Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Will any major movies reflect a "COVID-19" world?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 06-15-20, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 157 Likes on 94 Posts

I was just thinking while I was at the store over the weekend and seeing cashiers with masks and plexiglass barriers - will that be reflected in movies? If a character goes to a checkout lane in a movie in the next few years, is that what things will look like? Will there be no crowd scenes for anything shot in 2020 or 2021? No movies that involve concerts or bars or anything like that?

I think indy or smaller films will do it but I wonder if a huge Marvel blockbuster or franchise film will reflect our current reality at all or just pretend this is not happening in "that" world.
Old 06-15-20, 12:31 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
Re: Will any major movies reflect a "COVID-19" world?

Lifetime movies maybe, otherwise...God I hope not. I want movies to entertain me, not remind me of the hell on earth we're living now.
Old 06-15-20, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 106 Likes on 87 Posts

The following users liked this post:
Dan (06-15-20)
Old 06-15-20, 12:35 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Er...except for movies like that...
Old 06-15-20, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 249 Likes on 190 Posts

Read the new guidelines for the DGA and SAG for filming. It's going to be very hard to shoot anything like it was before.

https://tvline.com/2020/06/12/how-tv...post-pandemic/

I read they are going to try to discourage kissing, hugging and actors need to stand 6 feet apart during filming. Also they are going to try to discourage intimate scenes as well. And hand to hand fight scenes are supposed to be discouraged or kept to a minimum. That's going to be very weird for a movie like John Wick 4, which is supposed to film within the next year, Unless they can find a way to work around that.

So yeah, TV and movies are going to be very awkward unless a vaccine is ready for immunity. Filming for TV is going to resume in the next month or so. Movies will have to adopt this too. These restrictions are going to hurt entertainment. Actors who have worked with their friends for many years are going to be put in awkward situations.

So look forward to seeing The Eternals standing 6 feet apart in every scene and wearing face coverings.

Last edited by DJariya; 06-15-20 at 12:50 PM.
Old 06-15-20, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

There's going to be a vaccine or cure within a year or so. So while it affects all of us right now, it'll be an afterthought in a few years. It'll go back to (mostly) normal. I'm pretty sure we'll be back in theaters and seeing actors kiss, hug, etc. in movies again. We just need to keep it restrained until said vaccine and/or cure is created and distributed.
Old 06-15-20, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 157 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by E Unit View Post
There's going to be a vaccine or cure within a year or so. So while it affects all of us right now, it'll be an afterthought in a few years. It'll go back to (mostly) normal. I'm pretty sure we'll be back in theaters and seeing actors kiss, hug, etc. in movies again. We just need to keep it restrained until said vaccine and/or cure is created and distributed.
I mean, that isn't a given but even if it is - that won't be readily available for what, a year? So nothing shot in the back half of 2020 or the front half of 2021 will be able to be shot like there is a vaccine/cure? That's going to be very tough.

I read about the cast/crew of the Children of the Corn remake quarantined together. Maybe they could do something like that. Seems like a nightmare for a huge production though.
Old 06-15-20, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
Read the new guidelines for the DGA and SAG for filming. It's going to be very hard to shoot anything like it was before.

https://tvline.com/2020/06/12/how-tv...post-pandemic/

I read they are going to try to discourage kissing, hugging and actors need to stand 6 feet apart during filming. Also they are going to try to discourage intimate scenes as well. And hand to hand fight scenes are supposed to be discouraged or kept to a minimum. That's going to be very weird for a movie like John Wick 4, which is supposed to film within the next year, Unless they can find a way to work around that.

So yeah, TV and movies are going to be very awkward unless a vaccine is ready for immunity. Filming for TV is going to resume in the next month or so. Movies will have to adopt this too. These restrictions are going to hurt entertainment. Actors who have worked with their friends for many years are going to be put in awkward situations.

So look forward to seeing The Eternals standing 6 feet apart in every scene and wearing face coverings.
For cases where movies are heavy on hand-to-hand combat, etc. wouldn’t it be simple to just have the cast quarantine for 2 weeks prior to filming? I could see full resorts in Cali being reserved for the entire cast and crew of big budget movies.
Old 06-16-20, 06:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

I'm sure there will be temporary changes, but I'm more bracing for the slew of COVID-themed movies and TV shows in pretty much every possible genre.
Old 06-16-20, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I would love to see David Simon do a sort of "sequel" to The Wire, set within the enormous changes going on within the NYPD. That's more related to the George Floyd killing, and with everything reverberating in the US and the world. But also needing to incorporate what they have to do that's different due to Covid-19.

Last edited by E Unit; 06-16-20 at 09:19 AM.
Old 06-16-20, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I could see Star Trek do some kind of a story that reflects the virus that is going on right now. I'm sure spoof/ parody movies will try to poke fun at the virus or everyone wearing masks in some way.
Old 06-16-20, 10:07 AM
Administrator

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

Well Cloverfield waited about... 6 and a half years before using 9/11 imagery? So I bet by 2025 we'll be seeing movies with "empty streets" (which I took several photos of myself and are fairly eerie). Of course if you want that deserted look now, any cheap, apocalyptic schlock on Netflix will provide that.
Old 06-16-20, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by movieguru View Post
I could see Star Trek do some kind of a story that reflects the virus that is going on right now. I'm sure spoof/ parody movies will try to poke fun at the virus or everyone wearing masks in some way.
Back in the day, that was my impression of Demolition Man as a parody of a world where hiv/aids was a death sentence and never cured/managed. (ie. The "sex" scene).
Old 06-16-20, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by E Unit View Post
With modern technology they can just CGI hugging and kissing! After we're finished with COVID-19 hopefully there won't be a COVID-20 sequel in the works.
Old 06-16-20, 02:24 PM

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
I read they are going to try to discourage kissing, hugging and actors need to stand 6 feet apart during filming.
Who knew that Last Tango in Paris was ahead of its time?
Old 06-16-20, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by orangerunner View Post
With modern technology they can just CGI hugging and kissing! After we're finished with COVID-19 hopefully there won't be a COVID-20 sequel in the works.
Catch up with us buddy.