Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Has there been a miscast character in Marvel’s MCU?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Has there been a miscast character in Marvel’s MCU?
Yes. (Please specify...)
62.50%
No.
12.50%
Other. (Please specify...)
0%
What are you high?
25.00%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-20, 07:06 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

Just talking MCU’s 23 movie juggernaut. Convince me there is a miscast character, big or little. I think they’ve all be impeccable.
Old 04-24-20, 07:14 PM
Premium Member

Received 690 Likes on 462 Posts
Re: Has there been a miscast character in Marvel’s MCU?

Don Cheadle as War Machine didn't feel quite right.
Old 04-24-20, 07:36 PM

I did like Howard better, but of course he acted like an ass off camera like an ass. Cheadle is fine fm.
Old 04-24-20, 08:02 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Possibly some miscasting.
The following users liked this post:
William Fuld (04-24-20)
Old 04-24-20, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by E Unit
for example?
Old 04-24-20, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

I don’t think she’s miscast because she’s such a minor character. But they could have cast anyone to Maria Hill. Coby Smulders is attractive and athletic, but she hasn’t stood out as someone who I only identify as Maria Hill.
Old 04-24-20, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,151 Likes on 900 Posts

I’ll throw out Brie Larson. Now first of all before anyone jumps down my throat I’m not one of those people who absolutely hated her or anything. So far though she just hasn’t really clicked with me as Carol/Captain Marvel.

In general I think she’s a good actress and maybe it was the fault of a bad script or direction for the solo film. She didn’t really do a lot in Endgame for me to tell if she was better there or not (although I believe those scenes were actually filmed before the solo film).
The following 2 users liked this post by Mike86:
Mountain Biker (04-27-20), OldBoy (04-18-21)
Old 04-24-20, 08:53 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
for example?
Here and there. Maybe.
Old 04-24-20, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,026 Likes on 725 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
for example?
Here and there. Maybe.
Old 04-24-20, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,491 Posts

I initially thought Scarlett was laughable as Black Widow... even in the first Avengers movie I didn't like that whole "blood in my ledger" scene and she was far from what I expected of a converted ex-Russian agent. I think over time she either got better or I grew to accept it.

A lot of things I would consider miscasts are just actors I feel should have had a larger or more prevalent role, the biggest being Eccleston as Malekith.

And then there's the Mandarin (whoever you consider him to be, Pearce or Kingsley), and the teaser that will seemingly never amount to anything.
Old 04-24-20, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,191 Likes on 2,059 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
I initially thought Scarlett was laughable as Black Widow... even in the first Avengers movie I didn't like that whole "blood in my ledger" scene and she was far from what I expected of a converted ex-Russian agent. I think over time she either got better or I grew to accept it.
I never cared for Scarlett as Black Widow either. To me, she had one standout scene and that was the hallway fight all the way back in Iron Man 2. I blame the writing for her character mostly. She just became the Avengers bicycle at a certain point and became relatively useless.
Old 04-24-20, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts

I've enjoyed the movies but I'm not actually a huge fan of Tom Holland as Spider-Man. He captures some of the qualities of the comics character but not all - he's not really a geek or an outcast, he doesn't seem that haunted by Uncle Ben (who's not even been mentioned much in the MCU as I recall), and he's a little too blank-faced for me. Just my thoughts.

I didn't like Jeremy Renner as Hawkeye although a lot of that is how little they've given him to play with, but I thought when it came to Endgame he really came into his own for the first time, and the brief scenes with his family in Ultron. (Again, though, he doesn't bear a lot of resemblance to the comics character there)
Old 04-24-20, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

For me it's Robert Downey Jr as Stark. That put the entire MCU off on the wrong foot for me from the start and never really recovered since they made him the backbone of the entire thing. I know he's supposed to be a rich snarky playboy but he just comes off as a raging douchebag to me. It's probably the main reason why I could never get into this universe like everyone else. I want a hero I can like leading the charge.

I'm also not a fan of Holland. He's an okay Spidey, but not Peter Parker.

