Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Spencer (2021, W: Knight / D: Larraín) S: Kristen Stewart as Princess Diana

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-20, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 724 Likes on 590 Posts

She could be a moody Emo Diana

She has done good work in some indie dramas and I don't think anybody including Pattinson did phenemonal acting work in those Twilight Movies.

Naomi Watts tried and she got panned and she is one of the better actress working today.

Eight years after playing a gritty fairy tale princess in Snow White and the Huntsman, Kristen Stewart is ascending to for-real royalty in the new drama, Spencer. Directed by Pablo Larraín, the film depicts the bitter end of the seemingly storybook romance between Prince Charles and Princess Diana, to be played by Stewart.This isn’t the first time that Larraín has made a bold biopic casting choice. In 2016, he directed Natalie Portman to an Oscar nomination as Jackie Kennedy in Jackie. “I couldn’t imagine the movie without her,” he told Yahoo Entertainment at the time. “Natalie resembles the real person. But I’m not that into the way they look. I look for someone who can create the illusion of that person. I’m not a journalist or a historian.”

Speaking with Deadline, the director said that Stewart — who he describes as “one of the great actors around today” — was a natural choice to play Diana Spencer. “Kristen can be many things, and she can be very mysterious and very fragile and ultimately very strong as well, which is what we need,” he explained, adding that the film won’t depict Diana’s death in 1997. “The combination of those elements made me think of her. I think she’s going to do something stunning and intriguing at the same time. She is this force of nature.”

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...191819156.html

Old 06-18-20, 09:54 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts
re: Spencer (2021, W: Knight / D: Larraín) S: Kristen Stewart as Princess Diana

The casting and movie we all need during these trying times.
Old 06-18-20, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 393 Likes on 281 Posts

wasn't princess Dianna warm and compassionate? I don't see Stewart in that kind of thing...
Old 06-18-20, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,131 Posts

K Stew huh? Stock up on No Doz before you see this...
Old 06-18-20, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I’m still trying to figure out how she keeps getting roles? She has no range. When I saw she was in Charlie’s Angels I just laughed. I last watched her in Underwater and she was that same dry, non-emotional character. I’m pretty sure that movie bombed and I know Charlie’s Angels did as well. Has she been in anything recently that hasn’t bombed?
Old 06-18-20, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Who is directing? Olivier Assayas would kill it. She was great in Personal Shopper.
Old 06-18-20, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,211 Likes on 2,071 Posts

Originally Posted by Barth
I’m still trying to figure out how she keeps getting roles? She has no range. When I saw she was in Charlie’s Angels I just laughed. I last watched her in Underwater and she was that same dry, non-emotional character. I’m pretty sure that movie bombed and I know Charlie’s Angels did as well. Has she been in anything recently that hasn’t bombed?
Stewart’s range goes from running her fingers through her hair in a frustrated way to running her fingers through her hair in an annoyed way.

Cate Blanchett would have made a good Diana. Unfortunately, I think she’s too old for the role now.
Old 06-18-20, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 92 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Who is directing? Olivier Assayas would kill it. She was great in Personal Shopper.
She was pretty great in Adventureland, too, but that other poster is correct about her constantly running her fingers through her hair...I didn't really notice that but now that it was pointed out there's a ton of scenes I can think of where she did that...Never watched the Twilight movies and never intend to...
Old 06-18-20, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Pablo Larrain who directed Natalie Portman in Jackie is directing this.

Maybe Stewart is the Ben Affleck of actresses.

She might not be great but not as bad as everybody on the internet thinks she is.
Old 06-18-20, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

She had no hair in Underwater and that's an entertaining ass film.
Old 06-18-20, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 350 Likes on 269 Posts

Everytime I see Kristen Stewart, I always get reminded that I thought she was a boy in Panic Room. No joke. For the first half the movie, Jodie Foster kept mentioning her daughter and I had no idea who she was talking about. I see the son on-screen, but no daughter. Oops haha

If you want that Kristen Stewart look, I prefer Teresa Palmer.
The following users liked this post:
Vipper II (06-20-20)
Old 06-18-20, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 92 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
She had no hair in Underwater and that's an entertaining ass film.
Hahahaha...
Old 06-19-20, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 236 Likes on 169 Posts

I be fine with her if she dress like this in the movie.

