DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Do you remember the Saturday movies on your local VHF and UHF stations? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/650837-do-you-remember-saturday-movies-your-local-vhf-uhf-stations.html)

JeffTheAlpaca 07-06-20 09:17 PM

Do you remember the Saturday movies on your local VHF and UHF stations?

Anyone remember watching movies on your local UHF or VHF station on a Saturday afternoon?

What are the ones you remember?

If you had no car you had no choice.

Channel 2 and maybe channel 36 and 44 would show movies like Easy Money, The Couch Trip, Scarface (edited of course), A Chuck Norris action flick, and others.

Maybe when FOX became more prominent and started scheduling sports in those time slots those movies disappeared.

Bluelitespecial 07-06-20 09:21 PM

Re: Do you remember the Saturday movies on your local VHF and UHF stations?

Our Fox Station showed Baywatch on Saturday afternoons. I remember seeing Disney's The Sword and The Stone and Robin Hood on the UHF channel.

andicus 07-06-20 09:25 PM

I remember 'Movie for a Sunday Afternoon' on our local (Buffalo) ABC station, WKBW (channel 7).

Typical fare was Tarzan flics, as well as stuff like Creature From the Black Lagoon, sometimes Abbot and Costello.

That was in the '70s, for me. This was from a later period:

Alan Smithee 07-06-20 10:36 PM

Count Dooku 07-07-20 01:17 PM

I remember watching Jerry Lewis movies and Martin & Lewis movies over and over again.
Pardners
The Caddy
Living It Up
You're Never Too Young
Money From Home
The Ladies Man
Rock a Bye Baby
The Geisha Boy
Cinderfella
Visit to a Small Planet
The Delicate Delinquent
Way Way Out

ddrknghtrtns 07-07-20 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by Count Dooku (Post 13768816)
I remember watching Jerry Lewis movies and Martin & Lewis movies over and over again.
Pardners
The Caddy
Living It Up
You're Never Too Young
Money From Home
The Ladies Man
Rock a Bye Baby
The Geisha Boy
Cinderfella
Visit to a Small Planet
The Delicate Delinquent
Way Way Out

Comedy Central was showing these every Saturday morning back in the 90's.

Giantrobo 07-07-20 01:57 PM

PBS was, maybe still is, Channel 28 here in LA and they used to show films on Saturdays. It was were I discovered "Seven Samurai" back in the day.

Daytripper 07-07-20 03:18 PM

Yes! As someone mentioned, the Tarzan and Abbott and Costello films, Blondie and Dagwood, all of the Universal monster movies. Although that same channel played those more late at night.

Count Dooku 07-07-20 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by ddrknghtrtns (Post 13768827)
Comedy Central was showing these every Saturday morning back in the 90's.

Yeah, I was still a child in the 90s. Yeah, that's the ticket.
In fact, I'm so young, I don't even know what "that's the ticket" is a reference to!

Count Dooku 07-07-20 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by Giantrobo (Post 13768839)
It was where I discovered "Seven Samurai" back in the day.

Giantrobo was watching Seven Samurai and I was watching The Geisha Boy. :lol:

PhantomStranger 07-07-20 03:51 PM

I remember seeing a wide variety of b-movie fare and less popular, more cultish Hollywood flicks. Gave me a life-long love of the Shaw Brothers and badly dubbed kung-fu movies from Hong Kong. I was blown away the first time I saw a Shaw Brothers movie named Kid With The Golden Arm. It's also how I became familiar with Godzilla films from Japan.

Sonny Corinthos 07-07-20 04:16 PM

Ours showed all of the old Universal Horror films. Good times...

Inhumans99 07-07-20 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger (Post 13768889)
I remember seeing a wide variety of b-movie fare and less popular, more cultish Hollywood flicks. Gave me a life-long love of the Shaw Brothers and badly dubbed kung-fu movies from Hong Kong. I was blown away the first time I saw a Shaw Brothers movie named Kid With The Golden Arm. It's also how I became familiar with Godzilla films from Japan.

