Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Devil All The Time (2020) -- S: Tom Holland, Bill Skarsgard, Robert Pattinson -- Netflix

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Devil All The Time (2020) -- S: Tom Holland, Bill Skarsgard, Robert Pattinson -- Netflix

Old 08-17-20, 01:16 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,738 Likes on 2,683 Posts

Some people are just born to be buried. In Knockemstiff, Ohio and its neighboring backwoods, sinister characters — an unholy preacher (Robert Pattinson), twisted couple (Jason Clarke and Riley Keough), and crooked sheriff (Sebastian Stan) — converge around young Arvin Russell (Tom Holland) as he fights the evil forces that threaten him and his family. Spanning the time between World War II and the Vietnam war, director Antonio Campos’ THE DEVIL ALL THE TIME renders a seductive and horrific landscape that pits the just against the corrupted. Co-starring Bill SkarsgŚrd, Mia Wasikowska, Harry Melling, Haley Bennett, and Pokey LaFarge, this suspenseful, finely-woven tale is adapted from Donald Ray Pollock's award-winning novel.

The trailer was released a few days ago. It has a pretty decent cast.
Old 08-17-20, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,208 Likes on 928 Posts
Re: The Devil All The Time (2020) -- S: Tom Holland, Bill Skarsgard, Robert Pattinson -- Netflix

This looks pretty good.
Old 08-17-20, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 492 Likes on 324 Posts
Re: The Devil All The Time (2020) -- S: Tom Holland, Bill Skarsgard, Robert Pattinson -- Netflix

The book is fantastic. No idea there was a film version. Will definitely check this out.
Old 09-19-20, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,298 Likes on 2,116 Posts

This is up on Netflix now.

I watched it tonight knowing almost nothing about it. Itís depressing as hell but I thought it was really well done. Itís the best performance Iíve seen from Tom Holland yet. Robert Pattinson was also very good.

Iíd highly recommend this, although you should probably be in the right frame of mind. Itís pretty bleak from get-go.

Great cast too!
Old 09-19-20, 01:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

Pattinson's very feminine like accent was a bit strange to me, but otherwise the movie was alright. Enjoyed it for a one time viewing but unlikely to ever revisit.
Old 09-19-20, 05:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 61 Likes on 44 Posts

I thought this was okay. Its a slow burn and I don't think I was prepared for the downer that it is. Some of the cast seems to be totally wasted with such small parts. I'll have to give it another shot when I can go into it knowing how it is.
Old 09-19-20, 07:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Cast looks great, but man...I just dont have the energy for something bleak or depressing these days.
Old 09-19-20, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 288 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by Koby
Pattinson's very feminine like accent was a bit strange to me, but otherwise the movie was alright. Enjoyed it for a one time viewing but unlikely to ever revisit.
I would describe it like this as well. One time viewing. It was good not great. It took me forever to figure out who the sheriff was and where I had seen him before.
Old 09-19-20, 10:02 AM

Received 4,693 Likes on 3,179 Posts

The cast in this is awesome. But this 2h15min film felt like 4 hours to me.
Old 09-19-20, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 219 Likes on 131 Posts

This was ok. Performances were strong and the story was ok, but holy shit was the narration awful. It felt like the director wouldíve preferred to have the whole movie be narrated with no lines by the actors at all.
Old 09-19-20, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 293 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by maxfisher
This was ok. Performances were strong and the story was ok, but holy shit was the narration awful. It felt like the director wouldíve preferred to have the whole movie be narrated with no lines by the actors at all.
Thankfully the narration wasn't throughout the entire film, because I will agree it was awful. But I really enjoyed this. It's definitely not for everyone. It's probably the slowest slow burner I've ever seen. It's also super dark, depressing and violent. This critic summed it up best. "Every piece of The Devil All The Time aims to wound its audience. This film is mean. It breaks you and it doesn't build you back up...It pushes the viewer to look at the evil hiding in people who present themselves as good."
Old 09-19-20, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,298 Likes on 2,116 Posts

^ Sounds about right.

I just interpreted the whole movie as a major condemnation of religion.
Old 09-29-20, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 492 Likes on 324 Posts

As a fan of the book I found this an interesting watch, but disliked the decision to use the narration that way. There's a huge difference between the way movies tell stories and books tell stories. The movie should have done its own thing and told the story in a more cinematic manner. You might as well just read the book.

That said, I was impressed to see in the end credits that the books' author Donald Ray Pollock performed the narration. He has a good voice, unusually so for a writer. I've lost track of how many authors I've listened to read their own work and being unable to take it seriously due to their goofy, high-pitch nerd voices