Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Ambulance (2022, D: Michael Bay) S: Jake Gyllenhaal, Yahya Abdul-Mateen II

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 11-13-20, 02:34 PM

Received 4,691 Likes on 3,179 Posts

EXCLUSIVE: After weighing several options, Michael Bay has set his next movie, coming on to direct the action thriller Ambulance with Jake Gyllenhaal in negotiations to star. Bay is fast-tracking the project and is talking to other actors to join Gyllenhaal with plans to shoot top of January. No distribution deal has closed yet, but sources say Universal Pictures is finalizing a deal to land distribution rights.

Chris Fedak penned the original script, which is based on the original Danish Film Ambulancen produced by Nordisk Film Productions. James Vanderbilt, Bradley Fischer and Will Sherak are producing. The logline is being kept under wraps, but insiders say the film is the vein of the great action thrillers of the ’90s like Speed and Bay’s Bad Boys. The script has been highly coveted for years but never able to lock down a director before Bay got his hands on it and instantly fell in love.

This production itself will already be quite the feat to undertake, but if there is anyone that can tackle the challenge it’s the veteran director who has made a career of taking on tough productions. Bay already has had a busy 2020 as a producer on the STX thriller Songbird, a pioneering film that became of the first productions to shoot during the COVID-19 pandemic. Directed by Adam Mason and starring K.J. Apa, the film shoot seemed impossible to get done as COVID cases began to rise in the United States, but Bay’s persistence as a producer to make sure they got it down while staying safe played a major role in setting the stage for other productions to get underway going forward.

Bay most recently directed the Netflix action pic 6 Underground, starring Ryan Reynolds, and also is developing the Sony pic Black 5. He is repped by WME and Range Media Partners.

Gyllenhaal also has stayed busy setting up his future slate, starting with thriller The Guilty, which reteams him with his Southpaw director Antoine Fuqua and currently is filming in Los Angeles.

He also recently signed on to star in the HBO series The Son with his Prisoners helmer Denis VIlleneuve directing. He also was nominated for a Tony Award for acting in the play Sea Wall/A Life and also was nominated for a Tony as a producer of Slave Play.

Gyllenhaal is repped by WME.
https://deadline.com/2020/11/michael...ce-1234611742/
Old 11-13-20, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,294 Likes on 2,114 Posts
re: Ambulance (2022, D: Michael Bay) S: Jake Gyllenhaal, Yahya Abdul-Mateen II

So this isnít a remake of the Eric Roberts movie?

I still have faith in Bay. Heís made a few duds over the last few years but I think heís got a few more fun movies left in him and Gyllenhaal is always great to see!

speaking of Eric Roberts, holy shit, that dude has worked non stop for the last few years. I just checked IMDB and he has over 230 acting credits over the last 5 years!
Old 12-11-20, 04:47 PM

Yahya Abdul-Mateen II to Join Jake Gyllenhaal in Michael Bay Thriller 'Ambulance' https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he..._medium=social
Old 02-24-21, 04:40 PM

Old 02-25-21, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 287 Likes on 238 Posts

That's nuts....someone could have been seriously hurt. I thought when explosions are part of a scene that the explosion gets set up and someone in a pretty remote location flicks the switch to execute the pyrotechnics, here you have folks who were almost turned into road kill when a cop car was tossed around due to the explosion/crash. Seriously, this clip should get Michael Bay a stern lecture on safety on the set of a film. Technically, it should get anyone who set up this scene possibly fired from the film crew and fined.
Old 02-25-21, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I donít know, thereís a couple stuntmen (the cops standing in the middle of the street at center screen) that look like they get plowed over by either the ambulance or the flipping car. I canít quite track where they go but it looks like they are caught in the middle of the crash.
Old 02-25-21, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 287 Likes on 238 Posts

Maybe it was literally part of the scene, that it looked like they were in danger but that was never really the case as the cops/actors/stunt folks knew where to jump out of the way ahead of time.. One can hope.
Old 02-25-21, 02:12 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Ah yes, the famous Bay scenes where one vehicle hits another and half a block goes up in flames. Can't say I missed it, cause I haven't.
Old 02-25-21, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,729 Likes on 1,075 Posts

Unless a story comes out that says otherwise, that just looked like a big stunt in a movie. Stunt people are paid to be around that stuff.

If people were hurt or the people in charge was not following the rules and found to be unsafe, that's one thing - but nothing there looked much different from any other big film.
Old 02-25-21, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I think it was all part of the plan except the last few seconds of that video. Iím pretty sure itís not planned for the ambulance to crash into the camera/camera cart.
Old 02-25-21, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,039 Likes on 823 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Bay
michaelbay

Filming my new movie. Iím the guy in black on the dolly. We do these controlled but dangerous looking shots. It takes a great crew to make these shots possible. Knowing the physics involved and catch cars. At the end, everyone was safe. This phone video makes it look scarier that it was in person.

Hah

Old 10-21-21, 10:21 AM

Re: Ambulance (2022, D: Michael Bay) S: Jake Gyllenhaal, Yahya Abdul-Mateen II

Ambulance
Only In Theaters February 18
https://www.Ambulance.movie

Over one day across the streets of L.A., three lives will change forever.

