Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Stephen King's thoughts on Creepshow?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-20, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 149 Likes on 103 Posts

I just re-watched Creepshow and started digging into the extras on the Scream Factory set, as well as the Just Desserts BD. One thing that really sticks out is how Stephen King isn't featured anywhere. Is there a known reason why, like does he not like Creepshow? I tried searching for interviews with King about Creepshow, but the only thing I found was this clip of him on Letterman promoting Creepshow when it came out

There was one thing Romero mentioned, something about King not liking the way his acting came across, which Romero told him to do like Wile E. Coyote. Perhaps that's enough for King to not like the film?
Old 06-22-20, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
Re: Stephen King's thoughts on Creepshow?

He wrote the screenplay and starred in the movie, I think most people that do that aren't big on commenting on the work overall.
The following users liked this post:
John Pannozzi (07-24-20)
Old 06-22-20, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 236 Likes on 169 Posts

I only like the Abominable Snowman segment the rest wasn't real good or just bad.
Old 06-22-20, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by RichC2
He wrote the screenplay and starred in the movie, I think most people that do that aren't big on commenting on the work overall.
FWIW he wrote the screenplay for The Stand miniseries and appears in the commentary on that DVD
Old 06-22-20, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 482 Likes on 318 Posts

I bet I've listened to more Stephen King interviews/lectures than pretty much anyone else here, and I've never heard him say anything disparaging about Creepshow. He's always spoken of it as a fun movie.

I'm sure there are multiple reasons why he wasn't involved in DVD extras, but I'm sure the main one is time. While we'd love to hear his thoughts on something he did nearly forty years ago, he probably doesn't care or barely remembers. He's in his 70s now, and for years has continued an astonishing output of work. He's a prose writer, movie work is just fun little side-projects for him. Since he doesn't feel the need to promote himself, he's going to need a damn good reason to spend his valuable time on something when he could be writing, enjoying himself, or spending time with family.

TLDR He was probably blasted out of his mind on booze and coke the whole time and doesn't remember anything.
The following 2 users liked this post by Crocker Jarmen:
John Pannozzi (07-24-20), joltman (06-22-20)
Old 06-22-20, 12:04 PM

Glad to hear that Crocker, I was worried he had a bad opinion about it.
I was taking a look at the review for Just Desserts on here and apparently the commentary with Felsher talks about the absence of King, so I'll have to check that out.
The following users liked this post:
John Pannozzi (07-24-20)