Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Do writers of bad movies think they are writing a good movie?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Do writers of bad movies think they are writing a good movie?
Yes. (please explain...)
16.67%
No. (please explain...)
8.33%
Depends. (please explain...)
41.67%
Other. (please explain...)
8.33%
What are you high?
25.00%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-20, 06:36 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 907 Likes on 767 Posts

I mean I don’t know how some of this shit makes a theatrical release. Are writers just instructed to right some crap by the studio that copies everything from every movie, with errors galore and not an ounce of for lack of a better word good writing? I mean what is the process? Do they sit back and say, “you know, I just wrote a hell of a good movie.”?

My case, and this is probably bad to start off with is Jason X. Now, this is a bad bad movie. The writing is terrible and littered with blatant errors. Right in beginning when they wake Lexi Doig up, the Dr. says its 2455. We saw her with Jason before the freeze in 2010, as it said it in beginning. So the Dr. is waking up his seller on black market friend saying he found 2 reanimated whatever. And then says she’s 455 to to exact. So she and Jason would have to be frozen in 2000. Fine. I can deal with a stupid blunder or two in a stupid movie.

Then these students are supposed to be training to be drs of some sort. And the one examining Jason is wearing a half a shirt and is hot as hell. While Jason is thawing out, virtually the whole crew is having sex. This is written stuff. How does something like that get the green light? It’s just amazing.

Now, I should disclaim that Jason X is my #1 fav guilty please, but it’s a bad movie. Not Friday the 13th: Part VIII: Jason Takes Manhattan bad, but pretty damn close.

Ever wonder how this shit sees light of day?
Old 08-03-20, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts
Re: Do writers of bad movies think they are writing a good movie?

Sometimes it's not entirely their fault. The director and the producer can affect the writing process.

With a good script, a good director can produce a masterpiece. With the same script, a mediocre director can produce a passable film.
But with a bad script even a good director can’t possibly make a good film.

- Akira Kurosawa
The following 3 users liked this post by inri222:
IBJoel (08-04-20), John Pannozzi (08-10-20), Why So Blu? (08-03-20)
Old 08-03-20, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 419 Likes on 303 Posts

I think the writers of Road House are geniuses but I'm sure other people would say otherwise.
Old 08-03-20, 06:54 PM

That last Akira’s line is what I’m saying. It’s the script. I’m not blaming actors or director. But the writers are writing this stuff and actors just reading.
Old 08-03-20, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Todd Farmer wrote Jason X and I think it's awesome. He also co-wrote the reboot to My Bloody Valentine 3-D, Drive Angry 3-D, and Trick, which for all intents and purposes, are low budget genre films. I give leeway to these of films, because I know what I am getting myself into.

Also, the fact that you love Jason X but use it as your primary example is weird, so...
The following users liked this post:
Goonies85 (08-06-20)
Old 08-03-20, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Aren't most of the most dreadful movies the ones that went though a dozen writers & rewrites? Hard to blame one person in cases like that.
IBJoel (08-04-20)
Old 08-03-20, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 274 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
But the writers are writing this stuff and actors just reading.
Tell an actor they’re “just reading” and they’ll throw you out the window
Ash Ketchum (08-05-20)
Old 08-03-20, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 954 Likes on 662 Posts

It's like any other job right? They can't all be auteurs. There are bad doctors, engineers, maybe one or two bad politicians. Not every movie can be a masterpiece. And just like other professions I'm sure there are varying degrees of self delusion.
Old 08-04-20, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

Probably a majority of the time, screenwriter's expect the movie to be meh and are caught by surprise when a movie is well received by both critics and audiences alike. For example, the screenwriters for Casablanca probably thought they were writing the screenplay for a typical WWII propaganda movie.
Old 08-04-20, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Also, the fact that you love Jason X but use it as your primary example is weird, so...
just because i like it as a guilty pleasure, doesn't make me oblivious to the fact that it is a fucking awful movie with bad writing, direction, acting. i like it like i like watching a trainwreck. not really, but i think i made my reasons apparent in first post...
Old 08-04-20, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts

I think when someone is scripting something like a Friday the 13th sequel, they are under no illusion that they're writing for Masterpiece Theatre.

But when someone is writing a script for something like Ishtar or Showgirls, almost everyone involved with the movie -- the screenwriter, actors, director, producers -- thinks they're crafting a masterpiece. At least until they see a workprint...
Old 08-04-20, 12:05 PM
Administrator

Received 1,068 Likes on 621 Posts

I think maybe not every writer thinks they're writing a good movie, but most likely believe they are writing an effective movie. What I mean by that is, what is the goal of the screenplay? Is it to win an Oscar? Make a bunch of money? Make a passable entry in a franchise to maintain the rights? Simply get sold? There could also be cases where a writer makes something they think is bad, but for whatever reason, an executive eats it up and greenlights it.

And as Michael Corvin says, there are hardly any scripts these days that aren't touched up, at the very least.
Old 08-04-20, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,196 Likes on 2,063 Posts

I’m sure it’s similar to fiction writers. You have your J.D. Salingers and James Baldwins who are legitimately great writers and have earned numerous awards. Then you have your Michael Crichtons, James Pattersons, and Stephen Kings who have been very successful in writing fun, entertaining stories that are well received by consumers but don’t necessarily write hoping for a Pulitzer. Then you have your trashy romance writers (I don’t know any of these writers so I’ll just say your “Joan Wilders” ). They know exactly what they’re writing but are making a decent living and having success with their niche.

