Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Wars: Rogue Squadron (D: Jenkins)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Star Wars: Rogue Squadron (D: Jenkins)

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-21, 02:08 PM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts
re: Star Wars: Rogue Squadron (D: Jenkins)

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
I'm guessing the delay has more to do with the (possible) exit of Kathleen Kennedy (her contract was supposed to expire in October - I've heard nothing of an extension) and maybe even a total re-organization at Lucasfilm/Disney as to how they want to do Star Wars from this point forward.
Unlikely.
Old 11-08-21, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

The story says the only known projects that Patty Jenkins has lined up aside from this are Wonder Woman 3 and Cleopatra. Neither are anywhere close to filming. I read recently that WW3's script is still in development.

So I'm inclined to believe the "Scheduling conflict" line is pure PR and this is just Lucasfilm putting the project on hold.
Old 11-08-21, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,301 Likes on 945 Posts

Originally Posted by milo bloom
Yeah, maybe the poor performance of WW84 made Disney a little scared.
While I didn't hate it, I can understand some hesitancy when you're dealing with rabid Star Wars fanboys.

Old 11-08-21, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 826 Likes on 547 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
I don’t buy that. Wonder Woman 1984 was dumped on HBO Max last December when the majority of U.S. theaters were still closed. That killed the movie’s chances of being a success financially.
While I believe the HBOmax same day streaming plan was bullshit, WW1984 was not a good movie.
Old 11-08-21, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Toddarino
While I believe the HBOmax same day streaming plan was bullshit, WW1984 was not a good movie.
Yes it was a disappointment creatively for many. But, it would have made way more than $46M total in the U.S. had it received a proper distribution like now. HBO Max and being dumped when big city theaters were closed during the worst of the pandemic basically made the movie DOA financially. My point is, saying that Lucasfilm was scared off by the financials of WW84 is not a fair assessment. There are many who still believe in Patty Jenkins as a filmmaker. One disappointing movie isn't going to kill her career. She can make up for it.
Old 11-08-21, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 826 Likes on 547 Posts

It is curious what the real reason is. There’s been no real talk about the Rian Johnson trilogy, now there’s this. I wonder if that Taika Watiti movie is next.
They’ve regained some goodwill with the success of the Mandolorian, maybe they don’t want to risk a “new” story too soon.
Old 11-08-21, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

It is curious what the real reason is. There’s been no real talk about the Rian Johnson trilogy, now there’s this. I wonder if that Taika Watiti movie is next.
They’ve regained some goodwill with the success of the Mandolorian, maybe they don’t want to risk a “new” story too soon.
Johnson is out, and has been for quite some time. And, of course, Benioff/Weiss are out too. I've heard for a while now that Disney would like Kevin Feige to take over Kathleen's role as head of Lucasfilm, but we'll see what happens.
Old 11-08-21, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 730 Likes on 532 Posts

I feel they're doing the right thing by giving theatrical releases a break and concentrating on the D+ shows.
The following 2 users liked this post by devilshalo:
Shannon Nutt (11-08-21), tanman (11-09-21)
Old 11-08-21, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

Johnson is out.
May be true, but that's never been officially announced.
Old 11-08-21, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,732 Likes on 1,885 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
Sometimes I think it's a standard excuse for any delay.
Yeah, it's like whenever a celebrity is "dehydrated" and has to take some time off, you know that they're really drying out in rehab.

Old 11-08-21, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk God

https://deadline.com/2021/11/star-wa...T3uPoc1hNhrnIE

Deadline says that no actors were even cast yet.

They also talk about Jenkins juggling her schedule, which I don’t buy. I think this is on Lucasfilms.
Old 11-08-21, 08:03 PM

Considering all the talk of WW3 in the news lately, it’s possible that is gearing up quicker than we thought.
Old 11-08-21, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk God

I suppose it's possible that WB is fast tracking WW3. And we know that Gal and Jenkins are like BFFs. So she could have decided to prioritize WW or Star Wars.
Old 11-08-21, 08:11 PM

I've heard for a while now that Disney would like Kevin Feige to take over Kathleen's role as head of Lucasfilm, but we'll see what happens.
That’s a bunch of fanboy clickbait rumors that get pushed. It has been reported by legitimate trades that Feige has no desire to run Lucasfilm.

