Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Are the Theatres Open Where You Are? Do You Go?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-20, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 478 Likes on 314 Posts

Here's my experience:

The local theatre here in Ontario, Canada re-opened. Ticket prices are reduced to five bucks, they've mostly been showing old movies, but new releases are starting to trickle out.

I live around the corner, and have lots of free time, so I've been a bunch of times. It's a strange experience, walking through the massive theatre lobby when it's completely empty. The first time, the way my footsteps echoed made me feel like I was walking into a mausoleum.

I was the only person in the theatre for Raiders of the Lost Ark. I wasn't made 100% sure what the mask requirements were. I was under the impression you had to wear your mask the entire time you were inside, but during the pre-show rules they said you were allowed to remove your mask inside the auditorium to enjoy your purchases from the concession stand.

Like, does that mean you're only supposed to lower your mask for the moments you are biting/swallowing, or that you don't have to wear it the entire time you're in the auditorium?

When I went the next night to see Jaws, there was only two other people in the theatre. Looked to be a couple in their 20's. They left halfway through the movie, leaving me by myself. Guess it was too scary for them or something.

I went to see Friday the 13th on a Sunday at 9:45, and there was about a dozen other people. I wasn't used to such crowds. They all had their masks off, no theatre staff said otherwise, so I guess you don't have to do the lowering the mask only during the moments you're eating.

I felt okay in this situation. I picked a seat in the front row, the other people were all in the upper seating of the auditorium, far away. The theatres are only selling tickets to seats that are isolated, only 30% capacity or something. But I don't know if I'd feel comfortable in a theatre that was filled to that 30% capacity.

Also checked out The Goonies, The Empire Strikes Back, and tonight saw a new movie called The Burnt Orange Heresy. There hasn't been more than 10 people including me in the theatre. The Burnt Orange Heresy was just me and one couple.
Old 08-08-20, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts
Re: Are the Theatres Open Where You Are? Do You Go?

Shouldn’t this be in the Movie Talk forum?
Old 08-08-20, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yes. Didn't realize I was in Other when I hit the New Thread button.
Old 08-08-20, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 331 Likes on 250 Posts

That screen looks small.
The following users liked this post:
Mabuse (08-09-20)
Old 08-08-20, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,151 Likes on 900 Posts

We have two theaters. One is a mall multiplex and the other is a single screen theater downtown. For a while the downtown theater was open, but they’ve closed again due to low attendance. When it was open a couple weeks ago my girlfriend and I went to​​​​​ Wonder Woman. We were the only two in attendance.
Old 08-08-20, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 954 Likes on 662 Posts

What time and day are you going? Also I don't think 20 something y.o. left because it was too scary

I've been VERY tempted to go when theaters open back up. I wasn't able to catch a lot of these classic movies on the big screen so I'm so tempted to see ESB and Raiders, I haven't heard of Jaws coming but would love to see that too. There's one specialty true single screen IMAX that's open here but it's about a 45 min drive so I haven't made the journey. I'm just concerned with being in an enclosed area like that with other people for an extended amount of time. I'll do the beach and outside stuff all day but haven't done restaurants or anything yet. But I'm used to the theaters being relatively empty precovid since we would go at odd hours while the kid was in school so I've been spoiled in that regard. I'm with you in that I don't want to risk it being even 30% full. But at least with the big chains I think they said they are open to returns if you don't feel comfortable so that's good. You can always get your money back if there's too many people.
Old 08-08-20, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

One theater near me is open. They've had a good slate of movies but I haven't gone. Yet. I think they're going to show Peninsula soon, which I want to see.
Old 08-08-20, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 310 Likes on 212 Posts

I have an excellent home theater and a good popcorn maker, so I have no reason to risk going to a movie theater right now. Especially since they almost all project only digital now anyway.
Alan Smithee (08-10-20)
Old 08-08-20, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by tanman
What time and day are you going?
The days were Fridays, Sundays, Tuesdays, Thursday. Showtimes were at 3pm, 5pm, 6:30pm, 9:40pm.

Originally Posted by tanman
Also I don't think 20 something y.o. left because it was too scary
It was even the theatre with the reclining couch chairs. Those two must have been so pissed off, thinking the whole time 'If that one sweaty loser hadn't come to this movie we'd be by ourselves and could totally make out right now.'
Old 08-09-20, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 954 Likes on 662 Posts

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen
The days were Fridays, Sundays, Tuesdays, Thursday. Showtimes were at 3pm, 5pm, 6:30pm, 9:40pm.

It was even the theatre with the reclining couch chairs. Those two must have been so pissed off, thinking the whole time 'If that one sweaty loser hadn't come to this movie we'd be by ourselves and could totally make out right now.'
You got it!
Except you're not a loser. Anyone who would risk life and limb to see Jaws on the big screen is definitely not a loser. In my book anyways. Or maybe we're just both losers.

