Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Every 2021 WB movie streaming simultaneously on HBO Max upon theatrical release

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Every 2021 WB movie streaming simultaneously on HBO Max upon theatrical release

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-20, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
re: Every 2021 WB movie streaming simultaneously on HBO Max upon theatrical release

I don't see this being a long term switch. Leaving hundreds of millions on the table by cutting out the theatrical window permanently would be foolish imo.
The following users liked this post:
DJariya (12-03-20)
Old 12-03-20, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,808 Likes on 1,129 Posts
re: Every 2021 WB movie streaming simultaneously on HBO Max upon theatrical release

Old 12-03-20, 01:35 PM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
I don't see this being a long term switch. Leaving hundreds of millions on the table by cutting out the theatrical window permanently would be foolish imo.
Agreed.

It will turn hybrid for the mid-tier budget stuff and studios will have to be more cautious about the amount of $200mil movies they make. But the Blockbusters will get theatrical when they can get back to that.
Old 12-03-20, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
It's not like they are cutting the theatres out entirely... the studios still need to make money.
That is exactly what they are doing. They just severed the vein, it's going to take time to bleed out, but that is exactly what is happening.
Old 12-03-20, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by sauce07
That is exactly what they are doing. They just severed the vein, it's going to take time to bleed out, but that is exactly what is happening.
If they were cutting them out entirely then the theatres wouldn't still be playing them...like they are.
The studios are working with the theatres to come up some sort of solution instead of just saying fuck it... we'll just put directly on our service.
Old 12-03-20, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If they were cutting them out entirely then the theatres wouldn't still be playing them...like they are.
Because their option is to take those movies or just give up
Old 12-03-20, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

Jason Kilar, the CEO of Warner Media, just posted this about the news:

We have big news to share. As many of you know, Wonder Woman 1984 is going to be released worldwide in theaters later this month. In the United States, we will also be making the movie available on HBO Max at no extra cost the same day that Wonder Woman 1984 premieres in theaters (for the first month of the film’s release).

We are announcing today that, in the United States, the entire anticipated 17-film 2021 Warner Bros. motion picture slate is going to be released throughout the coming year in theaters and on HBO Max the same day. That’s a Warner Bros. motion picture just about once every three weeks. Saidanother way, when we release The Little Things, Judas and the Black Messiah, Tom & Jerry, Godzilla vs. Kong, Mortal Kombat, Those Who Wish Me Dead, The Conjuring: The Devil Made Me Do It, In The Heights, Space Jam: A New Legacy, The Suicide Squad, Reminiscence, Malignant, Dune, The Many Saints of Newark, King Richard, Cry Macho and Matrix 4 in theaters around the world in 2021, in the United States, we will also be releasing them the same day on HBO Max, at no extra cost, for the first month of each film’s release. This 43-second video does a far better job than I could ever do communicating this news, so take a look:
As I mentioned in my post from a few weeks ago, we see an opportunity to do something firmly focused on the fans, which is to provide choice. Whether that choice is to enjoy a great new movie out at the cinema, to open up HBO Max, or to do both. For more visibility and context into our thought process, please do read the post here.

We are so excited for the year ahead, which for us begins with the release of Wonder Woman 1984 in a few weeks (less than 22 days from now, but who’s counting?). 17, yes, 17 huge motion pictures are planned to be both in theaters and on HBO Max.

And on the subject of HBO Max, there are so many amazing HBO original series and Max originals I’m excited about. The Tiger Woods HBO documentary arriving in January is incredible. And this little thing called Zack Snyder’s Justice League coming in a few months as well 😊. Oh, and the return of Succession and the highly-anticipated Friends Reunion. We also have a great new crime drama coming called No Sudden Move from Oscar- and Emmy-winning director Steven Soderbergh. And then there is Mare of Easttown starring Kate Winslet. Plus, the new Gossip Girl, which I think is going to make so many fans go crazy (in a good way). And…ok, I’ll stop there, but I have only scratched the surface in terms of the new releases HBO Max has in store. Maybe I should do another post on the bonkers library of movies and series on HBO Max?

Before I end this post, I want to say that none of this would be possible without the hard work of so many people at WarnerMedia. I am so proud of how this amazing team is inventing and collaborating on behalf of customers, blazing new ground with each passing day. As a team, we are all extremely fortunate that we get to do what we do each day, which is to move the world — the fans, the audience — through story. We so thoroughly believe in this mission and we never take this privilege for granted.

With thanks,

P.S. Principal photography starts on the next Game of Thrones series, House of the Dragon, in a few months. Look out for dragons overhead!
Old 12-03-20, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by sauce07
Because their option is to take those movies or just give up
And the studios options is to release the movies or don't...
They can't keep sitting on them.
Old 12-03-20, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts

I wonder if they is any talk of streaming on day one the new James Bond movie?

I guess Epix would be chosen as their streaming choice.
Old 12-03-20, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Of course not, nobody is a winner here. WB will be taking a huge loss on these titles, they'll have to shift their focus more to mid-budget movies, while only producing a couple tentpoles. Theaters need product, so if their only option is to take movies that are also on HBO Max, they'll do it. My local arthouse never took Netflix movies, I was a little annoyed last year because I was hoping they would get The Irishman, but the owner stuck by his guns and didn't book it. One year later, half of his screens are Netflix movies. He's doing what he needs to. If your option is Croods 2 or nothing, you'll book Croods 2.
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by dvd-4-life

I don't know if you saw the news, but the studio wants $600M for it and no one wants to pay that much. No other deals have been rumored.

