Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent (2022) - S: Nicolas Cage as Nicolas Cage

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent (2022) - S: Nicolas Cage as Nicolas Cage

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-20, 04:09 PM

Received 4,579 Likes on 3,099 Posts

Nicolas Cage has spent the past several years knocking out one low-budget yarn after another, making disposable thrillers or interesting oddities, sometimes in the same year. Other than some occasional voice work, the last major studio release starring the actor was 2011's Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance, based on the Marvel character.

But now Cage could be back (not that he ever went away) in a big way as he finds himself in the center of a hot deal for a project in which he would play one of the most iconic characters in Hollywood: Nicolas Cage himself.

Beating out several suitors such as HBO Max and Paramount, Lionsgate is in final negotiations to pick up The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent (can there be anything more Cage-like?), The Hollywood Reporter has learned. The meta movie project has a script by Tom Gormican and Kevin Etten, with Gormican attached to direct.

If the deals close, Cage would star as actor Nicolas Cage. The character is desperate to get a role in a new Quentin Tarantino movie while also dealing with a strained relationship with his teenage daughter. He also occasionally talks to an egotistical 1990s version of himself who rides him for making too many crappy movies and for not being a star anymore.

The Cage character is also under a mountain of debt and finds himself forced to make an appearance at the birthday party of a Mexican billionaire who happens to be a fan of the actor's work and secretly hopes to show him a script on which he's been working.

While he bonds with the man, Cage is informed by the CIA that the billionaire is actually a drug cartel kingpin who has kidnapped the daughter of a Mexican presidential nominee and Cage is subsequently recruited by the U.S. government to get intelligence. The situation spirals even more dramatically when the billionaire brings over Cage's daughter and his ex-wife for a reconciliation, and when their lives are on the line, Cage takes on the role of a lifetime.

The story is meta and includes nods to Cage works such as Leaving Las Vegas, Face-Off and Gone in 60 Seconds, while the script that Cage and the billionaire are writing begins to mirror events in the storyline. The project has tones reminiscent of Adaptation, which starred Cage; Jean-Claude Van Damme's meta movie JCVD; and the John Travolta Hollywood caper Get Shorty, among others.

Kevin Turen, who produced the just-released drama Waves and was an executive producer on HBO's Euphoria, would produce with Cage and his Saturn Films banner, along with Mike Nilon.

The fact that there is even a spirited interest in Unbearable Weight is part Hollywood dream factory concoction since the script wasn't even supposed to be seen by buyers. Gormican wrote and directed the little-seen rom-com That Awkward Moment, which starred Zac Efron, Michael B. Jordan and Miles Teller, and with Etten, created Ghosted, a comedy that ran for one season on Fox. The two were looking to shake things up in their careers and wrote Unbearable Weight as a sample script, hoping it would open additional doors. The script was sent around months ago, according to sources. Interest seemed to bubble up simultaneously when many began thinking that the script itself could be sellable and, mind blown, what if Cage himself did it?

According to sources, the script was shown to Cage along with a letter that Gormican wrote, pleading his case and saying how the piece was a love letter to the actor, not something that made fun of him. Cage was convinced and became attached in recent weeks.

The interest in the project was so high that sources say Cage is lining up to achieve a payday that would put him in the same range he was in when making such studio hits as Con Air and National Treasure.

Cage is repped by WME, Stride Management and attorney Patrick Knapp of Goodman Schenkman. Gormican is repped by WME, 3 Arts Entertainment and Michael Schenkman of Goodman Schenkman. Etten is repped by UTA and 3 Arts.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...talent-1254626

Since we’re loving talking about Cage so much in the Spidey thread...
This project sounds interesting enough to get on people’s radar now.
Old 10-02-20, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 215 Likes on 190 Posts
re: The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent (2022) - S: Nicolas Cage as Nicolas Cage

My only gripe with these "Meta" films is when they invent family members or movies you know they didn't star in.
Old 10-02-20, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,200 Likes on 2,065 Posts
re: The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent (2022) - S: Nicolas Cage as Nicolas Cage

I will watch the shit out of this!

Despite Cage’s questionable choices over the last 10 or 15 years, I’ll always be a fan of his for his great run in the 90s.
Old 07-01-21, 02:44 PM

Re: The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent (2022) - S: Nicolas Cage as Nicolas Cage

Nicolas Cage‘s upcoming action-comedy satire The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent, in which he plays a version of himself, will hit theaters April 22, 2022, Lionsgate announced Wednesday.

Pedro Pascal, Sharon Horgan, Alessandra Mastronardi, Jacob Scipio and Lily Sheen also star in the movie, alongside Neil Patrick Harris and Tiffany Haddish.

Directed by Tom Gormican, the film stars Cage as a fictionalized version of himself. In this instance, the character is unfulfilled creatively and facing financial ruin.

Consequently, the actor must accept a $1 million offer to attend the birthday of a dangerous superfan, but things take a wildly unexpected turn when the actor is recruited by a CIA and forced to live up to his own legend, channeling his most iconic and beloved onscreen characters in order to save himself and his loved ones. With a career built for this very moment, the seminal award-winning actor must take on the role of a lifetime: Nic Cage.

