Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Wonder Woman 1984 (Jenkins, 2020) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Wonder Woman 1984 (Jenkins, 2020) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
2.27%
2.27%
5.68%
14.77%
17.05%
21.59%
21.59%
6.82%
4.55%
2.27%
1.14%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Wonder Woman 1984 (Jenkins, 2020) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-20, 07:23 PM

Received 4,583 Likes on 3,102 Posts
Re: Wonder Woman 1984 (Jenkins, 2020) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Mike86
That’s what I thought. So the guy didn’t disappear like others are claiming.
No, he did not physically disappear.
Old 12-28-20, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
No, he did not physically disappear.
I just wasn’t clear if he somehow transformed into Steve.

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Question: let's say that Superman really wanted to give Lois Lane some physical love but knew he couldn't do so without killing her. Lois finds a way to possess Wonder Woman and she surprises Superman. They bump uglies so Lois can finally know his love. Has Superman raped Wonder Woman despite the inhabitant of her body giving her permission? I would say that argument could definitely be made.
Ok, Brodie...
The following users liked this post:
Abob Teff (12-29-20)

Originally Posted by Mike86
I just wasn’t clear if he somehow transformed into Steve.
Only in her mind.
Old 12-28-20, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

I never said or claimed Random dude just vanished. Only to Diana he was Steve physically. But Steve took over his personality and feelings and emotions and to me he became Steve. I saw the mirror shot. It’s like when Sam Beckett took over someone’s body, his personality took over that body and that person didn’t exist not from a physical standpoint, but from a personality standpoint. He had to fake being that person.

In that Quantum Leap episode I mentioned, I recall Beckett told Tomita’s character who he was and she willingly had sex with him even though physically he was an old middle aged man,

Last edited by DJariya; 12-28-20 at 07:33 PM.
Old 12-28-20, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,736 Likes on 1,888 Posts

Great googly-moogly, this movie sounds awful...

Old 12-28-20, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,206 Likes on 2,069 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Great googly-moogly, this movie sounds awful...
We haven’t even gotten to the question of why a Hispanic character has an Asian son yet.

The following users liked this post:
DJariya (12-28-20)
Old 12-28-20, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
We haven’t even gotten to the question of why a Hispanic character has an Asian son yet.
He wasn’t Asian.

Ok - wink added.
Old 12-28-20, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

^ Yeah, we never got to see the ex-wife at all.
Old 12-28-20, 08:21 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

I personally think that a passed out girl who doesn't give consent but some guy has sex with her anyway is rape. However, I do disagree with how if both the guy and girl get drunk and have a fling, not passed out mind you, just in a questionable state of mind, the guy is the one who faces possible charges.
Why did you quote me with this response that has nothing to do with what I wrote? I specifically stated that what happened in WW1984 is not at all the same as passed out girl not giving consent. Someone was conscious in that guy’s body, no?
Old 12-28-20, 08:29 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Question: let's say that Superman really wanted to give Lois Lane some physical love but knew he couldn't do so without killing her. Lois finds a way to possess Wonder Woman and she surprises Superman. They bump uglies so Lois can finally know his love. Has Superman raped Wonder Woman despite the inhabitant of her body giving her permission? I would say that argument could definitely be made.
If you’re able to possess a body, I think that becomes your body more or less. I don’t think “permission” really matters. The whole rape argument becomes moot at this point.
Old 12-28-20, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

The possession itself is as much a violation as any subsequent sex act.

If you someone else has all agency over your body, that's a pretty BFD. Especially when they keep putting your body in serious jeopardy.
Old 12-28-20, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
Not much else to say that hasn’t already been said. Just a let down.
Why call this movie WW 1984 and not lean in more to that era? Props to the marketing team I guess... they sold the movie in a way it certainly wasn’t.

Originally Posted by fujishig
Finally watched it. Initial thoughts:

I know this was part of the gimmick or pitch or whatever but they were better off just making a modern day WW movie. Then they wouldn't have to connect the dots in such a terrible, Star Wars like way to try to make sure WW wasn't widely known in the past. Sure she takes out security cameras but c'mon now. Some of the 80s stuff was cute but not really necessary.

