Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

New Mutants (2020, D: Boone) -- S: Williams, Taylor-Joy, Braga -- The Spoiler filled reviews thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: What did you think of New Mutants?
5 stars
0%
4 1/2 stars
0%
4 stars
11.11%
3 1/2 stars
11.11%
3 stars
11.11%
2 1/2 stars
27.78%
2 stars
22.22%
1 1/2 stars
5.56%
1 star
11.11%
0 stars
0%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

New Mutants (2020, D: Boone) -- S: Williams, Taylor-Joy, Braga -- The Spoiler filled reviews thread

Old 08-25-20, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,741 Likes on 2,684 Posts

Synopsis:

In this terrifying, action-fueled film based on the MARVEL comic series, five young people who demonstrate special powers are brought to a secret institution to undergo treatments they are told will cure them of the dangers of their powers. Included are Danielle Moonstar aka Mirage (Blu Hunt), who creates illusions from other people’s fears; Rahne Sinclair (Maisie Williams), who transforms into the werewolf Wolfsbane; Sam Guthrie (Charlie Heaton), who, as Cannonball, can fly at jet speeds protected by a force field; Roberto da Costa aka Sunspot (Henry Zaga), who absorbs and channels solar power; and Illyana Rasputin aka Magik (Anya Taylor-Joy). The younger sister of Colossus, Magik becomes encased in armor at will and wields a soulsword that amplifies her multiple superhuman and psychic abilities. Invited by Dr. Cecilia Reyes (Alice Braga) to share their stories about when their powers first manifested, the five “patients” come to understand that they are in a class of people called mutants, who have historically been marginalized and feared. As they relive their origin stories, their memories seem to turn into terrifying realities. Soon, they question what is real and what isn’t, and it becomes clear that the institution isn’t what it seems. Now the question is — why are they being held captive? And who is trying to destroy them? The tension and horror mount in this white-knuckle thrill ride directed by Josh Boone and co-written by Boone and Knate Lee.

Running Time: 98 minutes

Production Budget: Unknown (There's no reliable source that tells what the budget of this movie is)

Rotten Tomatoes Score: N/A

Trailer:

Teaser:

This opens Friday in select markets where theatres are open

Thought I would go ahead and post this for those here who want to and are able to see this can talk about. As in previous threads, this is a free open-spoiler thread. So if you don't want to be spoiled, stick to the pre-announcement thread.

And as a courtesy, please don't troll this thread that you have no interest in going to the theatres or people are crazy to see this etc. This is for people to talk about the movie, not your personal beliefs or health concerns.

As for me, I will see this as soon as theatres are open here in Southern California. We may get news about that later this week. But, if theatres here don't open in time during it's theatrical window, then of course I'll have no choice but wait until it hits video.

This is the first studio release of a popular IP during this Covid era, so it definitely deserves a review thread for people who want to and can see it to talk about it.

I know traffic and commentary in this thread will likely be light as many of you don't have theatres open in your town.

Last edited by DJariya; 08-25-20 at 02:35 PM.
Old 08-25-20, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,376 Likes on 937 Posts
Re: New Mutants (2020, D: Boone) -- S: Williams, Taylor-Joy, Braga -- The Spoiler filled reviews thread

Sounds like Disney was being dicks and telling reviewers the only way they can see it is in a theater. Many sites not even doing reviews as a result of that.
Old 08-25-20, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk God

Re: New Mutants (2020, D: Boone) -- S: Williams, Taylor-Joy, Braga -- The Spoiler filled reviews thread

John Campea and Robert Meyer Burnett, who are 2 local LA YouTube movie pundits, are driving to Las Vegas on Thursday to see this at an AMC there.
Old 08-25-20, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,039 Likes on 823 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
Sounds like Disney was being dicks and telling reviewers the only way they can see it is in a theater. Many sites not even doing reviews as a result of that.
That's normally what happens with bad movies. They nix the critic screenings and tell them they can go to theaters if they want to watch/review it.

Last edited by RichC2; 08-25-20 at 03:31 PM.
Old 08-25-20, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,376 Likes on 937 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
That's normally what happens with bad movies. They nix the critic screenings and tell them they can go to theaters if they want to watch/review it.
Which is fine if you aren't in the middle of a pandemic......
Old 08-25-20, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk God

Basically you're not going to get many or any critics reviews until Friday. Chances are they will be mostly from small cities or movie blogs.

Steve Weintraub from Collider video confirmed it's not being screened for the press

Old 08-25-20, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,039 Likes on 823 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
Which is fine if you aren't in the middle of a pandemic......
Which just helps Disney bury it even easier.
Old 08-25-20, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,077 Posts

Iíd buy it to watch at home this weekend. No way Iím braving a theater for ANY movie. Leaving money on the table, I guess.
Old 08-28-20, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,177 Likes on 916 Posts

Iíve watched a couple reviews on YouTube (Chris Stuckmann and Dan Murrell). Sounds like the movie isnít terrible, but also isnít that great either.
Old 08-28-20, 01:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 372 Likes on 309 Posts

Saw this at the local Drive-In Theater a few hours ago.

I only watched Chris Stuckmann's review but I agree with most of it. It's not an amazing film, nor is it among the worst Superhero films ever made.

It honestly just feels like it's sort of there, existing in a space.

I did enjoy a few things about the film, namely Anya Taylor-Joy as Magik, while written a bit cartoonish at times, usually is the most interesting character in the room. Similar things can be said about Maisie Williams as Wolfsbane. Though I wish both characters were developed a bit more.

I also appreciated the (mostly) single setting of the film and the approach being quite a bit different than what we are used to seeing with most films within the Genre.

