Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Songbird -- S: KJ Apa, Sofia Carson, Bradley Whitford, Alexandra Daddario -- COVID-23 virus thriller

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Songbird -- S: KJ Apa, Sofia Carson, Bradley Whitford, Alexandra Daddario -- COVID-23 virus thriller

Old 10-30-20, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,738 Likes on 2,683 Posts

Four years into quarantine the virus has changed and so have we... In the terrifying thriller SONGBIRD, the COVID-23 virus has mutated and the world is in its fourth year of lockdown. Infected Americans are ripped from their homes and forced into quarantine camps known as Q-Zones, from which there is no escape, as a few brave souls fight back against the forces of oppression. Amid this dystopian landscape, a fearless courier, Nico (KJ Apa), who’s immune to the deadly pathogen, finds hope and love with Sara (Sofia Carson), though her lockdown prohibits them from physical contact. When Sara is believed to have become infected, Nico races desperately across the barren streets of Los Angeles in search of the only thing that can save her from imprisonment ... or worse. The first feature film to be made during COVID-19 in Los Angeles, and about the pandemic itself, SONGBIRD also stars Bradley Whitford and Demi Moore as a wealthy couple who may hold the key to Nico’s mission; Alexandra Daddario as a singer enmeshed in a messy and forbidden affair; Paul Walter Hauser as a disabled veteran whose best friend – a drone named Max – is his eyes and ears to a world that has left him behind; Craig Robinson as Nico’s boss; and Peter Stormare as the corrupt head of the city’s “sanitation” department, which seizes those infected and transports them to the Q-Zone. Genre:

Sci-Fi Thriller Cast: KJ Apa, Sofia Carson, Craig Robinson, Bradley Whitford, Peter Stormare, Alexandra Daddario, with Paul Walter Hauser and Demi Moore

Writers: Adam Mason & Simon Boyes Director: Adam Mason

Producers: Michael Bay, Marcei A. Brown, Jason Clark, Jeanette Volturno, Adam Goodman, Andrew Sugerman, Eben Davidson

Release: Coming Soon

No release date yet. This was shot during the pandemic.

Too soon for a feature film about a COVID virus that wipes out humanity and leaves people in isolation?

Last edited by DJariya; 10-30-20 at 04:36 PM.
Old 11-16-20, 01:19 PM

Received 4,693 Likes on 3,179 Posts
Re: Songbird -- S: KJ Apa, Sofia Carson, Bradley Whitford, Alexandra Daddario -- COVID-23 virus thriller

ErosSTX’s acquisition Songbird will be skipping theaters in exchange for a Premium VOD release starting Friday, December 11.

STX picked up the KJ Apa and Sofia Carson pandemic thriller produced by Invisible Narrativesback in August. The movie was one of the first to actually shoot in Los Angeles during the pandemic under newly created COVID-19 safety guidelines.

Songbird will now be available for $19.99 for a 48-hour rental on all transactional platforms. Following Songbird‘s nesting on PVOD, it will premiere on a major streaming service in 2021.
Old 12-09-20, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,053 Likes on 867 Posts
Re: Songbird -- S: KJ Apa, Sofia Carson, Bradley Whitford, Alexandra Daddario -- COVID-23 virus thriller

I just googled this movie, and the Wikipedia teaser said it was based on the “ongoing COVID-19 pandemic hoax.” The opening of the actual article didn’t use “hoax,” though, so that was probably cached content that someone reviewed.
Old 12-11-20, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk God

https://www.vudu.com/content/movies/...ngbird/1589695

This is officially out today for a $20 rental.

Considering how enthusiastic this thread seems to be for it and the enthusiasm shown in the PVOD thread, I look forward to all your reviews.

PVOD...it's the future of movies.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/songbird_2020

Currently 9% on Rotten Tomatoes.

Last edited by DJariya; 12-11-20 at 04:34 PM.
Old 12-11-20, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,310 Likes on 954 Posts

I would volunteer to be quarantined with Alexandra Daddario.
The following users liked this post:
Pointyskull (12-15-20)
Old 12-12-20, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 799 Likes on 567 Posts

Zero stars at Ebert's site.
Old 12-14-20, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 287 Likes on 238 Posts

I was at first interested in this film when I read about it on AV Club (mainly because I recognized several cast members from other stuff I enjoyed) but then their review came out and doh...it is basically Covid is fake news propaganda and that put a frown on my face. Even when it becomes free I might pass.
Old 12-14-20, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,039 Likes on 823 Posts

Originally Posted by Inhumans99
I was at first interested in this film when I read about it on AV Club (mainly because I recognized several cast members from other stuff I enjoyed) but then their review came out and doh...it is basically Covid is fake news propaganda and that put a frown on my face. Even when it becomes free I might pass.
How did you derive that from their review? They made it sound like a less interesting version of Death Stranding, with a bike courier.
Old 12-15-20, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 287 Likes on 238 Posts

Rich, I might have let a commenter under the review influence what I wrote as I just skimmed the review (a movie that gets a D review does not have me spending too much time reading the review). I still feel that this type of film was a missed opportunity as it was one of those films they listed on their slideshow link coming out in Dec that had me interested. It just sounds like a swing and a miss even if I did that typical internet thing of commenting on something I did not actually read all the way through. Now that I think about it, the commenter probably just said it sounds like the film is a propaganda piece and I just ran with it, notwithstanding that the commenter most likely did not read the review. So I mad a comment based off of a person who made a comment on something they most likely did not read.

A big fail on my part, lol. I am usually not that guy but sometimes I emulate the bad habits of other folks on the internet whether I realize it or not.
Old 12-15-20, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 799 Likes on 567 Posts

^tl;dr
Old 12-15-20, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,039 Likes on 823 Posts

It's no big deal and I do the same occasionally, I was more curious if my reading comprehension had deteriorated THAT much.
Old 01-25-21, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 231 Likes on 159 Posts

Just saw this and thought was pretty entertaining. The lead would actually be a pretty decent Terry McGinnis if a Batman Beyond film was to ever be made.

There's also a nice homage to
Spoiler:
John Wick

Old 04-06-21, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk God

I rented this on Red Box tonight. For me it actually wasn't bad. Yeah it's about a pandemic and was filmed during the current pandemic, but I found the overall story compelling and also left you feeling hope for the characters. It wasn't doom and gloom. The story surrounding Apa and Carson's characters had a very Romeo and Juliet feel. The DVD has a 43 minute documentary on the making of the movie and it was pretty interesting how they shot this with a bare bones crew and mostly using small cameras, including cell phone cameras. From what they said, this crew kind of set the standard for how current productions are shot with COVID protocols. They were actually reviewing dailies on cell phones and iPads using Frame IO software. Michael Bay was a producer on this movie and was actually present on set. They showed that he helped shoot some scenes and set up shots.