So in the afternoon and evening and still dead quiet. That's good. Most of the times I go around noon so maybe it'll be just as empty.
Old 08-09-20, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 416 Likes on 301 Posts

My local chain theater and the independent theater in North KC has been open since middle of June showing classic movies. I've been to my closest theater three times so far and have watched Ghostbusters, Twister, and The Karate Kid. I haven't been the last few weeks as I haven't had the time on the days they have been open. Our Local Cinemark reopens on August 14th and I'm still waiting for word on the reopening of the Alamo Drafthouse here. I've had a great time the three times I went and look forward to going more in the weeks ahead.
Old 08-09-20, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 383 Likes on 244 Posts

Our drive in (StarLite, Bloomington) has been doing a brisk business.... they're the only screen open anywhere, and they've been showing classic films nightly 7 nights a week, rain or shine. Tonight it's a Dirty Dancing / Mama Mia double feature. Recent films have included Jaws, Princess Bride, Neverending Story, Labyrinth, Army of Darkness, Shrek, Despicable Me, Inside Out, Back To The Future, Ghostbusters, The Goonies, and all three of the Star Wars movies.

Five bucks a head, three bucks per kid, or ten bucks per vehicle... whichever is cheaper. Also, about ever other weekend they've have a broadcasted live concert event on either Saturday or Sunday - the artists are all country, a genre I know nothing about, but I recognized the name Garth Brooks last month. I think those tickets are significantly more expensive - like $80 or $100 a carload - but they've sold out every one.

Their capacity is something around 300 vehicles but they cutoff sales when they get to 2/3rds capacity. You can sit in your car and enjoy the film without a mask, but if your car is open or if you're in the back of your truck/van masks are requried - ditto for hitting the bathroom or the concession stand.

They're rumored to be experimenting with a new model here in a couple of weeks. Orion Pictures is going to be testing out a new distribution model starting in August/September, with films being distributed exclusively to smaller privately-owned theaters, arthouses, and drive-ins, plus offering streaming-at-home options (on what platforms I don't know). Allegedly, Bill and Ted 3 will be showing at the Starlite when it opens in a few weeks... a double-feature on the weekends with the national film followed by a classic film - with just the el-cheapo classic films on weekday nights.
kefrank (08-09-20)
Old 08-09-20, 12:46 PM
Admin

Received 466 Likes on 306 Posts

Thread moved.

On a personal note, movie theaters are not something I plan to do until there is a vaccine or people actually follow health guidelines that bring the virus spread to a minuscule level.
OldBoy (08-13-20)
Old 08-09-20, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 479 Likes on 351 Posts

I'm dying to go see some new movies in the theater.

I'm just not willing to literally die to see them. Or even get really sick. Or sick just a little.

So I'm not going to feel comfortable going to a movie until probably next year.

And that sucks. I really miss going to the movies.
Old 08-09-20, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

Nope not open anywhere around California. The state government here is absolutely terrified of potential spikes. So who knows when they'll open any kind of Indoor recreational entertainment.

And there's still a bunch of idiots here who refuse to be part of the solution.

Eating out and going to the movies are two of my favorite activities and I miss them a lot.
Old 08-09-20, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts

We have some Cinemark theaters and some dine-in theater locations open now. Mostly showing "classics" along with a mix of what looks to be, for lack of a better term, "top tier" direct to video/streaming type movies. I've been tempted as some of the films in their classic line-up include Back to the Future, Raiders, Empire Strikes Back, Goonies. Iron Giant was screened last week, the theater that was showing it had terrible service pre-pandemic and I didn't want to have any issues so I grudgingly passed.
Old 08-09-20, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 76 Likes on 59 Posts

A local chain has sort of opened. They've placed large screens in their parking lots and are doing drive-in style flicks, which I think is a decent idea. Sadly, they've not shown anything of interest yet. I'd love for them to do a back-to-back of Infinity War & Endgame.
Old 08-09-20, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 422 Likes on 291 Posts

Still closed state wide except for drive-ins. Even if they were open... not going anytime soon.
Old 08-09-20, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

Vancouver has very low Covid numbers. The Rio Theatre, an indie theatre down the street from me has been open for awhile and I went and saw First Cow, Kelly Reichardt's new film, which was disappointing. I brought my mask and hand sanitizer and felt the theatre did a good job with their guidelines. . I felt safe. I'll probably go check out Eraserhead which is playing in a few days. There are a handful of other theaters open in the area too showing either classics or the most recent Hollywood films before all this.
Old 08-10-20, 05:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

No and No
Old 08-10-20, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 383 Likes on 244 Posts

My drive-in just posted an upcoming Metallica concert they're planning to air.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/13aJ...EA74EQzKHCh_3k
Old 08-10-20, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 331 Likes on 250 Posts

Sorry, no car stereo can handle that as well as my living room sound system can.
Old 08-10-20, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 809 Likes on 598 Posts

There is a drive-in and a indoor theater open in my county. I won't be attending until I have a vaccine in my body for a month. My Mom, Dad, and one of my oldest friends contracted COVID-19 and they have been terribly ill. I'm not taking any chances.
Old 08-10-20, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 120 Likes on 80 Posts

Our AMC and Cinemark are closed. We have a drive in that's showing classic films each weekend. We do go there usually during the summer, but it's been so rainy this summer we haven't been. There's one theater in the local mall that's open, showing the usual Star Wars, BTTF, Goonies type films. Haven't been, don't plan to.
Old 08-10-20, 08:14 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Very few, and there’s no way I will go to them until this entire fiasco is gone.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.