That would have also been my experience Phantom, turning on the TV on a Saturday afternoon in the 80s and stumbling onto what I now know were usually Shaw Brothers kung-fu movies I was watching, along with Godzilla films, and other oddities (such as the fact that I seem to remember seeing a bit of a film where a girl throws a basketball at someones head so fast the head explodes...slightly edited for TV viewing of course).

This would have been a station in Los Angeles as I grew up in the San Fernando Valley. While I do not want to go back in time and like having lots of choices and the ability to time-shift my viewing with ease via Tivos and other devices there was something special about being able to turn on the tv and stumble into the gonzo ending of films like the The Boxer From Shantung, or those scenes I remember from Master Of The Flying Guillotine.

It took me years to figure out the name of the film that is The Boxer From Shantung, but it always stuck in my memory as that film where a guy gets an ax tossed into his stomach and goes on to fight a jillion henchman...just insane bonkers stuff. I love that this stuff made its way onto tv in the 80s without having to be a cable subscriber (my family pretty much never subscribed to cable until things like DVRs snuck up on us).

Then there was the Family Film Festival on Sunday afternoons that me and my siblings would usually sit-down on the floor to watch after going to church where I grew up watching some of the more obscure Disney flicks, along with the dubbed Pippi Longstocking films which were just so much fun to watch as a kid.

Mondo Kane 07-07-20 06:51 PM

I don't remember what was UHF & VHF but:

KHJ:
Black Belt Theater & Movie Macabre (Elvira)

KTLA:
Godzilla movies & Planet of the Apes franchise

KCOP:
Westerns and War films (This channel would let a lot of cussing slide)

rbrown498 07-07-20 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by Inhumans99 (Post 13768934)
That would have also been my experience Phantom, turning on the TV on a Saturday afternoon in the 80s and stumbling onto what I now know were usually Shaw Brothers kung-fu movies I was watching, along with Godzilla films, and other oddities (such as the fact that I seem to remember seeing a bit of a film where a girl throws a basketball at someones head so fast the head explodes...slightly edited for TV viewing of course).

That scene is from Wes Craven's Deadly Friend; here's the scene in all of its unedited glory:

TheBigDave 07-07-20 09:43 PM

In the early 70's, my mother would drop us off at the public library every Saturday. They would show a movie for the kids. For $0.10 you'd get a bag of popcorn and a cup of lemonade. That's where I saw all the Harryhausen movies. I remember watching Mysterious Island, Jason & The Argonauts, and the Sinbad movies.

Inhumans99 07-08-20 10:12 AM

Oh yeah...TheBigDave's post serves as a reminder that I believe some of the classic Harryhausen films were part of the films in rotation for the Sunday afternoon family film festival (hosted by late and great Tom Hatten and on another older thread I told the story when he came to my elementary school...cool guy in real life), as I definitely remember the film where the protagonists fight some skeletons (a very classic/iconic movie scene as I learned much later in my life).

Finally, rbrown498...yes, I had forgot that several years back I learned it was a scene from this film (a movie I never watched to completion) but this is the first time I watched the scene in all its unedited and silly glory. The tv airing cut away before the headless body started flailing around the living room spurting out blood from the neck but they certainly showed all (or very nearly all of) the actual head explosion from the basketball's impact.

Norm de Plume 07-08-20 05:41 PM

Up here, we had the incomparably enthusiastic, avuncular Elwy Yost hosting "Saturday Night at the Movies" (love that theme music, too) on the ever-wonderful public-TV channel, TVOntario. I always loved when Yost, at the end of his intros, said some variation of, "And now, ladies and gentlemen, the time has come to dim your lights, put up your feet, and enjoy tonight's first movie".

Dr. DVD 07-08-20 08:16 PM

I remember seeing the Sabu version of "The Jungle Book" several times. Also caught quite a few old school universal movies and Godzilla/Gamera flicks as well.

Anyone else have WGN from Chicago with their cable providers as a kid? I remember on Sunday afternoons they would do some kind of Literary Classics theater and show movies like "War of the Worlds" or "Journey to the Center of the Earth".