Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Underrated horror movies and the lesser known stuff

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Underrated horror movies and the lesser known stuff

Old 12-05-20, 11:13 AM
  #1  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 1,030
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Underrated horror movies and the lesser known stuff

Underrated horror movies along with lesser known movies do you know of? My personal favorites simply because of the time when i was a kid in the 1980s and a teenager in the 1990s

Underrated
Nightmare on Elm Street 2
The Curse. has a young Whil Wheaton in the movie
Near Dark
The Gate
Critters
Friday the 13th Part IV
Halloween III
Swamp Thing
The Video Dead
Phenomena
The Bride. classic 1980s attempt at Frankenstein. Starring Sting and Clancy Brown
Andy Warhol's Dracula and Frankenstein movies that came on USA Network a few times back in the day

Lesser known stuff from the 1980s and 1990s stuff i found out from VHS rentals and/or on HBO

The Curse
Don't Go in the House
Motel Hell
Mother's Day
Flesh Eating Mothers
The Bride. im probably one of the few that knows about the movie
Skeeter
Mosquito
Doctor Mordred
Subspecies
The following 2 users liked this post by urrutiap:
Adam Tyner (12-05-20), IBJoel (12-07-20)
Old 12-05-20, 01:15 PM
  #2  
DVD Talk Hero
 
TomOpus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 40,173
Received 1,310 Likes on 954 Posts
Re: Underrated horror movies and the lesser known stuff

Originally Posted by urrutiap
The Bride. im probably one of the few that knows about the movie
Talking about the Jennifer Beals movie where the only redeeming value is she got naked?
Old 12-05-20, 01:30 PM
  #3  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Crocker Jarmen's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 8,837
Received 492 Likes on 324 Posts
Re: Underrated horror movies and the lesser known stuff

I saw The Bride when I was a kid at the drive-in on a double-bill with Fright Night. I'm impressed by how many details I remember all these years later about the monster (his dwarf friend chiding him for his manners, the circus murder), yet don't recall any nakedness. I would have just turned 7 years old.

Wanted to check it out again for years. Never found a DVD (or even VHS) release, and it's yet to show up on any of the streaming banks I have access to.
Old 12-05-20, 04:09 PM
  #4  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 1,030
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Re: Underrated horror movies and the lesser known stuff

i also forgot to mention these classics which to me two movies act like soft core porn horror

Mirror Mirror 1
Prom Night 2
Monster in the Closet - a silly light hearted horror movie that has subltle jokes involving the main character looking like Clark Kent
Cameron's Closet. saw it once late night on HBO back then. one of those odd horror movies
Destroyer that one haunted prison movie with Anthony Perkins
also another Anthony Perkins which was a Dr Jekyl Mr Hyde movie that came on really late at night on HBO or whatever back then. Another horror movie that ended up acting like a soft core porn horror movie
Old 12-05-20, 05:20 PM
  #5  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Norm de Plume's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Toronto
Posts: 20,047
Received 799 Likes on 567 Posts
Re: Underrated horror movies and the lesser known stuff

Where to begin...
Old 12-05-20, 05:28 PM
  #6  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Vipper II's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Abingdon, MD
Posts: 3,617
Received 86 Likes on 64 Posts
Re: Underrated horror movies and the lesser known stuff

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen
I saw The Bride when I was a kid at the drive-in on a double-bill with Fright Night. I'm impressed by how many details I remember all these years later about the monster (his dwarf friend chiding him for his manners, the circus murder), yet don't recall any nakedness. I would have just turned 7 years old.

Wanted to check it out again for years. Never found a DVD (or even VHS) release, and it's yet to show up on any of the streaming banks I have access to.
Not only was it nakedness, but it was full frontal. In a PG-13 flick. But it was a body double, not the real Jennifer Beals. I know there's a Blu-ray out there somewhere, and it occasionally pops up on Netflix and Amazon Prime. I actually think I kind of like it, but it's at its best when it focuses on Clancy Brown and the late David Rappaport (the dwarf friend). The stuff with Sting and Beals is pretty bland.
Old 12-05-20, 06:19 PM
  #7  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Crocker Jarmen's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 8,837
Received 492 Likes on 324 Posts
Re: Underrated horror movies and the lesser known stuff

