to get there. Outside of the prologue, which was the only scene to open up into full screen 1.78:1 mode; the shootout at the mall, nothing happens until the scene in the Arabic highway.

It's beyond campy and they really didn't emphasize the 1980's all that much. Shit, the 80's infused trailers were way more 80's than the film. It felt incongruent considering the timeline. No soundtrack or nostalgia at all. Hell, I don't even remember the fanny pack scene at all or the trashcan as contemporary art, etc.

It had some nice action and Diana discovering how to fly was cool and Cheetah looked way better than I though she would. Is it better than the first film? Nope.
Agree to all of this. It was just o.k. The first one was great and word of mouth carried it to 400M domestically. If there were no pandemic and people could only see this in theaters, no way would it have matched the original's box-office. I bet it would have struggled to reach 300M. Probably closer to 250M. I will say this, having lived in the D.C. area my whole life, they captured/recreated 80's Georgetown beautifully. Overall, I gave the movie *** (three stars).
Why So Blu? (12-25-20)
Old 12-25-20, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
This reminds me of the tone difference between the original Superman and Superman II. The first was grounded in reality; the second was quite cheesy. The exception is the Supes movies had different directors, but Jenkins directed both WW movies.
This is a great point, but I think it was unavoidable. The first one is set during World War 1 and deals, with the brutality of trench warfare, chemical weapons, gassing, and the horrors of battle. The second one is set in the big-hair, spandex, arcade playing 1980s and reminded me of parts of Stanger Things. I was never a huge comic book reader, so I don't know if this was part of the Wonder Woman cannon, but, while I liked the first one more overall, I didn't care for the emphasis on Greek Mythology (being formed from clay and given life by Zeus) and the battle between Wonder Woman and the supernatural, the god Ares, since she had just finished helping to win the war for the Allies and defeat the Germans.

WW1984 didn't have nearly the emphasis on mythology and she was much more what I remember from growing up, watching reruns of the TV series, just a badass kicking woman, protecting average people and fighting crime, so that was one aspect of the sequel that I appreciated.

Originally Posted by Red Hood
specially with Max Lord. In the comic books, Lord is a manipulative, irredeemable con artist villain. Having a son here, and renouncing his powers for him felt contrived and not very villain-like. Lord should have been kept around as a future villain, someone being behind the Suicide Squad or something along those lines.
Thanks for bringing this up. I am not familiar with the comic books, but remember Maxwell Lord from the TV show Supergirl, so I figured there was more to his character. WW1984 was one of the first Super Hero movies that had villains that were not entirely evil and given sympathetic qualities. Maxwell Lord is a down on your luck guy that hates feeling like a failure n the eyes of his son. Barbara is the super-smart but awkward employee that is teased and just looking for friendship. Is Cheetah more diabolical in the comic books?

Finally, and just for my own curiosity, did anyone die in WW1984? Maxwell Lord and Barbara both survived (I think) and seemed to possibly have a chance at rehabilitation and, while some civilians/soldiers were beat up, no one died. In contrast, the body count in the first film was substantially higher, IIRC.
Old 12-25-20, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Too bad I voted early on this one. I gave it a 3 star, but it's settling at a 2 star now. Just so much glaringly stupid shit in here. Also, Adagio in D Minor? I can't even get some actual pop songs from 1984 and they throw that in there? WTF?
Old 12-25-20, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

I can't even get some actual pop songs from 1984 and they throw that in there? WTF?
Did you miss "Welcome to the Pleasuredome" by Frankie Goes To Hollywood?
Old 12-25-20, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by windom
Did you miss "Welcome to the Pleasuredome" by Frankie Goes To Hollywood?
Okay, one fucking song. At the gala event, right? This film should have been spilling over with 1984 references otherwise what was the fucking point of it being WW84? A stupid gimmick with no payoff. Even an obligatory night club scene would been cool, too.
Mikellll11 (12-26-20)
Old 12-25-20, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Too bad I voted early on this one. I gave it a 3 star, but it's settling at a 2 star now. Just so much glaringly stupid shit in here. Also, Adagio in D Minor? I can't even get some actual pop songs from 1984 and they throw that in there? WTF?
Yeah, I'm thinking I should have given it 2 or 2 1/2 stars now. Another side note, the character Maxwell Lord was annoying as shit. And the actor who played him was absolutely terrible. His performance was so obnoxious. It reminded me of Michael Sheen in "Tron Legacy". Who I think is a tremendous actor. But really stunk in "Legacy". Way too over the top.
Old 12-25-20, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 278 Likes on 179 Posts

Saw it in the theater with the gf. There was alot of unintentional comedy. Cgi on Cheetah was pretty bad. But I've seen worse movies
Old 12-25-20, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by Daytripper
Yeah, I'm thinking I should have given it 2 or 2 1/2 stars now. Another side note, the character Maxwell Lord was annoying as shit. And the actor who played him was absolutely terrible. His performance was so obnoxious. It reminded me of Michael Sheen in "Tron Legacy". Who I think is a tremendous actor. But really stunk in "Legacy". Way too over the top.
Pedro Pascal. So much good will from Mandalorian, and he already cashed it in.

Last edited by RichC2; 12-25-20 at 09:57 PM.
Old 12-25-20, 08:55 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

Eh, was ok. For a movie set in 1984 there were very little 80’s pop culture references. The CG was bad, especially the lasso animations. It’s like they hand animated it and colored it in afterwards.

