DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   American Underdog (The Kurt Warner story) -- S: Zachary Levi (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/650801-american-underdog-kurt-warner-story-s-zachary-levi.html)

DJariya 07-01-20 12:09 PM

American Underdog (The Kurt Warner story) -- S: Zachary Levi

https://collider.com/zachary-levi-ku...ican-underdog/

Shazam! star Zachary Levi is set to play former NFL star Kurt Warner in the inspirational sports drama American Underdog from Lionsgate and the Erwin brothers’ Kingdom Story Company, it was announced Wednesday.

Jon Erwin and Andrew Erwin will direct from a script credited to David Aaron Cohen (Friday Night Lights), Jon Gunn (I Still Believe) and Jon Erwin. The Erwin brothers will produce with Kevin Downes and Mark Ciardi, the latter of whom is no stranger to sports movies, having produced Invincible and The Rookie. Kurt and Brenda Warner will co-produce the film, which is based on interviews with the Hall of Fame quarterback as well as his memoir, All Things Possible: My Story of Faith, Football and the First Miracle Season.

American Underdog chronicles the incredible true story of quarterback Kurt Warner, who went from stocking shelves at a supermarket to become a two-time NFL MVP and Super Bowl MVP before being elected to the Pro Football Hall of Fame in Canton, Ohio. Levi is a strong choice to play Warner, as he’s a rising star with the right physique to play a pro athlete, and the fact that the two look alike certainly doesn’t hurt.

“Kurt’s story is one of relentless faith — in his own abilities but even more so in a higher power. When I read Kurt’s story, I identified with the quiet strength he found to persevere — that’s something I think anybody can recognize in their own lives,” said Levi. “This is the kind of underdog story that sports movies are all about, and the fact that it’s true makes it even more special. I’m thrilled to be part of bringing his story to audiences.”Image via Warner Bros.

“Zachary was our first and only choice,” said Jon Erwin. “He brings a combination of humble charm and charisma as well as an intense physicality to the role. For our last several films, we have brought inspiring real life stories to the big screen and there is something magnificent and magical to Kurt’s rise as a champion.”

“This is about an everyman who never let his dream die. Zachary was born to play this role — and when you add in his uncanny resemblance to Kurt Warner, we’re thrilled to be working with him,” added Andrew Erwin.

Lionsgate will distribute American Underdog, which is poised to be Levi’s next film, as production is expected to start later this year. Lionsgate executives Jim Miller and Chelsea Kujawa will oversee the project on behalf of the studio, whose Phil Strina oversaw the negotiation with Levi.

The Erwins previously directed Lionsgate and Roadside Attractions’ faith-based film I Can Only Imagine, which grossed more than $83 million at the domestic box office to become the highest grossing independent film of 2018, and the fifth-highest-grossing musical biopic of all time. The Erwins soon signed a long-term partnership with Lionsgate, and I Still Believe (pictured right) was the first film under that deal. Their other films include Woodlawn, October Baby and Moms’ Night Out.Image via Lionsgate

Levi starred in the NBC series Chuck before landing the lead in Disney’s animated musical Tangled. He won a SAG Award as part of The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel ensemble, and his family-friendly superhero movie Shazam! grossed over $365 million worldwide. Levi will soon be seen alongside Jodie Foster and Benedict Cumberbatch in Kevin MacDonald’s Prisoner 760, and he’s also set to star opposite Cole Sprouse in Lionsgate’s Under Cover.

I know many of you who read this forum don't watch or follow sports.

But this is Kurt Warner. He's a Hall of Fame former NFL quarterback and at one point in his career bagged groceries. He was a no name until St. Louis Rams gave him a shot about 21 years ago when their starting QB got hurt. He went on to having one of the best seasons ever and won a Super Bowl and became the league MVP.

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...08a48c8a56.jpg

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...8e3b88f749.jpg

GoldenJCJ 07-01-20 04:20 PM

Re: American Underdog (The Kurt Warner story) -- S: Zachary Levi

Warner’s story is pretty incredible but if it weren’t for the “True story” aspect, it would be a pretty damn predictable sports movie.

I’m a sucker for inspirational underdog stories so I’ll probably watch it. Levi is a pretty spot on casting choice too!

Bluelitespecial 07-01-20 04:33 PM

Okay, it might be something good. There haven't been any sports movies in a very long time.

d2cheer 07-01-20 06:24 PM

Great football player and a GREAT person. I will watch.

Decker 07-01-20 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial (Post 13766000)
Okay, it might be something good. There haven't been any sports movies in a very long time.

Do you consider five months a "very long time"?
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...b111343675.png

Perkinsun Dzees 07-01-20 08:47 PM

They should get Greg Kinnear to play Dick Vermeil.

Bluelitespecial 07-01-20 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by Decker (Post 13766060)
Do you consider five months a "very long time"?
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...b111343675.png

I mean iconic and memorable sports movies. There haven't been any good ones since the 80s or 90s.

