Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Happy Death Day To Us (maybe... someday...) -- news, rumors, etc.

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 09-14-20, 11:12 AM

Received 4,693 Likes on 3,179 Posts

Not happening anytime soon, if ever... but, maybe someday it will...

Few slasher films have been as inventive or downright enjoyable in recent years as Happy Death Day and its brilliantly-named sequel Happy Death Day 2U – the first a killer take on the Groundhog Day time-loop premise, and the second cranking things up with a time-travelling Back To The Future Part II-style twist. But while the final scene of HDD 2U set up a tantalising threequel, the third film in the Blumhouse series is yet to materialise. For now, writer-director Christopher Landon has moved on to similarly high-concept body-swap horror Freaky – watch the brilliant trailer here, and read Empire’s trailer breakdown interview with Landon here – but the filmmaker still holds out hope that Happy Death Day 3 might one day happen, if not right now.

“It's definitely off to the side at the moment,” he says. “I wish it wasn't, and I know that [Jason Blum, producer] is passionate about it, I know I'm very passionate about it, and I know that [Jessica Rothe] is really eager to do it as well. I wrote the idea for the third movie some time ago. I think we're all excited by it, because it's different than the other two films, and so we're really just crossing our fingers and hoping that our fanbase continues to grow – which is something that I've really enjoyed watching over the years, seeing more and more people discover both films. So who knows. There might be a time when it makes sense, and hopefully it's sooner rather than later.”

Whether or not the third film comes is still up in the air for now – but Landon is happy to wait for it, not facing the same time-sensitive pressures of the second film. “The idea for the third film is not set in the same day, if that's a big spoiler. So it can happen later,” he says. “We're not up against a really difficult clock right now. The other movies were hard, because they were set in the exact same day, so everybody had to look the same, be the same. The pressure is off there.”

As well as confirming that it’s set on a different day to the previous two films, Landon also teased a little bit more about the Happy Death Day threequel. “I guess I can give you the title without pissing everybody off,” he said. “It does not have the '3' in there! But it's called Happy Death Day To Us. That is the working title.” Hopefully, someday, we'll get the film that goes with it.
https://www.empireonline.com/movies/...ate-exclusive/

Last edited by dex14; 09-14-20 at 12:23 PM.
Old 09-14-20, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 287 Likes on 238 Posts
Re: Happy Death Day To Us (maybe... someday...) -- news, rumors, etc.

Interesting, I would be down for a third film with most of the surviving cast intact. I actually really enjoyed the 2nd film even though it was not a minor hit like the first film. I always felt that the sequel would have a chance to grow on fans when it hit streaming/home video/cable and this seems to confirm that there are indeed plenty of fans who would enjoy a third and final film in the series.

The big draw for me is that even though these are technically slasher films there is very little blood and well, slashiness going on in the films which I appreciated...not a gore/horror fan but the sci fi elements of these films got me to latch onto them.
Old 09-14-20, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,039 Likes on 823 Posts

I'd be down. Do it for Hulu if they have to.
Old 09-15-20, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 372 Likes on 309 Posts

The first two films were a whole lot of fun.

I'd definitely be up for a third film if it ever came to light.
The following users liked this post:
Trevor (01-17-22)
Old 09-15-20, 09:08 PM

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

They were a surprisingly great combo of films. I’d love to see a third one happen.
Old 09-15-20, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

First one was great. But if I'm remembering correctly, the second one was just so-so.
So hype for the third is pretty non-existent at this point.
Old 10-04-20, 05:21 AM

Even though it once seemed like a borderline impossibility, Happy Death Day 3 now has new life. Producer Jason Blum has revealed that he has every intention to make the planned third movie in the time-bending slasher trilogy. What's more, the recent trend of premium VOD releases may be the thing that gets it done.

Blumhouse Productions head Jason Blum is currently promoting the release of Welcome to the Blumhouse, a series of four movies produced by the studio that are heading to Amazon Prime Video this Halloween season. During a recent interview, Blum was asked about the status of Happy Death Day 3. He explained that director Christopher Landon still wants to do it and that they may give it a go following the release of his new movie Freaky. Here's what Blum had to say about it.

"It's a trilogy. I've got to make the third one. Maybe after Freaky we'll figure it out. Both of us really want to do it. So hopefully we'll figure it out."

Happy Death Day 2U unfortunately didn't perform as well as the first movie. As such, it seemed like a continuation of the franchise was out of the question. However, in recent months, with theaters being shut down for much of the year, PVOD has taken hold. Essentially, studios release new or recent movies to rent from home for a premium price, usually around $20. Jason Blum feels this model would suit Happy Death Day 3.

"That's a perfect [premium video-on-demand] movie. Universal has this agreement, 17 days in the theater. The same as Freaky, 17 days in a theater and then [it] goes to PVOD. We should make Happy Death Day 3 for that system. I mean, if that movie isn't right for it, I don't know what is. So that's what it would be."

Blumhouse has already had several titles, such as The Invisible Man and You Should Have Left capitalize on the PVOD model. In this case, it seems there would be some combination of a traditional theatrical release and online rentals. Bill & Ted Face the Music recently made quite a bit of money that way. Speaking further, Jason Blum said he anticipates more Blumhouse releases to follow this model in the future.

"I think most of my movies going forward will work very well in that system--will work very well with a shortened theatrical window, then going straight to premium VOD. I think that that system will be very good for Blumhouse."

Christopher Landon recently revealed that the third movie would be titled Happy Death Day to Us. He also explained that it wouldn't be taking place on the same day like the previous two movies. So Jessica Rothe's Tree might get a bit of a break from dying over and over again. A post-credits scene in the sequel made it seem Danielle would be the one reliving the same day next time around. We'll be sure to keep you posted as further details are made available. This news comes to us via GameSpot.

https://movieweb.com/happy-death-day...vod-blumhouse/
Old 10-04-20, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,310 Likes on 954 Posts

I don't know about PVOD. It better have amazing word-of-mouth. Or price it at $10. And the possible lack of Jessica won't help.
Old 06-06-21, 01:55 PM

Here's hoping...
Old 01-17-22, 09:37 AM

Old 01-17-22, 11:16 AM

Received 287 Likes on 238 Posts

I know Tom's reply is from 2020, but I have a feeling that we absolutely will find Jessica Rothe playing a major role if the third film comes out later this year, or in early 2023. Not having Jessica Rothe in most of the third film would just tamp down any interest that I, and I would imagine, most other fans of this series would have in watching.
Old 01-17-22, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,208 Likes on 928 Posts

I hope so. Without Rothe I don't care. I know her profile just went up in recent weeks since she has replaced Samara Weaving in something semi-high profile.
Old 01-18-22, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,310 Likes on 954 Posts

I recently watched the first one and it was still very enjoyable.