Lionsgate beat out other suitors in picking up the project. Gormican directed from a script he wrote with Kevin Etten.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/mo...22-1234976192/
Old 12-14-21, 10:05 AM

Re: The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent (2022) - S: Nicolas Cage as Nicolas Cage

In the comedy-thriller The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent (out April 22) Nicolas Cage plays "Nick Cage." So what exactly does that mean?

"['Nick Cage'] is an invented version of Nic Cage," says the Oscar winner, 58. "The character is feeling unfulfilled and contending with the rejection that can happen so often in the small town that is Hollywood. It's not me. I'm feeling pretty good about things."

The film's Nick Cage accepts a million dollars to attend the birthday party of a crime boss and Cage superfan named Javi (Pedro Pascal). "Javi has a wax statue of Nick and you think, 'Oh, it might be awkward between a film star and a fan,'" says Cage. "But they're both cinephiles, so they're having wonderful conversations about The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari and Paddington 2."

The cast also includes Neil Patrick Harris playing Cage's agent; Sharon Horgan and newcomer Lily Sheen as the actor's ex-wife and daughter, respectively; and Tiffany Haddish as a CIA agent. "Tiffany factors into the story once Nic has gotten to Mallorca, where the birthday party takes place," explains director and co-writer Tom Gormican. "She ropes Nick into a CIA operation and the plot [proceeds] from there."

As he did in 2002's Adaptation, the real Cage pulls double duty, playing both "Nick" and "Nicky," a younger, Wild at Heart-era version of the actor and figment of his imagination. "He's got the lanky long hair; he's just constantly riding Nick about his career choices," says Cage. "I wasn't too excited about the idea of playing myself, but when Tom sent me this script, Nicky reminded me a little of Jerry Lewis' Buddy Love in The Nutty Professor. I always admired what he did with that movie. For me, Nicky steals the show."
https://ew.com/movies/nic-cage-the-u...nt-first-look/
Old 12-14-21, 10:06 AM

The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent – In Theaters April 22, 2022. Nicolas Cage, Pedro Pascal, Sharon Horgan, Ike Barinholtz, Alessandra Mastronardi, Jacob Scipio, Lily Sheen, with Neil Patrick Harris, and Tiffany Haddish
Old 12-14-21, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,200 Likes on 2,065 Posts

This could still very well be terrible but the trailer made me laugh. I’m glad to see he’s able to poke fun at himself and his money troubles.
Old 12-14-21, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 729 Likes on 532 Posts

Taking the JCVD premise and amplifying it to 11. Looks like fun!
Old 02-14-22, 09:09 AM

Old 02-14-22, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Funny seeing Ike and Haddish together in another current project (Lord/Miller's The Afterparty). And I see it done by a prominent writer on Workaholics.

I think I'll enjoy this.
Old 02-14-22, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

This looks great! It's not jaw dropping to see something like this. Louie and Maron were shows that fictionalized their real lives. This looks to be the Nic Cage version.

Excited enough that I'll probably watch in theaters or drop a full VOD price if it's there.
Old 03-09-22, 10:12 AM

Red Band trailer:

Old 03-09-22, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

They showed the trailer in front of The Batman and it looked great. It also got a great reaction from the crowd. It also reminds me of the JCVD series that was on PRIME a couple of years ago - that same comedic self-aware tone.
The following users liked this post:
Deftones (03-15-22)
Old 03-09-22, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 220 Likes on 176 Posts

Looks good to me. I suppose I'll have to watch all of his previous movies to try to catch any references. Should only take a week or two of non-stop viewing.
Old 03-09-22, 11:24 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
They showed the trailer in front of The Batman and it looked great. It also got a great reaction from the crowd. It also reminds me of the JCVD series that was on PRIME a couple of years ago - that same comedic self-aware tone.
Jean-Claude Van Johnson was a spectacular and fun show. I really wish it went a few seasons. This looks like it could deliver the same great satire Van Johnson did. Hopefully some lampooning of some of his 90’s classics.
Why So Blu? (03-09-22)
Old 03-09-22, 11:26 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 911 Likes on 771 Posts

that looked so good. sardonic, irreverent, satirical, over-the-top. everything a Nic Cage movie has been for some time and this is just the perfect vehicle for Nic Cage.
Old 03-14-22, 08:56 AM

Reviews from SXSW: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the...massive_talent
GoldenJCJ (03-14-22)
Old 03-14-22, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 799 Likes on 567 Posts

Love the title that spoofs all those unbearably twee, pretentious titles.
Old 03-15-22, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 392 Likes on 280 Posts

Just saw that Cage's daughter is played by Kate Beckinsale's actual daughter.
Old 03-15-22, 11:13 AM

Received 91 Likes on 62 Posts

Old 03-15-22, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by Norm de Plume
Love the title that spoofs all those unbearably twee, pretentious titles.
It seems like it’s spoofing a pretty specific one.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Un..._of_Being#Film
Old 03-15-22, 05:37 PM

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

This looks like a fun time.
Old 03-15-22, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts

OK, this looks good. NPH as the agent is he cherry on top.
Old 03-16-22, 02:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

Using Happy Together by the Turtles in the film I see. Gonna be hard to top the last Nic Cage film to use it.

This looks good though. I heard about it awhile ago and assumed it would not only be in the style of JCVD but have roughly the same budget. But this looks like a major Hollywood comedy. That makes me happy since they don’t really make them anymore. Im excited.
Old 03-22-22, 01:14 PM

A good piece on Cage at GQ:

CyberpunkCentra (03-22-22)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.