Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Total Recall (1990) is 30-Years-Old Today!

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-20, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 131 Likes on 102 Posts

Hard to believe but the Arnold Schwarzenegger film "Total Recall" opened up June 1st 1990. It's still one of the best sci-fi action films of all time.

A side thought I had; To me, his film still looks fairly modern with the special effects (okay, most of it), make-up, dialogue, acting, level of violence, pacing and editing. It's strange to think a film from 1960 would have been 30-years-old in 1990. In some ways, there seems to have been much more technical advancements made among films between 1960 and 1990 than there was from 1990 to 2020.

Would a modern 18-year-old be completely underwhelmed by this movie?
Old 06-01-20, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,097 Likes on 794 Posts
Re: Total Recall (1990) is 30-Years-Old Today!

I watched this earlier this year, and thought something different. I felt everything except the FX stood up. Cutting edge in 1990 is pretty rough in 2020. Instead of making that shitty remake with Colin Farrell, they should have updated the FX in the original. It would still be a great movie for modern audiences.
Old 06-01-20, 04:45 PM
Former Member

Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts

One of my favorite movies of all time. Arnie and Verhoeven never did it better than they did here. I think it holds up tremendously when you recognize the underlying humor throughout.
Old 06-01-20, 05:57 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 907 Likes on 767 Posts

it's a classic!
Old 06-01-20, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 92 Likes on 88 Posts

Also love Sharon Stone in this (she looks simply amazing in that leotard/workout outfit)...and Rachel Ticotin (I think that's her name)...

Also, I've always just loved the music that plays in that bar that Arnold's character goes to...The one I think Marshall Bell's character runs...It's very unique but I don't feel it's dated at all...
Old 06-01-20, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 419 Likes on 303 Posts

Watch the movie on bluray with the Arnold Commentary. His comments when he's in bed with Sharon Stone always make me laugh.
Old 06-01-20, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,461 Likes on 930 Posts

I watched it a couple of weeks ago. I still think it holds up.

Downgrading a movie because of its dated special effects always seems shallow to me. What do those people think of 4:3 aspect ratio movies? B&W movies? Silent movies?
Old 06-01-20, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,097 Likes on 794 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Danger
I watched it a couple of weeks ago. I still think it holds up.

Downgrading a movie because of its dated special effects always seems shallow to me. What do those people think of 4:3 aspect ratio movies? B&W movies? Silent movies?
They don't watch any of those movies, and you would have to drag them kicking and screaming to force them to do so.
Total Recall is still a movie that would be a cool watch, but a typical millennial won't get past the effects.
Old 06-01-20, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 95 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Goonies85
Also love that 3 titted lady (she looks simply amazing in that bar)
fixed.
Old 06-02-20, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by davidlynchfan
fixed.
Haha...can't believe I forgot about that...
Old 06-02-20, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
They don't watch any of those movies, and you would have to drag them kicking and screaming to force them to do so.
Total Recall is still a movie that would be a cool watch, but a typical millennial won't get past the effects.
And I actually think the effects hold up pretty well. Nowadays, they would've done pretty much everything with CGI and it would've looked awful...At least they used practical effects back in the day...
The following 2 users liked this post by Goonies85:
Dr. DVD (06-05-20), IBJoel (06-02-20)
Old 06-02-20, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 482 Likes on 318 Posts

I remember at the Oscars that year there wasn't the usual category for Best Visual Effects. During the nomination process, Total Recall was practically the only movie to get votes, so the Academy said, "Why waste time?" and gave it a Special Achievement Oscar, leading to the very common sight of four people going up to collect the award and the third one being cut off the moment he starts saying his thanks.
Old 06-02-20, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

1st rated R movie I saw. Fond memories.
Old 06-02-20, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 433 Likes on 297 Posts

Always been one of my favorite Arnie films. Time for a rewatch.
Old 06-02-20, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts

"You blabbed about Mars!" is the line I use when someone lets the proverbial cat out the bag.
Old 06-02-20, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 193 Likes on 155 Posts

It forever altered the way I say, "two weeks".
Old 06-02-20, 02:45 PM
Administrator

Received 1,068 Likes on 621 Posts

Originally Posted by orangerunner
Hard to believe but the Arnold Schwarzenegger film "Total Recall" opened up June 1st 1990. It's still one of the best sci-fi action films of all time.

A side thought I had; To me, his film still looks fairly modern with the special effects (okay, most of it), make-up, dialogue, acting, level of violence, pacing and editing. It's strange to think a film from 1960 would have been 30-years-old in 1990. In some ways, there seems to have been much more technical advancements made among films between 1960 and 1990 than there was from 1990 to 2020.

Would a modern 18-year-old be completely underwhelmed by this movie?
I am 31, but saw this for the first time late last year (although I was familiar with it through osmosis). I enjoyed it quite a bit, although I can't say it's one of my favorite Schwarzenegger films. I think the look of the film and production design is great (but I'm a big fan of 80s dystopias in general. Yes, I know it was released in 1990) and the story of privatization of essential resources is pretty poignant today. I do agree that most of the effects have aged pretty well.
Old 06-02-20, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

I always felt like the movie needed one more twist. I know there is a supposed hint that Arnold is still dreaming, but I never thought there was any real suggestion of that. Maybe the ending should've been a bit more ambiguous about that idea.
Old 06-02-20, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 193 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by rennervision
I always felt like the movie needed one more twist. I know there is a supposed hint that Arnold is still dreaming, but I never thought there was any real suggestion of that. Maybe the ending should've been a bit more ambiguous about that idea.
Melina is the girl on the Rekall screen, and at the end the movie fades to white.
Old 06-03-20, 02:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

I never caught that about Melina.