GoldenJCJ 07-01-20 09:17 PM

^ Warrior, Creed, The Blind Side, Moneyball, Friday Night Lights, We Are Marshall, Miracle, The Fighter, etc. are all in the 2000s.

DJariya 07-07-21 01:46 PM

Sizzle Reel with footage

d2cheer 07-07-21 03:05 PM

Looks great to me!!!

DJariya 07-07-21 03:27 PM

It's coming out during the Holidays where so many families will be craving feel good family entertainment.

mwbmis 07-07-21 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by Perkinsun Dzees (Post 13766104)
They should get Greg Kinnear to play Dick Vermeil.

That was my thought watching the footage. Kinnear was close to perfect as Vermeil and almost the right amount of time has passed. I watched a lot of Vermeil those StL years, and Dennis Quaid feels like a miscast.

As for the story, as a St. Louis Rams fan that was just an unbelievable year....but....the NFL and I got an irreconcilable divorce in January 2016 so I'm just not sure if I can watch this.

Decker 07-08-21 01:46 AM

Originally Posted by mwbmis (Post 13954815)
That was my thought watching the footage. Kinnear was close to perfect as Vermeil and almost the right amount of time has passed. I watched a lot of Vermeil those StL years, and Dennis Quaid feels like a miscast.

As for the story, as a St. Louis Rams fan that was just an unbelievable year....but....the NFL and I got an irreconcilable divorce in January 2016 so I'm just not sure if I can watch this.

You mean when the Rams movies back to the city St Louis had stolen them from previously? :lol:

Toddarino 07-08-21 04:57 AM

I was visiting Los Angeles that year and my buddy asked the Uber driver if he was glad the Rams were back. The driver went absolutely ballistic saying something along the lines of fuck that team I fucking hated them the first time they were here. This was among many other complaints he had about said team. I remember looking over at the speedometer during this rant and we kept progressively going faster.

William Fuld 07-08-21 05:02 AM

What's Her Deal Anyway? (The Brenda Warner Story)

mwbmis 07-08-21 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by Decker (Post 13954873)
You mean when the Rams movies back to the city St Louis had stolen them from previously? :lol:

Stolen? Please...

And it's not that it happened, it's how it happened. Honestly, I'm not bitter about it anymore; I just have no desire to watch a NFL game again.

DJariya 08-26-21 05:50 PM

Throwing Copper 08-27-21 12:28 AM

After watching the trailer, this looks pretty bad. And im a big Kurt fan, former STL Rams season ticket holder and went to both Super Bowls. This looks like something from Lifetime.

Im surprised Anna Paquin is involved in this. No doubt a great story, though. And watching Kurt lead the Greatest Show on Turf up close was an experience of a lifetime.

JeffTheAlpaca 08-27-21 04:47 AM

The Titans should have won that Super Bowl :mad:

dex14 08-27-21 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by Throwing Copper (Post 13975977)
After watching the trailer, this looks pretty bad. And im a big Kurt fan, former STL Rams season ticket holder and went to both Super Bowls. This looks like something from Lifetime.

Im surprised Anna Paquin is involved in this. No doubt a great story, though. And watching Kurt lead the Greatest Show on Turf up close was an experience of a lifetime.

It’s a “faith based” movie. So, yea… it will be probably feel Lifetimey.

JeffTheAlpaca 08-27-21 09:53 PM

They should have done a movie on the 2001 season where they had a great record but lost to the Pats back when you could root for the Pats since they never won a Super Bowl.

Throwing Copper 08-27-21 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca (Post 13976375)
They should have done a movie on the 2001 season where they had a great record but lost to the Pats back when you could root for the Pats since they never won a Super Bowl.

Yeah, that game was such a bunch of bullsh**. No name Tom Brady wins his first Super Bowl. Never should have happened.

The Rams-Titans game was fun. An extra minute and Tennessee probably wins it. If I wasn't a STL guy, I would have been rooting for Nashville, which has never had much. Surprised hockey went over well there.

GoldenJCJ 08-27-21 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by dex14 (Post 13976006)
It’s a “faith based” movie. So, yea… it will be probably feel Lifetimey.

Yeah, the “Faith based…” stuff really diminishes my enthusiasm for this. I’ll catch this when it’s airing on cable after all those faith based reincarnated dog movies…

TGM 08-28-21 10:01 AM

hope it ends with my Patriots taking it to them on their way to win the first of 6 superbowls.

DJariya 08-28-21 04:22 PM

If this wasn't produced as a "faith based" movie, the only studio that I could have seen making it would have been Disney. Warner from what I know is a devout Christian and I assume he had some say in the development of this story. I like Warner and he seems like a genuinely good man. But, this isn't the kind of movie I go out of my way to see.