MGM explored selling it to Netflix and Apple for $600mil. They have said they will not be doing that.
And there is no way a James Bond movie would premiere on fucking Epix.
Old 12-03-20, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk God

MGM explored selling it to Netflix and Apple for $600mil. They have said they will not be doing that.
And there is no way a James Bond movie would premiere on fucking Epix.
Sure EPIX licenses the Bond movies a few times a year, but yeah they would never get 1st run rights to No Time to Die. They couldn't afford it and don't have enough subscribers.

As of 2019, EPIX had roughly 15M subscribers.
Old 12-03-20, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts

I doubt that they sit on the new James Bond movie much longer.

All depends on how many receive the vaccine.
Old 12-03-20, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk God

I doubt that they sit on the new James Bond movie much longer.

All depends on how many receive the vaccine.
They can sit on it if they want to. EON owns the movie and it's bought and paid for out of Barbara Broccoli's bank account. It's not accruing any interest. It's still slated to come out in April 2021.
Old 12-03-20, 02:16 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Even without Warner Brothers doing this, theaters were already in danger. People just plain don't want to go to the movies right now, and a COVID vaccine is probably months away for the general public. And with the convenience of modern entertainment on demand, it was already a matter of time. COVID-19 just sped up the process.
Old 12-03-20, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

I like seeing big blockbuster movies in theaters, but I also like not catching a potentially fatal disease and dying. If this is only for one year, so be it.

However the movie-going experience has sucked for a while now. If it forever changes that experience for the better, I am ok with it.
Old 12-03-20, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Here's a good breakdown from Man Murrell

Old 12-03-20, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
I like seeing big blockbuster movies in theaters, but I also like not catching a potentially fatal disease and dying. If this is only for one year, so be it.

However the movie-going experience has sucked for a while now. If it forever changes that experience for the better, I am ok with it.
Short term, it'll be fine. Longer term, with the effects on the theater, the loss of that revenue stream, and what that does to getting movies funded, who knows? But short term, heck yeah!
Old 12-03-20, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 230 Likes on 158 Posts

Looks like the WB gets it and is willing to adapt.

Something the music industry failed to realize years ago.
Old 12-03-20, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 230 Likes on 158 Posts

I would've easily paid an additional $10 or so per movie in addition to the subscription.
Same here and chances are if this model becomes the norm, HBO will eventually up-charge for multiple screen and eventually 4K....which I would have zero issue paying for.
Old 12-03-20, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts

Don’t actors/actresses often have deals to get points that translate to a share of release sales? Maybe not many, but I’m sure they’d be pissed. I wonder if WB was able to just do this or if they had to restructure deals.
Old 12-03-20, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by Superman07
Don’t actors/actresses often have deals to get points that translate to a share of release sales? Maybe not many, but I’m sure they’d be pissed. I wonder if WB was able to just do this or if they had to restructure deals.
Studios have to take a look at contracts that may promise some kind of theatrical release, as well as renegotiate backend deal with financial partners and talent before making any announcements in the press. In the case of “Wonder Woman 1984,” insiders say that Gadot and director Patty Jenkins received generous backend deals after agreeing to send the film to HBO Max. The pair may never have hit the necessary milestones to trigger that money in the current environment, given that many theaters are closed and cinemas still haven’t opened in New York City or Los Angeles. But in pre-pandemic times, the sequel to 2017’s “Wonder Woman” would have likely been within reach of the billion-dollar mark. The original superhero adventure generated over $800 million at the worldwide box office.

Further complicating matters, studios have to play a seemingly unending game of phone tag to get all parties to sign off. Some of these actors and directors have moved on to other projects, many of which are shooting in the U.K., Australia or other exotic locals that wreaks havoc on aligning all the timezones.

If the director, major stars or producers can’t be convinced that digital debuts are their best option, the alternative is to continue kicking movies down the road. But then, they run the risk of an even more uncertain theatrical environment. There’s no indication of when moviegoing will return to a significant degree, which means waiting can be equally as risky as taking a bold bet on a streaming service. When “Tenet” premiered in September, 70% of U.S. movie theaters had reopened. By Thanksgiving, hundreds had shuttered again, leaving roughly one-third in business. The number of screens to play a movie could keep dwindling, especially if independent cinemas don’t receive federal relief.
The following users liked this post:
TheBang (12-08-20)
Old 12-03-20, 05:19 PM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts

I would assume that Warner would have to restructure deals with the theaters. My understand is that the studio gets the lion's share of revenue the first couple weeks, like 90%, the theaters make it up with popcorn sales. I would imagine the hit from streaming would cut numbers in half, and correspondingly, I would expect the theater to expect a 50% cut in revenue to make up for it.
Old 12-03-20, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Interesting that they would even consider putting the Matrix 4 in this group. They could easily put that one off a year and it is the most likely to have a huge box office. This feels more like the WB board is going all in on streaming over theatrical.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.