Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

One Night in Miami (2020, D: Regina King) S: L. Odom Jr., A. Hodge, K. Ben-Adir, E. Goree

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

One Night in Miami (2020, D: Regina King) S: L. Odom Jr., A. Hodge, K. Ben-Adir, E. Goree

Old 09-12-20, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,391 Likes on 4,376 Posts

A movie getting a lot of attention from critics at film festivals like Venice and TIFF right now is the play adaption that is the directorial debut from Oscar Winner and HBO's The Watchmen star Regina King. The film tells a fictionalized story of Cassius Clay, Malcolm X, Jim Brown, and Sam Cooke as the group celebrate Clay's surprise title win over Sonny Liston in a Miami hotel room in February 1964. Amazon Studios has acquired the worldwide distribution rights for the film.

Anyone who has watched Hulu's High Fidelity or HBO Max's Love Life will recognize Kingley Ben-Adir as a charismatic rising star. Looking forward to see him here as Malcolm X.

If this movie continues to be so well received as what I have been reading, Regina King could end up being the first African-American woman nominated for a Best Director Oscar, which would be a very impressive achievement for a directorial debut.

Some very enthusiastic reviews :

https://variety.com/2020/film/awards...rs-1234761177/

https://ew.com/movies/movie-reviews/...w-regina-king/

https://www.usatoday.com/story/enter...ed/5763496002/

https://thefilmstage.com/tiff-review...ert-precision/

https://collider.com/one-night-in-mi...w-regina-king/
Old 10-18-20, 11:50 AM

Received 4,691 Likes on 3,179 Posts
Re: One Night in Miami (2020, D: Regina King) S: L. Odom Jr., A. Hodge, K. Ben-Adir, E. Goree

I saw this today via a virtual film fest. It is an impressive directorial debut. Great performances and fantastic script.

It is supposed to hit Prime on January 15th.

Last edited by dex14; 01-14-21 at 11:56 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Hubbub (01-16-21)
Old 11-18-20, 01:09 PM

Re: One Night in Miami (2020, D: Regina King) S: L. Odom Jr., A. Hodge, K. Ben-Adir, E. Goree

Old 01-14-21, 11:56 AM

This should likely be up on Prime at 8pm eastern tonight.
Old 01-16-21, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 492 Likes on 324 Posts

Deserves all the early praise. I was riveted during the entire film.

I wonder if because of the isolation of the past year, more then ever I appreciate seeing people getting together and talking. Speaking to one another with passion, and eloquence, and knowledge, and humour. Listening to these men challenge one another verbally is as captivating as any movie thriller plot.

Pretty sure this is one I'll watch again.
The following 2 users liked this post by Crocker Jarmen:
Bandoman (02-04-21), Hubbub (01-16-21)
Old 01-16-21, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 762 Likes on 493 Posts

I couldn't help but think of the discussion in the thread about Ma Rainey's Black Bottom while watching this. Both are movie adaptations of theater pieces that are very limited in settings and very self-contained, yet this didn't feel stagey to me. Regina King opened things up nicely, and while the movie certainly had its dramatic moments, it felt real, both the dialogue and performances.

And credit to the actors for living in these characters quite well rather than going for straight imitation. That's not to say they didn't sound like their real life counterparts, but it felt natural rather than calling attention to itself.

I hate to go back again to Ma Rainey, but this feeling was more what I expected from that film. I want to say someone in that thread made it sound like some of us may not like plays as source material and all that dialogue. That's not it at all. This is a good example of a filmmaker more fully translating a play into cinematic language rather than just putting a play on film. I really enjoyed it.
Old 01-16-21, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 492 Likes on 324 Posts

I feel like the difference between this and Ma Rainey's Black Bottom in that the dialogue in One Night In Miami is very natural and the dialogue in Ma Rainey is much more stylized. I don't want to say one is better than the other, but there is a clear difference.

I loved the Sam Cooke concert sequence. It would have made a great self-contained short film on it's own. To get into the dreaded comparison to Ma Rainey, Levee's story about being knifed by the men who raped his mother could have been depicted the same way as Malcolm X's story in Miami, but for whatever reason the film makers decided not to depict it visually, but make the scene about him telling the story instead of story itself. I can't say one approach is better than the other, they're are just different.

This was a fantastic viewing experience. As much as I hope others will watch it, I'm worried about the fact that movies and TV shows are now exclusive to certain platforms. The only reason I got to see Miami is because my roommate has a Prime account. It's not like in the old days when even if a movie didn't come to my small town theatre I could rent it on video a few months later. People can't afford to subscribe to every Netflix/Disney/Apple/Amazon/whatever else comes out next. I'm worried that at-home streaming is going to make movies more inaccessible than they were 10 years ago.
Old 01-17-21, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 762 Likes on 493 Posts

And I would argue it has less to do with the dialogue itself and more how it was directed and performed. The scene you described is a good example. I felt Boseman was too theatrical. It felt like he was playing to the back of the room.
Old 02-01-21, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,004 Likes on 723 Posts

This film was fantastic from start to finish. Surprised to see so few comments here.
Old 02-01-21, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

Really enjoyed this
Old 02-02-21, 07:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

I enjoyed this as well. I did think that there were a few times that the dialogue felt more like a political roundtable than real conversation, a bit stage-y. (And yes, it was adapted from a play.) But the performances were quite good.
Old 02-06-21, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,294 Likes on 2,114 Posts

What a truly wonderful film! Yes, it felt “stagey” from time to time but the dialogue and performances were so great I didn’t mind.

This was the best ensemble cast I think I’ve seen in the last 10 or 15 years, maybe more. All four actors gave top notch performances that both encapsulated the real life people they were portraying and allowed them to breathe a different life into them. They all seemed like such likable characters. I was happy to be holed up in a motel with them for 2 hours.