Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Insidious: The Red Door (2023, D: Patrick Wilson)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-20, 02:03 PM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

Patrick Wilson is stepping behind the camera for the first time to direct the next “Insidious” sequel.

A fifth film in the supernatural horror franchise is currently in the works, though a release date has not been set. The story picks up a decade after the events of 2018’s “Insidious: The Last Key” and sees the Lamberts’ son Dalton (Ty Simpkins) heading to college. Scott Teems wrote the script based on a story by franchise co-creator Leigh Whannell. Wilson, who has starred in all four films in the series, will also appear in the upcoming installment.

“I’m honored and thrilled to be at the helm of the next ‘Insidious’ installment, which will provide an amazing chance to unpack everything the Lamberts went through a decade ago, as well as deal with the consequences of their choices,” Wilson said in a statement. “Directing the movie is both professionally and personally a full circle moment for me, and I am extremely grateful to be entrusted in continuing to tell this frightening and haunting story. Into the further we go…”
Old 10-29-20, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts
re: Insidious: The Red Door (2023, D: Patrick Wilson)

Wow, that's shocking and quite cool! I'm in!
Old 10-29-20, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,211 Likes on 2,071 Posts

I liked the first two Insidious movies. I didn’t care for part 3 and I’m not sure I even saw part 4 but I’m down for part 5 with Wilson directing. That’s cool!
Old 10-29-20, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 827 Likes on 548 Posts

This is good news. I just watched all four for the horror challenge. 3&4 are pretty bad.
Old 10-29-20, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

I like Patrick Wilson a lot, but no. This series has petered out. Time to call it a day. The first one was great IMO. But the rest were either meh or terrible.
Old 10-29-20, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by Daytripper
I like Patrick Wilson a lot, but no. This series has petered out. Time to call it a day. The first one was great IMO. But the rest were either meh or terrible.

I disagree. This needs a proper conclusion. Chapter 2 needs a proper conclusion. It has two prequels, so that doesn't work if you're gonna call it a day. Also, this takes place 10 years after Chapter 2, so they might as well go for it and end it properly, IMO.
Old 10-30-20, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 827 Likes on 548 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
I disagree. This needs a proper conclusion. Chapter 2 needs a proper conclusion. It has two prequels, so that doesn't work if you're gonna call it a day. Also, this takes place 10 years after Chapter 2, so they might as well go for it and end it properly, IMO.
This exactly. I want a proper final conclusion to his family. This series should end on a high note. Not those shitty sequel/prequels.
Hope they find a way to get Lyn Shaye involved so she can be in all of them.
Old 02-04-22, 12:07 PM

Patrick Wilson confirms that Insidious 5 is on track to begin shooting this year. The Insidious franchise is the second major horror franchise created by director James Wan and writer Leigh Whannell, who previously collaborated on 2004's low-budget megahit Saw, which spawned a sprawling series that now includes nine feature films and two video games. Insidious, which came out in 2010 and featured a family being tormented by a demon from a sideways dimension known as The Further, was the pair's first collaboration with the horror-focused studio Blumhouse and became an instant success.

Insidious: Chapter 2 came out in 2013, following the continued terrorization of the same family, with Patrick Wilson and Rose Byrne reprising their roles as the parents and Ty Simpkins and Andrew Astor returning as their young sons. 2015's prequel, Insidious: Chapter 3, explored the origin story of Lin Shaye's medium Elise, and its 2018 follow-up, Insidious: The Last Key, saw her timeline meet up with that of the original film, seemingly completing the loop. In October 2020, Blumhouse announced that the story would be continuing with Insidious 5, which would be directed by Wilson, also reprising his role along with Ty Simpkins.

In an interview with Screen Rant's Ash Crossan while promoting Moonfall (in theaters February 4), Wilson shared an update on Insidious 5 development. When asked if the horror sequel was moving forward, Wilson said, "Yeah, we are" and mentioned filming starts shooting in the spring. Wilson also shared his thoughts on Insidious 5 being his directorial debut:

It's something that I'm super passionate about, and there hasn't been a day since they pitched me the idea that I haven't been all in. It's been a lot of work by Scott Teems, the writer, and me. And Leigh Whannell has helped out obviously a ton, and of course Blumhouse is a great partner. I've done a bunch of stuff with them, so I couldn't be happier to have my first experience with a very helpful and comfortable group of people that, for some reason, trust me. So, we'll see.

