Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Wonder Woman 1984 (Jenkins, 2020) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Wonder Woman 1984 (Jenkins, 2020) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
2.27%
2.27%
5.68%
14.77%
17.05%
21.59%
21.59%
6.82%
4.55%
2.27%
1.14%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Wonder Woman 1984 (Jenkins, 2020) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-20, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts
Re: Wonder Woman 1984 (Jenkins, 2020) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
"You were supposed to UNDERSTAND!!!"

Geoff Johns should stick to comic books.
Or at least Teen Superhero shows.
Old 12-31-20, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts

The following 7 users liked this post by Neil M.:
B.A. (12-31-20), ddrknghtrtns (01-01-21), Hokeyboy (12-31-20), IBJoel (12-31-20), mikehunt (04-21-23), tanman (10-04-21), Why So Blu? (12-31-20) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 12-31-20, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,885 Posts

I live-roasted this movie on FB last night (I'm home sick with literally have nothing else to do, thanks COVID!) and said the same exact thing.

As the caption put it: “The nerd who forms an attachment to the hero then snaps and turns on them when they get powers.”

And we know they're nerds because they're wearing glasses!

I suspect it's a trope that appeals to Hollywood types; the idea that certain people are inherently unworthy of greatness. Despite its liberal pretensions, the entertainment industry is a very hierarchical system, and they would seem to see people who are ugly or uncool or poor or unconnected or diffident as being, at best, pretenders, and, at worst, a threat.

(BTW, who is the woman in green? I don't think I remember that movie, or never saw it.)

The following 3 users liked this post by Josh-da-man:
ddrknghtrtns (01-01-21), mikehunt (04-21-23), Why So Blu? (12-31-20)
Old 12-31-20, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts

The woman in green looks like Uma Thurman in Batman & Robin.
The following users liked this post:
ddrknghtrtns (01-01-21)
Old 12-31-20, 03:34 PM

Received 4,579 Likes on 3,099 Posts

Uma Thurman / Poison Ivy
Old 12-31-20, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,203 Likes on 2,067 Posts

This wasn’t lost on me when I watched WW84. In particular, I kept thinking of Jamie Foxx as Electro the whole time.

It’s more than the glasses, these are all a cartoon caricature versions of what a “nerd” is. It’s so overly stereotypical that it fails to be anywhere near relatable to anyone.

And what’s worse, all of the depictions are the She’s All That version of a “nerd”. It’s the laziest form of character development I can think of.

Last edited by GoldenJCJ; 12-31-20 at 03:51 PM.
Why So Blu? (12-31-20)
Old 12-31-20, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

One thing that I haven’t seen discussed about this movie yet was how fast civilization started to crumble. I get how things would get really bad once Lord went on TV and started granting everyone’s wishes but in the movie we see Lord, after having only granted a few wishes, mostly from oil tycoons, and all of a sudden there was chaos on the streets of DC and fires burning in the distance.

It seemed like things went to shit pretty quickly over some financial transactions of a few rich people that wouldn’t immediately impact common people.
Old 12-31-20, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Nitpicking a bit, but does Selina really fit that trope? She was nerdy but didn’t necessarily have an attachment to Batman before becoming Catwoman. She did to Bruce afterwards, but she continued to like him, and only kind of turned on him at the very end when he calls her out for being crazy and trying to talk her into walking away to a happy ending.

Agreed though that the nerd trope is overused in superhero movies in general. Didn’t really realize how many there actually are until seeing them all laid out like that.
Old 12-31-20, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,936 Likes on 1,497 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
One thing that I haven’t seen discussed about this movie yet was how fast civilization started to crumble. I get how things would get really bad once Lord went on TV and started granting everyone’s wishes but in the movie we see Lord, after having only granted a few wishes, mostly from oil tycoons, and all of a sudden there was chaos on the streets of DC and fires burning in the distance.

It seemed like things went to shit pretty quickly over some financial transactions of a few rich people that wouldn’t immediately impact common people.
The chaos in the streets wasn't just directly caused by the wishes he was granting (people with porsches all over, that guy with the farm in the middle of the city, and I'm sure other things). Indirectly, the wall in Egypt and the sovereignty of a new nation in Egypt heightened tensions between the US and the Soviets and the sudden change in possession of the majority of the world's oil created a run on gas, and presumably mass instability in the stock market.

That seems more realistic to me than everyone shrugging their shoulders after seeing nuclear missiles launch and people coming back from the dead and celebrating Christmas like nothing ever happened (did Max even get arrested? What happened to Cheetah?)

