DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Oscar losses that will always stay with you? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/651868-oscar-losses-will-always-stay-you.html)

OldBoy 11-29-20 07:33 PM

Oscar losses that will always stay with you?

I mentioned 4 in another thread. I will always remember and half the time I can’t remember what won the previous year’s Best Picture for goodness sake.

There are 3 instances in my immediate history that I was really disappointed when someone I thought should have gotten Oscar and was lock imo, but didn’t. Rourke for The Wrestler, Eddie Murphy for Dreamgirls, Bill Murray Lost in Translation, actually 4, Keaton in Birdman... Those will always stay with me in some weird way and really stick in my craw. I think I start to remember these specifically when the Oscars are near.

Why So Blu? 11-29-20 07:42 PM

Re: Oscar losses that will always stay with you?

None.

TGM 11-29-20 07:46 PM

I could not care less about the annual grab assing of Hollywood elites.

The Cow 11-29-20 08:05 PM

None, never cared who won or lost.

Michael Corvin 11-29-20 08:08 PM

I gave up on the Oscars in the late 90s when it became anti-mainstream flicks.

To answer two come to mind:

1. Best Pic - Forrest Gump winning best pic over Shawshank and Pulp Fiction. I loved Gump, but it's always felt like the wrong choice and time seems to have borne that out. Two of them have only gotten better with age while the other is mostly forgotten.

2. Best Original Song - "You'll Be in my Heart" (Phil Collins) for Tarzan winning over "Blame Canada" (South Park), and "When She Loved Me" (Toy Story 2). While the Tarzan song is sweet an well done, there's nothing original about it compared to the other two. I'm not even a South Park fan, but there's no denying it's more original. And "When She Loved Me" is such a beautiful song about a child's love of a toy. Again, way more original.

Dan 11-29-20 08:22 PM

https://i.imgur.com/Jhy1pnL.jpg
Spoiler:
Not technically a "loss" because she was never nominated.

Otherwise, no. Don't give a shit.

MLBFan24 11-29-20 08:32 PM

80th Academy Awards (2007 films) - The Golden Compass wins Best Visual Effects over Transformers

I remember when Transformers was first announced and nobody had faith that the CGI would look good. But that movie pulled it off. Say what you want about the sequels, but the first film was solid.

Michael Corvin 11-29-20 08:38 PM

The first Transformers is trash. It only seems good by comparison to the sequels. The CG is decent though despite the actual "transforming" looking like a jumbled mess of metal parts.

inri222 11-29-20 08:46 PM

Ordinary People beating Raging Bull for best picture & director

Dances With Wolves beating Goodfellas for best picture & director

Rocky beating Taxi Driver/Network/All the President’s Men for best picture

Kramer vs Kramer beating Apocalypse Now for best picture & director

American Beauty beating The Insider for best picture & director

Crocker Jarmen 11-29-20 08:54 PM

I was profoundly disappointed Once Upon A Time In Hollywood didn't win best original screenplay, not because I think it was so superior to Parasite, but because seeing Spike Lee having to hand Tarantino an Oscar would have been such a great moment. On the night of the telecast, after Lee opened the envelope, he stared at it silently for a couple of seconds (presumably as he reminded himself how to pronounce Bong Joo-ho) and I thought for moment he was deciding whether or not to fling the envelope to the ground and walk off stage going, "I thought I could do it, but I can't! I just can't!"

stvn1974 11-29-20 08:58 PM

Ellen Burstyn for Requiem For A Dream losing to Julia Roberts for wearing a pushup bra in Erin Brokovich.

I have never cared about the Oscars but that one was laughable.

ddrknghtrtns 11-29-20 09:11 PM

Annie Hall over Star Wars! WTF Hollywood?

Bluelitespecial 11-29-20 09:19 PM

Shakespeare in Love winning Best Picture over Saving Private Ryan.

EddieMoney 11-29-20 09:27 PM

Out of Africa winning over any of the other nominees that year.

tanman 11-29-20 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial (Post 13850600)
Shakespeare in Love winning Best Picture over Saving Private Ryan.

