Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Class Action Park (Dir. Chris Charles Scott/Seth Porges)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 08-22-20, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 138 Likes on 117 Posts

I'm not from New Jersey but this Documentary looks fascinating.

It's being released by HBO Max on August 27th, 2020.

Old 08-23-20, 01:01 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 1,338 Likes on 828 Posts
Re: Class Action Park (Dir. Chris Charles Scott/Seth Porges)

Finally HBO Max has itís own must-watch exclusive content!
Old 08-29-20, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 138 Likes on 117 Posts

Watched this a few hours ago.

The anecdotes from former park employees & guests are off-the-wall insane. The amount of negligence, injuries and death surround the park should have shutdown the park a long time ago but it was allowed to operate for an avalanche of reasons that are stated in the Documentary.

It was great to see one of my favorite former Talk Show Personalities, Chris Gethard, get interviewed for the Documentary, sharing his stories growing up during the time of Action Park.

Solid Documentary though there's an odd coldness that a few of the interviewees have when sharing many of their anecdotes.

Last edited by asianxcore; 08-29-20 at 01:27 PM.
Old 08-29-20, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 189 Likes on 158 Posts

I'll have to watch this at some point. My 8th grade class trip was to Action Park. Or Class Action Park, or Traction Park, whatever you like to call it. Some of my friends definitely got a nasty road rash on the Alpine Slide.
Old 08-31-20, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 343 Likes on 211 Posts

I started this late last night thinking Iíd finish it later but ended up staying up to watch the whole thing. Though I grew up in Iowa and never went anywhere near this place I had heard a lot about it.

The stories they highlight are just insane. Itís really well done and itís not all played for laughs.
Old 08-31-20, 09:16 AM

Received 96 Likes on 64 Posts

It was pretty interesting. All I can say is if this place was near me when I was a kid I would've been there every weekend.
The following users liked this post:
tommyp007 (09-03-20)
Old 08-31-20, 10:28 AM

It was pretty insane. Lord of The Flies, the amusement park. Amazing that this place was allowed to operate as long as it did. That Alpine ride was just a death trap.

I didn't really understand that loop slide : did they only operate it for a weekend or two before shutting it down?
Old 08-31-20, 03:18 PM

Received 218 Likes on 157 Posts

I enjoyed the movie. I loved all the old park footage. But I was disappointed that it was so negative. It was like a 60 Minutes expose. And they really vilified the owner. I'm sure he wasn't a saint. But they had people celebrating his death.

There was one guy that looked like a young Woody Allen. He acted like his trip to Action Park was a tour of duty in Vietnam. I imagine he was one of those fragile kids with a snotty nose that constantly complained about everything being dangerous.

The funny thing is, throughout all these doom and gloom anecdotes, the videos showed parkgoers having the time of their lives. Whenever I hear people talk about Action Park, they mention the dangerous rides, but they go on and on about how much fun they had. I wish I heard more of the fun stuff in the documentary.

Old 08-31-20, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by TheBigDave View Post
I enjoyed the movie. I loved all the old park footage. But I was disappointed that it was so negative. It was like a 60 Minutes expose. And they really vilified the owner. I'm sure he wasn't a saint. But they had people celebrating his death.

There was one guy that looked like a young Woody Allen. He acted like his trip to Action Park was a tour of duty in Vietnam. I imagine he was one of those fragile kids with a snotty nose that constantly complained about everything being dangerous.

The funny thing is, throughout all these doom and gloom anecdotes, the videos showed parkgoers having the time of their lives. Whenever I hear people talk about Action Park, they mention the dangerous rides, but they go on and on about how much fun they had. I wish I heard more of the fun stuff in the documentary.
The point was that it was fun for a lot of people...until it wasn't. And that's wrong, even if it was fun for people.

And the woman who celebrated his death was the mother of someone who died at the park and their response was to lie about what happened to him. I can understand her feelings.
Old 08-31-20, 04:16 PM

That Woody Allen looking guy is a well known stand-up comic named Chris Gethard who had his own talk show for several years and has a stand up special on HBO

Old 08-31-20, 04:29 PM

Received 218 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven View Post
The point was that it was fun for a lot of people...until it wasn't. And that's wrong, even if it was fun for people.
I get that. But they didn't talk about the fun stuff. They just talked about how everything was dangerous. There should have been some balance. Show the dark side, but also have people tell a few stories about why they loved the park. Instead, it comes off like a trip down the river in Apocalypse Now.
Old 08-31-20, 04:37 PM

I get that. But they didn't talk about the fun stuff. They just talked about how everything was dangerous. There should have been some balance. Show the dark side, but also have people tell a few stories about why they loved the park. Instead, it comes off like a trip down the river in Apocalypse Now.
Strong disagree there. Lots of participants in the documentary, especially the former teen employees, shared fond memories of the place. Even Chris Gethard shared some positive recollections.
Old 08-31-20, 05:02 PM

Received 978 Likes on 660 Posts

This is the original doc short: https://dai.ly/x158v48

When I was a kid, I would be bombarded with commercials for Action Park. There is no way in hell my parents would ever have let us go there.
Old 08-31-20, 06:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I grew up near Action Park and any chance we got we would go. Most parents prohibited it but you'd always find someone that was going so everyone would catch a ride.

