DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Michael Keaton in talks to return as Bruce Wayne/Batman in Flashpoint and maybe more (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/650747-michael-keaton-talks-return-bruce-wayne-batman-flashpoint-maybe-more.html)

DJariya 06-22-20 01:46 PM

Michael Keaton in talks to return as Bruce Wayne/Batman in Flashpoint and maybe more

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...-movie-1299668

There may be new Batman in town. And he’s the same as the old Batman.

Michael Keaton, who famously starred as the Caped Crusader in the Tim Burton-directed early 1990s Batman movies, is in talks to reprise the character for Warner Bros.’s DC movie, The Flash.

Ezra Miller is on board to star as Barry Allen, AKA, the Flash, in the feature that will be directed by It filmmaker Andy Muschietti.

But wait, there’s more. If a deal makes, Keaton wouldn’t just return for Flash but possibly for several other DC-oriented film projects. Sources tell THR that the role being envisioned for the veteran actor is akin to the role played by Samuel Jackson as Nick Fury in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, something of a mentor or guide or even string puller. Batgirl is one the projects in development that could fall under that win.

Warners had no comment.

Keaton was a comedic actor who was nabbed the plum role of Batman for 1989’s Batman, something on which he initially took heat from fans who didn’t see him as imposing or chiseled. But the movie became a sensation and the actor reprised the character for the 1992 sequel, Batman Returns. For the longest time, Keaton tried to distance himself from the part and even skewered it in 2014’s Birdman, where played a faded actor who once starred in superhero movies. The part earned him an Oscar nomination for best actor.

More to come.

Deftones 06-22-20 01:48 PM

Re: Michael Keaton in talks to return as Bruce Wayne/Batman in Flashpoint and maybe more

No no. Batman Beyond movie with him as cranky old Bruce. Make it happen!

Mike86 06-22-20 01:52 PM

Re: Michael Keaton in talks to return as Bruce Wayne/Batman in Flashpoint and maybe more

I don’t care how it’s done. If you can get Michael Keaton to return as Batman or Bruce Wayne in some capacity I’m fucking there day one no matter what.

TheMovieman 06-22-20 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by Deftones (Post 13761287)
No no. Batman Beyond movie with him as cranky old Bruce. Make it happen!

Actually wouldn't surprise me if this happens...

Mike86 06-22-20 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by TheMovieman (Post 13761312)
Actually wouldn't surprise me if this happens...

If he’s in this Flashpoint movie and it works well enough I’d be all for that one hundred percent. That would be amazing. Hell, use the de-aging technology that’s available now days and show us some brief flashbacks to after Batman Returns.

milo bloom 06-22-20 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by Mike86 (Post 13761291)
I don’t care how it’s done. If you can get Michael Keaton to return as Batman or Bruce Wayne in some capacity I’m fucking there day one no matter what.

https://i.imgur.com/IBWe0XOm.png

devilshalo 06-22-20 02:33 PM

He's already busy tying together the MCU and Sony Spider-verses. :p

fujishig 06-22-20 03:18 PM

I don't get it.

First I thought the Flash movie had stalled to a standstill. But even then, is he playing a parallel universe Batman that somehow becomes a mentor in the actual universe? Or is he playing the actual Flashpoint Batman who sticks around
Spoiler:
and isn't actually Bruce Wayne
?

I'd be down for Momoa and Gadot playing Flashpoint versions of their characters, for one movie.

OldBoy 06-22-20 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by Mike86 (Post 13761291)

holy shit this would be awesome!!! he, imo, has come such a long way since those first 2. he would kick ass as always and make him even better than before...

IBJoel 06-22-20 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by fujishig (Post 13761352)
I don't get it.

First I thought the Flash movie had stalled to a standstill. But even then, is he playing a parallel universe Batman that somehow becomes a mentor in the actual universe? Or is he playing the actual Flashpoint Batman who sticks around
Spoiler:
and isn't actually Bruce Wayne

?

I'd be down for Momoa and Gadot playing Flashpoint versions of their characters, for one movie.

Yeah, it seems a bit confusing. My guess would be that Flashpoint causes everything to just smush together into one universe, like the New 52... but not.

Mike86 06-22-20 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by IBJoel (Post 13761367)
Yeah, it seems a bit confusing. My guess would be that Flashpoint causes everything to just smush together into one universe, like the New 52... but not.

That seems like the most likely answer if you ask me. Sort of like how the CW just had their Crisis event, maybe this will serve as the same sort of thing for the films. Somehow during the events of Flashpoint Keaton’s Bruce/Batman winds up in the current universe and becomes a mentor type figure to the new generation of heroes a la Batman Beyond. I think that could actually work out well.

