DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   The Jaws movies. The Brody family probably were cursed to begin with (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/650786-jaws-movies-brody-family-probably-were-cursed-begin.html)

urrutiap 06-28-20 12:16 PM

The Jaws movies. The Brody family probably were cursed to begin with

Been watching all 4 Jaws movies since back then and even now today I do think that the Brody family were cursed since the beginning since Jaws 1.

Even with Jaws 3, the bothers still ended up getting smack dab in another great white shark situation that got out of control.

In Jaws 1, didnt they even saw that Chief Brody didnt like getting in the water at all because he almost drowned when he was a kid or something?

devilshalo 06-28-20 12:30 PM

Re: The Jaws movies. The Brody family probably were cursed to begin with

It's only an island if you look at it from the water.

E Unit 06-28-20 12:54 PM

Cursed to be in really bad sequels.

GoldenJCJ 06-28-20 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by devilshalo (Post 13764388)
It's only an island if you look at it from the water.

That makes a lot of sense.

Mike86 06-28-20 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by E Unit (Post 13764395)
Cursed to be in really bad sequels.

I like Jaws 2 fairly well. The other two not so much though.

Toddarino 06-28-20 02:15 PM

I know Jaws 3 sucks, but I really enjoy it.

Barth 06-28-20 03:56 PM

For me the first two are quality movies. The others are just cheesy fun. I have loved Micheal Caine since my early teens in the movies The Island, and especially, Blame It On Rio. I watch Jaws 4 just because he made that movie great.

TGM 06-28-20 04:35 PM

nothing could make that movie great.

although I recall being rattled by the opening scene with the younger brother getting eaten by the shark. I remember that being pretty well done.

GoldenJCJ 06-28-20 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by TGM (Post 13764468)
although I recall being rattled by the opening scene with the younger brother getting eaten by the shark. I remember that being pretty well done.

Yeah, the opening scene of Jaws 4 is pretty unnerving and is one of the few movie scenes that affected me as a kid.

I also remember getting a kick out of all the times you can clearly see the sharks hydraulics throughout the movie.

d2cheer 06-28-20 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by Toddarino (Post 13764428)
I know Jaws 3 sucks, but I really enjoy it.

I saw that one in the theater in 3D...no idea how that statement is true... -wink-

rennervision 06-28-20 07:04 PM

Jeez - all this time I never knew Jaws 3 also involved the Brody family. I used to wonder why other shark movies weren't named Jaws 5, 6, etc. But I guess it needs a member of the Brody family to qualify.

urrutiap 06-28-20 10:46 PM

How can you not know about Mike and his brother in Jaws 3? You been living in a damn cave or something?

Its messed up that Mike Brody would want to work at a sea water park resort especially an underwater tunnel display where in the first two movies he had incidents with not just one great white shark but another one which attacked him and his other teen friends in Jaws 2. and yes Sean Brody shows up in Jaws 3 romancing Leah Thompson aka Beverly of Howard the Duck

mwbmis 06-29-20 01:13 AM

Originally Posted by urrutiap (Post 13764577)
and yes Sean Brody shows up in Jaws 3 romancing Leah Thompson aka Beverly of Howard the Duck

Dennis Quaid won that battle in real life.

devilshalo 06-29-20 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by rennervision (Post 13764510)
Jeez - all this time I never knew Jaws 3 also involved the Brody family. I used to wonder why other shark movies weren't named Jaws 5, 6, etc. But I guess it needs a member of the Brody family to qualify.

But it does show that Michael Brody has a particular type when it's comes to women: blondes with the short 'n' sassy hair style.

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...e172de8a57.jpg Jackie

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...b8bee9cd4a.jpgKat

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...8be4bd3d28.jpgCarla

brayzie 06-29-20 05:07 PM

It doesn’t make sense he’d work at an underwater sea park considering what he went through. Then the other brother works as a cop near the ocean and is killed while sent in a dispatch on a boat. You’d think that whole family would move inland, AWAY from water and sharks.

Jaws 4 does imply there’s a curse and that the shark of the previous films is the same one, reincarnated over and over again to hunt down and eradicate the Brody line.

Barth 06-29-20 10:23 PM

Here’s a thought. Maybe it’s the shark family that’s cursed? The first shark was just hanging out and became a home invasion victim. Later a Brody hunted him down and killed him. The second shark might have been the mate of the first. She’s hanging out in her natural territory only to be taken out by a Brody. Third and Fourth sharks are the offspring of the first two only to be hunted down again by the Brodys?

brayzie 06-30-20 12:50 AM

Originally Posted by Barth (Post 13765108)
Here’s a thought. Maybe it’s the shark family that’s cursed? The first shark was just hanging out and became a home invasion victim. Later a Brody hunted him down and killed him. The second shark might have been the mate of the first. She’s hanging out in her natural territory only to be taken out by a Brody. Third and Fourth sharks are the offspring of the first two only to be hunted down again by the Brodys?

That doesn’t work, because the fourth shark killed the son who wasn’t even aware of it, then followed the family to Bahamas to finish them off for good.

Josh-da-man 06-30-20 01:07 AM

Originally Posted by brayzie (Post 13764930)
It doesn’t make sense he’d work at an underwater sea park considering what he went through. Then the other brother works as a cop near the ocean and is killed while sent in a dispatch on a boat. You’d think that whole family would move inland, AWAY from water and sharks.

That's probably true, but if the Brody kids decided to get away from shark altogether, they'd probably go to Colorado and work at a skiing resort.

And then you wouldn't have a movie.

Unless it was about a Snow Shark that terrorized skiers, and moved through snow banks with its dorsal fin out.

And, shit, that sounds kind of awesome...

devilshalo 06-30-20 02:31 AM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man (Post 13765148)
That's probably true, but if the Brody kids decided to get away from shark altogether, they'd probably go to Colorado and work at a skiing resort.

And then you wouldn't have a movie.

Unless it was about a Snow Shark that terrorized skiers, and moved through snow banks with its dorsal fin out.

And, shit, that sounds kind of awesome...

TomOpus 06-30-20 08:39 AM

I watched Snow Sharks on some streaming service a couple years ago. Horrible movie. And the effects aren't very special.

urrutiap 06-30-20 11:16 AM

It still amazes me that a great white shark whether the same shark reincarnated or whatever that goes after the Brody family is able to kill Sean but somehow lets Mario Van Peebles and Micheal Caine live

B5Erik 06-30-20 11:19 AM

I love Jaws and Jaws II. I like Jaws 3, but Jaws The Revenge is a really bad movie. But have you seen the house that it bought Michael Caine?

brayzie 06-30-20 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by urrutiap (Post 13765274)
It still amazes me that a great white shark whether the same shark reincarnated or whatever that goes after the Brody family is able to kill Sean but somehow lets Mario Van Peebles and Micheal Caine live

The original had Van Peebles’ character die, but they changed it.

Sonny Corinthos 07-05-20 09:44 AM

The first Jaws is awesome, 2 is great, 3 is a chore to watch. I have never made it past the 15 minute mark with Jaws The Revenge.

TGM 07-05-20 10:38 AM

yeah, if I were a Brody after the events of Jaws 2 I would've moved to Iowa.