...[ goes on to list logic holes, contrivances, problems with structure etc]
After reflecting on it a few more days, what Jenkins did here was actually make a Wonder Woman movie that would have been made in the 1980's.

That's the reason for the '80's push in the marketing- the whole movie is like something out of that decade- from the bright gaudy visual look of the opening mall sequence though the overused topes (nerd emulates hero and goes bad), passing by the empty headed ignorance of the deeper ethical and philosophical conflicts the story opens up, to a climax that exalts in unearned sentimentality (like the ending with Max and son, and which is predicated on billions of people choosing altruism over self-interest at the drop of a hat)- it's right up to the level of most of that decade's actual product.

I wasn't a kid for most of the decade. I was an older teen and young adult, which may be why I don't have the rosy associations that most others have for that era. Living through it, I thought so much of it was infantilized shit. This movie plays like a love letter not to that era, but directly from it.

The following 2 users liked this post by Paul_SD:
Abob Teff (12-29-20), spainlinx0 (01-04-21)
Old 12-28-20, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

No one is claiming that Steve raped the guy because he inhabited his body. People are suggesting that Diana raped the guy because his body was unwittingly used for sex.
In a deleted scene which should be available on the DVD and Blu-ray, we find out that it was the wish of the rape victim to have non-consensual sex with a way hot brunette; thus, justifying Steve taking over his body.
Old 12-28-20, 11:24 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by Brack
I love the preemptive gender reversal argument about rape via body possession. At this rate, Quantum Leap needs to be erased from existence because he literally raped every body he inhabited, no?
As I understood it, Sam’s “leaps” were preordained by God (or some other cosmic entity) and all his experiences in his occupied body were reintegrated after he leapt out.
Old 12-28-20, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,465 Likes on 932 Posts

Originally Posted by bchbdaddy
This movie was bad. I'm an 80s whore, give me 80s. This did not deliver at all.

The only part that I enjoyed was the start when she was a kid. That was fantasy/magical. Everything else just plained sucked.

Gal is the most beautiful thing on film these days. But she is an awful actress. Hell, her voice overs are cringe.

That mall scene was total cheese. And not in a good way. The Linda Carter scene was awful cheese. Hollywood backlot street cheese.

And lets not forget that every white male in the 80s harassed women. Shoving that shit down your throat the whole film.

Really wish this would have came out before they gave her Star Wars. But again, look at the announcement trailer for that. If they are gonna just bombard you with female director blah blah and nothing about the movie, it will suck just like this one.

My daughter (6) was upset that the gold outfit was barely in the movie. She got the toy of it and was waiting all summer for it. Knowing how my older daughter and younger one felt about the first movie compared to this one. This movie did nothing for little girls.
That's sad. This thread mostly consists of middle-aged guys complaining about a comic book movie. But the movie could have mattered to your daughter.
Old 12-29-20, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul_SD
After reflecting on it a few more days, what Jenkins did here was actually make a Wonder Woman movie that would have been made in the 1980's.

That's the reason for the '80's push in the marketing- the whole movie is like something out of that decade- from the bright gaudy visual look of the opening mall sequence though the overused topes (nerd emulates hero and goes bad), passing by the empty headed ignorance of the deeper ethical and philosophical conflicts the story opens up, to a climax that exalts in unearned sentimentality (like the ending with Max and son, and which is predicated on billions of people choosing altruism over self-interest at the drop of a hat)- it's right up to the level of most of that decade's actual product.

I wasn't a kid for most of the decade. I was an older teen and young adult, which may be why I don't have the rosy associations that most others have for that era. Living through it, I thought so much of it was infantilized shit. This movie plays like a love letter not to that era, but directly from it.
I actually considered this too, but are you saying she deliberately made a movie with 80's style plot holes and such, or that it was so crappy that she just happened to hit the nail on the head? And I'm not talking just about the schmaltzy satellite technology stuff that are clear riffs (yet played semi seriously).

I mean the notion of "rape" or at the very least "non consensual sex" is straight out of 80s movies. Do people think that was on purpose?

