Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Prom (2020, D: Murphy) S: Meryl Streep, James Corden, Nicole Kidman, Keegan-Michael Key

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Prom (2020, D: Murphy) S: Meryl Streep, James Corden, Nicole Kidman, Keegan-Michael Key

Old 10-23-20, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Trailer broke yesterday. Looks like a lot of fun and hopefully a good tonic to wash away the memory of the last musical with Corden. Count me in!

Old 10-24-20, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,729 Likes on 1,075 Posts
Re: The Prom (2020, D: Murphy) S: Meryl Streep, James Corden, Nicole Kidman, Keegan-Michael Key

We werenít able to see this the last time in was in NYC and I was really bummed about it. This looks like a blast - canít wait!
Old 10-25-20, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 210 Likes on 162 Posts
Re: The Prom (2020, D: Murphy) S: Meryl Streep, James Corden, Nicole Kidman, Keegan-Michael Key

Looks like an episode of Glee made for the big screen.
Old 10-25-20, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,391 Likes on 4,376 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Looks like an episode of Glee made for the big screen.
It really does.

I wonder how much the stars are featured and how much itís the unknown kids.
Old 10-25-20, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,729 Likes on 1,075 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
It really does.

I wonder how much the stars are featured and how much itís the unknown kids.
If itís like the musical itís about half and half.
Old 10-25-20, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,294 Likes on 2,114 Posts

So what are they, like magic prom fairies?

Based on the trailer it looks like Glee meets Footloose.
Old 10-25-20, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
So what are they, like magic prom fairies?

Based on the trailer it looks like Glee meets Footloose.
Old 11-21-20, 08:57 AM

Good lord, this closing number is awful.

Old 12-01-20, 02:51 PM

Received 4,691 Likes on 3,179 Posts

Reviews seem pretty good so far:
https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_prom_2020

The Prom follows Dee Dee Allen (three-time Academy Award winner Meryl Streep) and Barry Glickman (Tony Award winner James Corden) who are New York City stage stars with a crisis on their hands: their expensive new Broadway show is a major flop that has suddenly flatlined their careers. Meanwhile, in small-town Indiana, high school student Emma Nolan (newcomer Jo Ellen Pellman) is experiencing a very different kind of heartbreak: despite the support of the high school principal (Keegan-Michael Key), the head of the PTA (Kerry Washington) has banned her from attending the prom with her girlfriend, Alyssa (Ariana DeBose). When Dee Dee and Barry decide that Emma's predicament is the perfect cause to help resurrect their public images, they hit the road with Angie (Academy Award winner Nicole Kidman) and Trent (Andrew Rannells), another pair of cynical actors looking for a professional lift. But when their self-absorbed celebrity activism unexpectedly backfires, the foursome find their own lives upended as they rally to give Emma a night where she can truly celebrate who she is.

Directed by Ryan Murphy, The Prom is the spectacular, big-hearted film adaptation of the Tony-nominated Broadway musical. Screenplay by Bob Martin and Chad Beguelin.
Old 12-11-20, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 293 Likes on 213 Posts

I'm not a fan of most musicals. Especially the serious ones. The few that I have enjoyed were "Hairspray", "Mamma Mia!" (the show only, not the movie), "The Book of Mormon", "Young Frankenstein", etc. (are all of those considered jukebox musicals?). So I watched "The Prom" tonight because I love both Streep and Kidman. And both were great. The movie was also really fun. Not for everyone, I know. But if you're looking for something light and entertaining, check it out.
Old 12-11-20, 08:49 PM

I watched it this afternoon. I like musicals. Didn’t care for this one. I can see why it didn’t last long in Broadway. Speaking of... damn I miss going to shows. I usually see two or three this time of year.

Also, why does James Corden continue taking roles in movies?
Old 12-11-20, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,039 Likes on 823 Posts

I think the bigger question is why do people keep casting him
Old 12-11-20, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by RichC2
I think the bigger question is why do people keep casting him
That too. I’m actually surprised he didn’t get heat for this since he’s a straight man taking the role of a gay man. You know how the Twitter mob loves to get in on that. Maybe he did already? Or it’s forthcoming.

edit: quick Google search... already plenty of articles out there about it.
Old 12-11-20, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dex14
I watched it this afternoon. I like musicals. Didnít care for this one. I can see why it didnít last long in Broadway. Speaking of... damn I miss going to shows. I usually see two or three this time of year.
Where do you usually see shows? And which ones are your favorites? I live in D.C. and go to NYC a few times a year to see friends. Once in a while I take in a show while there. I've seen a few in London too when I was there.

Old 12-11-20, 09:36 PM

New York.

Seeing something in London must be cool. I’m debating subscribing to the National Theatre streaming service that recently launched. I’ve wanted to rewatch Yerma since seeing it a few years back when it came to NYC. They seem to be including it in there.
Old 12-11-20, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dex14
New York.

Seeing something in London must be cool. Iím debating subscribing to the National Theatre streaming service that recently launched. Iíve wanted to rewatch Yerma since seeing it a few years back when it came to NYC. They seem to be including it in there.
Yeah, I love seeing shows in London. My favorite was "Taboo" at the West End in 2002. The musical about Boy George and the 80's music scene. I went to London twice that year and I saw it both times while there. The first time Matt Lucas of "Little Britain" fame played Leigh Bowery. The second time, Boy George played him. Luke Evans was in the show both times as the main character. Kind of cool to see both him and Matt Lucas before they went on to become famous. Sadly, I saw the Broadway version too. Rosie O'Donnell was a huge fan of the original and financed the American production. But many many changes were made. It was a completely different version. Some songs and characters were cut. Some others added. And it just didn't work. The reviews were scathing, unlike the British production. And the show closed after 100 performance. The original British version continued to tour across England a few years later. Sorry to the others for derailing the topic briefly.