DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Nobody (2021, D: Naishuller) S: Bob Odenkirk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/651941-nobody-2021-d-naishuller-s-bob-odenkirk.html)

dex14 12-10-20 09:54 AM

Nobody (2021, D: Naishuller) S: Bob Odenkirk

Sometimes the man you don't notice is the most dangerous of all. Emmy winner Bob Odenkirk (Better Call Saul, Breaking Bad) stars as Hutch Mansell, an underestimated and overlooked dad and husband, taking life's indignities on the chin and never pushing back. A nobody.

When two thieves break into his suburban home one night, Hutch declines to defend himself or his family, hoping to prevent serious violence. His teenage son, Blake (Gage Munroe, The Shack), is disappointed in him and his wife, Becca (Connie Nielsen, Wonder Woman), seems to pull only further away.

The aftermath of the incident strikes a match to Hutch's long-simmering rage, triggering dormant instincts and propelling him on a brutal path that will surface dark secrets and lethal skills. In a barrage of fists, gunfire, and squealing tires, Hutch must save his family from a dangerous adversary (famed Russian actor Aleksey Serebryakov, Amazon's McMafia)-and ensure that he will never be underestimated as a nobody again.

Nobody is directed by acclaimed filmmaker Ilya Naishuller (Hardcore Henry), from a script by Derek Kolstad, the narrative architect of the John Wick franchise, and co-stars legendary Emmy winner Christopher Lloyd as Hutch's father and multi-hyphenate musician-actor RZA as Hutch's brother, whose own hidden talents aid Hutch in his quest for vengeance.

The film is produced by Kelly McCormick and David Leitch, the filmmakers of Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw, Deadpool 2 and Atomic Blonde, for their company 87North, by Braden Aftergood (Hell or High Water, Wind River) for his Eighty Two Films, and by Bob Odenkirk and Marc Provissiero (Hulu's PEN15) for Odenkirk Provissiero Entertainment. The film is executive produced by Derek Kolstad, Marc S. Fischer, and Tobey Maguire.

Decker 12-10-20 10:18 AM

Re: Nobody (2021, D: Naishuller) S: Bob Odenkirk

Well that was unexpected. It's Saul Goodman in "Death Wick". Not going to risk Coronavirus to see it in a theater but would definitely rent it on VOD. Looks cool.

DWilson 12-10-20 10:47 AM

I just read a piece about this in Entertainment Weekly. Odenkirk was sent a Chinese ad for "Saul" and he decided to see if he could make a movie that would play world-wide. An Action film seemed his best shot, so he's been training for roughly two years. It's a straight-forward Action-Drama.

Groucho 12-10-20 10:50 AM

Very much a "John Wick" clone, but looks like a fun watch.

Crocker Jarmen 12-10-20 11:09 AM

After seeing Odenkirk's name, before I clicked on the thread I was thinking, "What'll it be, a comedic film or a dramatic film?" Was not expecting an action film.

RichC2 12-10-20 12:20 PM

Yeah, looks like a black comedy version of Wick.

DJariya 12-10-20 12:39 PM

It looks fun, but I doubt theatres will reopen in my area by February. So I'll catch it at some point. Not sure I want to spend $20 for a PVOD for this.

Mike86 12-10-20 12:58 PM

Looks like a fun time. Definitely a different role for Odenkirk.

This is oddly the kind of movie that I would have enjoyed seeing a matinee of along with some popcorn and a drink. Mainly because these types of movies usually weren’t overly full and full of distracting people. I’ll still watch it when it’s available at home, but I do miss that experience.

Draven 12-10-20 02:58 PM

He looks pretty good kicking the shit out of people :lol:

I met him a few years ago when he was on the show I produce - couldn't have been a nicer guy. Looking forward to this one :thumbsup:

Decker 12-10-20 03:26 PM

Honestly, his evolution as a dramatic actor has been pretty remarkable. As much fun as he could be on Breaking Bad, I always felt he stuck out like a sore thumb - a walking lawyer joke. Now he's consistently turning in some of the best dramatic work on TV. He's very gifted.

dex14 02-07-21 06:42 PM

Koby 02-07-21 10:12 PM

Seems like a cheap John Wick film, but even so it seems like it'll be great. Definitely gonna watch whenever it hits streaming or vod.