Although Wilson's Josh Lambert has appeared in some form in every Insidious film (he appears at a younger age, played by Garrett Ryan, in Insidious 3 and has a brief cameo in Insidious 4), this will mark the first time that the character has led a film in the franchise since Insidious 2. It is currently unknown if any of the other key performers are returning, including Byrne, Astor, Shaye, or Whannell and Angus Sampson, who play Elise's assistants Specs and Tucker. Scott Teems, who wrote Blumhouse's upcoming Firestarter remake, is penning the screenplay from a story by Whannell, who wrote all 4 previous scripts and directed Insidious 3, so his pulled-back involvement may imply that the duo are not returning.

Insidious 5 comes after a slightly longer gap than any of the previous sequels, though it is still close enough to the most recent entry to feel like the series is still an organic whole. However, despite Wilson and Simpkins' involvement, fans will be nervous to approach the film if it doesn't feature Shaye, who has been the anchor of the entire franchise since her appearance in the first film. That performance was as instantly memorable as Zelda Rubinstein's appearance as Tangina in Poltergeist, so she quickly became synonymous with the franchise, her role increasing with each entry.
https://screenrant.com/insidious-5-m...lson-comments/
Old 08-06-22, 08:29 AM

EXCLUSIVE: Screen Gems and Stage 6 Films are set to start production on Insidious 5, the latest installment in the hit horror series with Sinclair Daniel, Peter Dager, and Hiam Abbass joining returning cast members that include Patrick Wilson, Rose Byrne and Ty Simpkins. Wilson will direct the film, marking his directorial debut.

Set ten years after the end of Insidious 2, Josh Lambert (Patrick Wilson) heads east to drop his son Dalton (Ty Simpkins) off at an idyllic, ivy-covered university. However, Dalton’s college dream becomes a nightmare when the repressed demons of his past suddenly return to haunt them both.

Scott Teems penned the script based on a story by franchise co-creator Leigh Whannell and Teems, and based on characters created by Whannell. Jason Blum is producing the film for Blumhouse, along with franchise creators James Wan and Leigh Whannell. Oren Peli is also producing. Steven Schneider, Ryan Turek and Brian Kavanaugh Jones are executive producing.

Sony Pictures’ Screen Gems and Stage 6 Films will release the film in cinemas on July 7, 2023.
https://deadline.com/2022/08/insidio...898/?fs=e&s=cl
Old 04-18-23, 10:53 AM

Re: Insidious: The Red Door (2023, D: Patrick Wilson)

Trailer will premiere tomorrow (posted now, countdown going).

The family’s darkest secrets will be unlocked. 🔑 Type in the chat to go further into The Further. Insidious: The Red Door trailer coming tomorrow. #InsidiousMovie

In Insidious: The Red Door, the horror franchise’s original cast returns for the final chapter of the Lambert family’s terrifying saga. To put their demons to rest once and for all, Josh (Patrick Wilson) and a college-aged Dalton (Ty Simpkins) must go deeper into The Further than ever before, facing their family’s dark past and a host of new and more horrifying terrors that lurk behind the red door.

The original cast from Insidious is back with Patrick Wilson (also making his directorial debut), Ty Simpkins, Rose Byrne, and Andrew Astor. Also starring Sinclair Daniel and Hiam Abbass. Produced by Jason Blum, Oren Peli, James Wan and Leigh Whannell. The screenplay is written by Scott Teems from a story by Leigh Whannell, based on characters created by Leigh Whannell.

Insidious: The Red Door Opens July 7th.

Directed by: Patrick Wilson

Screenplay by: Scott Teems

Story by: Leigh Whannell

Based on characters created by: Leigh Whannell

Produced by:
Jason Blum
Oren Peli
James Wan
Leigh Whannell

Executive Producers:
Steven Schneider
Charles Layton
Ryan Turek
Brian Kavanaugh Jones

Cast:
Ty Simpkins
Patrick Wilson
Hiam Abbass
Sinclair Daniel
Andrew Astor
and Rose Byrne
Old 04-19-23, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Old 04-19-23, 01:20 PM

