Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Movies you liked even more the second time around?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 09-11-20, 09:22 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 248 Likes on 217 Posts

so there are movies you see, liked a lot, perhaps, saw it a second time and liked or even loved it even more. could be the first time was ok, maybe the experience hampered total enjoyment. Then you saw it again or again and liked it even more. maybe you caught things you didn't notice the first time and that made it even more enjoyable. many reasons...

This happened twice for me this week:
Prometheus
Moana

Prometheus...as i mentioned in another thread, it was like i was watching it for the first time even though, i remembered liking the first time, but it was so long ago. revisiting it, just blew me away and saw things that i didn't remember at all and was truly terrified and on the edge of my seat throughout.

Moana...loved it the first time. loved it even more the second time. found it so infectious, so gorgeous and the songs really memorable. just a thrilling animated trip.

Iron Man...saw it when it first came out in a shitty theater, with shitty people in attendance who were not quiet. i definitely liked the movie, but seeing it on my own, at home, loved it even more and one of my fav Marvel movies to this day.

So, what movies did you like, maybe loved the first time seeing, but liked it even more on second viewing?
Old 09-11-20, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 224 Likes on 166 Posts
Re: Movies you liked even more the second time around?

Bing!
The following users liked this post:
Jay G. (09-26-20)
Old 09-11-20, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Do different cuts count? Because if so, Kingdom of Heaven for me. Saw theatrical first and thought it was ok, later watched the DC and itís one of my favorite movies of all time.
Old 09-12-20, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 522 Likes on 378 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxflier View Post
Do different cuts count? Because if so, Kingdom of Heaven for me. Saw theatrical first and thought it was ok, later watched the DC and itís one of my favorite movies of all time.
I had the exact same experience.
Old 09-12-20, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 270 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxflier View Post
That DC is a huge upgrade.

Old 09-12-20, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts

When I saw Boogie Nights at the theatre I was very underwhelmed, thought it had some good acting, but was otherwise pointless. The next year I saw it again on VHS and picked up on so much more about the themes of family between all the characters and loved it. Have seen and admired it many times since. It was even the first DVD I bought a couple months before I actually got a DVD player.

Disliked The Big Lebowski the first time I saw it, I thought it was just stupid. I enjoy it quite a bit now (even though it is far from my favourite Coen Brothers movie).
Jay G. (09-26-20)
Old 09-12-20, 02:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 118 Likes on 79 Posts

Wasnít very fond of Kill Bill 1 & 2 when I first saw it years ago. Watched it a couple of days ago and thought it was good. Not Tarantinoís best but I appreciate what he was doing.
Old 09-12-20, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts

The Greatest Showman

It was such an upbeat, delightful surprise when I saw in theaters in December of 2017. I enjoyed even more the second time. Then 2018 came and really kicked my ass that year. I watched in theaters 10 more times to boost my mood during that difficult period of my life--and it did.
The following 2 users liked this post by PatD:
story (09-12-20), tanman (09-14-20)
Old 09-12-20, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 68 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen View Post
Disliked The Big Lebowski the first time I saw it, I thought it was just stupid. I enjoy it quite a bit now (even though it is far from my favourite Coen Brothers movie).
I shut it off about 20 minutes in the first time. Gave it a second chance a couple of years later and loved it and still do. You just have to be in the right mindset the first time you watch it I guess. While obviously not as good of a movie, I had a similar reaction to Super Troopers.
Old 09-12-20, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts

Last one I remember was Very Bad Things.
Old 09-12-20, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 319 Likes on 240 Posts

Iíve mentioned before my experience with Rogue One: A Star Wars Story.

I liked it okay in the theatre the first time but watching over and over, I cannot express the depths of my love for this film.
Paul_SD (09-13-20)
Old 09-12-20, 11:23 PM

Received 137 Likes on 102 Posts

I find that almost every movie I now consider a favorite I liked better upon rewatch. It's part of why they became favorites.
Old 09-13-20, 03:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 384 Likes on 297 Posts

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is one for me. On my first watch I thought it was a slow moving bore.

Rewatching it though while it is still a slow moving film thereís a lot more going on with it. The crew finding their places back aboard the Enterprise after years away. Not just with their positions on the ship but their relationships with each other.

Also the whole film is really about the most Star Trek concept that you can get. It literally is the crew seeking to find out what Víger is and to understand it. Also I canít say enough how much I enjoy Jerry Goldsmithís score as well as some standout scenes
The following 2 users liked this post by Mike86:
milo bloom (09-13-20), mspmms (09-14-20)
Old 09-13-20, 05:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

10 - saw it at the theater when I was 12/13 and it had already captured the zeitgeist of the moment. At that age, the sexual comedy aspect of it was easy enough to understand and "get" on a surface level. In my forties, and now fifties, that the film transcends that obvious schtick and comes across in a far more profound and wistful way that I could ever realize as a (horny) kid. It's become a favorite film now.