And if this was intentional I think it went over most of our heads.
Old 12-29-20, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 230 Likes on 158 Posts

No one is claiming that Steve raped the guy because he inhabited his body. People are suggesting that Diana raped the guy because his body was unwittingly used for sex. It’s been a while since I’ve seen Quantum Leap, I didn’t recall if Sam ever had sex during a leap. If he did, that would be equivalent.

I’m half-joking about the rape stuff but there are other questions like, did this guy ultimately get fired for not showing up to work for a week? Did he have a girlfriend who he may or may not have to explain a mysterious STD to?
Imagine if Twitter existed when Face/Off was released back in '97.

Everyone would've lost their mind when Nic Cage's character(while appearing as Travolta) had sex with Joan Allen (Travolta's wife in the film) .😆😆😆
Old 12-29-20, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

It may have been the intent to make a movie that was an homage of sorts to 80’s style superhero films. If so it’s kind of an odd choice to have made though. Especially after the first film was so well received. It just seems weird to go from a movie that took itself fairly seriously to one with a more outlandish tone that resembles something from a more campy era.

Last edited by Mike86; 12-29-20 at 01:07 AM.
Old 12-29-20, 01:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
Wasn't that dude dead?

I do think there'd be more outrage if the genders were reversed (Superman banging the spirit of Lois inhabiting some other woman's body) but the most outrageous part about it in this movie is it's completely unnecessary.

Sorry, we did get... a wardrobe joke out of it.
The wardrobe scene was a callback to the first movie.

That was ETTA! I saw the pic and asked my son, “Who was that? What the hell was that about?”

I agree there was some kind of disconnect from the story written to the story we got. The opening sequence was about taking shortcuts and the repercussions ... then the movie proceeds to be about gaining things through wishes, but NEVER goes back to the lesson taught in the opening. Instead the opening was relegated to being the explanation for a new action figure.

There was a good movie in there somewhere. They just lost it between drafts and notes from too many people.

Last edited by Abob Teff; 12-29-20 at 01:23 AM.
Old 12-29-20, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

I must have missed the sex scene.
Old 12-29-20, 10:24 AM
Administrator

Received 1,068 Likes on 621 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveNinja
I really wanted this movie to be good but, in my opinion, it was just okay. needed more 80s. I liked the idea of the villain but I couldn't really figure out what was going on with him. He needed people to make wishes so he could then "oh snap" them and gain something but was he also dying when he wasn't granting wishes?
Essentially, the wishing works on equivalent exchange. Diana wishes for Steve, so she loses her powers. Barbara wishes to be like Diana, so she loses her humanity. The crystal takes something from you when it grants your wish. Once Lord BECOMES the crystal, he is able to dictate what he takes from the person wishing. However, him granting all these wishes is taking a toll on his body (alternatively, his original wish to take the crystal's powers causes him to lose his health). He wasn't dying from not granting wishes, he was dying from granting too many.
Old 12-29-20, 10:26 AM
Administrator

Received 1,068 Likes on 621 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
The opening sequence was about taking shortcuts and the repercussions ... then the movie proceeds to be about gaining things through wishes, but NEVER goes back to the lesson taught in the opening.
...the wishes are the shortcuts...

Agreed that seeing Etta was really nice
Old 12-29-20, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,465 Likes on 932 Posts

You guys got me curious. I get the feeling that rape by deception is a new idea, something that's happened during my lifetime. I've found that the earliest ruling that talks about rape as a violation of a woman's right to choose with whom she is intimate was in 1977.

The ideas were still being worked out in the 1980s. The idea that having sex while possessed is rape seems to be anachronistic in 1984. The possession itself, however, would have still have been a deep violation. Good guys shouldn't do that.

I'm getting my information about the history of rape law from this paper.

ETA: In 1984 a man's conviction of rape was overturned because California had no law against fraudulently inducing someone into sexual intercourse. California changed its law in 1986. Wikipedia.
Old 12-29-20, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by candyrocket786
Imagine if Twitter existed when Face/Off was released back in '97.

Everyone would've lost their mind when Nic Cage's character(while appearing as Travolta) had sex with Joan Allen (Travolta's wife in the film) .😆😆😆

That shit was brought up back in 1997 on online forums, too. Not only that, but as Nic Cage in Travolta's body is perving after the daughter. It was creepy then, it's creepy now.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.