TheMovieman 06-22-20 04:02 PM

Also, establishing this multiverse will allow Matt Reeves's The Batman to be its own thing.

Sonny Corinthos 06-22-20 04:08 PM

Are we talking about him suiting up again, or just being Bruce Wayne?

fujishig 06-22-20 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by Mike86 (Post 13761373)
That seems like the most likely answer if you ask me. Sort of like how the CW just had their Crisis event, maybe this will serve as the same sort of thing for the films. Somehow during the events of Flashpoint Keaton’s Bruce/Batman winds up in the current universe and becomes a mentor type figure to the new generation of heroes a la Batman Beyond. I think that could actually work out well.

The only problem with this is that then either you have two Bruce Waynes or you have an older, out of action Batman which nobody wants (unless they do something like let Dick Grayson be Batman).

Also, Bruce Wayne is a horrible mentor, in any universe.

Mike86 06-22-20 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by fujishig (Post 13761381)
The only problem with this is that then either you have two Bruce Waynes or you have an older, out of action Batman which nobody wants (unless they do something like let Dick Grayson be Batman).

Also, Bruce Wayne is a horrible mentor, in any universe.

I think I could live with two versions of Bruce depending on how it’s handled. That or just do a completely different version of Batman for the DCEU and then have the Pattinson Batman be entirely separate.

milo bloom 06-22-20 04:50 PM

Could Pattinson be someone like Damian Wayne? Or Dick Grayson? I'm out of touch with who all has worn the suit.

The Questyen 06-22-20 06:28 PM

He was a pretty terrible Bruce Wayne/ Batman but people love their nostalgia.

fujishig 06-22-20 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by milo bloom (Post 13761410)
Could Pattinson be someone like Damian Wayne? Or Dick Grayson? I'm out of touch with who all has worn the suit.

Terry McGinnis would probably make the most sense but I'm not sure how popular Batman Beyond is.

Decker 06-22-20 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by The Questyen (Post 13761472)

Or, and just hear me out on this.... he was actually a pretty good on-screen Batman, and the consensus prevailing opinion is actually correct and you're the contrarian who's wrong.

ddrknghtrtns 06-23-20 01:52 AM

If the source material is Flashpoint, Keaton will probably play
Spoiler:
Thomas Wayne.
Makes since, because his portrayal of the Dark Knight was more of a take no prisoners vigilante.

TheMovieman 06-23-20 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by ddrknghtrtns (Post 13761643)
If the source material is Flashpoint, Keaton will probably play
Spoiler:
Thomas Wayne.

Makes since, because his portrayal of the Dark Knight was more of a take no prisoners vigilante.

I suspect this movie will be loosely based on Flashpoint and Keaton, as Bruce Wayne (which all the trades are saying), will be taking place of that character. And we don't know how jaded BW has become in the 30 years. [Edit: Forgot, he played a Batman who strapped a bomb onto the stomach of a killer clown; set another one on fire using the Batmobile]

Also wouldn't make sense since the DCEU has that character. Course, if this falls through, they may go that route.

As a side, I remember a few months back, maybe longer, the rumor of a Batman Beyond movie, so I have to wonder if there is some quiet development on that.

Shannon Nutt 06-23-20 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by The Questyen (Post 13761472)

Wrong. He was the best Bruce Wayne to date. Batman is arguable, but mostly because of his physique and the fact that he was stuck in that poorly designed suit.

IBJoel 06-23-20 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt (Post 13761863)
Wrong. He was the best Bruce Wayne to date. Batman is arguable, but mostly because of his physique and the fact that he was stuck in that poorly designed suit.

I think his physique is totally fine for the 1940s/1980s mash-up they did, but that's just me.

I will say this: Keaton is the guy I most believe decided that the best way to deal with his trauma was to dress as a bat and assault people. He just constantly seems unhinged, bubbling just under the surface.

E Unit 06-23-20 02:51 PM

So now the DCU is going multiverse....MCU is going multiverse....so somehow I’m guessing Vulture will fight Batman? Just have Keaton fight himself?

All during the same summer of course.

fujishig 06-23-20 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by E Unit (Post 13761899)
So now the DCU is going multiverse....MCU is going multiverse....so somehow I’m guessing Vulture will fight Batman? Just have Keaton fight himself?

All during the same summer of course.

I can see it now:

Captain America vs. the Human Torch
Killmonger vs. the other Human Torch
J Jonah Jameson vs. Commissioner Gordon
Catwoman vs. Storm
Cable vs. Thanos
Bane vs. Venom
Deadpool vs. Green Lantern
Batman vs. Daredevil
Korath vs. that fish king vs. the Shazam wizard
Cyclops vs. Lois's cuck (man I hated that movie... was he Lois's boyfriend or her actual husband?)