The following users liked this post:
JeffTheAlpaca (01-27-21)
Old 06-19-20, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

I see this one going to Netflix or Amazon.
Old 06-19-20, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,131 Posts

Originally Posted by Barth
I’m still trying to figure out how she keeps getting roles?
I hate to boil her down this but...I honestly think it's because the old dudes in charge of handing out roles in Hollywood all still want to fuck her. I mean shit, I don't know ANYONE who thinks she has any kind of talent outside of still being able to get roles.
Old 06-19-20, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dom56
I be fine with her if she dress like this in the movie.

Or like this in the opening scene of Charlies Angels

Old 01-27-21, 08:22 AM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

Kristen Stewart has made her debut as Princess Diana.

Principal photography has begun on Pablo Larrain’s “Spencer,” with production unveiling the first glimpse of Stewart as the young royal.

Written by “Peaky Blinders” creator Steven Knight, the film focuses on one weekend in the life of Princess Diana, as she spends the Christmas holiday with the Royal Family at the Sandringham estate in Norfolk, and decides to leave her marriage to Prince Charles.

Filming will take place in Germany and the U.K. and a fall 2021 launch is anticipated. 2022 marks the 25th anniversary of Diana’s death.

The cast also includes BAFTA nominee Timothy Spall (“Mr. Turner”), Oscar nominee Sally Hawkins (“The Shape of Water”) and Sean Harris (“Mission: Impossible”).

The film is produced by Juan de Dios Larraín (“Jackie”) for Fabula Films, Jonas Dornbach and Janine Jackowski (“Toni Erdmann”) for Komplizen Film and BAFTA winner and Oscar nominee Paul Webster (“Anna Karenina”) for Shoebox Films.

“‘Spencer is a dive inside an emotional imagining of who Diana was at a pivotal turning point in her life,” said Stewart. “It is a physical assertion of the sum of her parts, which starts with her given name: Spencer. It is a harrowing effort for her to return to herself, as Diana strives to hold onto what the name Spencer means to her.”

“We are extremely grateful for the support of our distributors worldwide, our partners and funders who have shown tremendous commitment to us in these extraordinary times. With Kristen Stewart, Steven Knight and the rest of our fantastic team both in front and behind the camera, we are bringing ‘Spencer’ to the world. It is an independently produced film made for the big screen about an iconic woman’s own declaration of independence. We couldn’t be more excited,” said producers Jonas Dornbach, Janine Jackowski, Juan de Dios Larraín, Paul Webster and Pablo Larraín.

Executive producers are Tom Quinn, Jeff Deutchman and Christina Zisa for Neon and Michael Bloom, Maria Zuckerman and Ryan Heller for Topic Studios.

FilmNation Entertainment handled international sales with all key territories selling out of the Cannes virtual market. The CAA Media Finance group sold to Neon and Topic Studios to distribute in the U.S., STXinternational will distribute the film in the U.K., France, Italy and Benelux and DCM will distribute in Germany.

Other territories sold include: Australia/NZ (Roadshow), Latin America, Spain and Portugal (Sun), South Korea (Green Narae), Japan (Tohokushina), Scandinavia (Scanbox), Canada (Elevation), CIS/Baltics (Central Partnership), Eastern Europe (Forum), Middle East (Italia), Singapore (Shaw), Greece/Cyprus (Spentzos), Hong Kong (Golden Scene), India/Pakistan (Impact Films India), Israel (Lev), Turkey (FilmArti), South Africa (Empire), Taiwan (Moviecloud) and Thailand (M Pictures).