Beat me too it. SPR is one of those movies that transcends the medium and becomes something culturally important. It really helped shine a spotlight on that part of history and that generation. It really elevated the war movie genre as well and totally revolutionized the way action is shot in movies. I feel like this and Schindler's List were so important in connecting many people, but especially my generation, with the "Greatest Generation". It inspired Band of Brothers and the Pacific as well as a whole subgenre of WWII video games starting with Medal of Honor. It generated public interest and since then the WWII memorial and the National D-Day museum were built.

One of the most important films of all time looses to a Weinstein film. Nothing against the film itself but you know he had his grubby paws in it.

clckworang 11-29-20 11:00 PM

Crash winning beat picture. Literally any of the other best picture nominees would have been a far better choice. Heck, I'd go so far as to say any of the nominees in the acting or screenplay categories that weren't nominated for best picture would have made a better choice.

Nesbit 11-29-20 11:04 PM

Kim Basinger (LA Confidential) robbed Julianne Moore (Boogie Nights)

Perkinsun Dzees 11-29-20 11:18 PM

I'm still infuriated to this day that Kevin Spacey (American Beauty) beat out Rob Schneider (Deuce Bigelow) for Best Actor.

devilshalo 11-29-20 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by MLBFan24 (Post 13850588)
80th Academy Awards (2007 films) - The Golden Compass wins Best Visual Effects over Transformers

I remember when Transformers was first announced and nobody had faith that the CGI would look good. But that movie pulled it off. Say what you want about the sequels, but the first film was solid.

Babe over Apollo 13. With no third nominee.

devilshalo 11-29-20 11:38 PM

The King's Speech over The Social Network.

Runaway 11-30-20 12:15 AM

Meryl Streep (The Iron Lady) over Glenn Close (Albert Nobbs)
I always had the feeling the Academy wanted to give Streep an Oscar since she is nominated every year. While Streeps performance is good as always the movie is so badly directed, the performance couldn't possibly out way that. Glenn Close totally got lost in her role.

Hazel Motes 11-30-20 12:16 AM

Only 2 really. Bill Murray for Lost In Translation and Mickey Rourke for The Wrestler. Murray because he is my favorite actor ever and because LIT is one of my 5 all-time favorite films. Mickey Rourke, because I am a big wrestling fan and there aren't a lot of films about wrestling (due to Hollywoods hatred of wrestling), let alone good ones, and I thought he was so fantastic in the role. Also, at the time, I thought it was going to be such a great comeback story for a great actor that was completely forgotten about by Hollywood. (even if it was his own fault.) Alas, Oscar or not, his comeback was short lived as he torpedoed his career once again. But at the time I was really pulling for him to win it.

Both times the Oscar went to Sean Penn.

Hazel Motes 11-30-20 12:33 AM

Generally though, I am more upset about an actor winning an award than I am about an actor losing one. Listening to Anne Hathaway or Reese Witherspoon fall all over themselves with false modesty and self importance really grinds my gears. Basically anyone who refuses (or doesn't know how to) measure the scope of what they've actually accomplished and act accordingly. Also, people who think that by standing on that stage with a statue in their hands means it's their turn to be Rosa Parks for 3 minutes.

Unless you are being funny, interesting or prompt, you are doing it wrong. (Unless there are extenuating circumstances.)

magman 11-30-20 01:12 AM

Michael Keaton for Birdman.

I was disappointed he didn't win for sentimental reasons and because I know he would have given a really great acceptance speech.

PatD 11-30-20 01:25 AM

When the powerful, memorable anthem, "This is Me" (The Greatest Showman) lost to the anemic, forgettable "Remember Me" (Coco) I literally yelled, "fuck you!" at the screen. ("This is Me" got me through a really hard period of my life.)

Denzel Washington (Malcolm X) losing to Al Pacino (Scent of a Woman) in 1992.

Do the Right Thing not even getting nominated the same year Driving Miss Daisy won Best Picture.

Won't You Be My Neighbor? not even getting nominated for Best Documentary.

Even though I didn't live during that time: Citizen Kane losing to How Green Was My Valley. (How Green was My Valley being taught in film schools these days?)

And lastly, we've had tons of musicals, a horror movie (The Silence of the Lambs) and a fantasy movie (Lord of the Rings: Return of the King) win Best Picture, but a science film? Nope. After all, how have science fiction films ever advanced the art of cinema?

The Oscars are a joke.