DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Actors & Auteurs whose films you've liked progressively less (or more) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/650742-actors-auteurs-whose-films-youve-liked-progressively-less-more.html)

L Everett Scott 06-21-20 11:18 AM

Actors & Auteurs whose films you've liked progressively less (or more)

Have you ever watched a film by a particular actor or director (or screenwriter or even producer) and been bowled over by how much you loved the film? And then you started going through that person's filmography and found that you liked less and less each successive movie you watched?

This happened to me with Peter Strickland's films. I first watched In Fabric (2018), which I loved, so I went to look for another movie of his and got a hold of Berberian Sound Studio (2012). I liked that one well enough but didn't find it as satisfying. Afterwards, I gave The Duke of Burgundy (2014) a go and found myself struggling to like it.

I'm trying to recall if the opposite has happened where I have a middling or downright negative reaction to someone's film and then liked more and more the successive movies of theirs that I watched. If that has happened at some point then it's eluding me at the moment, which isn't to say that it hasn't happened to anyone else here.

So how about it? Whose filmography impressed you more (or less) as you went through it?

Bluelitespecial 06-21-20 11:25 AM

Re: Actors & Auteurs whose films you've liked progressively less (or more)

I think Christopher Nolan's Batman movies are overrated. They are still good but I don't think people are right to say they are the best comic book movies ever made. My favorite Batman movies will always be the Burton films.

Mike86 06-21-20 11:35 AM

In some ways this has happened to me with Christopher Nolan. I really liked his Batman trilogy at the time. Also liked films like Memento and The Prestige quite a bit.

I would say I liked Inception, but it was the first of his films that I wasn’t quite as into, especially on repeat viewings. I’ve seen Interstellar and Dunkirk, but each only once and I have little desire to revisit them. I still want to see Tenet, but I’m not as excited about it as I once would have been.

As far as an actor, I’d say Bruce Willis. Mainly for the fact that he’s been in some classic films, but so often especially in the latter part of his career it feels like he’s just phoning in a performance

GoldenJCJ 06-21-20 11:47 AM

I hate to say it but after starting out with some of my favorite movies ever Steven Spielberg hasn’t made a movie I’ve liked in years. Ready Player One shows just how far he’s fallen. It should have been a wonderful adventure filled with a lot of nostalgic touches. Instead it’s the cinematic equivalent of a dead fish.

I might also add Quentin Tarantino as well since I’ve liked each one of his movie less and less since Jackie Brown. I still like his films a lot but his newer films don’t compare to his 90s Crime movies. That said, I think Once Upon a Time in Hollywood is a masterpiece and his best film since Pulp Fiction, so he might not count.

Jaymole 06-21-20 11:52 AM

Todd Solondz: I loved his first 2 films, (Welcome to the Dollhouse & Happiness), and I kept waiting for him to make another film that would come near those heights but I have given up now. I am still interested in seeing his films though, just my expectations are low.

milo bloom 06-21-20 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ (Post 13760900)
I hate to say it but after starting out with some of my favorite movies ever Steven Spielberg hasn’t made a movie I’ve liked in years. Ready Player One shows just how far he’s fallen. It should have been a wonderful adventure filled with a lot of nostalgic touches. Instead it’s the cinematic equivalent of a dead fish.

I might also add Quentin Tarantino as well since I’ve liked each one of his movie less and less since Jackie Brown. I still like his films a lot but his newer films don’t compare to his 90s Crime movies. That said, I think Once Upon a Time in Hollywood is a masterpiece and his best film since Pulp Fiction, so he might not count.

I finally watched RP1 just recently and was stunned to discover it was done by Spielberg. It was an amusing ride but pretty soulless.

The whole time I kept thinking it could have worked better as a Tron 3.

Ash Ketchum 06-21-20 01:19 PM

Stephen Sommers: definitely a gradual fall-off for me from THE ADVENTURES OF HUCK FINN (1993) and THE JUNGLE BOOK (1994) to THE MUMMY (1999) and the utter dreck that was THE MUMMY RETURNS (2001). Not that I was supremely enthusiastic about either of the first two films, but I thought they showed promise.

He's the only one I can think of like that.

PhantomStranger 06-21-20 02:10 PM

That's a great call on Spielberg. He's grown more and more out of touch with movie audiences over the years. I wonder how much time he actually spends these days on a "Steven Spielberg" movie. When you are worth billions, the all-consuming drive to make a movie just isn't the same as a young 20-something filmmaker directing classics like Jaws.

inri222 06-21-20 05:38 PM

Oliver Stone for the win.

Mike86 06-21-20 05:59 PM

Spielberg is iffy now days when it comes to the spectacle projects like BFG and Ready Player One. Still though he’s made things I do like all throughout his career. He definitely has projects that are weaker than others, but I still like newer stuff from him too like Lincoln and Bridge of Spies. Even The Post was decent.

Originally Posted by inri222 (Post 13760988)

I almost said him too. To me he’s always had more misses than hits though. I like his early stuff like Platoon and Born on the Fourth of July. JFK is alright too. The last thing he did I sort of liked was Savages, which is somewhat newer but still was pretty much only a one time watch.

DWilson 06-21-20 07:02 PM

Independent of this thread, I was going through some old DVDs and was surprised to find that Jon DeBont directed the "Tomb Raider" sequel. It struck me that while I thoroughly enjoyed "Speed" and "Twister", his other three films were fairly awful. Actually, I was surprised to find that he only directed five films and pretty much has nothing in his IMDB listing but a couple of Cinematography credits in the last two years.

