Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Rocky IV: The Director's Cut in the works from Stallone

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 07-03-20, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 361 Likes on 271 Posts

Sylvester Stallone has revealed that he is working on a director's cut of Rocky IV, which he says will be "amazing."
Stallone posted an image to promote the extended cut of Rambo: Last Blood on his Instagram page, prompting one fan to ask whether a director's cut of Rocky Balboa would ever be released. In response, Stallone admitted that he is "not doing that," however, he did give his fans another reason to fist pump the air.

"I am doing a directors cut on Rocky IV which will be amazing!!!!!" he revealed in the same comment.

Rocky IV, one of the more triumphant entries in the iconic sports-film franchise, sees Rocky Balboa's former nemesis and best friend, Apollo Creed, killed in a fight with a smarmy Russian fighter. In the aftermath, Rocky sets out on a path of revenge as he heads to Russia to take down Ivan Drago.

The 1985 film was a total knockout success at the box office, earning more than $300m worldwide, the most of any Rocky film. It also held the top spot as the highest-grossing sports film of all time, right up until the release of the biographical sports drama The Blind Side in 2009.

Here's the IG post that was the source of Sly's comment:

Old 07-03-20, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 116 Likes on 103 Posts
Re: Rocky IV: The Director's Cut in the works from Stallone

I'm in! More montages please!
The following 2 users liked this post by Why So Blu?:
IBJoel (07-04-20), JeremyM (07-03-20)
Old 07-03-20, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 146 Likes on 116 Posts

Please let this be the Snyder Cut.
Old 07-03-20, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 168 Likes on 138 Posts

Could be cool. I’ll check it out once it releases.
Old 07-03-20, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 63 Likes on 47 Posts

I want the extended dialogue to “Dragggggggoooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!”
Old 07-03-20, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm sure this new version will include the english subtitles to what the Russian ring announcer is REALLY saying during Rocky's ending speech.
Old 07-03-20, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I wonder if we'll see a flood of these cuts to get "new" material out right now with studios still basically shut down.

Also, I hope Paulie's girlfriend/robot will be edited out.
Old 07-03-20, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 736 Likes on 446 Posts

Director's cut? I want trainer's cut.

Old 07-03-20, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 168 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by JeremyM View Post
I wonder if we'll see a flood of these cuts to get "new" material out right now with studios still basically shut down.

Honestly depending on if they’re worthwhile or not I don’t have a problem with new cuts of some older films. As long as the original cuts remain available I see no issue. Might get overdone at some point, but we aren’t getting a ton of new content at the moment at least.

I actually just posted a while ago in the Batman Forever thread a link to an article I saw earlier where Kevin Smith claims WB has a cut of that film which is three hours long. Could at least be interesting to see.
The following users liked this post:
JeremyM (07-04-20)
Old 07-03-20, 05:07 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 105 Likes on 91 Posts

if yous can change and i's can change then we alls can change!
Old 07-03-20, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 144 Likes on 112 Posts

I hope they cut that one second shot of Drago being given steroids. It honestly ruins the film.
Old 07-03-20, 09:26 PM
Premium Member

Received 72 Likes on 57 Posts

I disagree, I think it is an important part to showing how they each are getting to the end game in their own ways.
Old 07-03-20, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think it makes Rocky look like he’s going up against a cheater and it weakens the match up.
Old 07-03-20, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
I hope they cut that one second shot of Drago being given steroids. It honestly ruins the film.
I guess it’s what makes the film what it is, a great action revenge sequel, and gave us a classic 80s villain. Drago is an unfeeling, dope taking, murderer. And it was also a great piece of American pride/anti-Communist propaganda.

But it does cheapen the whole thing and undermine the films message at the end.

Old 07-03-20, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 736 Likes on 446 Posts

You mean the ending when an arena full of Soviets in Moscow cheer for the American beating up their National hero in front of the President of the Soviet Union? Yeah, I would hate for that to feel false.

Besides the fact that the Soviets, and then the Russians have been rampant cheaters for 30 years and are now barred from the Olympics. That part of the movie feels as authentic as anything else.

I reviewed that movie for my school newspaper. God I wish I still could find a copy of my review.
Old 07-04-20, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
You mean the ending when an arena full of Soviets in Moscow cheer for the American beating up their National hero in front of the President of the Soviet Union? Yeah, I would hate for that to feel false.
No, I mean the message of the ending. Rocky Balboa’s speech makes it seem like their on equal footing, and that he needed to change as did they, a metaphor for the US and the USSR.

By showing Drago cheating, and mercilessly killing Apollo while his wife Ludmilla smirks, they’re clearly the villains they’re made out to be by Paulie and by the USA. Rocky and the US didn’t need to change for shit regarding how the Soviet Union was perceived.

