DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   You Should Have Left (2020, W/D: Koepp) -- S: Kevin Bacon, Amanda Seyfried -- Blumhouse Productions (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/650671-you-should-have-left-2020-w-d-koepp-s-kevin-bacon-amanda-seyfried-blumhouse-productions.html)

DJariya 06-08-20 01:07 PM

You Should Have Left (2020, W/D: Koepp) -- S: Kevin Bacon, Amanda Seyfried -- Blumhouse Productions

In a new psychological thriller from Blumhouse Productions and legendary screenwriter David Koepp (Jurassic Park, Mission: Impossible, Panic Room), Kevin Bacon and Amanda Seyfried star as a couple seeking a restful vacation on an isolated edge of the world only to discover that secrets demand a reckoning … and travel with you. In this terrifying, mind-twisting tale, a father fights desperately to save his family from a beautiful home that refuses to let them leave. Theo Conroy (Bacon) is a successful middle-aged man whose marriage to his much younger actress wife, Susanna (Seyfried) is shredding at the seams, frayed by her secretiveness, his jealousy, and the shadow of his past. In an effort to repair their relationship, Theo and Susanna book a vacation at a stunning, remote modern home in the Welsh countryside for themselves and their six-year-old daughter, Ella (Avery Essex). What at first seems like a perfect retreat distorts into a perfect nightmare when Theo’s grasp on reality begins to unravel and he suspects that a sinister force within the house knows more than he or Susanna have revealed, even to each other. Based on the novel by best-selling German literary sensation Daniel Kehlmann (Measuring the World),

You Should Have Left is written and directed by David Koepp (Stir of Echoes). The film is produced by grandmaster of terror Jason Blum (The Purge and Halloween franchises), Kevin Bacon and Dean O’Toole (Walk Like a Panther), and is executive produced by Jeanette Volturno, Couper Samuelson and Derek Ambrosi.

This is coming straight to VOD on June 19th.

GoldenJCJ 06-08-20 03:19 PM

Re: You Should Have Left (2020, W/D: Koepp) -- S: Kevin Bacon, Amanda Seyfried -- Blumhouse Productions

Looks good. You can never go wrong with Kevin Bacon.

Some of the stuff in the trailer reminded me of the book House of Leaves.

asianxcore 06-17-20 11:05 AM

Re: You Should Have Left (2020, W/D: Koepp) -- S: Kevin Bacon, Amanda Seyfried -- Blumhouse Productions

Liked the trailer!

Cool to see David Koepp reuniting with Kevin Bacon again on a Horror film.

Definitely will be checking this out!

Decker 06-17-20 11:12 AM

That does look good.

milo bloom 06-17-20 11:20 AM

This came up in a Youtube ad and I usually skip them but I watched this one and it looks creepy as heck.

At least they're acknowledging the husband being so much older than the wife.

Dan 06-18-20 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ (Post 13754872)
Looks good. You can never go wrong with Kevin Bacon.

Some of the stuff in the trailer reminded me of the book House of Leaves.

I haven't watched the trailer, but that's exactly what I thought of from the description.

Also... :up: ;)

Troy Stiffler 06-18-20 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by asianxcore (Post 13759184)
Liked the trailer!

Cool to see David Koepp reuniting with Kevin Bacon again on a Horror film.

Definitely will be checking this out!

Same here. Ghost stories have come a long way in 20 years. But I thought Stir of Echoes was really special.

davidh777 06-18-20 08:40 PM

I’ll watch this. Seems like Blumhouse is nearly the only one releasing movies these days!

Originally Posted by milo bloom (Post 13759193)
At least they're acknowledging the husband being so much older than the wife.

That’s good, as it was the first thing I wondered when the trailer started.

Osiris3657 06-19-20 07:26 PM

Does not have good reviews. 44%

OldBoy 06-19-20 08:56 PM

i think i'm gonna try this in a few. figure why not. like Bacon, Seyfried, kinda in the mood for a not so great horror movie. will let you know...

Barth 06-19-20 09:05 PM

I’ll watch anything with Kevin Bacon in it. So this was high on my list. I was disappointed. It was just a dry, odd movie. It’s about 85 minutes but it’s one of those that could have maybe been better with 30 minutes of more backstory. By the end I wasn’t surprised or even really cared because I never attached myself to it.

Daytripper 06-20-20 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by Barth (Post 13760417)
I’ll watch anything with Kevin Bacon in it. So this was high on my list. I was disappointed. It was just a dry, odd movie. It’s about 85 minutes but it’s one of those that could have maybe been better with 30 minutes of more backstory. By the end I wasn’t surprised or even really cared because I never attached myself to it.

Felt the same. Definitely needed more backstory. It's a nice looking film.The cinematography was quite good. But it's just a so-so movie overall. It's not scary or even creepy at all. Plays better as a drama. If you can rent for a few bucks, I say go for it. Not worth more. I'd give it a 6/10 rating.

Dr. DVD 06-21-20 06:57 PM

Chris Stuckmann hated it. He said that if this were written by anyone less established than Koepp , the script would have probably been tossed into a rejected pile.

JZ1276 06-23-20 12:47 AM

I liked it, it had it's cheesy moments but for the most part it was pretty good.
Spoiler:
Was the 'evil' Kevin Bacon his older future self after being trapped in the house for so long or the devil looking like Bacon? I ask because if it was an older future Bacon why was he so evil towards his daughter when he was haunting her?

Bandoman 06-30-20 07:56 AM

This was ok, nothing special. Probably not worth the $20 rental - wait for it to hit the streaming services to which you already subscribe.

Koby 06-30-20 01:51 PM

Predictable from start to finish.

TomOpus 06-30-20 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by Bandoman (Post 13765184)
This was ok, nothing special. Probably not worth the $20 rental - wait for it to hit the streaming services to which you already subscribe.

You Should Have Waited.

asianxcore 07-02-20 11:00 AM

Saw this last night.

Will definitely echo the thoughts of the film being dull & predictable. Probably wouldn't have watched it if Director/Writer David Koepp's name wasn't attached.

Apparently, Writer Mark Z. Danielewski is annoyed that the film lifts a small scene from his novel House of Leaves, that isn't in the original novel.

DJariya 08-27-20 12:52 PM

I rented this from Redbox last week. I would say it was okay. Definitely not even remotely scary at all. I would call this more of a psychological thriller. Bacon was probably the best part of this. It focused a lot on Bacon's struggles with something buried deep within him that is later revealed. The budget for this was very small, which is typical for Blumhouse.

For a $1.80 rental, this was a decent time killer. I'm glad I didn't jump on that initial $20 digital rental when it came out.

DJariya 09-04-20 07:29 PM

This is now on Peacock for those of you who have it.

dex14 09-12-20 09:02 AM

This was garbage. I’m glad I didn’t rent this for $5.99 and was able to see it on Peacock for free. I had to watch the far superior Koepp/Bacon film Stir of Echoes to cleanse myself.

mndtrp 09-15-20 01:06 PM

I thought it was ok. Not enough to dislike it, not enough to recommend it to anyone.

asianxcore 09-15-20 08:09 PM

A friend of mine recently gifted me the novel the film is based.

Hopefully it's better than the film!

RichC2 09-15-20 08:30 PM

I await the sequel, You Should Have Rights.

JeffTheAlpaca 09-17-20 09:26 AM

Surprised this is not available on Blu-ray to rent