“Working on the script has been a pleasure. I think it’s a different perspective on a story that we don’t all know well, but we all feel we now are a part of it,” Knight told Variety in an exclusive interview last week. “And I just found the whole thing fascinating. To talk to people who knew her and to try and get a view of this person — who this person really was — who was an ordinary person in extraordinary situations, is the way I think of her.”

Knight said he hadn’t watched hit Netflix series “The Crown” because he didn’t want his perspective to be influenced by the show. Season 4 of “The Crown,” which began streaming in 2020, primarily focuses on the relationship between Lady Diana (played by Emma Corrin) and Prince Charles (Josh O’Connor). The season has been in the spotlight as the relatives of real individuals depicted in the drama have been speaking up about their portrayals.

U.K. Culture Secretary Oliver Dowden and Lady Diana’s brother Charles Spencer later demanded that “The Crown” carry a disclaimer that it is a fiction show, but Netflix declined.

Spencer is supported by the German Federal Film Fund (DFFF), medienboard Berlin-Brandenburg, German Federal Film Board (FFA), Film- und Medienstiftung NRW and HessenFilm und Medien.
Old 01-27-21, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
Re: Spencer (2021, W: Knight / D: Larraín) S: Kristen Stewart as Princess Diana

I'm willing to give her the benefit of the doubt for now. I enjoyed her in both the Happiest Season and Charlie's Angels (though I didn't really care for that movie overall).
Old 01-27-21, 07:17 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Will she be for hire?
Old 01-27-21, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It seems all the people from the Twilight movies get a bad rap like Steward and Pattinson but they showed their true acting chops outside of those movies.
Old 01-27-21, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by E Unit
Will she be for hire?
I thought this was a sequel to the Mark Wahlberg Netflix movie when I first clicked on it.
Old 01-27-21, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
It seems all the people from the Twilight movies get a bad rap like Steward and Pattinson but they showed their true acting chops outside of those movies.
I’ve never seen any of the Twilight movies but I’m aware of the mockery for the actors who appeared in them. I’ve seen a few movies with Pattinson where he was more impressive than I was expecting but I have yet to see anything from Stewart that makes me think she’s anything more than a mediocre actress. I liked her a lot in Underwater but that was hardly an acting tour-de-force. She just looks so bored in the majority of roles I’ve seen her in.
Old 01-28-21, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 398 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
I’ve never seen any of the Twilight movies but I’m aware of the mockery for the actors who appeared in them. I’ve seen a few movies with Pattinson where he was more impressive than I was expecting but I have yet to see anything from Stewart that makes me think she’s anything more than a mediocre actress. I liked her a lot in Underwater but that was hardly an acting tour-de-force. She just looks so bored in the majority of roles I’ve seen her in.
That's it, there are some movies, which ask for her one-dimensional way of acting. That's why 'Adventureland', 'Still Alice' or 'Welcome to the Rileys' work for her, but she's really bad in Snow White and The Huntsman and basically every movie where she can't be annoyed all the time.

She isn't talentless but she really has to pick the right roles for her range to fit.
Old 08-17-21, 02:18 PM

Spencer — the Venice and TIFF title that will see Kristen Stewart play Princess Diana — has gotten an awards-season release date. Neon and Topic Studios has scheduled the feature for Nov. 5.

Pablo Larraín is behind the feature that takes place over three days in one of her last Christmas holidays as a member of the House of Windsor at their Sandringham estate. The description for the movie reads: “Spencer is an imaging of what might have happened during those few fateful days.” (The weekend was also featured in the latest season of Netflix’s The Crown, with Diana played by Emma Corrin alongside Josh O’Connor as Prince Charles.)

Timothy Spall, Sally Hawkins, and Sean Harris also star in the film that will premiere in competition at the 78th Venice International Film Festival.

Steven Knight (Peaky Blinders, Locked Down) penned the screenplay. The Jackie filmmaker produced Spencer along with Fabula partner Juan de Dios Larraín, Jonas Dornbach and Janine Jackowski for Komplizen Film, and Paul Webster for Shoebox Films.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/mo...te-1234998639/
Old 08-26-21, 11:49 AM

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.