The Stunt Man - Just watched this again last week after a decade or so.There were aspects to it I always enjoyed (Frontiere's catchy theme, O'Toole's performance), but I think this last viewing was the first time it all clicked in unison.In the past I think I got hung up on the film presenting this notion that an action film would be shot in these ridiculously long, unbroken takes involving the orchestration of dozens of complex elements. I finally realized the whole thing was an ode to artifice and NONE of it was meant to be taken literally.
I'm slow sometimes.

2001 - I like it a little more with each viewing, but I'm still not sure it's fully clicked with me yet.

Last edited by Paul_SD; 09-13-20 at 10:05 PM.
Old 09-13-20, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 116 Likes on 85 Posts

A Clockwork Orange
2001: A Space Odyssey
Dr Strangelove
Eyes Wide Shut
Old 09-13-20, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 207 Likes on 171 Posts

The OP can verify, but I don't believe the topic is "movies you didn't like at first but grew to appreciate", as there's already at least one thread dedicated to that. Instead it's movies you already liked, but liked MORE on subsequent viewings.

Boogie Nights was already mentioned, although I liked it the first time through. But more with subsequent viewings, upon noticing the "family" concept that was cited. Additionally, it was the scene early on where Eddie says "I'm gonna be a bright shining star", with the camera directed at his eyes. Then the final line of the film, "I AM a bright shining star", but framed in such a way that his head is not even in the shot, but his....um.....Diggler is.

A couple of others I loved the first time through, but more once I knew the ending were The Wicker Man ('73) and Audition. I'll avoid spoilers, but because I'm talking about the ending there's a possibility of spoiling so read at your own risk. With The Wicker Man, it's the fact that everything that happens in the first 75 minutes of the movie is to achieve the finale. And thus even the pub songs take on a drastically different tone. With Audition, it's realizing who the hunter is, and who the prey is. Which is a different feeling than what you get the first time.
OldBoy (09-13-20)
Old 09-13-20, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 522 Likes on 378 Posts

I guess it goes without saying that some of my favorite movies Iíve grown to love on subsequent viewings. The first few that popped into my head:

True Romance
Out of Sight
The Godfather

I thought they were all really good the first time I saw them but ended up loving them on the second viewing.
Old 09-13-20, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 165 Likes on 125 Posts

I'd put any Kubrick movie in this category. I can't think of one that didn't get better with a repeat viewing.

I would also put The Usual Suspects in there. I remember watching it for the first time way back on VHS. I was largely bored for much of the film, but once the ending started to reveal itself, everything clicked for me. It made me reevaluate the movie, and I loved it so much more with subsequent viewings.

Batman Begins is another. I liked it OK the first time, but I guess I was expecting something different and thought more Scarecrow was needed. I actually stand by some of my criticisms, but I appreciate the movie much more now on its own terms.

Last edited by clckworang; 09-14-20 at 01:09 AM.
Old 09-13-20, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Paff View Post
The OP can verify, but I don't believe the topic is "movies you didn't like at first but grew to appreciate", as there's already at least one thread dedicated to that. Instead it's movies you already liked, but liked MORE on subsequent viewings.
Guilty (of just skimming the OP).

Previous post edited to comply.
Old 09-13-20, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Rogue One

Watched it in a late show on premiere night and was half asleep. I did not like it at all and thought it was a meh attempt to make dough with Star Wars. I bought the 3D Blu Ray and began to enjoy the movie a little more. Now I watch it often and I can say one of my favorite Star Wars characters is Admiral Reddus. His pose and determination to go to war while the other leaders were standing by was a refreshing moment. He embodies what a real leader of a Rebel Alliance would do against all odds. Now it is one of my favorite movies along with one of my favorite characters in the Star Wars universe.
milo bloom (09-14-20)
Old 09-15-20, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 141 Likes on 120 Posts

The Witch (2015)
Old 09-17-20, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 78 Likes on 70 Posts

Fright Night (The Remake) I hadn't seen this since it first hit DVD but I had a month of Netflix and I decided to re-visit some films. Being a big fan of the original I hadn't expected much but I did enjoy it. Still, I never bought it and hadn't thought about it. Re-visiting it, I was surprised how much I enjoyed it this time.

Seabiscuit I saw this in the theater originally and thought it was OK. Again, I got an itch to re-visit it and I really got swept up in the whole thing, -the excellent cast, Randy Newman's lush score, and the whole "Americana" of it all.
Old 09-17-20, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 371 Likes on 270 Posts

Jaws

Solid movie that's always been great, but it was just a movie I liked and appreciated. I have owned it on VHS, DVD, BD and now 4k. I'd watch it every handful of years and enjoy it but things have changed the past few years. I'd say it crept up into my top 10. I'd even say probably top 5 in the last couple years. I watch it 1-2 times a year now. It just seems to get better every time I watch it.
Old 09-17-20, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 152 Likes on 136 Posts

In 2009 I thought it was just another average Fri or Sat comedy rental but watched it on HBO again and loved it.

Old 09-17-20, 11:14 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I saw Die Hard in the theaters, but when I saw it again on Christmas I liked it much more. It's one of my favorite movies and I have seen it in full maybe 10 times now

Groundhog Day is a movie I really enjoyed when I first saw but I liked it more and more each time I see it and I just cherish that movie.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.