Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Scenes from movies that you really dont remember being in the movie

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 08-18-20, 01:11 PM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Seriously there are scenes in old movies that i dont remember seeing in the movie and then they added it into the movie when on tv or some special anniversary DVD or whatever.

Uncle Buck

Bug getting abducted by Buck and then Buck and Tia threatening to kill or maim Bug with that drill. Never seen it now until i watched the movie for DVD last night. That scene was never in the movie back then
Old 08-18-20, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 197 Likes on 169 Posts
Re: Scenes from movies that you really dont remember being in the movie

Baltar being executed in a movie version of the original Battlestar Galactica. (It was the pilot episodes edited into a "movie").
Old 08-18-20, 01:26 PM

Received 197 Likes on 169 Posts

In a tv version of Superman 2 at the end of the movie after losing all their powers, the kryptonians were arrested and hauled off to a paddywagon.
Old 08-18-20, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,035 Likes on 1,572 Posts

Is this like the opposite of the Mandela effect (we can call it the "getting old effect")? Otherwise if it's just actual scenes that were added to the movie after theatrical release I'm sure you can just get a list somewhere, it has nothing to do with memory...
Old 08-18-20, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 280 Likes on 215 Posts

I sometimes remember scenes that were NOT in the movie. Don't know how that happens. I remember the nuns serving a big breakfast to Sidney Poitier in LILIES OF THE FIELD (1963) from when I saw it as a kid and they kept filling his plate and he was teaching them vernacular like "y'all." I watched it on TCM recently and was stunned to learn that the scene in question has him complaining about the single fried egg and glass of milk they give him for breakfast after he's spent hours working for them. And nothing about "Y'all." Did they cut a scene? Or did I just imagine it?
Old 08-18-20, 04:22 PM
Banned

No it doesnt thave anything to fucking do with the stupid Mandela effect. I just dont remember that one scene with Buck and Tia threatening Bug with the drill. Since back then in the day I have never seen that scene until now.

Originally Posted by fujishig
Is this like the opposite of the Mandela effect (we can call it the "getting old effect")? Otherwise if it's just actual scenes that were added to the movie after theatrical release I'm sure you can just get a list somewhere, it has nothing to do with memory...
Old 08-18-20, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 402 Likes on 269 Posts

From the age of 6 until the age of 18 my vhs copies of Ghostbusters 1 and 2 were taped off of tv. No ghost blowjob. No dickless/this man his no dick. I actually miss that vhs tape. I'm nostalgic for it. Especially the 1990 tv commercials. I wish I still had them.
Old 08-18-20, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts

I remember being taken to see Altered States & Excalibur when they first came out. But had no idea those films had sex scenes until I rewatched them years later while in Jr High. Guess my eyes had to be closed then?
Old 08-18-20, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 996 Likes on 703 Posts

Originally Posted by urrutiap
No it doesnt thave anything to fucking do with the stupid Mandela effect. I just dont remember that one scene with Buck and Tia threatening Bug with the drill. Since back then in the day I have never seen that scene until now.
You're fun.
The following users liked this post:
Jay G. (08-20-20)
Old 08-18-20, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,309 Likes on 953 Posts

Originally Posted by urrutiap

Bug getting abducted by Buck and then Buck and Tia threatening to kill or maim Bug with that drill. Never seen it now until i watched the movie for DVD last night. That scene was never in the movie back then
I've always remembered that scene. But I saw the movie when it was first in theaters. Sounds like you saw an edited version on tv or something.
Jay G. (08-20-20)
Old 08-18-20, 11:17 PM
Banned

No.

Even back then for VHS, that scene was not there.
Old 08-19-20, 05:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 462 Likes on 258 Posts

I just watched Moonraker again after quite a few years and I could have sworn that in the scene where Jaws first meets his girlfriend, she is wearing braces when she first smiles. Could I have imagined it?
Old 08-19-20, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 373 Likes on 267 Posts

Originally Posted by rocket1312
You're fun.
I like that he starts a discussion thread and discourages discussion.

For the record, the drill scene and the pancake scene are pretty much all I remember about Uncle Buck. Hell, a still from the drill scene was the still image when I just googled “Uncle Buck trailer.”
Jay G. (08-20-20)
Old 08-19-20, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaymole
I just watched Moonraker again after quite a few years and I could have sworn that in the scene where Jaws first meets his girlfriend, she is wearing braces when she first smiles. Could I have imagined it?
I remember it that way as well. Are we both wrong? Coincidently i started watching Mooraker last weekend, but only made it about 30 mins in before turning it off. Gonna continue it today.
Old 08-19-20, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 491 Likes on 324 Posts

Originally Posted by james2025a
I remember it that way as well. Are we both wrong? Coincidently i started watching Mooraker last weekend, but only made it about 30 mins in before turning it off. Gonna continue it today.
This is a popular Mandela effect. Until recently, I believed she wore braces, and I never even saw Moonraker! Yet, somehow pop culture put that incorrect idea in my head.

