DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Rocky IV: Rocky vs. Drago — The Ultimate Director's Cut (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/650817-rocky-iv-rocky-vs-drago-%97-ultimate-directors-cut.html)

Mabuse 07-07-20 09:42 AM

re: Rocky IV: Rocky vs. Drago — The Ultimate Director's Cut

Rocky Balboa is like the only real sequel to Rocky. It matches that films patient and carful storytelling.

rennervision 07-07-20 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by Mabuse (Post 13768674)
Rocky Balboa is like the only real sequel to Rocky. It matches that films patient and carful storytelling.

I feel like Rock II works if you view Rock & Rocky II as a 4 hour movie with an intermission in between. Otherwise - Rocky II feels like a cash grab.

Geofferson 07-08-20 08:50 AM

I caught a few minutes of Rocky Balboa on TV the other day. I was reminded of how genuine it came across. I definitely need to revisit it in its entirety -- haven't watched it since seeing it in the theatre.

I like II, III and IV on their own merits. V was complete crap. Wasn't aware of a director's cut of V floating around years back. I'm all in wanting to see more footage of IV.

JeremyM 07-08-20 04:09 PM

Rocky Balboa is amazing. At one point, he was going to release a director's cut of that, then realized it didn't need it. He reiterated that he still wasn't planning on one when he announced the cut for Rocky IV.

DJariya 08-30-20 04:15 PM

Artman 08-31-20 12:47 AM

Pretty cool! I'll never argue with more available cuts of films. Despite it's popularity, this has always been the thinnest of story lines, held together by music video montages. I'd love to get a little more depth, even if it slows the film down. And if Sly wanted to cut the robot out I wouldn't mind...

I'd also love a 45th anniversary release of the series next year (digital/blu-ray) with some more interviews of (available) cast/crew. (Though I forgot I still need to check out the recent doc)

DJariya 08-31-20 12:58 AM

Apparently Stallone is going to delete Paulie's stupid robot in this cut.

Rob V 08-31-20 07:07 AM

The Lamborghini montage is classic! Who doesn't get goose bumps when those synthetic drums start and that bass kicks in as Sly fires up the Lambo?

I'll buy the hell out of this cut!

DJariya 02-17-21 09:51 PM

Behind the scenes on the making of this new edit. This is a compilation of video from Stallone's social media posts from his edit sessions.

OldBoy 02-17-21 09:58 PM

Do we know when this is coming out?

DJariya 02-17-21 10:07 PM

This was from last week

dex14 02-17-21 10:09 PM

More montage!

Why So Blu? 02-17-21 10:40 PM

The intro with Drago and Rocky punching at the same time looks cool. I wonder if they'll restore that and remove the mechanical boxing gloves?

TheMovieman 02-18-21 01:05 AM

I hope this comes to Blu-ray, can add it alongside my Rocky Collection set.

coli 02-18-21 06:50 AM

While I enjoy Rocky 4, it is pure 1980's formula that appealed to the MTV teenage generation like myself at the time. If there is enough deleted footage that slows down the movie and adds more dramatic/smaller scenes to it, than it could really boost the overall quality. Right now, Rocky 4 is just a pure guilty pleasure movie that is fun and ridiculous. If Sly can remake the movie so it's fun and dramatic, and less ridiculous, that would be interesting to see.

E Unit 02-18-21 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? (Post 13892892)
The intro with Drago and Rocky punching at the same time looks cool. I wonder if they'll restore that and remove the mechanical boxing gloves?

Then were will he put the explosion? We need the mechanical boxing gloves

Artman 02-18-21 08:51 AM

Understandable the delay, a 36th anniversary release works just as well! Could he try to update V as well? (lol, he probably can't since he didn't direct or produce, but still)

DJariya 04-20-21 09:11 PM

Newest update from Stallone. This is going to be titled “Rocky vs Drago: The ultimate director’s cut”

This footage is from the behind the scenes documentary about this new cut.

Mike86 04-20-21 09:24 PM

Kinda forgot about this. Still looking forward to checking it out whenever it releases.

Artman 04-20-21 09:39 PM

Thanks Djariya for the updates, still looking forward to this! Ultimately the title is meaningless, I would suspect there's some licensing/contract issues involved....which leads me to wonder, can they even reuse the songs? I would guess maybe the point is to re-edit this film in a more modern style, without the reliance on the music video 80's vibe. I wonder if Vince DiCola has been involved with any new score approvals?

dsa_shea 04-20-21 09:44 PM

Let's get some Rocky in 4k while we're at it.

Rob V 04-21-21 07:04 AM

Stallone is a treasure... it's a shame that he's in his 70s but AWESOME that he's still giving us all this goodness when he could easily ride into the sunset.

JeffTheAlpaca 04-21-21 06:55 PM

It will be hard to top Rocky IV since it is perfect the way it was.

Dr. DVD 04-21-21 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by rennervision (Post 13768969)
I feel like Rock II works if you view Rock & Rocky II as a 4 hour movie with an intermission in between. Otherwise - Rocky II feels like a cash grab.

I think Rocky I works on its own, and the sequels work with II and III. Leave out everything after those . Granted, I enjoy the other installments (V excluded), but I remember reading that Stallone did think of a trilogy after the success of the first one and III works as a conclusion. It's basically the story of both Rocky and Apollo and how they must eventually overcome their differences and work together.

JZ1276 04-23-21 01:38 AM

This title makes no sense. There's never been a Rocky v. Drago regular cut so how could there be an Ultimate Director's Cut ?? Rocky IV: Director's Cut is better.