In the 80s, if a wall suddenly sprung up in Egypt, tensions in the Cold War rose to a breaking point, the stock market fell and someone akin to Donald Trump suddenly conned his way into owning the majority of the world's oil, well I think people would panic a little.
The following 2 users liked this post by fujishig:
IBJoel (12-31-20), mikehunt (04-21-23)
Old 12-31-20, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

^ I’d have to watch it again but I thought we got our first shot of civilization burning right after the Egypt part. I can understand a world of heightened tension after a wall mysteriously appeared but I’m not sure it would immediately cause chaos in the streets 5,000 miles away.

I guess a few dudes creating absolute anarchy by driving Porches up and down the streets is as plausible as anything else in this movie.

I’m probably just being nitpicky at this point.
Old 12-31-20, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
When "fans" are unhappy with any popular IP, they always blame the director and start talking shit about them.

When Patty Jenkins was hired for the Wonder Woman gig in 2017, some thought it was an odd choice as she really only had TV and Monster on her resume. It got well reviewed and regarded and she got more work out of it and became well regarded.

Now that this movie has had mixed reaction, I see some online have turned on her quickly.

I saw one fucking stupid topic from some pundit saying Should Lucasfilm fire Patty Jenkins from Rogue Squadron for making a terrible Wonder Woman movie? Sometimes I hate the internet.

Rian Johnson made Looper, which had a cult following and did Breaking Bad and he was well regarded, once "fans" saw The Last Jedi and thought it sucked, they quickly turned on him, insulted him and called him a hack filmmaker. You cannot win with genre fans. Once you make something that a certain population doesn't like, they will turn on you fast.

See, I'm not ready to give up on Rogue Squadron. Rian Johnson, IMO, has made one "shitty" movie and it was TLJ. I have enjoyed his work on Breaking Bad and really liked Knives Out. I also think that if anything is going to ruin Star Wars it's constant interference from suits at Disney and oversaturating the market.
spainlinx0 (01-04-21)
Old 12-31-20, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

^ I’d have to watch it again but I thought we got our first shot of civilization burning right after the Egypt part. I can understand a world of heightened tension after a wall mysteriously appeared but I’m not sure it would immediately cause chaos in the streets 5,000 miles away.

I guess a few dudes creating absolute anarchy by driving Porches up and down the streets is as plausible as anything else in this movie.

I’m probably just being nitpicky at this point.
Yeah, right after Egypt I think we get some kind of newscast saying that the Soviets are supporting the new nation and the US is supporting Egypt, then it mentions Max owning most of the oil and runs on gas. Then a little later we see chaos on the street and the old lady says there are porsches running up and down the street and the old man mentions he can't leave because of his cows or whatever.
Old 12-31-20, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

I saw someone mention that Steve Trevor's body provider will soon be getting a visit from the secret service after his activities in the White House.
ddrknghtrtns (01-01-21)
Old 12-31-20, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

This wasn’t lost on me when I watched WW84. In particular, I kept thinking of Jamie Foxx as Electro the whole time.

It’s more than the glasses, these are all a cartoon caricature versions of what a “nerd” is. It’s so overly stereotypical that it fails to be anywhere near relatable to anyone.

And what’s worse, all of the depictions are the She’s All That version of a “nerd”. It’s the laziest form of character development I can think of.

Exactly. Like, I wouldn't fuck Michelle Pfiefer/Kristin Wiig/Uma Thurman looking all frumpy even though they have killer bodies underneath bad clothing, hair, glasses.
Old 12-31-20, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
See, I'm not ready to give up on Rogue Squadron. Rian Johnson, IMO, has made one "shitty" movie and it was TLJ. I have enjoyed his work on Breaking Bad and really liked Knives Out. I also think that if anything is going to ruin Star Wars it's constant interference from suits at Disney and oversaturating the market.
I think Brothers Bloom is a shittier movie than TLJ.
Old 12-31-20, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts

Originally Posted by windom
I saw someone mention that Steve Trevor's body provider will soon be getting a visit from the secret service after his activities in the White House.
It's so easy to go back to that plot point because it's so needlessly problematic. I kept wondering about his job, but it never really occurred to me about Secret Service. That's true, though.