In this breakneck thriller from director-producer Michael Bay, decorated veteran Will Sharp (Emmy winner Yahya Abdul-Mateen II, Candyman, The Matrix Resurrections), desperate for money to cover his wife’s medical bills, asks for help from the one person he knows he shouldn’t—his adoptive brother Danny (Oscarģ nominee Jake Gyllenhaal, Zodiac, Spider-Man: Far From Home). A charismatic career criminal, Danny instead offers him a score: the biggest bank heist in Los Angeles history: $32 million. With his wife’s survival on the line, Will can’t say no.

But when their getaway goes spectacularly wrong, the desperate brothers hijack an ambulance with a wounded cop clinging to life and ace EMT Cam Thompson (Eiza GonzŠlez, Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw, Baby Driver) onboard. In a high-speed pursuit that never stops, Will and Danny must evade a massive, city-wide law enforcement response, keep their hostages alive, and somehow try not to kill each other, all while executing the most insane escape L.A. has ever seen.

Ambulance is produced by Michael Bay, p.g.a., Bradley J. Fischer, p.g.a. (Zodiac, Shutter Island) for New Republic Pictures, James Vanderbilt (Zodiac, 2022’s Scream) and William Sherak (Ready or Not, 2022’s Scream) for Project X, and Oscarģ nominee Ian Bryce (Transformers franchise, Saving Private Ryan).

The screenplay is by Chris Fedak (Prodigal Son, Chuck), based on the original story and screenplay for the 2005 Danish thriller Ambulancen by Laurits Munch-Petersen and Lars Andreas Pedersen.
Old 10-21-21, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,208 Likes on 928 Posts

Looks awful. I guess Bay wants to double down on 6 Underground.
Old 10-21-21, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

That doesnít look particularly good but Iím a fan of Gyllenhaal and Iím not ashamed the admit I still enjoy Bayís movies, despite their many flaws.

Iíll watch this.
Old 02-13-22, 08:16 PM

Old 02-13-22, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 437 Likes on 317 Posts

I think the release date on this moved to sometime in April.
Edit: It's April 8th
Old 03-24-22, 12:09 PM

Some reviews starting to come out: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/ambulance

New trailer:

Old 03-24-22, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,208 Likes on 928 Posts

I had no interest in this but then I watched a featurette about on the cinematography and how they used drones and drone pilot(s) for some crazy ass shots.

I'm interested.

The only thing is that Sonic 2 has all of the Dolby Cinema screens at my local AMC. Worst case I'll see it in IMAX. It can't be any worse than Deep 6 can it? Don't answer that.
Old 04-05-22, 09:43 AM

Opens this week.

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
I had no interest in this but then I watched a featurette about on the cinematography and how they used drones and drone pilot(s) for some crazy ass shots.
Yea, the stuff they shot on drones looks wild. All I can hope for is it delivers on peak-Bayness.
Old 04-06-22, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,728 Likes on 2,676 Posts

I'm seeing this Friday.

Doing a double feature. This in IMAX at 1:15pm and then Sonic 2 in Dolby at 4:30pm.
Old 04-07-22, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 89 Likes on 68 Posts

Local reviewer called it "Dumb as fuck but entertaining as fuck".
That's at least a step up from the godawful Transformers movies that were "dumb as fuck and boring as fuck".
Old 04-08-22, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 332 Likes on 248 Posts

I saw this last night. It was pretty bad, but I can't say it was boring - pretty much non-stop action after the first 10 minutes. I just couldn't deal with Bay's directing style in this one (tons of drone shots, quick cuts, shaky camera, and a weird habit of having sunshine beam from behind characters at all times). The script is pretty moronic and the dialogue is bad, but sadly not to the point of being "laughably bad." Most of the attempts at humor also fall flat, and Bay references his other films at least a handful of times.

Would probably make a good rental for when you just want to zone out and "check your brain at the door," but I wouldn't recommend anyone run out and see it.

Oh, and if you want to see Jake G. channel his inner Nic Cage, this is the movie for you.
The following users liked this post:
Dr. DVD (04-10-22)
Old 04-08-22, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,728 Likes on 2,676 Posts

Just got back from a double feature. I saw this in IMAX to escape the heat here in So. California.

I'm going to disagree with Shannon. I thought Ambulance was pretty entertaining. It's fast and non-stop action and I thought Yahya Abdul-Mateen was a good lead character and sympathetic. I'm a fan of Eiza Gonzalez and she was pretty good here. Gyllenhaal was a little over the top IMO.

It's not without it's faults though. There are some really forced attempts at humor. Like the therapy session and the Captain's giant dog. Maybe there was a few too many drone shots and quick cuts. And there was one cliched double cross scene. But overall, I thought it was quite engaging for the 135 minutes.

I think this is one of Bay's better films in the last 10+ years. Maybe slightly behind 13 hours, which I thought was excellent. 6 Underground, which he did for Netflix sucked. One thing I like about Bay as a filmmaker is that he gets down and dirty in the trenches shooting his movies.

I also read this filmed on a budget of $40M. That's pretty amazing considering what they accomplished here. Overall, I'd give this a B
Old 04-09-22, 06:50 PM

The action was top notch, even more so because it was done on location. It looked great.

Beyond that, I didn’t care much for it. It felt way too long.
Old 04-10-22, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 210 Likes on 162 Posts

Saw this yesterday and I think it's Bay's best movie in terms of blending an interesting story with his trademark "Bayhem". Basically, the action served to make the stuff entertaining instead of giving me a splitting headache for once.
The following users liked this post:
DJariya (04-10-22)

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.