Last edited by Eric F; 12-26-20 at 11:42 AM.
Why So Blu? (12-25-20)
Old 12-25-20, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

So I guess we're left to assume that Wonder Woman raped a guy in this.
Old 12-25-20, 09:12 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by diesteldorf
Thanks for bringing this up. I am not familiar with the comic books, but remember Maxwell Lord from the TV show Supergirl, so I figured there was more to his character. WW1984 was one of the first Super Hero movies that had villains that were not entirely evil and given sympathetic qualities. Maxwell Lord is a down on your luck guy that hates feeling like a failure n the eyes of his son. Barbara is the super-smart but awkward employee that is teased and just looking for friendship. Is Cheetah more diabolical in the comic books?

Finally, and just for my own curiosity, did anyone die in WW1984? Maxwell Lord and Barbara both survived (I think) and seemed to possibly have a chance at rehabilitation and, while some civilians/soldiers were beat up, no one died. In contrast, the body count in the first film was substantially higher, IIRC.
Cheetah is indeed more diabolical in the comic books because it's a completely different character than in the film. In comics, Minerva is an arrogant, obsessive, intelligent rich girl who loves archeology. The way she becomes Cheetah is more convoluted and complicated, but basically, her rivalry with Wonder Woman is more because they are both strong independent females than Minerva being a loser turned hottie thanks to powers.

In Ant-Man & Wasp we had a villain who was more an unfortunate soul than a malicious person in Ghost. That was a complete change of pace from other Marvel films where villains are truly despicable and it made sense in the film. Having a somewhat sympathetic Minerva and Max Lord doesn't work for WW84 as she needs evil people to compensate for her incredible power.

Two side notes:

First, I had forgotten that Pascal was actually in the Wonder Woman TV pilot with Adrienne Palicki back in 2011 and that was supposed to be his big break.

Second, I said this before, but man, Snyder Cut fans are the fucking worst. They've been review bombing WW84 in every place they can. I hope that Snyder JL films gets released and bombs like it will and we can all move over from the this fucking shit group that can't distinguish quality from trash.
Old 12-25-20, 09:24 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

So.....you liked it....?
Old 12-25-20, 09:47 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by E Unit
So.....you liked it....?
I mentioned it before, maybe you missed it, but I though the movie was ok and entertaining. I gave it 2 and 1/2 stars as it has flaws throughout the plot but the chemistry og Gadot and Pine carry the film. Pascal is good too with what he was given. Same with Wigg. Plot was all over the place and that's why I couldn't give it a higher rating.
Old 12-25-20, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

There is a fun maybe 105 minute movie in there somewhere. Also, slow fucking pace then armor and cheetah seemed fucking abrupt, and the whole concept of wishes on a grand scale just makes me think of order of operation.

Last edited by RichC2; 12-25-20 at 10:11 PM.
Old 12-25-20, 10:07 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Hood
I mentioned it before, maybe you missed it, but I though the movie was ok and entertaining. I gave it 2 and 1/2 stars as it has flaws throughout the plot but the chemistry og Gadot and Pine carry the film. Pascal is good too with what he was given. Same with Wigg. Plot was all over the place and that's why I couldn't give it a higher rating.
I was just kidding, and I agree with your assessment. I give it 2 stars at best. I’m honestly glad I didn’t pay to see this in a theater.
Red Hood (12-26-20)
Old 12-25-20, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by E Unit
I was just kidding, and I agree with your assessment. I give it 2 stars at best. I’m honestly glad I didn’t pay to see this in a theater.
Honestly, had I seen this in the theater, I probably would have walked out.
Old 12-26-20, 12:33 AM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

This was not good, though as a Gen-X Washingtonian, I enjoyed seeing 1984 Washington D.C. Commander Salamander was back!

Plotwise, this was a fiasco, and while Gadot and Pine have great chemistry, the characters weren't given a chance to do anything more than wander through the disjointed narrative. It's a shame, because I really liked the first one, but this was as terrible as every other* DCU movie.

* To be fair, I've only seen Superman, Superman/Batman, WW, and JLA. Maybe Aquaman or Shazam or Suicide Squad are better.
Old 12-26-20, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,192 Likes on 2,060 Posts

I agree with a lot that has been posted before. This was...disappointing. The set up took way too fucking long. Hell, I almost forgot I was watching a Wonder Woman movie considering Wonder Woman was nowhere to be seen for half the movie. I did like Gadot and Pine together but honestly, I thought Diana was kind of a bitch throughout the movie. I get that she missed Steve but, fuck, was she just a miserable asshole for the last 60 years?! I liked Wiig’s character a lot more and while Gadot is stunningly beautiful I found Wiig more attractive here. Probably not a good sign when I’m rooting more for the bad guy than our superhero.

The action sequences looked campy as hell. Seeing Diana running fast and swinging toward the camera looked almost comical. It’s just looked...cheap.

And the whole magic wishes plot strained my level of believability. I can buy all the superhero stuff in this universe but the magic wishes in that world they created just felt lazy.

It was nice to see Lynda Carter but her scene made no sense in the context of anything we’ve seen in this series. Also, I know it’s been awhile since she played WW but her voice seemed off. Like a crack addict trying to recite lines. It was odd.

I stayed through the end credits thinking there would be a post-credits scene but then I realized that the DC universe is such a fucking mess that I don’t think they would even know what to tease in that scene.

I actually liked the Cheetah fight scene and although it came way too late for me to really care, I thought it was executed nicely.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.