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,131 Posts

I've never seen a single Insidious or Conjuring movie, but given that Patrick Wilson plays a big role in both and James Wan directed some of both, and because I'm thinking abot it right now, I thought I'd share a fun fact that I learned: with its 8 movies, The Conjuring is the #2 R-rated movie franchise at the box office. That's pretty incredible! #1 is X-Men, and that's purely from Deadpool, Deadpool 2, and Logan. Alien is #6 and Terminator is #8 on the list, I couldn't believe it.
Old 04-20-23, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by story
I've never seen a single Insidious or Conjuring movie, but given that Patrick Wilson plays a big role in both and James Wan directed some of both, and because I'm thinking abot it right now, I thought I'd share a fun fact that I learned: with its 8 movies, The Conjuring is the #2 R-rated movie franchise at the box office. That's pretty incredible! #1 is X-Men, and that's purely from Deadpool, Deadpool 2, and Logan. Alien is #6 and Terminator is #8 on the list, I couldn't believe it.
"Insidious" was great and the only one worth seeing in it's series (so far). "The Conjuring" was really good but thought "The Conjuring 2" was far superior and even scarier. But all of it's sequels, prequels and spin-offs are either 'meh' or just plain terrible ("The Nun").
Old 06-06-23, 08:08 AM

Old 07-05-23, 08:20 AM

Out this week. I don't know why this has the release date it has.
Old 07-07-23, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk God

I just got back from this. The timing of this release makes no sense. This should have been an October release.

Anyway, it was average at best. Not even remotely scary. Lightweight horror. Dalton and Josh are basically 90% of the focus along with Dalton's new roommate. Rose Byrne is barely in it. Only in a few scenes.

The Insidious series was never my favorite horror series. Only a few of them were decent. This basically wrapped up the storyline with the Lambert family. It's not awful, but it's not something I recommend rushing out to see.

C+ from me.
The following users liked this post:
MysterioMan007 (07-09-23)
Old 07-08-23, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This franchise feels so tired. As I mentioned above, I loved the first film and it was the only one that was truly scary. But I have zero interest in this and might catch it when it's streaming for free one day.
Kurt D (07-08-23)
Old 07-08-23, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

I like Patrick Wilson, the series, and this was another pretty good installment. Really didn’t expect more after the Lin Shaye ending five years ago.

This is basically New Line’s current Elm Street. I figure you guys understand that. Next up we will get a meta behind the scenes reboot.
Old 07-08-23, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Location: Formerly known as L. Ron zyzzle - On a cloud of Judgement
Received 1,834 Likes on 1,229 Posts

Haven't seen it, but there's only so many times a pasty faced figure with heavy eyeshadow can suddenly rush out to the accompaniment of loud music, and it retains any pleasurable result.
Old 07-09-23, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

This wasn’t very good.
Old 07-09-23, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 178 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Anyway, it was average at best. Not even remotely scary. Lightweight horror. Dalton and Josh are basically 90% of the focus along with Dalton's new roommate. Rose Byrne is barely in it. Only in a few scenes.

The Insidious series was never my favorite horror series. Only a few of them were decent. This basically wrapped up the storyline with the Lambert family. It's not awful, but it's not something I recommend rushing out to see.

C+ from me.
I mostly agree with this. I did like the roommate, but wished that we could have had more focus on the whole family and not just Josh and Dalton. I don't know why we spent an hour and a half trying to unravel a mystery we already knew the answers to, but that's what they did. Specs and Tucker had only one scene and Rose Byrne is basically at the beginning and the end. I didn't hate it, but the original is still the best, imo, and I hated that one the first time I saw it because of the loud stupid string music. This one mostly seemed unnecessary.
Old 07-09-23, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk God

I'm willing to bet that Rose Byrne was working on Platonic for Apple when this went into production and had limited availability. They could have easily shot her scenes within a few days of work.
Old 07-10-23, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by Hazel Motes
This wasn’t very good.
Saw this last night and felt the same.

Patrick Wilson as a director is capable but he's working off Scott Teems' uninspired screenplay.

Considering this film's purpose is to give closure to the Lambert family, it feels tired, derivative and incredibly small in scale.

Originally Posted by MysterioMan007
I don't know why we spent an hour and a half trying to unravel a mystery we already knew the answers to, but that's what they did.
I was curious about this as well. Such a strange decision for a fifth installment.
Old 07-10-23, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 743 Likes on 368 Posts

Did the Lambert family not have closure at the end of Insidious 2?

And what happened with the cliffhanger at the end of that film with Elise's ghost and the two investigators (featuring a young Jenna Ortega) that was never followed up on?
Old 07-11-23, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by Obi-Wanma
Did the Lambert family not have closure at the end of Insidious 2?
Spoiler:
It's been a while since I re-watched the second film but didn't Carl have Josh and Dalton's memories suppressed?

This film is supposed to take place 9-years after the second film and works off the idea that suppressing the memories did very little to give the Lambert's closure.
DJariya (07-11-23)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.