Also how about Edward Norton?
Old 04-25-20, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts

Can’t think of a single one - they’ve nailed it every time. They even fixed the weakest ones (Howard and Norton). It’s really impressive.
Deftones (04-25-20)
Old 04-25-20, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,879 Posts

Edward Norton as Bruce Banner. He never really clicked as the character, and that movie sort of seems like its been decanonized as part of the MCU. With the exception of Thunderbolt Ross, they don't seem to make many references to it -- No follow up on The Leader, Betty Ross fell off the face of the Earth, etc. (And I'd love to see Ty Burrell return as Doc Sampson, which is some really spot-on casting.)

I want to say Chris Pratt as Starlord, but despite my dislike of the actor, he feels appropriate for the character as portrayed in the films. But he's one of the actors that always feels like he's playing the same character in every movie.
Old 04-25-20, 12:57 AM
Former Member

Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts

I expect that no one would agree with me, but Ryan Reynolds as Deadpool. Which probably stems from my dislike of the actor, but hell I can't help it. He's basically Stifler from American Pie if Stifler were to don a costume and play superhero. Ryan's gimmick is to say the most inane and sexually suggestive thing he can think of in the moment, and we as the audience are supposed to find it hilarious. That's his gimmick I guess? Because that was the entirety of the Deadpool movies for me, inane sexual innuendo.

There are some others (like the aforementioned Edward Norton and Tom Holland) who are weak representations of their archetype, but none that actively piss me off like Ryan Reynolds' Deadpool does.
Old 04-25-20, 04:35 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 223 Likes on 148 Posts

I felt Vin Diesel was miscast as Groot. Every time I see the character, all I can think of is, "Hey, isn't that Dom from the Fast and Furious movies?"

Old 04-25-20, 07:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 263 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by Perkinsun Dzees
I felt Vin Diesel was miscast as Groot. Every time I see the character, all I can think of is, "Hey, isn't that Dom from the Fast and Furious movies?"
Thread/

Why they made a big deal out of the "three words" he says is beyond me. I wonder if he even showed up for filming? He could have called and left it on a voicemail.
Old 04-25-20, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 273 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by d2cheer
Thread/

Why they made a big deal out of the "three words" he says is beyond me. I wonder if he even showed up for filming? He could have called and left it on a voicemail.
He wore stilts to get into character for the voices

Old 04-25-20, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,151 Likes on 900 Posts

Kind of surprised a few people have said Holland. I think he’s good and easily the best Peter/Spidey to date. He actually feels like a high school kid for once. I guess he could be a bit more nerdy, but I feel like he’s portrayed fine. He’s nerdy enough but not to the point where the filmmakers beat you over the head with that aspect of his character. The stuff with Uncle Ben doesn’t bother me much at all. I get that it’s important to his origin, but I can also see why it was glossed over since it had been done twice on film at the time Homecoming came out.
Deftones (04-27-20)
Old 04-25-20, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,191 Likes on 2,059 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
For me it's Robert Downey Jr as Stark. That put the entire MCU off on the wrong foot for me from the start and never really recovered since they made him the backbone of the entire thing. I know he's supposed to be a rich snarky playboy but he just comes off as a raging douchebag to me. It's probably the main reason why I could never get into this universe like everyone else. I want a hero I can like leading the charge.
Same here, which is why I hitched my emotional investment wagon to Chris Evans’ Captain America from the get-go. The only emotion I felt when Stark sacrifices himself was of joy because it wasn’t Cap.

Also how about Edward Norton?
I’m the minority but I prefer Norton’s Banner to Ruffalo’s. Obviously Ruffalo got a lot more opportunity with how to play the Hulk but as far as Banner goes, I think Norton did it better. The only question is how would Norton have handled the team aspect of the Avengers.
Old 04-25-20, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
Same here, which is why I hitched my emotional investment wagon to Chris Evans’ Captain America from the get-go. The only emotion I felt when Stark sacrifices himself was of joy because it wasn’t Cap.
well, Cap did sacrifice himself in a way. there is no more Evan's Cap as we know it...
Old 04-25-20, 02:16 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

I’ve got one.

Mickey Roark seemed like a good choice for a villain, but he wasn’t. And Iron Man 2 is a
lesser movie for it.
Old 04-25-20, 02:29 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

I general like Terrence Howard, but he felt so out of place in Iron Man.
Old 04-25-20, 02:39 PM
Premium Member

Received 690 Likes on 462 Posts

I think Natalie Portman was overcast (is that a thing?) for that character.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.