Last edited by dex14; 11-08-21 at 08:22 PM.
Old 11-08-21, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

Waiting for the Doomcock video that gives the full scoop.
Old 11-08-21, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Yeah scheduling conflicts either means script issues or creative differences.
Old 11-09-21, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

SW just can't exist as single films spun off into streaming shows...(which looks like what all of these are imo) I'd be perfectly happy seeing this retooled as a streaming series.
Old 11-09-21, 02:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 959 Likes on 666 Posts

While I didn't hate it, I can understand some hesitancy when you're dealing with rabid Star Wars fanboys.
Rabid? Have you seen what Star Wars fans have had to deal with lately?

Originally Posted by devilshalo
I feel they're doing the right thing by giving theatrical releases a break and concentrating on the D+ shows.
I really think this is it. They know they "lost" fans, or more like goodwill from fans, with the ST and now they have a real hit with the Mandalorian so they are pivoting and regrouping to see where they go from here.

Originally Posted by Artman
SW just can't exist as single films spun off into streaming shows...(which looks like what all of these are imo) I'd be perfectly happy seeing this retooled as a streaming series.
If this means that Favreau and Filoni are more involved I'll take it. I would love it if they took a bigger role at Lucasfilm. Granted I wouldn't want them out of the creative part of it but IMO just hand them the key to Star Wars and they'll do an excellent job.
Old 11-09-21, 02:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by tanman
If this means that Favreau and Filoni are more involved I'll take it. I would love it if they took a bigger role at Lucasfilm. Granted I wouldn't want them out of the creative part of it but IMO just hand them the key to Star Wars and they'll do an excellent job.
It doesn't have to be them, but what I'd like to see is the equivalent of a Marvel phase (or longer) plan - we're doing a six film saga + streaming shows in between, over the next ten years. Whether that's old republic or whatever the latest is, that would get me excited.
The following users liked this post:
tanman (11-09-21)
Old 11-09-21, 03:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

That didn't give them the right to turn on Kelly Marie Tran. But I guess racists be racists.
Old 11-09-21, 04:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 959 Likes on 666 Posts

That didn't give them the right to turn on Kelly Marie Tran. But I guess racists be racists.
Totally agree. But don't lump every Star Wars fan in with a very small minority of the fan base. Kelly Marie Tran and even Ahmed Best got a great reception at the last Star Wars Celebration. That's the problem with social media. Anyone can pick up the bullhorn and yell and be heard. It doesn't mean they speak for everybody.
The following users liked this post:
Hokeyboy (11-09-21)
Old 11-09-21, 04:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

No, please do tell. What kind of serious injustices have those people been put through? Who or what has ruined their lives and destroyed their memories?
Old 11-09-21, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Ah yes, the myth of "toxic fandom". A few loud, whining, entitled manbabies on the Internet are entirely representative of fandom as a whole. Sounds legit.
Old 11-09-21, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Totally agree. But don't lump every Star Wars fan in with a very small minority of the fan base. Kelly Marie Tran and even Ahmed Best got a great reception at the last Star Wars Celebration. That's the problem with social media. Anyone can pick up the bullhorn and yell and be heard. It doesn't mean they speak for everybody.
Never said every fan. I'm a SW fan, myself. But look what happens to pretty much every SW thread around here with the haters. It's like a religion.
Old 11-09-21, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
I don’t buy that. Wonder Woman 1984 was dumped on HBO Max last December when the majority of U.S. theaters were still closed. That killed the movie’s chances of being a success financially.
WW84 was a bad movie, start to finish. It had a non-sensical, amateurish plot that generated no greater purpose for the universe it resides in.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.