Besides the fact that the Soviets, and then the Russians have been rampant cheaters for 30 years and are now barred from the Olympics. That part of the movie feels as authentic as anything else.
I was thinking about that earlier and I agree.

But Rocky’s speech was too PC. He should have trash talked while up there like Reagan would, and spit on Marxism/Leninism.

Anyway, IV is my favorite sequel in the franchise. That was the perfect high note to end on. I’ll check out the Director’s Cut.
Old 07-04-20, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by brayzie View Post
No, I mean the message of the ending. Rocky Balboa’s speech makes it seem like their on equal footing, and that he needed to change as did they, a metaphor for the US and the USSR.

By showing Drago cheating, and mercilessly killing Apollo while his wife Ludmilla smirks, they’re clearly the villains they’re made out to be by Paulie and by the USA. Rocky and the US didn’t need to change for shit regarding how the Soviet Union was perceived.

I was thinking about that earlier and I agree.

But Rocky’s speech was too PC. He should have trash talked while up there like Reagan would, and spit on Marxism/Leninism.

Anyway, IV is my favorite sequel in the franchise. That was the perfect high note to end on. I’ll check out the Director’s Cut.

I feel Creed 2 kind of corrected some of these things in a more realistic manner. After losing Drago went on to a life of disgrace and you feel that the true villain was always his wife trying to make him what she felt he should be, the same with his son. From a story and character standpoint, Creed 2 is actually much better than Rocky IV , at least IMO.
JeremyM (07-08-20)
Old 07-04-20, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Besides the fact that the Soviets, and then the Russians have been rampant cheaters for 30 years and are now barred from the Olympics. That part of the movie feels as authentic as anything else
This can not be denied. You are a 100% right. But just as Brayzie said so well, it fucks up the movie’s message.
Old 07-04-20, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts

Didn't we already see the missing scenes in Rocky IV on the Blu-ray (or somewhere)? I remember a deleted scene where Rocky has to give up the belt in order to fight Drago because the boxing commission wouldn't approve the fight.
Old 07-04-20, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by JeremyM View Post

I hope the extended sex scene between them will be edited back in.
Old 07-06-20, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If any Rocky movie needs a new cut by Stallone, it's Rocky 5. There was a 'director's screener cut' floating around the net years ago that made the film much darker while removing all the rap music.

Is this Rambo Extended Cut the same cut where he helps the police rescue the hikers in the beginning of the movie?
Old 07-06-20, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD View Post
I feel Creed 2 kind of corrected some of these things in a more realistic manner. After losing Drago went on to a life of disgrace and you feel that the true villain was always his wife trying to make him what she felt he should be, the same with his son. From a story and character standpoint, Creed 2 is actually much better than Rocky IV , at least IMO.
I hated Rocky V and have no inclination to watch Rock Balboa. But Creed and Creed II seem like the best way to continue the series, and if they wanted, to give Rocky a proper fair well.

Rocky V was almost a superhero movie, so going to a modest, back-to-basics that takes place immediately after just wasn't going to work. But ignoring that one and the one after it, and jumping to Creed makes perfect sense. I like the idea that they explore Ivan Drago's motivations and why he turned out that way.
Old 07-06-20, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 232 Likes on 166 Posts

^ You’re missing out. Rocky Balboa is great and Stallone gives Rocky a proper send off after the shit show that is Rocky V. It’s probably my favorite of the series.

Creed and Creed 2 are decent but they don’t feel like a continuation of Rocky so much as a new series with Adonis. Rocky Balboa is the end of the Rocky movies, as far as I’m concerned.
JeremyM (07-08-20)
Old 07-07-20, 02:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ View Post
^ You’re missing out. Rocky Balboa is great and Stallone gives Rocky a proper send off after the shit show that is Rocky V. It’s probably my favorite of the series.
Maybe I will check it out. My buddy is a big Rocky fan, but like me, he hates Rocky V but says Rocky Balboa was great.

Creed and Creed 2 are decent but they don’t feel like a continuation of Rocky so much as a new series with Adonis. Rocky Balboa is the end of the Rocky movies, as far as I’m concerned.
That's funny, I would have assumed from the premise of those films that Adonis's story is better than a 60 year old Rocky going toe-to-toe with an in-his-prime champion. Now I want to see all three just to compare.
Old 07-07-20, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 232 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by brayzie View Post
Maybe I will check it out. My buddy is a big Rocky fan, but like me, he hates Rocky V but says Rocky Balboa was great.

That's funny, I would have assumed from the premise of those films that Adonis's story is better than a 60 year old Rocky going toe-to-toe with an in-his-prime champion. Now I want to see all three just to compare.
Check it out. I don’t think you’ll be disappointed. However, if you’re looking for a high stakes boxing match, this movie ain’t it. The fight itself is secondary to Rocky’s story.

Outside of maybe Cop Land, Rocky Balboa has Stallone’s best performance.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.