Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The One and Only Ivan (2020) -- S: Bryan Cranston, V: Rockwell, Jolie, DeVito -- Disney Plus

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The One and Only Ivan (2020) -- S: Bryan Cranston, V: Rockwell, Jolie, DeVito -- Disney Plus

Old 08-21-20, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,728 Likes on 2,676 Posts

An adaptation of the award-winning book about one very special gorilla, Disney’s “The One and Only Ivan” is an unforgettable tale about the beauty of friendship, the power of visualization and the significance of the place one calls home. Ivan is a 400-pound silverback gorilla who shares a communal habitat in a suburban shopping mall with Stella the elephant, Bob the dog, and various other animals. He has few memories of the jungle where he was captured, but when a baby elephant named Ruby arrives, it touches something deep within him. Ruby is recently separated from her family in the wild, which causes him to question his life, where he comes from and where he ultimately wants to be. The heartwarming adventure, which comes to the screen in an impressive hybrid of live-action and CGI, is based on Katherine Applegate’s bestselling book, which won numerous awards upon its publication in 2013, including the Newbery Medal. The film stars: Sam Rockwell as the voice of Ivan; Angelina Jolie as the voice of Stella; Danny DeVito as the voice of Bob the dog; Helen Mirren as the voice of Snickers the poodle; Brooklynn Prince as the voice of Ruby; Ramon Rodriquez as the mall employee George; Ariana Greenblatt as George’s daughter Julia; Chaka Khan as the voice of Henrietta the chicken; Mike White as the voice of Frankie the seal; Ron Funches as the voice of Murphy the rabbit; Phillipa Soo as the voice of Thelma the parrot; and Bryan Cranston as Mack, the mall’s owner. “The One and Only Ivan” is directed by Thea Sharrock from a screenplay by Mike White based on Applegate’s book and is produced by the late Allison Shearmur, Angelina Jolie and Brigham Taylor. Sue Baden-Powell and Thea Sharrock serve as executive producers.

This is out today on Disney +

Old 08-21-20, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,294 Likes on 2,114 Posts
Re: The One and Only Ivan (2020) -- S: Bryan Cranston, V: Rockwell, Jolie, DeVito -- Disney Plus

The CGI doesn’t look great compared to what we’ve gotten used to recently but it looks cute enough. I’ll probably watch it with my son sometime this weekend.
Old 08-21-20, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 240 Likes on 176 Posts
Re: The One and Only Ivan (2020) -- S: Bryan Cranston, V: Rockwell, Jolie, DeVito -- Disney Plus

My daughter (9) read the book and wants to see it. That is tomorrow night's feature.
Old 08-23-20, 11:51 AM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

As I said in the D+ thread I just found the movie to be a bit weird. Maybe a 10yr old would like it, but as an adult the CG kind of creeped me out, and the story seemed a bit off (maybe it's the writing). I know it was based on a true story, but I just found so many different parts of it to be surreal.

Maybe I should have been high while I watched.
Old 08-23-20, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,294 Likes on 2,114 Posts

This was cute but entirely predictable. I agree it was somewhat strange seeing a True story that had talking animals but I guess it worked for the story.

Cranston was good but under utilized and there were long stretches of time where the animals were just talking amongst themselves in their cages that slowed the pacing down a lot but my 5 year old son was engaged throughout and seemed to enjoy it so I’d say it’s worth a watch.

Overall, not a terrible afternoon movie for the kids but nothing spectacular either.
Old 08-26-20, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I lost interest pretty quickly. I think I'm just always going to prefer non-photo-realism for my talking animals. Movies like this & the new Lion King and Jungle Book just ruin the character appeal since their faces are mostly inexpressive and they can't do anything (much) that the real animals don't do.

The nadir I think was the recent TV CGI adaptation of Watership Down which had no visual interest whatsoever and would've been better as a radio play.

Last edited by adamblast; 08-27-20 at 03:28 PM.
Old 04-22-21, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 492 Likes on 324 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
This was cute but entirely predictable. I agree it was somewhat strange seeing a True story that had talking animals but I guess it worked for the story.
Having the animals "talk" was clearly a way to tell the story without having it be depressing. I wished they hadn't had the "inspired by a true story" tag, because it ignored what a cruel life these animals suffered, so ultimately the movie comes across as dishonest, something that wouldn't have bothered me if it played as a fictional story.
Old 05-26-23, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk God

This is part of the Disney purge. Bryan Cranston posted on his Instagram for everyone to watch this before it's gone. Overall, I thought this was okay. I don't expect anyone here to rush and watch this.

Not a great movie, but certainly not bad. It had a good intention behind it. I wish they would have developed the Mack and Ivan relationship more. But they sorta rushed through it and focused more on the baby elephant.

Looks like the real Ivan the gorilla died in 2012 at age 50

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivan_(gorilla)

and also one of the producers of the movie also died before it's release from lung cancer. That's why they had an In Memory of Allison Shearmur

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm1903054/
Old 05-26-23, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 983 Likes on 687 Posts

So I don't think this got a disc release so does this become lost media?

I really don't understand the Disney+ purge. How does that save money if they produced it. They have to pay royalties to themselves?
Old 05-26-23, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by tanman
So I don't think this got a disc release so does this become lost media?

I really don't understand the Disney+ purge. How does that save money if they produced it. They have to pay royalties to themselves?
The Disney + thread explains it a little more. But, it's to avoid paying residuals to actors and creators.

This was a streaming exclusive, so no disc release. Its going into the vault indefinitely.
Old 05-27-23, 06:01 AM

Received 4,691 Likes on 3,179 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Its going into the vault indefinitely.
Is this an assumption or has this been said about any of the content being removed? Seems more likely to be licensed out to ad based streamers to make money. It had already been reported earlier in the year that Disney was considering licensing more.
Old 05-28-23, 01:34 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by dex14
Is this an assumption or has this been said about any of the content being removed? Seems more likely to be licensed out to ad based streamers to make money. It had already been reported earlier in the year that Disney was considering licensing more.
Until it's reported otherwise, I'm going to assume these titles are going to be locked up indefinitely. I mean it's not like Tubi or Pluto TV is clamoring to get their hands on this movie. And who would watch it? If you didn't watch it in the 3 years it was on Disney +, you're not going to watch it on a service with commercials.
The following users liked this post:
tanman (05-28-23)