Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

CBS brings back Sunday Movie Night

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

CBS brings back Sunday Movie Night

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-20, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts
Re: CBS brings back Sunday Movie Night

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial
Titanic is on tonight and my tv is showing it airing from 6-10:16pm. That’s over an hour for commercials.
This is why I don't watch movies on network tv...other than the edits.
Old 05-25-20, 04:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 809 Likes on 598 Posts

Titanic is on tonight and my tv is showing it airing from 6-10:16pm. That’s over an hour for commercials.
Titanic's runtime is 3 hours and 15 minutes. Most stations run about 15-18 minutes of commercials per hour. A runtime of 4 hours and 16 minutes is fair. They're not adding more commercials than usual.
Old 05-25-20, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 718 Likes on 587 Posts

NBC has their own movie night on Saturday with the animated Universal movies like Secret Life of Pets, Despicable Me, and those type of movies.

Funny how Titanic is 4 hrs and they still can't show the entire movie
Old 05-25-20, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

Did they censor Kate’s boobs? Even in the drawing?
Old 05-26-20, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 416 Likes on 301 Posts

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
Did they censor Kate’s boobs? Even in the drawing?
Yes in that scene it showed her head laying on the couch while Jack was drawing her and when he was done he just handed the drawing to her. You didn't see anything.
Old 05-26-20, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

When they show "Grease: Sing-A-Long", things to watch for are:

1) How they handle the lyrics - "You know that ain't no shit we'll be getting lots of tit" / "You are supreme the chicks'll cream" / "You know that I ain't bragging she's a real pussy wagon" lines in "Greased Lightning" - (ABC just edited those lines out)
2) the bare butts when the T-Birds moon the camera during the dance-off
3) Rizzo asking Danny if he's going to go off to "flog his log"
The following users liked this post:
LiquidSky (05-30-21)
Old 05-26-20, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

When I responded to a post on the CBS facebook page when they promoted Mission Impossible airing, I asked who actually watches these edited for time and content movies on network TV anymore, especially with all the options out there.

Some people actually got angry with me and said I was out of touch and plenty do. They said it reminded them of the good old days. Ok, it was just a question, if that works for you, then great.
Old 05-26-20, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by jeffkjoe
When they show "Grease: Sing-A-Long", things to watch for are:

1) How they handle the lyrics - "You know that ain't no shit we'll be getting lots of tit" / "You are supreme the chicks'll cream" / "You know that I ain't bragging she's a real pussy wagon" lines in "Greased Lightning" - (ABC just edited those lines out)
2) the bare butts when the T-Birds moon the camera during the dance-off
3) Rizzo asking Danny if he's going to go off to "flog his log"
The previews showed them censoring the smoking. I hope that's only for the commercials.
Old 05-26-20, 10:29 PM

Location: Stuck in traffic on the 5 fwy somewhere in Los Angeles
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I love the memories of ABC’s Sunday Night Movies. The sweet spot when I was 8-12 years old coming home after a long day of playing outside in the neighborhood (and beyond) COMPLETELY UNSUPERVISED, imagine that! Playing street baseball, football, riding skateboards and BMX bikes and then getting the “whistle” from my dad, that could be heard for blocks - R.I.P. dad - I’m still ashamed that I cannot for the life of me whistle like a man - the whistle meant, get your ass home now, it’s time to eat!

I’d get home, scarf on mom’s homemade dinner and then settle down to watch Jaws, James Bond or Close Encounters. It sucked when an ABC Movie Night happened during the school year because I had to beg and plead to be able to stay up to the 11PM end times. I'm pretty sure Close Encounters went to 11:30PM or even 12AM and recalling my mom being super pissed that she had agreed to me being able to stay up late on a school night.

I’m calling it now, life in the 1970s and 80s beats this current day bullshit by a country mile - and I don’t even know what a country mile is, but I’m positive it’s probably longer than a “normal” mile. Anyone form out in the country can correct me if I'm wrong.
The following users liked this post:
rennervision (09-27-20)
Old 05-26-20, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,879 Posts

Old 05-27-20, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Funny how we settled for that and VHS and nobody complained back then
Old 05-28-20, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 331 Likes on 250 Posts