This is was just an insane mainstream movie for its time. It has cheesy one liners (that are actually funny though), absurd scenes of an Austrian steroid abuser playing a nondescript Everyman pulling a golf ball sized tracking device out of his nose. A three tittied bar girl. But then you have this whole subplot with the mutants, their exploitation and treatment. The weird but serious reveal of Quatto. Quaid’s struggle against who he was and whether or not that determines who he is now. Easily one of Arnold’s best films.

I think the twist in the original short story was good, if not better.

Last edited by brayzie; 06-03-20 at 04:56 AM.
Old 06-03-20, 08:02 PM

What was that twist?
Old 06-04-20, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
What was that twist?
I highly recommend you just read the short story "We Can Remember It For You Wholesale" by Phillip K. Dick. It's not epic like the film, but summarizing it wouldn't do the story justice either.

But if you must know:
Spoiler:
Quaid ("Quail" in the short-story) previously worked for an intelligence agency and was tasked with going to Mars to assassinate a political opponent of Earth. His memory of his life as a secret agent and assassin was erased to avoid the political ramifications if it ever got out. The problem was the new memories and life they gave Quaid were too mundane, his new life was unfulfilling, which is why he pined to visit Mars as a menial office worker. Instead of a tracking device in his nose, they implanted a telepathic transmitter in his head, and his former employers can read his very thoughts. Despite being able to subdue and overpower the armed agents who have come for him and go on the run, he realizes that it's only a matter of time before they eventually kill him. Through the transmitter, he bargains with his former boss that he'll give himself up to them if they agree to at least try the memory wipe one more time. If it doesn't work a second time, he'll accept his death.

Considering that they never expected Quaid to come back from such a dangerous mission, and because he was able to successfully pull off such a high profile assignment, they grant him this request.

This time, the agency's psychiatric department conduct a personality-profile test to determine Quaid's ultimate wish fulfillment fantasy. This way, they'll implant this fantasy, whatever it is, into his memory, so that it gives him just enough sense of self-importance that he'll be content with whatever new life they give him, without him remembering that he was really an assassin working for the government and that he had killed a planetary leader.

Quaid's ultimate wish-fulfillment fantasy is this: That as a kid walking down a rustic road and an unfamiliar space vessel from another planetary system lands directly in front of him. No one on Earth sees it but him. The creatures within are small and helpless, like field mice, but their race are highly advanced and planning on invading Earth, and this scouting ship who will give the go-ahead to send their fleet of 10,000 vessels to destroy humanity with their terrible weapons of mass destruction.

But instead of halting the invasion by merely stepping on them and destroying the small scouts, Quaid's fantasy is that as a child, he halts the invasion by showing them kindness and mercy, despite knowing their malicious intentions due to them telepathically communicating it to him.

They have never seen such humane traits displayed by a sentient organism, and in appreciation, they make a covenant with the young boy. They won't invade Earth as long as he lives.

His boss is shocked to find out they had a guy with these kind of subconscious fantasies on the payroll. But they agree to go ahead with the new memory implant. They even plan on putting fake mementos of this fake childhood memory in his conapt (condo-apartment): a faux star map of the creatures home galaxy, a scroll written in their language, unreadable of course, and a magic healing rod they gifted him that eventually ran out of power.

They go back to Rekall, and they put him in under. Before they can implant the new memory, Quaid starts mumbling, "They told me not to tell...that was the agreement...they even gave me a scroll. I have it hidden in my conapt."

The technicians freak out and call in the agency boss. "Something went wrong again."

Through eyes have half shut, Quaid looks to the direction of his boss and continues mumbling, "They gave me a magic invisible destroying rod...That's how I killed that man on Mars you sent me to take out. I have it hidden in my desk along with the Martian maw-worms and dried-up plant life."

The agency boss sighs and realizes now they have to keep him alive no matter what.
Old 06-05-20, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 203 Likes on 157 Posts

^ I wonder if within that synopsis of the original they may have used the whole
Spoiler:
alien race
fantasy as sequel material? It was certainly hinted at in the first one, and would have probably been the next logical step. I'm kind of surprised the movie didn't get a sequel, given that for most of the summer of 1990 it was the #1 movie. My only guess is that summer of 1990 saw a LOT of movies come out with the R rating, and while they did well enough, they didn't perform the way they needed to due to their budgets the way they could with a PG-13. A shame, as I miss the multi-million $$ rated R movie. Who knows, if everything goes to streaming maybe they can make a comeback.
Old 06-06-20, 06:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 274 Likes on 206 Posts

Love this movie. “You think this is the real Quaid? It is.” still cracks me up every time.

Ans also the “Harold from work, he was the boss!” when Arnold is explaining his encounter to Sharon Stone.
Old 06-06-20, 09:41 AM

so, who here watched this again because of this thread?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.