No theater is open around us and doesn't sound like any will be before this fall.

Troy Stiffler 02-07-21 11:01 PM

Interesting they’re pushing it in the Super Bowl. They must have a lot of confidence in it.

DJariya 02-07-21 11:03 PM

This is supposed to open in April. If my county in CA moves out of the most restrictive COVID tier (Purple right now) to the next tier (Red, theatres can open), I'll see it. It's feasible. April is still 2 months away. Our county is improving.

story 02-08-21 09:23 AM

I've often said this past year it will take Dune to get me back in theaters. By April 2, I will have had both doses of the vaccine by nearly two months. I think Nobody may get me back there, looks like fun.

dex14 02-22-21 08:37 PM

Universal Pictures action movie Nobody starring Bob Odenkirk will get ahead of Warner Bros.’ long-Easter-weekend release of Godzilla vs. Kong by going on March 26 instead. The movie directed by Ilya Naishuller had been scheduled for Good Friday, April 2

GoldenJCJ 02-23-21 06:18 PM

^ So they paid a shit-ton of money to have an ad during the Super Bowl just a couple weeks ago with the wrong date?

dex14 02-23-21 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ (Post 13895931)
^ So they paid a shit-ton of money to have an ad during the Super Bowl just a couple weeks ago with the wrong date?

More than likely most don't remember the date but remember the movie. It's about making people aware of it.

dex14 03-22-21 07:54 PM

Reviews: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/nobody_2021

dex14 03-26-21 03:26 PM

Saw this today. Some good action and stunts. Odenkirk is awesome in the role. Also cool to see Christopher Llyod laying out people with a shotgun. The plot is very by the numbers, nothing you haven't seen before. And yes... very John Wick.

It is definitely worth checking out, but I wouldn't say run out to the theatre if you don't feel like it. Since it is distributed by Universal it should be PVOD in 3 weeks or so.

OldBoy 03-26-21 05:23 PM

^ i hope so. i am dying to see this. i can't believe they couldn't work out a streaming service for fee as well...

He Who Lurks No More 03-28-21 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by dex14 (Post 13911661)
Saw this today. Some good action and stunts. Odenkirk is awesome in the role. Also cool to see Christopher Lloyd laying out people with a shotgun. The plot is very by the numbers, nothing you haven't seen before. And yes... very John Wick.

It is definitely worth checking out, but I wouldn't say run out to the theatre if you don't feel like it. Since it is distributed by Universal it should be PVOD in 3 weeks or so.

Very well said. The reviewer on RogerEbert.Com said it could stand to be a little bit longer, and I agree. I would have liked to see the set piece at the "Bank" played out in real time. The final sequence was too slick for my tastes, but it fit the movie.

Osiris3657 03-28-21 09:18 PM

This was fun. Good way to kill 90 minutes. Felt like it's in the John Wick universe. Also really cool to see Christopher Lloyd, can't remember the last thing I saw him in.

DWilson 03-29-21 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by OldBoy (Post 13911720)
^ i hope so. i am dying to see this. i can't believe they couldn't work out a streaming service for fee as well...

It's Universal, so it will be streaming 15 days after the premiere, much like "Let Him Go".

DJariya 03-29-21 08:26 PM

I just got back from seeing it. It was awesome. Such a departure for Odenkirk playing a badaas here. Brutal, bloody and very well choreographed fight scenes and pretty wild shootouts. And there was a little dark humor.

Also loved Christopher Lloyd in this as well.

It's definitely worth seeing if you're a fan of the John Wick type movies. It doesn't drag either. It's a pretty well paced 90 minutes.

If you have any inclination at all to visit a theater, I would suggest a matinee for this one.