OK, I hate to dredge up the rape argument again. It was something that in no way occurred to me while watching, though I did find it really creepy, and I thought people were reaching calling it rape. But what if Diana, used to being a strong Amazon, likes to exert more control in the bedroom. Diana pegs Steve. For those who believe the current scenario in the movie isn't rape, would you also say this extends to this other scenario? As long as Steve is the one in control of the body, it's no big deal and not a violation? I can't believe that this is even a conversation to be had about a Wonder Woman movie.
Old 12-31-20, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

What if Diana got a pregnant from that dude. Could she sue him for child support? Did they have that level of DNA testing back then? I guess she'd have to wait a few years for the Maury Povich show. Oh, the possibilities...
Old 01-01-21, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
The "Hey everybody, please take back your wish" plot device is probably the stupidest Deus Ex Machina move I have ever seen in a movie. Congrats "Hey, my mother was named Martha as well", you're no longer the most embarrassing screenwriting tool in the DCEU!
You know all guys aren't going to renounce their big cock wish, even if the world is literally coming to an end.
Old 01-01-21, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Re: Wonder Woman (Jenkins, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Watched this last night in not tbe best conditions (friends house with constant chatter). The first thing i noticed is that on his 4K TV (i have not upgraded to one yet) the effects work looked incredibly bad. I mean Sy Fy Channel bad. I was shocked. Afterwards i caught 5 mins of Black Panther and the effects in the end fight there also looked a bit shoddy. I think this is an inherent issue with 4K in that the image is so clear that flaws are all the more noticable. WW84 effects were just awful from start to end.

The story was dreadful and i am amazed that cameras ever started rolling with this script in place. I am not going to go indepth with story issues as they have already been noted and discussed, but leveraging things in like the return of Steve, the invisible Jet and flying were handled all so badly that it was childlike in its execution.

The only pluses i found were that the 4 main leads did decent jobs with what they were handed. With a better story/script they could have produced a decent follow up, but this was a disaster. It actually felt like a movie that was made in 1984 with some clunky ideas and it felt like a weird mash up of Superman II and Supergirl the Movie. The whole wackiness of a magical object and cheesey characters felt directly lifted from Supergirl.

Any reviews giving this more than 3/10 clearly show they were bought off.
Old 01-01-21, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

One thing I do not fault the DC movies for: their casting has been terrific, at least from what we've seen (we didn't really get to see all that much of Ray Fisher or Ezra Miller but they seemed fine), even if the movies haven't been exactly to my tastes. I know many people rag on Gadot's acting ability but I think she does fine and she really, really fits the part.

edited to add: thinking about it more, I should say their casting of heroes is spot on. Their villains (Thewlis, Leto, Eisenberg, really ugly CGI of Steppenwolf) have been almost the complete opposite. I would include Max Lord here though I don't think it's necessarily Pedro's fault.

Last edited by fujishig; 01-01-21 at 12:46 PM.
Old 01-01-21, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
edited to add: thinking about it more, I should say their casting of heroes is spot on. Their villains (Thewlis, Leto, Eisenberg, really ugly CGI of Steppenwolf) have been almost the complete opposite. I would include Max Lord here though I don't think it's necessarily Pedro's fault.
Pascal doesn't get a pass. He was terrible. Grating and over-the-top in the worst ways imaginable.
Old 01-01-21, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Rian Johnson for me has made one good movie with Looper, everything else has been crap. People raved about Knives Out and i found it horrible. I am a big fan of murder mysteries, but this one was awful self indulgent clap trap.

As for TV episodes i dont even consider them. Unless they are premiere episodes or series finales they tend to get looked over as part of a larger season. You have your good episodes and your bad. It tends to be more expected. Plus TV shows have a stride to them, a movie is a singular chance to impress. Fuck it up and there isnt a second chance to impress broadcast a week later.

Johnson and Jenkins are both pretty shitty in my book as director and/or writer. After 20 years each in the business i would expect better from their resumes to be given the defence they are getting from people.
Old 01-01-21, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 729 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by clckworang
OK, I hate to dredge up the rape argument again. It was something that in no way occurred to me while watching, though I did find it really creepy, and I thought people were reaching calling it rape. But what if Diana, used to being a strong Amazon, likes to exert more control in the bedroom. Diana pegs Steve. For those who believe the current scenario in the movie isn't rape, would you also say this extends to this other scenario? As long as Steve is the one in control of the body, it's no big deal and not a violation? I can't believe that this is even a conversation to be had about a Wonder Woman movie.
Old 01-01-21, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 729 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by ddrknghtrtns
You know all guys aren't going to renounce their big cock wish, even if the world is literally coming to an end.
"It says here you.. wished for a big cock?"

Old 01-01-21, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,244 Likes on 855 Posts
Re: Wonder Woman 1984 (Jenkins, 2020) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Threadr

Originally Posted by Artman
She's also been living a life for 60+yrs (unlike Captain America who woke up as if weeks had past by) wouldn't she at some point...move on? Have other relationships? Instead she's committed to a "I'll never love again" cage of sorts.
This is why the return of Steve in this manner IF the theme is taking shortcuts ... There is no shortcut for bringing back your dead lover, as there is no long, or normal, way of doing that. IF the idea was for her to find love again, then bringing him back could be a shortcut AND explain the need for the booty-double. Again, feels like something that was there and then lost in a multitude of re-writes.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.