It was like a right of passage living in North Jersey and getting road rash from the Alpine Slide. Someone would be walking funny in school and you'd hear "Action Park last weekend?"
Old 09-01-20, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
Strong disagree there. Lots of participants in the documentary, especially the former teen employees, shared fond memories of the place. Even Chris Gethard shared some positive recollections.
Yep. It was obvious that they had fun there as a kid but looking back as adults, they realized how dangerous it was.

I was thinking while watching the documentary that I used to jump by BMX bike off mounds of dirt and leave it in midair, crashing the bike and myself to the ground. No helmet, no pads. I wasn't even a particularly adventurous kid. I can think about how much fun I had as a kid while also realizing that what I was doing was deeply stupid. I have a friend who works with people who have suffered brain injuries and anyone riding a bike without a helmet keeps him up at night.

And that was just me and my bike. No one was directly profiting off my idiocy.
Old 09-03-20, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The fun stuff WAS the dangerous stuff. That's the whole point.
Old 09-03-20, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

My buddy worked there for a couple years. He told me a lot of stories about how unsafe things were, how the staff were often drunk or high, and how there was zero oversight or training. They'd have a ton of fun during the day, but even crazier fun once the park shut down at the end of the day.
Old 09-09-20, 01:50 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 166 Likes on 121 Posts

The info and story was interesting but this was a very poorly made documentary.
Old 09-09-20, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This is an odd point (probably not mentioned in the doc), but one of the things I remember from visiting Action Park was that all the video games were bootlegs. Now, before you ask "who the hell goes to Action Park to play video games??", it was 1981, the absolute height of the arcade game boom. If you wanted to play arcade games, there was only whatever was at the local pizza joint, or you had to wait till your parents could drive you to the mall. So video games were a big thing to kids my age.
Anyway, they all LOOKED like the real thing, although some had knock-off names like "Grab It" instead of Pac-Man. And when you tried your usual "patterns" on games where you could use them, they didn't work. I think one of the biggest clues that you were playing a knock-off version was Donkey Kong; if you could walk behind Kong on the "peg" level, it's a knock-off. On the official Nintendo version, it's immediate death.

But yeah, that was just one more corner they cut at Action Park.
Old 09-16-20, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by The Questyen View Post
The info and story was interesting but this was a very poorly made documentary.
I just watched it this morning and I totally agree. Something was off about the tone and it didn't sit right with me. By the time it got the story of the one family, it made me so sad that the romanticizing of the fun that was had made me a little irritated. Maybe I wanted more archived footage? Less cartoon reenactments? I'm not sure. Documentaries are my favorite to watch but this one didn't do it for me.
Old 09-16-20, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by iggystar View Post
I just watched it this morning and I totally agree. Something was off about the tone and it didn't sit right with me. By the time it got the story of the one family, it made me so sad that the romanticizing of the fun that was had made me a little irritated. Maybe I wanted more archived footage? Less cartoon reenactments? I'm not sure. Documentaries are my favorite to watch but this one didn't do it for me.
They repeated so many clips that I imagine that was EVERYTHING they could get their hands on. They didn't strike me as an operation that would have a lot of great B-roll for their press kit
Old 09-17-20, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Draven View Post
They repeated so many clips that I imagine that was EVERYTHING they could get their hands on. They didn't strike me as an operation that would have a lot of great B-roll for their press kit
True, very true. Even in the age of home video they were probably scraping from the bottom of the barrel. I guess I can't put my finger on why it rubbed me the wrong way and I'm grasping for straws.
Old 09-17-20, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 77 Likes on 66 Posts

That water slide loop thing is utterly ridiculous. I cannot believe people went down that... and got stuck! lol.
Old 09-17-20, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 368 Likes on 268 Posts

I get that. But they didn't talk about the fun stuff.
The title of the doc called CLASS ACTION Park. That should tell you right there the tone.
Old 09-17-20, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 473 Likes on 341 Posts

I havenít seen the documentary yet but this description cracks me up.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.