With that said, I thought Blu Hunt as Mirage & Alice Braga as Cecilla Reyes were lifeless. When either of the two entered a scene, it felt like any momentum that started would immediately come to a halt. Also while I mentioned that I appreciated the different approach to the Genre, it doesn't always work.

There is way too much exposition for a film like this and characters repeat a few things over & over again. One example would be Cannonball's background story. It's almost as if Director Josh Boone didn't think we were listening the first 3 times he had characters speak about it.

Last edited by asianxcore; 08-28-20 at 02:46 AM.
Old 08-28-20, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by asianxcore
Saw this at the local Drive-In Theater a few hours ago.

I only watched Chris Stuckmann's review but I agree with most of it. It's not an amazing film, nor is it among the worst Superhero films ever made.

It honestly just feels like it's sort of there, existing in a space.

I did enjoy a few things about the film, namely Anya Taylor-Joy as Magik, while written a bit cartoonish at times, usually is the most interesting character in the room. Similar things can be said about Maisie Williams as Wolfsbane. Though I wish both characters were developed a bit more.

I also appreciated the (mostly) single setting of the film and the approach being quite a bit different than what we are used to seeing with most films within the Genre.

With that said, I thought Blu Hunt as Mirage & Alice Braga as Cecilla Reyes were lifeless. When either of the two entered a scene, it felt like any momentum that started would immediately come to a halt. Also while I mentioned that I appreciated the different approach to the Genre, it doesn't always work.

There is way too much exposition for a film like this and characters repeat a few things over & over again. One example would be Cannonball's background story. It's almost as if Director Josh Boone didn't think we were listening the first 3 times he had characters speak about it.
So basically your typical Fox brand X-Men movie? Does the movie have any connections with the MCU?

Last edited by ddrknghtrtns; 08-28-20 at 08:28 AM.
Old 08-28-20, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,177 Likes on 916 Posts

It didnít sound like it. Some references to the Fox X-Men films is all the reviews I watched mentioned.
Old 08-28-20, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by ddrknghtrtns
So basically your typical Fox brand X-Men movie? Does the movie have any connections with the MCU?
No connections to the MCU.

There's quick references mentioning the X-Men and a flashback from Logan. That's about it.
Old 08-29-20, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 231 Likes on 159 Posts

I thought it was completely worth it... just for Magik. She steals the damn show. Hopefully, she is some how integrated within the MCU.

The film was a bit slow, but I enjoyed it.
Old 08-29-20, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 288 Likes on 209 Posts

Sounds like it will make about 3 million for Friday. No idea what expectations are anymore. But given what were are in and where it can play I would say not horrible.
Old 08-29-20, 09:30 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

It was okay. The cast is appealing, which helped, but they didn’t have much to do. Just very basic. A B- if I’m being generous.
Old 09-08-20, 04:40 PM

Received 4,693 Likes on 3,179 Posts

I thought this was a complete bore. I was checking my watch after 25 minutes. Nothing much happens until the last 20 minutes, and even then, it's just a bad CG fest. After all the hullabaloo around this movie... it's just... I'll quote asianxcore... "sort of there". Don't go out of your way to see it.
The following users liked this post:
asianxcore (09-15-20)
Old 09-16-20, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk God

Just got back from seeing it. I think there were maybe 15-20 in the theater I was in.

It was very average. I actually found the first 40 or so minutes kind of slow and boring. But, probably the last 30-35 mins kept it from being a complete dud for me.

It's an extremely small cast. Only 6 main people were the core of it. I agree with Asianxcore, Anya Taylor-Joy was probably the standout among some pretty dull characters.

They do make one quick reference to the X-Men in it. I'd give it between a C+ and C

Old 09-17-20, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 492 Likes on 324 Posts

Saw this tonight at my local theatre's 10:30pm showing. Only other people were a group of three teenage girls.

I'm not big into superheros, only saw the first two X-Men movies back in the early 2000's. I only went because it was the only movie playing I hadn't seen yet.

So take my unfamiliarity with this series of films and my non-existent expectations into account when I say I really loved this. All of the kid actors were captivating (I recognized the werewolf girl, but it wasn't until the end credits I realized she was Aria from Game of Thrones, I initially thought she was the non-binary girl from Sabrina). I found it genuinely creepy, and would argue this is a straight-up horror movie. It seemed to be heavily influenced by One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest.

The end credits listed Marilyn Manson as the voice of the Smiley Face Man.

Between this Unhinged, the latest Bill & Ted, and The Burnt Orange Heresy, I hope we get a lot more of these leaner, 90 minute movies. There's nothing wrong with a simple story told well.
Old 10-01-20, 06:48 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 683 Likes on 458 Posts
Re: The New Mutants (2020, D: Josh Boone) S: Taylor-Joy, Williams, Heaton, Braga

Had heard negative things on comic sites, so went in trying to think of it as just a little horror film and not based on the comics I read back in the day. On that level it wasn’t too bad. Would have felt cheated if I paid full price, but Regal Unlimited makes it easier to appreciate average movies.
Old 10-07-20, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk God

Coming November 17th

Blind Buy away!!!
Old 10-07-20, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,052 Likes on 1,582 Posts

This will be on HBO/HBOMax eventually, right?
Old 10-07-20, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by fujishig
This will be on HBO/HBOMax eventually, right?
Yes it's contracted to go to HBO after the home video release.

So probably sometime in early 2021.
Old 10-07-20, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DJariya

Coming November 17th

Blind Buy away!!!
I dig the cover art.

Will probably pick this up when it's cheap, mostly because I enjoyed Anya Taylor-Joy's performance.
Old 10-07-20, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 755 Likes on 551 Posts

No digital rentals as of yet?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.