JeffTheAlpaca 06-21-20 07:13 PM

Maybe it misses the theme of the thread but I grew less interested with each Nic Cage movies since 2009 since 95% of them are direct to home video.

Ash Ketchum 06-21-20 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by inri222 (Post 13760988)

Back in the early 1990s, my position was that the three best contemporary American filmmakers (outside of genre filmmakers like Walter Hill) were Martin Scorsese, Oliver Stone and Spike Lee. By the end of the 1990s, I didn't feel that way about any of them--and they've only gotten worse since.

Decker 06-21-20 08:26 PM

The most parabolic career in contemporary movies has to belong to Cameron Crowe

Fast Times (writer) > Say Anything > Singles > Jerry Maguire > Almost Famous (pinnacle). Then Vanilla Sky > Elizabethtown > We Bought A Zoo > Aloha .

The Questyen 06-21-20 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by Decker (Post 13761034)
The most parabolic career in contemporary movies has to belong to Cameron Crowe

Fast Times (writer) > Say Anything > Singles > Jerry Maguire > Almost Famous (pinnacle). Then Vanilla Sky > Elizabethtown > We Bought A Zoo > Aloha .

I'd put Vanilla Sky as his best movie. I also really liked Elizabethtown.

OldBoy 06-21-20 09:19 PM

Val Kilmer. I think his last great was Kiss Kiss Bang Bang in 2005. I actually like Felon too, but that too was prior 2010. I used to love seeing him in the movies. Ever since Real Genius. Actually, probably knew then went back and realized who he was even though pretty sure, saw RG in theaters. Too bad.

Decker 06-21-20 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by OldBoy (Post 13761048)
Val Kilmer. I think his last great was Kiss Kiss Bang Bang in 2005. I actually like Felon too, but that too was prior 2010. I used to love seeing him in the movies. Ever since Real Genius. Actually, probably knew then went back and realized who he was even though pretty sure, saw RG in theaters. Too bad.

Amazing how getting throat cancer and losing the ability to speak properly can totally kill your acting career.

Mike86 06-21-20 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by Decker (Post 13761057)
Amazing how getting throat cancer and losing the ability to speak properly can totally kill your acting career.

Eh, but even prior to that I would agree that Kilmer had been going downhill for quite a while. Oldboy is accurate with that pick if you ask me. He went from a decently big actor in the nineties to not doing much of note. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang really probably is his last noteworthy movie.

atrium 06-21-20 09:55 PM

Ridley Scott started out with an absolutely amazing one-two punch with Alien and Blade Runner, but has been uninspiring for decades now, Thelma & Louise being his last great film. Even his more highly lauded modern films like Gladiator and The Martian, I found to be soulless paint-by-numbers dreck. He doesn't seem to have any inspiration left in him.

Originally Posted by The Questyen (Post 13761036)
I'd put Vanilla Sky as his best movie.

I love this one also.

Crocker Jarmen 06-21-20 10:00 PM

After M. Night Shyamalan broke out with The Sixth Sense, I was impressed with the follow-up Unbreakable, and after Signs I thought, Holy moly, this guy is shaping up to be a top-tier filmmaker, and then I never liked anything he did after that. Thought The Village was plain stupid, and Lady In The Water seemed like a bizarre act of hubris. Never saw that Last Air Bender movie but felt like that was the nail in the coffin.

Next would be Paul Thomas Anderson, everything he's made since There Will Be Blood seems to go out of its way to be cryptic and unsatisfying to the audience. I feel like he doesn't respect my time as a viewer.

Decker 06-21-20 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen (Post 13761063)

Next would be Paul Thomas Anderson, everything he's made since There Will Be Blood seems to go out of its way to be cryptic and unsatisfying to the audience. I feel like he doesn't respect my time as a viewer.

Curious if you saw Phantom Thread. I thought that was pretty straightforward and accessible. Not nearly the Fuck You to the audience that The Master was.

TomOpus 06-21-20 10:21 PM

I'm gonna get shit but whatevs...

The Coen Brothers - Loved Raising Arizona. Laughed my ass off. Next closest film of theirs I loved was Fargo.

atrium 06-21-20 10:25 PM

How about Rob Reiner? Had a really nice string going from This Is Spinal Tap through Misery. The American President came out in 1995 and was good. Everything he's done since has been dogshit.

Decker 06-21-20 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by atrium (Post 13761072)
How about Rob Reiner? Had a really nice string going from This Is Spinal Tap through Misery. The American President came out in 1995 and was good. Everything he's done since has been dogshit.

:lol: Oh god, what was that one that was just Bruce Willis and Michelle Pfeiffer fighting with each other for nearly 2 hours? The Story of Us, maybe? That was worse the North. It was completely miserable.

Crocker Jarmen 06-21-20 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by Decker (Post 13761077)
:lol: Oh god, what was that one that was just Bruce Willis and Michelle Pfeiffer fighting with each other for nearly 2 hours? The Story of Us, maybe? That was worse the North. It was completely miserable.

I really need to watch North again one of these days. I saw it when it came out in '94 and really enjoyed it. I'm not sure why it is universally reviled.

Skipped Phantom Thread when it was at the show, but I might watch it on Netflix soon.