Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

CBS brings back Sunday Movie Night

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

CBS brings back Sunday Movie Night

Old 04-14-20, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,160 Likes on 2,036 Posts
Re: CBS brings back Sunday Movie Night

They really need a hook to get people to watch. If they advertise them as extended TV cuts, limited commercial interruptions, add special features, etc. You know, make it somewhat of a special event. People might tune in.

Hell, I’d tune in in a heart beat if they got Joe Bob Briggs to host the evening.

As much as I love the movies listed above, I’m not sure 25-30 year old movies that 90% of people, even non-movie aficionados, already have in their collection will get viewers to watch. I would suggest some new movies that haven’t been played on cable consistently for the last 3 decades.
Old 04-14-20, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,677 Likes on 1,847 Posts

I guess I was too young to remember which specific channels each movies was on. All I can really remember is that ABC played the James Bond films. And it was always a treat when they played one I hadn't seen yet.

Those were weird times. It was before VHS, DVD, and streaming, and cable tv was in its infancy, so if you wanted to see a certain movie that was out of its theatrical run, you had to cross your fingers, watch the tv listings, and wait until it was shown on network tv.

But now, I have an extensive film library in my own home. All of those James Bond movies, all of the Star Trek and Star Wars movies, Alien/s, and all of those horror movies I read about in Fangoria that I couldn't see.
Old 05-03-20, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 406 Likes on 294 Posts

Well I've got Raiders on right now and it's nice to see it being shown in its OAR and not cropped. I'm curious what the edits will be.
The following users liked this post:
Mabuse (05-04-20)
Old 05-03-20, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

No major edits so far. The bar shootout scene was pretty much intact.
Old 05-03-20, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That was a pretty fun throwback to when Sunday night movies were the norm.
Old 05-04-20, 01:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 699 Likes on 570 Posts

Did they have a opening or theme music before the movie started or they just started from the opening Paramount logo?
Old 05-04-20, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 219 Likes on 161 Posts

If CBS really wants to add some comfort programming, they should bring back the CBS Late Movie, even if it's just on Fridays for the summer months. Surely Colbert wouldn't mind taking Fridays off for a while.

Of course, they'd need to mimic the '70s format, when they showed actual movies (usually low-budget horror films) instead of old hour-long TV episodes of stuff like Lou Grant and Quincy. I'd definitely tune in to see movies such as The Innkeepers, It Follows, and The Witch.

Old 05-04-20, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
Did they have a opening or theme music before the movie started or they just started from the opening Paramount logo?
I didn't tune in right at the beginning but they had a few second title card they played throughout the movie so I'm guessing they had it right at the beginning as well. Here is what it looks like in this commercial. That would be fun if CBS brought back a late night movie as well.

Last edited by Bluelitespecial; 05-04-20 at 09:09 AM.
Old 05-04-20, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,072 Likes on 772 Posts

I clicked on this monstrosity last night for less than a minute and heard them call it "Indiana Jone and the Raiders of the Lost Ark." I know that it how the movie is marketed now, but I can't stand it!
Old 05-04-20, 01:02 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

I too was happy to see it in its correct aspect ratio. Back in the 80’s and 90’s when this would air on tv it wouldn’t have any cuts to the violence.
Old 05-04-20, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mabuse
I too was happy to see it in its correct aspect ratio. Back in the 80’s and 90’s when this would air on tv it wouldn’t have any cuts to the violence.
I remember Raiders being aired on ABC in the 80s or 90s and I think I remember slight edits to opening the arc at the end but the movie aired pretty much unedited last night.