My theory is there was a Moonraker parody out at the time (in Mad magazine or on TV like SCTV or something) that did that scene, the joke being she's wearing braces, and people confused it with their memory of seeing the movie. Back in 1979, the home video market was nothing, so most people would have only seen it at the movie theatre if at all.
Old 08-19-20, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 280 Likes on 215 Posts

I remember the braces in MOONRAKER also. I only saw it in a theater and not since, although I have tried watching it on cable, but always gave up early so I never got to where the braces scene should be.
Old 08-19-20, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 431 Likes on 293 Posts

Man I know we got a bunch of old people here now but damn
tanman (08-19-20)
Old 08-19-20, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,035 Likes on 1,572 Posts

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen
This is a popular Mandela effect. Until recently, I believed she wore braces, and I never even saw Moonraker! Yet, somehow pop culture put that incorrect idea in my head.

My theory is there was a Moonraker parody out at the time (in Mad magazine or on TV like SCTV or something) that did that scene, the joke being she's wearing braces, and people confused it with their memory of seeing the movie. Back in 1979, the home video market was nothing, so most people would have only seen it at the movie theatre if at all.
This is why I brought up the Mandela effect (before being told that that discussion wasn't welcome in this very specific thread). That's way more common, remembering things that weren't there.
Old 08-19-20, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 491 Likes on 324 Posts

Your earlier post describing this as the opposite of the Mandela effect was a good point, not sure why what's his name got pissy at you.
Old 08-19-20, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 972 Likes on 679 Posts

Originally Posted by Hazel Motes
From the age of 6 until the age of 18 my vhs copies of Ghostbusters 1 and 2 were taped off of tv. No ghost blowjob. No dickless/this man his no dick. I actually miss that vhs tape. I'm nostalgic for it. Especially the 1990 tv commercials. I wish I still had them.
I remember watching Short Circuit 1 and 2 taped from TV on VHS and it always bugged me that in the end credits of the first one it showed scenes that weren't in the movie. I always thought it was just edited for TV or something like that but when I finally saw the whole film on DVD I was disappointed the scenes weren't in the movie. I guess they put deleted scenes in the end credits?
Old 08-20-20, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 655 Likes on 453 Posts

Originally Posted by tanman
I remember watching Short Circuit 1 and 2 taped from TV on VHS and it always bugged me that in the end credits of the first one it showed scenes that weren't in the movie. I always thought it was just edited for TV or something like that but when I finally saw the whole film on DVD I was disappointed the scenes weren't in the movie. I guess they put deleted scenes in the end credits?
One possibility is that they started editing the end credits montage before the final cut was finished. So when the montage was created, those shots were still in the film, but then they were later removed, and the montage wasn't updated to remove those scenes. It's similar to how trailers sometimes include deleted scenes/shots for the same reason.

End credits:
tanman (08-20-20)
Old 08-20-20, 10:48 AM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
I remember being taken to see Altered States & Excalibur when they first came out. But had no idea those films had sex scenes until I rewatched them years later while in Jr High. Guess my eyes had to be closed then?
I think there was a PG version of Excalibur released.
Old 08-20-20, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

So my memory of Uncle Buck is that Buck breaks into a bedroom at a party using the drill, sees Bug in bed with another girl, then grins and walks forward towards Bug, revving the drill. then it cuts away.

Later, after Buck finds Tia and is driving her home in his car, Buck reveals that he has Bug in the trunk. The pull over, pull Bug out, and he starts running off in to a field while Buck pulls out a golf set and starts swinging golf balls at him.

Is OP insinuating these scenes, or one of them, wasn't originally in the film, based solely on their memory?
Old 08-20-20, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mabuse
I think there was a PG version of Excalibur released.
The PG version apparently didn't get a wide theatrical release, but unsuprisingly was used for TV broadcast. Even HBO showed the PG version during the day, with the R version only showing up at night.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Excali...s_and_versions
The 140-minute version was initially released in the United States with an R-rating. Distributors later announced a 119m PG-rated version, with less graphic sex and violence, but it was not widely released. Most home video releases are the R-rated version, but commercial TV channels may use the PG cut.

When Excalibur first premiered on HBO in 1982, the R-rated version was shown in the evening and the PG-rated version was shown during the daytime, following the then current rule of HBO only showing R-rated films during the evening hours.
If I had watched Excalibur commercial free on HBO back in the day, I likely wouldn't have considered the possibility that I was watching an edited version.
Old 08-20-20, 11:38 AM

Received 853 Likes on 559 Posts

This poster rules.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.