Always hated cut movies on TV- even the G-rated Sound of Music kept getting a few more minutes cut out each year to make room for more commercials.
Old 05-28-20, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 212 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Always hated cut movies on TV- even the G-rated Sound of Music kept getting a few more minutes cut out each year to make room for more commercials.
Of course, when I was younger I knew nothing of "aspect ratios" and "pan-and-scan" and had no idea how badly widescreen films were butchered. I remember one local channel from my youth that used to crop the title and credit sequences (back when there were credit sequences at the beginning of films) and show them at the end of the film while they led into the news.
These days the ability to subtly speed up or slow down films to fit a particular slot has made watching Movies on pretty much any network or cable channel darn near impossible.
Old 09-27-20, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

CBS is bringing back Sunday Night Movies for a six week run until scripted programming returns. Big Brother will move to Monday starting next week.
https://deadline.com/2020/09/cbs-sun...c-nlIhf0MTynJE

It might be kind of funny to see how Old School and Scream will be edited for television.
Old 09-27-20, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,191 Likes on 2,059 Posts

I wonder if they just randomly pick 6 movies out of Walmart’s $5 DVD bin for their movie choices. Those are some pretty lackluster picks.
Old 09-27-20, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by hal9000
I love the memories of ABC’s Sunday Night Movies. The sweet spot when I was 8-12 years old coming home after a long day of playing outside in the neighborhood (and beyond) COMPLETELY UNSUPERVISED, imagine that! Playing street baseball, football, riding skateboards and BMX bikes and then getting the “whistle” from my dad, that could be heard for blocks - R.I.P. dad - I’m still ashamed that I cannot for the life of me whistle like a man - the whistle meant, get your ass home now, it’s time to eat!

I’d get home, scarf on mom’s homemade dinner and then settle down to watch Jaws, James Bond or Close Encounters. It sucked when an ABC Movie Night happened during the school year because I had to beg and plead to be able to stay up to the 11PM end times. I'm pretty sure Close Encounters went to 11:30PM or even 12AM and recalling my mom being super pissed that she had agreed to me being able to stay up late on a school night.

I’m calling it now, life in the 1970s and 80s beats this current day bullshit by a country mile - and I don’t even know what a country mile is, but I’m positive it’s probably longer than a “normal” mile. Anyone form out in the country can correct me if I'm wrong.
Man - this perfectly captures the essence of what it was like back then. I even have good feelings just watching the ABC Sunday Night Movie intro on YouTube. Good memories.
Old 09-27-20, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

I remember when ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST made its TV premiere on ABC Sunday Night Movie in 1972 and the next day, at both work and school (college), everyone was talking about it.
Old 09-27-20, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 331 Likes on 250 Posts

I watched Ferris Bueller on NBC just to see what they changed, it was laughably bad. Ferris's whole speech about Cameron went like: "He's going to end up marrying the first girl he dates. And she won't respect him, because you can't respect someone who licks your boots."
Old 09-28-20, 06:13 PM
Administrator

Received 1,067 Likes on 620 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
I wonder if they just randomly pick 6 movies out of Walmart’s $5 DVD bin for their movie choices. Those are some pretty lackluster picks.
I think they're not bad. They're basically "four quadrant hits" that adults will enjoy, but their kids may not have seen. Easy ratings wins. The more baffling decision to me is that there are multiple hard-R films that require heavy editing.
Old 09-28-20, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

CBS is bringing back Sunday Night Movies for a six week run until scripted programming returns. Big Brother will move to Monday starting next week.
https://deadline.com/2020/09/cbs-sun...c-nlIhf0MTynJE

It might be kind of funny to see how Old School and Scream will be edited for television.

They should throw the white flag since SNF will kill CBS in the ratings
Old 09-28-20, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,191 Likes on 2,059 Posts

Originally Posted by IBJoel
I think they're not bad. They're basically "four quadrant hits" that adults will enjoy, but their kids may not have seen. Easy ratings wins. The more baffling decision to me is that there are multiple hard-R films that require heavy editing.
I don’t know. With the exception of maybe Star Trek Beyond all those movies fall under the category of “movies that everyone who aren’t even movie buffs already own”. They aren’t exactly inspired choices that are rare DVD finds.
Old 09-29-20, 07:09 AM

Received 50 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by hal9000

The official redneck conversion is 1 Country Mile = 2 Regular Miles, at least that’s what we say in the Midwest.
Old 09-29-20, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
They should throw the white flag since SNF will kill CBS in the ratings
Even with NFL ratings down you're right.
Old 10-01-20, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 263 Likes on 191 Posts

With the NFL getting kicked in the nuts now is the time to provide good counter programming. I am not sure this is it however.
Old 05-30-21, 03:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't know if it is back but Gladiator is on CBS tonight

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.