Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Favorite re-interpretation of a previously played character or adapted from fiction?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Favorite re-interpretation of a previously played character or adapted from fiction?

Old 11-18-20, 08:03 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 947 Likes on 793 Posts

Hands down mine goes to Karl Urban as Dr. Leonard “Bones” McCoy in rebooted Star Trek franchise. He neither imitated, nor mocked DeForest Kelley’s interpretation. Just a freaking spot on pretty accurate interpretation of that already iconic fictional character.

Last edited by OldBoy; 11-18-20 at 08:21 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by OldBoy:
Giantrobo (11-23-20), milo bloom (11-18-20)
Old 11-18-20, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,276 Likes on 2,106 Posts
Re: Favorite re-interpretation of a previously played character?

Does the Hasselhoff version of Nick Fury count? If so, gotta go with Samuel L. Jackson.
Old 11-18-20, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,168 Likes on 912 Posts

I will agree that Karl Urban is a bright spot in the Kelvin timeline.

Obvious answer- most of the actors who have played Bond. Particularly Dalton, but I also like Moore and Brosnan. Craig is good too.

Michael Keaton and Christian Bale both played good versions of Batman/Bruce Wayne after Adam West.

Ewan McGregor as Obi-Wan Kenobi was a very serviceable actor in the role after Alec Guinness’ version.

Also I don’t expect many will agree, but Alden Ehrenreich as Han Solo in Solo.
The following users liked this post:
IBJoel (11-19-20)
Old 11-18-20, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 921 Likes on 654 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86

Obvious answer- most of the actors who have played Bond. Particularly Dalton, but I also like Moore and Brosnan. Craig is good too.
My first "obvious" thought was Anthony Hopkins as Hannibal Lecter.
Old 11-18-20, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,309 Likes on 953 Posts
Re: Favorite re-interpretation of a previously played character or adapted from fiction?

Henry Cavill as Superman...with or without the mustache.
Giantrobo (11-23-20)
Old 11-19-20, 02:30 AM

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Re: Favorite re-interpretation of a previously played character or adapted from fiction?

Heath Ledger and Joaquin Phoenix as The Joker
Old 11-19-20, 04:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
My first "obvious" thought was Anthony Hopkins as Hannibal Lecter.
Really? I much prefer Brian Cox in the role. Hopkins felt like he was hamming it up, whilst Cox was understated and it felt far more realistic, intelligent and scary. Now Madds Mikklesons version is fantastic.

First one that came to mind was Heath Ledger as the Joker.

Last edited by james2025a; 11-19-20 at 04:56 PM.
Old 11-19-20, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,358 Likes on 4,351 Posts

Robert DeNiro as Vito Corleone in The Godfather Part Ii.
Old 11-19-20, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 280 Likes on 215 Posts

Old 11-19-20, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 83 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by james2025a
Really? I much prefer Brian Cox in the role. Hopkins felt like he was hamming it up, whilst Cox was understated and it felt far more realistic, intelligent and scary.
Did you feel he was even hamming it up in Silence? I could definitely see that with Hannibal and, to a lesser extent, Red Dragon, but I thought he was pretty damn scary in Silence of the Lambs.
Old 11-19-20, 05:41 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,203 Likes on 852 Posts

Jesus Christ.
Old 11-19-20, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,168 Likes on 912 Posts

Surprised more than one person has mentioned Hannibal. Granted I haven’t seen Manhunter. I know it’s supposed to be good, but I would think most view Hopkins as definitive in the role.
Old 11-22-20, 04:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Mike86
Surprised more than one person has mentioned Hannibal. Granted I haven’t seen Manhunter. I know it’s supposed to be good, but I would think most view Hopkins as definitive in the role.
i am not the only voice to think Hopkins was fine. But certainly not the best Lecter/Lecktor. Over the years i have lost count of the number of times i have heard others say it.

And yes, even in Silence of the Lambs i found him to be hamming it up at times. I get why people love it, but after seeing the role being so masterfully underplayed by Cox it just makes Hopkins performance come off worse. Cox was truly terrifying as he projected a superior intelligence without artwork on walls, sniffing perfumes, or psycho-analysis. In SotL the character is almost on par with Freddy and Jason he is so on the nose as an almost supernatural villain. Cox in such a small amount of screen time came across as a real person who was charismatic, had a genius level intellect and who could kill you in the blink of an eye.
Old 11-22-20, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 746 Likes on 546 Posts

Krasinski is a different approach to Jack Ryan. And Harrison made me forget that Baldwin was in the role. Pine and Affleck.. well....
Old 11-23-20, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 292 Likes on 217 Posts

Superman Christopher Reeve
Old 11-23-20, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,358 Likes on 4,351 Posts

I think Michael Gambon's Dumbledore is kind of under-rated. He took over for the legendary Richard Harris three movies in and just totally embraced the role and was so effortless in his grace and wisdom. I bet a lot of kids didn't even realize that the role got recast.
Old 11-23-20, 11:57 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

How about one with the same actor? Deadpool (Ryan Reynolds)
Old 11-24-20, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by james2025a
i am not the only voice to think Hopkins was fine. But certainly not the best Lecter/Lecktor. Over the years i have lost count of the number of times i have heard others say it.

And yes, even in Silence of the Lambs i found him to be hamming it up at times. I get why people love it, but after seeing the role being so masterfully underplayed by Cox it just makes Hopkins performance come off worse. Cox was truly terrifying as he projected a superior intelligence without artwork on walls, sniffing perfumes, or psycho-analysis. In SotL the character is almost on par with Freddy and Jason he is so on the nose as an almost supernatural villain. Cox in such a small amount of screen time came across as a real person who was charismatic, had a genius level intellect and who could kill you in the blink of an eye.
I have to agree with this. They interviewed Cox decades ago for a documentary about Manhunter (I think this was for the original Anchor Baby DVD) and he was asked how his portrayal of Hannibal was different than Hopkins. Cox basically said that Hopkins gave Hannibal Lecter "a presence of evil" whereas Cox thought that evil was "an absence of something"--like the Nazis that were tried in Nuremberg. And that "presence" vs "absence" is quite apparent in the two portrayals.
Old 11-24-20, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by devilshalo
Krasinski is a different approach to Jack Ryan. And Harrison made me forget that Baldwin was in the role. Pine and Affleck.. well....
I prefered Baldwin to Ford, and would have prefered to see him continue on, but Ford did a decent job. Affleck was servicable (story had potential but dragged too much) but Pine was just all kinds of wrong.
Old 11-24-20, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,035 Likes on 1,572 Posts

Fassbender as Magneto taking over for McKellen was one of the best parts of that wreck of a trilogy. But if you bring superhero movies into it, you get a bunch: Ruffalo, Gadot, etc.
John Pannozzi (11-24-20)