Originally Posted by Vipper II
Not only was it nakedness, but it was full frontal. In a PG-13 flick. But it was a body double, not the real Jennifer Beals. I know there's a Blu-ray out there somewhere, and it occasionally pops up on Netflix and Amazon Prime. I actually think I kind of like it, but it's at its best when it focuses on Clancy Brown and the late David Rappaport (the dwarf friend). The stuff with Sting and Beals is pretty bland.
Wow! I just looked the scene up on-line. In 1985, the topless scene in Fright Night made a big impression on me, so I'm shocked I don't remember this. I must have left the car to go get more popcorn during this scene. Does anyone else remember seeing the movie theatrically and that being in there? Are we sure this isn't a case of something like The Little Girl Who Lives Down The Lane that didn't have the nudity until it was put out on home video?
Old 12-05-20, 07:22 PM
  #8  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Nick Danger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Albuquerque
Posts: 30,725
Received 1,497 Likes on 946 Posts
Re: Underrated horror movies and the lesser known stuff

We have The Bride on DVD. We can't be the only ones.
Old 12-05-20, 10:59 PM
  #9  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mrs. Danger's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: With Nick Danger
Posts: 20,026
Received 1,102 Likes on 597 Posts
Re: Underrated horror movies and the lesser known stuff

I'm going to argue that The Bride isn't really a horror movie. It's philosophical romance.

Primer isn't horror either, but it's still scary.

Captain Kronos - Vampire Hunter is a fun Hammer clone. Male lead with a great butt, and creepy times when a friend becomes undead, and he has to figure out how to kill him.

Hatchet for the Honeymoon has a unique, and particularly vengeful kind of haunting.

House (1985) is a pretty traditional haunted house story. The main character has to "solve" the haunting. It's updated to 1980's horrors and humor, though.

And I adore The Brain that Wouldn't Die. It's part of my "brain in a jar" collection. It's not really a brain in a jar, it's a whole head on a cookie sheet. When a brilliant surgeon's fiancee is killed in a car crash, he keeps her head alive in his lab while he heads to the strip clubs to find her a new body. The disembodied head waxes philosophical.

The Hideous Sun Demon is fun. Gilbert works with atomic materials while badly hung over. As a result, he starts having a bad reaction to direct sunlight. He continues to do stupid things and drink too much.

That's all off the top of my head. I might have more suggestions for you later.
Old 12-05-20, 11:05 PM
  #10  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
rbrown498's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 4,477
Received 233 Likes on 170 Posts
Re: Underrated horror movies and the lesser known stuff

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen
Wow! I just looked the scene up on-line. In 1985, the topless scene in Fright Night made a big impression on me, so I'm shocked I don't remember this. I must have left the car to go get more popcorn during this scene. Does anyone else remember seeing the movie theatrically and that being in there? Are we sure this isn't a case of something like The Little Girl Who Lives Down The Lane that didn't have the nudity until it was put out on home video?
I saw it in the theater, and I can vouch that Jennifer Beals (or a reasonable facsimile thereof) was naked from the waist down. Flashdance, indeed.


Last edited by rbrown498; 12-05-20 at 11:15 PM.
Old 12-06-20, 12:16 PM
  #11  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Cumbernauld Scotland
Posts: 1,110
Received 61 Likes on 44 Posts
Re: Underrated horror movies and the lesser known stuff

Midnight Ride with Mark Hamill as a serial killer scared the crap out of me as a kid. I'm always surprised its not talked about more even among just Hamill fans. Its cheesy but creepy
The following users liked this post:
IBJoel (12-07-20)
Old 12-06-20, 01:57 PM
  #12  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
PatD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 3,287
Likes: 0
Received 157 Likes on 97 Posts
Re: Underrated horror movies and the lesser known stuff

The Blob (1988)--for reasons that might only be attributed to a quantum singularity, horror movie remakes of the 80s, were pretty damned good (except for Invaders from Mars). The Thing and The Fly are both considered classics of the genre now. The Blob remake should also fit that bill. It's a wonderfully executed and highly entertaining piece of sci fi horror. The horror in it is merciless and there's humor to boot that doesn't counteract said horror. In fact, I watched it this last Halloween and it still holds up quite well 32 years later! I would go so far to say it's better than the original by a country mile.

Also, Halloween III and Night of the Creeps--even though they are being embraced more and more.
The following users liked this post:
IBJoel (12-07-20)
Old 12-06-20, 03:25 PM
  #13  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mrs. Danger's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: With Nick Danger
Posts: 20,026
Received 1,102 Likes on 597 Posts
Re: Underrated horror movies and the lesser known stuff

Originally Posted by PatD
The Blob (1988)--for reasons that might only be attributed to a quantum singularity, horror movie remakes of the 80s, were pretty damned good (except for Invaders from Mars). The Thing and The Fly are both considered classics of the genre now. The Blob remake should also fit that bill. It's a wonderfully executed and highly entertaining piece of sci fi horror. The horror in it is merciless and there's humor to boot that doesn't counteract said horror. In fact, I watched it this last Halloween and it still holds up quite well 32 years later! I would go so far to say it's better than the original by a country mile.
I also like the anti-tropes in it.
Old 12-06-20, 04:00 PM
  #14  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Austin, TX, USA
Posts: 13,225
Received 1,123 Likes on 813 Posts
Re: Underrated horror movies and the lesser known stuff

I don't know if MAY (2002) is lesser known among horror fans, but I think it is underrated.


