Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Sputnik (2020)...Russian sci-fi creature film.

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 08-21-20, 08:21 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 336 Likes on 297 Posts

Originally Posted by E Unit View Post
For the few that know about the Russian movie Sputnik, it's now out on digital. I've read reviews and many say it's almost on par with Alien. It's available on Vudu, for $19.99.

https://www.vudu.com/content/movies/...putnik/1470974

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLn2xeJgQeM
Borrowed this from the streaming forum, but will get buried in Vudu thread. Fans of genre or even low budget, incredibly well made foreign films should really seek this out.

fucking fantastic! I haven’t been freaked out by a movie in a long time and this had me on edge the entire film. Simply fantastic. This is a must see sci-fi creature film that has not been done before. Must see!

Last edited by OldBoy; 08-21-20 at 09:36 PM.
Old 11-10-20, 09:50 AM
Premium Member

Received 419 Likes on 330 Posts
Re: Sputnik (2020)...Russian sci-fi creature film.

Since this is such a long thread, I'll let the masses know that this will be released by Shout! on 02/09/21. I was really hoping for a 4K of it, but oh well. I still may look at Europe to see if they have one.

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Sputnik-Blu-ray/280449/

Old 11-10-20, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Pretty solid, lesser known movie. I didn't expect much and came away really enjoying it. I think if you're a fan of The Thing you'll really like this one.
Old 11-16-20, 06:47 PM
Premium Member

For those mildly interested in seeing this, it’s now up on Hulu.
Old 11-16-20, 06:56 PM

Seriously? Oh man, as much as I would love bluray, I’m sure not much in ways of special features so digital is probably best. Love this one so much. Seriously, best sci-fi creature feature since 79’s Alien by Scott. That was so great and classic and creepy as fuck. To think I saw this after Cameron’s Aliens. Two totally different films. This is certainly smaller not really similar film, but best since Alien, hands down.
Old 03-29-21, 12:12 PM

Received 1,617 Likes on 1,119 Posts

EXCLUSIVE: The Matrix and Joker co-producer Village Roadshow Pictures is teaming with Matt Reeves’ 6th & Idaho (The Batman) and XYZ Films (Mandy) for the English-language remake of recently-released Russian sci-fi-thriller Sputnik.

Set in the Soviet Union in the 1980s during the Cold War, the film follows a young female doctor who is recruited by the military to assess a cosmonaut who survived a mysterious space accident and returned to Earth with a dangerous organism living inside him. The English-language remake is currently in development.

Producers for the remake include Matt Reeves, Adam Kassan and Rafi Crohn for 6th & Idaho, Mikhail Vrubel and Alexander Andryushenko for Vodorod Pictures, Fedor Bondarchuk for Art Pictures and Ilya Stewart for Hype Film.

Egor Abramenko, Murad Osmann, Pavel Burya, Alina Tyazhlova and Mila Rozanova are executive producers. XYZ Films also serves as executive producers. Jillian Apfelbaum (Late Night) will oversee for Village Roadshow Pictures.

The original film was directed by Egor Abramenko and produced by Vodorod Pictures, Art Pictures Studio, and Hype Film. The creature feature had its international premiere at the 2020 Tribeca Film Festival and was released in Russia in April 2020 and in North America by IFC. XYZ handled North American sales for the original film.

“We believe Sputnik will translate well to English-speaking audiences and continue to captivate moviegoers worldwide with its thrilling story. We are eager to begin production and believe we have some of the best partners in the industry to reimagine Egor’s original vision while staying true to the film’s journey,” said Jillian Apfelbaum, Village Roadshow Pictures’ Executive Vice President, Feature Film.

“Sputnik was the first big Russian release to go straight to digital platforms during the lockdown, everyone was staying at home and an unprecedented amount of people watched it, the release created a lot of buzz both in Russia and globally. I’m very proud that Sputnik now is a rare Russian film to get an English language remake,” commented leading Russian producer Fedor Bondarchuk, who also stars in the original.
Old 03-29-21, 12:24 PM

Ok, I guess, but nothing will capture magic of this Russian gem. Just a fantastic horror/sci-fi movie. Best of genre in a long long time.
Old 03-29-21, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 111 Likes on 54 Posts

Iím usually pretty open to considering remakes on their own merit, but this strikes me as an especially stupid one. The story doesnít lend itself to being moved to a different era or setting and it seems pretty dumb to keep those elements the same and just have it in English so people donít have to read.
Old 03-29-21, 08:08 PM
Premium Member

So the same movie but in English with higher CGI effects. So in a way, The Thing, or Alien. Fab.
Old 03-29-21, 08:18 PM

Yeah, gonna suck. Only decent remake I’ve seen and it was only just decent (only saw once though) was Let Me In from the absolutely divine and shockingly superb Swedish original Let the Right One In. That was a truly special, just incredible foreign film. One of my all time favs.