The biggest difference in movies is that you have a studio willing to spend $200 million on movies but will roll that money into a shitty script. You’d think for that kind of money studios would make sure they the best script available before dropping that kind of cash.

I guess there’s a place for all types of movies and all types of writers. Who says every movie needs to be Citizen Kane?

Last edited by GoldenJCJ; 08-04-20 at 12:15 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by GoldenJCJ:
IBJoel (08-04-20), milo bloom (08-04-20)
Old 08-04-20, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,031 Posts

I have to think it's all the people touching the script along the way that can mess it up. I'm sure we've all heard the stories of a how the studio has notes, the producers make changes, the actor on set wants to do something different. They may start with a great story, but along the way it gets too many tweaks and loses whatever it had that made it good.

Spoiler:
Joan Wilders indeed....

Old 08-04-20, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

So a lot of the time you're mainly writing what you think a studio will buy. You're deliberately writing with an eye toward commercial prospects and budget.
IBJoel (08-05-20)
Old 08-05-20, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

To answer the OP: yes and no.

You should try sometime. I’ve done it. And taken a shot at producing independently. It didn’t get far but it was an experience. And I plan to try again when I have money to back it again.
IBJoel (08-05-20)
Old 08-05-20, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
I’m sure it’s similar to fiction writers. You have your J.D. Salingers and James Baldwins who are legitimately great writers and have earned numerous awards. Then you have your Michael Crichtons, James Pattersons, and Stephen Kings who have been very successful in writing fun, entertaining stories that are well received by consumers but don’t necessarily write hoping for a Pulitzer. Then you have your trashy romance writers (I don’t know any of these writers so I’ll just say your “Joan Wilders” ). They know exactly what they’re writing but are making a decent living and having success with their niche.

The biggest difference in movies is that you have a studio willing to spend $200 million on movies but will roll that money into a shitty script. You’d think for that kind of money studios would make sure they the best script available before dropping that kind of cash.

I guess there’s a place for all types of movies and all types of writers. Who says every movie needs to be Citizen Kane?
I would push back on Crichton, he was a fantastic writer. Just because he wrote books to be commercially succesful doesnt mean he was not a brilliant author.
tanman (08-05-20)
Old 08-05-20, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

I recently read all of Peter Bogdanovich's interviews with Howard Hawks and it's the best thing of its type I've ever read. Hawks contributed to almost every script of every movie he did, rarely if ever taking credit. He had trouble on every script and recruited all sorts of writers, William Faulkner included, to help him out. When it didn't work out the way he wanted he usually blamed himself but sometimes the casting. But it's fascinating to read just how difficult the process was back in the Golden Age when they had tons of writers under contract and how the studios have the same problems today, when they have to hire "script doctors" for way more than they paid back in the studio era.
IBJoel (08-06-20)
Old 08-05-20, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,461 Likes on 930 Posts

Originally Posted by ddrknghtrtns
Probably a majority of the time, screenwriter's expect the movie to be meh and are caught by surprise when a movie is well received by both critics and audiences alike. For example, the screenwriters for Casablanca probably thought they were writing the screenplay for a typical WWII propaganda movie.
I read an article by the guy who wrote Casablanca. They were only a day or two ahead of the shooting schedule, getting pressured, and were stuck on what to do next. When he came up with "Round up the usual suspects" the rest of the story fell into place.

I've also heard a story about Golan-Globus productions. If the shoot was behind schedule, Menacham Golan would storm onto the set and tear out pages of the shooting script until they were caught up. No wonder some Chuck Norris movies didn't make any sense. It wasn't the scriptwriter's fault.

Old 08-05-20, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Nick Danger
I've also heard a story about Golan-Globus productions. If the shoot was behind schedule, Menacham Golan would storm onto the set and tear out pages of the shooting script until they were caught up. No wonder some Chuck Norris movies didn't make any sense. It wasn't the scriptwriter's fault.
It was the 80's. Snort enough cocaine and your brain will fill in the holes.
The following 2 users liked this post by Troy Stiffler:
ddrknghtrtns (08-05-20), tanman (08-05-20)
Old 08-05-20, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler
It was the 80's. Snort enough cocaine and your brain will fill in the holes.
I was thinking this the other day. There were probably plenty of coked up writers thinking they were writing the next Oscar winner.
Old 08-05-20, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

People usually don't set out to make boring movies. Good or bad? Depends on their goal.
Old 08-05-20, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I was thinking this the other day. There were probably plenty of coked up writers thinking they were writing the next Oscar winner.
And then you have Aaron Sorkin who needed to be coked up to write an Oscar winner...
Old 08-06-20, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I think the modern thing is kale smoothies and adderall.
Old 08-06-20, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by johnnysd
I would push back on Crichton, he was a fantastic writer. Just because he wrote books to be commercially succesful doesnt mean he was not a brilliant author.
I’m certainly not knocking Crichton. He’s been one of my favorite authors since I was a teenager. I think he got kind of stuck in his plot structure with evil corporation/man vs. nature/ etc. but the guy had an amazingly creative mind and his ideas were always wonderful to watch unfold.

My point was that although he was an awesomely entertaining writer, no one was expecting him to be picking up the Man Booker International Prize for any of his novels.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.