Old 12-06-20, 04:25 PM
  #15  
DVD Talk Hero
 
TomOpus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 40,173
Received 1,310 Likes on 954 Posts
Re: Underrated horror movies and the lesser known stuff

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
I don't know if MAY (2002) is lesser known among horror fans, but I think it is underrated.
It's fairly well-known and liked by the horror fans I know. RT has it at 69% so, it's a tad underrated by critics.
Old 12-06-20, 04:58 PM
  #16  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 13,018
Received 966 Likes on 737 Posts
Re: Underrated horror movies and the lesser known stuff

I Am a Ghost, a very independent horror film from SF-based filmmaker HP Mendoza. Saw it at a film festival, and people behind me were really freaking out.
Old 12-06-20, 09:48 PM
  #17  
DVD Talk Hero
 
GoldenJCJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Colorado
Posts: 27,547
Received 3,298 Likes on 2,116 Posts
Re: Underrated horror movies and the lesser known stuff

Originally Posted by TomOpus
It's fairly well-known and liked by the horror fans I know. RT has it at 69% so, it's a tad underrated by critics.
I remember May first hit my radar when Roger Ebert gave it 4 stars.
Old 12-06-20, 10:44 PM
  #18  
DVD Talk Hero
 
TomOpus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 40,173
Received 1,310 Likes on 954 Posts
Re: Underrated horror movies and the lesser known stuff

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
I remember May first hit my radar when Roger Ebert gave it 4 stars.
I could see that making people take notice.
Old 12-07-20, 09:10 PM
  #19  
RIP
 
EddieMoney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Paradise, USA
Posts: 9,918
Received 61 Likes on 44 Posts
Re: Underrated horror movies and the lesser known stuff

Edge of the Axe
Old 12-08-20, 09:23 AM
  #20  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mrs. Danger's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: With Nick Danger
Posts: 20,026
Received 1,102 Likes on 597 Posts
Re: Underrated horror movies and the lesser known stuff

Psychomania (1973) The terror of an immortal motorcycle gang. Also a cautionary tale for those dabbling in the occult.... know the source of your power.
Old 12-09-20, 08:55 AM
  #21  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
DWilson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 5,354
Received 231 Likes on 204 Posts
Re: Underrated horror movies and the lesser known stuff

"Deathdream" (1974) Directed by the late, great Bob Clark, who would go on to do "Black Christmas", and "A Christmas Story".

A young soldier named Andy is reported killed in Viet Nam. That same night he shows up on his parents' doorstep, as if brought back by his mother's wishes that he not be dead. Upon his return, Andy sits blankly in his room, ignoring everyone, and ventures out only at night, seeking blood.
It's a genuinely creepy low-budget film. I stumbled on to it back in the late 70s, on a 3am broadcast on a local channel.
The following users liked this post:
Norm de Plume (12-13-20)
Old 12-09-20, 11:29 AM
  #22  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
davidlynchfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 3,942
Received 107 Likes on 85 Posts
Re: Underrated horror movies and the lesser known stuff

Suddenly in the Dark, probably the only Korean film I ever liked.
Old 12-12-20, 08:42 AM
  #23  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mrs. Danger's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: With Nick Danger
Posts: 20,026
Received 1,102 Likes on 597 Posts
Re: Underrated horror movies and the lesser known stuff

I finally remembered this one, it's high quality, starring Rock Hudson.

Seconds, 1966

It's science fiction, but gets very creepy, and raises a lot of philosophical questions about identity, and life purpose.

There are also naked dancing pagan chicks.
The following users liked this post:
Norm de Plume (12-13-20)
Old 12-12-20, 02:12 PM
  #24  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Traxan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,475
Likes: 0
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts
Re: Underrated horror movies and the lesser known stuff

"The Eye." Not the horrible Jessica Alba remake, the Chinese original.

I distinctly recall that one scene... "You're in my seat."

*shiver*
Old 12-12-20, 07:53 PM
  #25  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 13,018
Received 966 Likes on 737 Posts
Re: Underrated horror movies and the lesser known stuff

Originally Posted by davidlynchfan
Suddenly in the Dark, probably the only Korean film I ever liked.
Don't know if you've seen it, but the SK film A Tale of Two Sisters is in my top ten list of all time. It's too highly regarded to be considered underrated or lesser-known though.
The following users liked this post:
rbrown498 (12-13-20)

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.