DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Palm Springs (2020, s: Samberg, Milioti, Simmons) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/650857-palm-springs-2020-s-samberg-milioti-simmons.html)

RichC2 07-10-20 09:09 AM

Palm Springs (2020, s: Samberg, Milioti, Simmons)

Didn't see a thread, it debuts today on Hulu so I'm not sure where this post would go, but it's a movie. Stars Andy Samberg, Cristin Milioti and JK Simmons. Apparently it's the most a movie has ever fetched at Sundance.

Currently sitting at 97% on rottentomatoes with 76 reviews: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/palm_springs_2020

I generally find the premise fun so we'll see how this goes.

Count Dooku 07-10-20 10:00 AM

Re: Palm Springs (2020, s: Samberg, Milioti, Simmons)

I thought this might be a fun thing to throw away some time with while being stuck at home, but now it turns out it is probably really good. Now I am very much looking forward to it. And Cristin Milioti, yum!

Count Dooku 07-10-20 10:05 AM

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...9816abecd2.jpg

JeffTheAlpaca 07-10-20 06:09 PM

Wish it was on Netflix

Decker 07-10-20 06:23 PM

Looks good. Will watch tonight I think. Hope there aren't a ton of commercials on my "limited commercial" plan. I never watch movies on Hulu.

Decker 07-10-20 11:52 PM

Okay, I really enjoyed that. Kind of wish I hadn’t watched the trailer as it’s probably better to go in as cold as possible. Still it was fun and sweet. Samberg and Milioti have nice chemistry together. Love that it was only 90 minutes so it doesn’t overstay its welcome. Also one 15 second commercial before and none during the show. That was nice.

Funny thing : My daughter tells me she did an app that tells which celebrity she looks most like and it came back Cristin Milioti. My celebrity doppelgänger, at least when we were both in our 20s and 30s was Peter Gallagher. In this movie Gallagher plays Milioti’s father. So that’s kind of a trip.

MLBFan24 07-11-20 12:34 AM

I went into this as a blind viewing and only decided to watch because I like Brooklyn 99 and Andy Samberg.

I had no idea what the plot was and when it was revealed, I was instantly hooked.

Love this plot device, great character actors, and the soundtrack was great.

thematahara 07-11-20 06:36 AM

Best movie Ive seen this year.

RichC2 07-11-20 03:40 PM

This was really entertaining, felt like a mix of other movies in the genre but had enough going on to make it stand out. Very sweet. Emphatic period.

Inhumans99 07-11-20 06:00 PM

I just noted in the last movie you have watched thread that this is a must see if you have Hulu. It will probably end up on several top 10 ten lists later this year,

stingermck 07-11-20 09:19 PM

Great movie. Samberg and Milioti had great chemistry and very cute together.

Count Dooku 07-11-20 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by MLBFan24 (Post 13770787)
I had no idea what the plot was and when it was revealed, I was instantly hooked.

I just wish when Samberg had to explain it to Miloti, he had just used Groundhog Day as a reference. Why pretend that movie doesn't exist?

Daytripper 07-11-20 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by RichC2 (Post 13770971)
This was really entertaining, felt like a mix of other movies in the genre but had enough going on to make it stand out. Very sweet. Emphatic period.

Originally Posted by stingermck (Post 13771101)
Great movie. Samberg and Milioti had great chemistry and very cute together.

Agree to both. I loved it. Samberg and Milioti had amazing chemistry together. I hope the work together again at some point. This was such a fun and original film. Thumbs way up.

MLBFan24 07-11-20 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by Count Dooku (Post 13771111)
I just wish when Samberg had to explain it to Miloti, he had just used Groundhog Day as a reference. Why pretend that movie doesn't exist?

yea, I was expecting that too. Most new movies reference real old life movies as a joke

OldBoy 07-11-20 11:40 PM

Absolutely amazing. Best rom-com since Crazy Rich Asians, but much smaller film. It was the highest paid for movie at Sundance this year. Just perfect! So enjoyable and Samberg and Milioti were so delightful together. Very reminiscent of another favorite of mine, Wristcutters: A Love Story. Love and have seen that one so many times. I have a feeling, Palm Springs will be similar. Going in cold was best way to go. Thoroughly enjoyed. Just pure fun, updates conventions and borrows from others. Worked so well. This is a must, especially during this time. I wasn’t even going to finish in one sitting, but couldn’t help it. I mean only lean 83 minutes without credits, but I was going to watch a little, but became utterly and compulsively hooked.

4/5 stars

joeblow69 07-12-20 09:48 AM

Since I live in Palm Springs, I was excited to see this movie, until I just found out that it wasn't shot in Palm Springs at all. LAME.

Decker 07-12-20 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by joeblow69 (Post 13771221)
Since I live in Palm Springs, I was excited to see this movie, until I just found out that it wasn't shot in Palm Springs at all. LAME.

It doesn’t look like Palm Springs either. Much more like the desert Southwest. Was it shot in NM?

OldBoy 07-12-20 10:04 AM

yeah, because every single movie is shot at the exact location mentioned in the movie or title...

TomOpus 07-12-20 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by joeblow69 (Post 13771221)

Originally Posted by Decker (Post 13771228)
It doesn’t look like Palm Springs either. Much more like the desert Southwest. Was it shot in NM?

According to Wikipedia:

The project was announced in November 2018 after it secured a tax credit to film in California, namely the Palm Springs area.

joeblow69 07-12-20 10:21 AM

The one thing missing from Andy Samberg's 'Palm Springs' movie? The city itself

I already knew that Andy Samberg's"Palm Springs," which was released Friday on Hulu, wasn't shot in Palm Springs.

But after watching it, I was surprised to learn there isn't even an ounce of anything Palm Springs-related in the movie.

They never mention it. They don't have characters that are supposed to be indicative of a Palm Springs type. They don't have a bachelorette party pretend to go to a downtown made to look like Palm Springs. They don't have an off-handed mention of the Tram or Coachella or mid-century modern architecture. There's no throw-away shot of the San Jacinto Mountains. Nothing.

The movie, which was primarily shot in Santa Clarita, Calif., just as easily could've been called "Phoenix" or "Albuquerque," or anywhere that might host a wedding and have a desert nearby. In fact, it could've been called "Irvine," a city which gets more mention in the movie than Palm Springs.
The San Jacinto mountains pretty much surround the city. Here's a shot of the mountains from my back yard. If there's no mountains in the movie, it's just not Palm Springs.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...f2e755e835.jpg

RichC2 07-12-20 11:25 AM

I mean, there are mountains in the movie - it plays to one of the plot points, just maybe the wrong ones. That said, most of the movie takes place inside non-descript bars, venues and burrito food trucks.

But yeah, the title has no effect on the movie whatsoever other than being in the desert and sounding quirky.

joeblow69 07-12-20 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by RichC2 (Post 13771263)
But yeah, the title has no effect on the movie whatsoever other than being in the desert and sounding quirky.

It's a shame, because they ALMOST got me to watch this, despite Samberg's very punchable face.

RichC2 07-12-20 11:38 AM

:lol: That's fair, they did kind of just give the city the middle finger.

https://media.giphy.com/media/hSXORo...RmXp/giphy.gif

sherm42 07-12-20 04:38 PM

So...she called Roy and told him how to get out of the time loop right? After her wedding speech, she was leaving him a message, right?

RichC2 07-12-20 04:40 PM

Yeah, there's a mid-credit scene that confirms that.