Last edited by Bluelitespecial; 05-04-20 at 07:07 PM.
Old 05-04-20, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
I clicked on this monstrosity last night for less than a minute and heard them call it "Indiana Jone and the Raiders of the Lost Ark." I know that it how the movie is marketed now, but I can't stand it!
Yeah that's annoying but it still says Raiders of the Lost Ark in the opening credits so it doesn't bother me that much.
Old 05-04-20, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 129 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial
I remember Raiders being aired on ABC in the 80s or 90s and I think I remember slight edits to opening the arc at the end but the movie aired pretty much aired unedited last night.
By today's standards of violence in network prime time shows like NCIS, SWAT etc, the violence in Raiders of the Lost Ark is probably considered quite tame.
Old 05-04-20, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,128 Likes on 888 Posts

I guess the novelty of a big movie being shown on one of the major networks is kinda cool, but anymore it’s not really a big deal. Most of us probably own the films being shown multiple times over or they’re available to stream so why bother watching on tv? It was different back when watching a network broadcast was one of the main ways to see it.
Alan Smithee (05-05-20)
Old 05-04-20, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 112 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
I guess the novelty of a big movie being shown on one of the major networks is kinda cool, but anymore it’s not really a big deal. Most of us probably own the films being shown multiple times over or they’re available to stream so why bother watching on tv? It was different back when watching a network broadcast was one of the main ways to see it.
As an 80s baby it made no sense to treat watching a big movie on network tv as a kid in the 90's,literally any well known movie once it had been on vhs over a year was already in the $1 catalog/aka non new release section at Blockbuster. Not to mention most grocery stores had $1 rental selection .
Old 05-04-20, 08:47 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 370 Likes on 251 Posts

Watching Raiders on TV hacked to pieces with commercials vs. watching my commercial-free DVD? Hmmmmm.....
Alan Smithee (05-05-20)
Old 05-05-20, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 328 Likes on 247 Posts

Caught a few minutes of it while waiting for The Simpsons, the only show I watch on regular TV. Yes it was in 2.35 but still had the stupid CBS logo onscreen. Spielberg used to be against that, demanding it not be put on his movies when they started doing that. I mainly wanted to see if the line "I'm your goddamned partner!" was left in and it was. Indy says "holy shit" later but I didn't have the patience to wait for that. One thing I'll give them is that each time I tuned in, I never saw a single commercial so they may have actually given it more than the usual seven minutes of movie followed by five minutes of commercials.
Old 05-10-20, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Tonight is Forrest Gump. I know these are no big deal but now ABC is bringing back "The Wonderful World of Disney" banner to show some of their movies as well.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/li...series-1293766
Old 05-15-20, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Next Sunday's movie is Mission Impossible and they've added the Sing-a-Long version of Grease which will now air on June 7th.
https://deadline.com/2020/05/cbs-bri...mp-1202902688/
Old 05-17-20, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,545 Likes on 2,540 Posts

The first Mission Impossible is airing tonight on CBS. According to the BD, it's 110 minutes. CBS has slotted a 2 hour and 30 minute window for it. So that would leave 40 minutes of commercials if it airs unedited. What are the chances that this is actually the original version? They have to at least edit out "Shit" as that's not allowed on network TV. But, content-wise, I think it could be the full movie minus any language that the FCC is against.

Old 05-17-20, 06:28 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 888 Likes on 751 Posts

I just can’t watch movies on Broadcast tv. Not even on pay cable when it’s not edited. Just not the same as physical media with good a/v, maybe some extras. Can’t get same experience from cable...
Old 05-17-20, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 699 Likes on 570 Posts

I can watch movies again if they air on HBO, Showtime, Starz, and Cinemax but no way on TNT, TBS, or the other networks that air movies with ads.
Old 05-17-20, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
I just can’t watch movies on Broadcast tv. Not even on pay cable when it’s not edited. Just not the same as physical media with good a/v, maybe some extras. Can’t get same experience from cable...
Yeah. I own all the M:I movies on 4K.
Old 05-17-20, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 328 Likes on 247 Posts

Just checked it- it's in 2.35 and they moved the CBS logo up into the picture area. Sigh.

Heard one of the networks aired this movie without commercials as their first HDTV broadcast, at the same time it aired with commercials on the analog channels. Too bad HD came along right when they started intentionally defacing the picture.
Old 05-24-20, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Titanic is on tonight and my tv is showing it airing from 6-10:16pm. That’s over an hour for commercials.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.