Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Typically, do you see more movies in theater or at home?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Typically, do you see more movies in theater or at home?
Theater.
12.82%
Home.
87.18%
Other. (Please specify...)
0%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-10-20, 07:01 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 338 Likes on 299 Posts

Of course, not talking now, but with attention deficit disorder I知 lucky if I could watch one movie at home per week. But wish I can see more in theater simply bc I paid, certain time, certain people. But if at home and even though I may have paid, can still watch whenever. Wish there was simple cure for that. But, I壇 give slight edge to home.

So I know some here used to go once, twice a week if new release. Where do you see most?
Old 04-10-20, 09:07 PM
Premium Member

Received 422 Likes on 332 Posts
Re: Typically, do you see more movies in theater or at home?

Home 80% of the time now. I know so many here think a lot of movies need to be seen on the big screen, but I beg to differ. And IMAX even less. I think the last one I saw on IMAX was Dunkirk, which was nice but I still felt the same impact when watching it at home on 4K disc.
The following users liked this post:
IBJoel (04-13-20)
Old 04-10-20, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,182 Likes on 877 Posts

Before AMC had to shut down, I was seeing anywhere from 6 to 8 movies per month with their A-List program., I would rent maybe 2-4 movies per month on Red Box.

So probably the theatre for me.
Old 04-11-20, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 229 Likes on 165 Posts

Kind of a weird time to ask this question given that all the theaters have been closed for a month, but whatever. I think I've watched about 120(!) movies so far in 2020, and only 7 or 8 were in a theater. So I guess 'home' for me.

Originally Posted by OldBoy View Post
Of course, not talking now, but with attention deficit disorder I知 lucky if I could watch one movie at home per week.
How do you possibly watch even a fraction of the discs/digital you buy if you have a hard time watching one a week?

DJariya (04-11-20)
Old 04-12-20, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 83 Posts

Last year I saw 234 movies at home and eleven in theaters. In 2018 it was 227 movies seen at home and ten in theaters.

Plus I see dozens of classic TV episodes from the U.S. and Japan in various formats every year. I saw close to 500 TV eps. in 2018.
Old 04-12-20, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 547 Likes on 445 Posts

For new releases I would normally say more in the theater. I知 less likely to seek out something new on streaming or home media and often fall into old favorites. Going to the theater is my motivator to see something new.
Old 04-12-20, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

More at the theatre. Both with MoviePass and AMC AList.
- I like the popcorn.
- My wife and I can usually decide on a movie to see in the theater, a little tougher at home
- I have trouble carving out time to watch/focus on a movie at home, even though
- I find myself watching 2 or 3 episodes of streaming tv instead, or
- Playing a video game.

I've got a decent "home theater" set up so while it may not be IMAX or anything, it's still perfectly suitable for movies especially in 4k. Just something I've found more difficult to do.
Old 04-12-20, 01:10 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 194 Likes on 138 Posts

I probably watch about 6 films a month at home. Theater varies greatly over the years. Back when free movie tickets were ubiquitous on DVDs, I’d see 10 or more a month in theater, same or more my one year with MoviePass. Got Regal Unlimited recently and did 5 to 10 a month before they shut down. Will continue if pricing stays the same. Full price movie tickets? Pretty much never in my lifetime.
Old 04-12-20, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 78 Posts

More new movies at home. I only watch the blockbusters in the theaters (Or just the well known franchises). Star Wars, Marvel movies, Mission Impossible, John Wick, etc.

And I watch these movies with my dad. It痴 our father / son activity, even though I知 35 years old and live in another city. So if my friends want to watch the newest MCU film, I tell them I have to watch with my dad first. I owe my movie watching experience to my dad, who never held back when I was younger with the rated R films (like some parents do now). I still get nightmares from 鄭liens thanks dad!

but for some random new comedy from Kevin Hart for example, my dad doesn稚 care to see that. So I値l either watch at home myself or with friends in theaters.
Old 04-12-20, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 148 Posts

Definitely watch more films at home.

Back when you could still take full advantage of MoviePass, I was seeing a lot more films in theaters.
Old 04-12-20, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Usually watch 4-5 movies a week at home. Might get to the theaters once every 6-8 weeks or so during the pre-plague days, except during film festival season.
Old 04-12-20, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 121 Likes on 100 Posts

The years I worked at theaters I saw everything I could, but after that and ever since the switch to digital I've watched far more at home. If we had a good theater here I'd patronize it weekly no matter what was playing, but no theaters here meet that standard. If I ever get a projector then there'll be even less reason to go to a theater again.
Old 04-13-20, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 196 Likes on 130 Posts

Home theater all the way. My days of movies theaters are done. Buh-bye.

Nothing beats watching a movie in the comfort of my own home.
Old 04-13-20, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by rocket1312 View Post
How do you possibly watch even a fraction of the discs/digital you buy if you have a hard time watching one a week?
quite simply...i don't. And just hit 3,800 mark. Good grief...

Last edited by OldBoy; 04-13-20 at 05:44 PM.
Old 04-13-20, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 229 Likes on 165 Posts

By chance do you keep track of how many of those you've watched? My collection is under 1000 and my unwatched pile is always hovering around 200. And that's despite watching 120 movies so far in 2020, most of them blu-rays I own. I know there are many here with collections that big (or bigger), and I know it's been discussed to death elsewhere, but holy crap, what's the point? You must have hundreds if not thousands unwatched.
Old 04-14-20, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by rocket1312 View Post
By chance do you keep track of how many of those you've watched? My collection is under 1000 and my unwatched pile is always hovering around 200. And that's despite watching 120 movies so far in 2020, most of them blu-rays I own. I know there are many here with collections that big (or bigger), and I know it's been discussed to death elsewhere, but holy crap, what's the point? You must have hundreds if not thousands unwatched.
no. i guess i could've, but never did. i would say at least half of the blu-rays i own i haven't seen. the movie, yes, at least 3/4 movies seen, the blu-ray itself, probably not, sad to say.. and to boot, many i have in Vudu to stream at ease. such a conundrum...
Old 04-14-20, 05:01 PM

now, for those of you that do go to theaters...how many will be reluctant once the theaters open again?
Old 04-14-20, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 155 Posts

90% of the time I'm watching a film I've never seen before, it's in the theater. At home I mainly only watch films I've already seen and enjoy.
Old 04-14-20, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 359 Likes on 264 Posts

now, for those of you that do go to theaters...how many will be reluctant once the theaters open again?
I would not have a problem going to the store or restaurant or theater. I normally go early when there aren't many there, anyways.
Old 04-15-20, 11:44 AM
Premium Member

Received 422 Likes on 332 Posts

Not sure why people's habits would change for this, unless they're just skiddish now about being so close to others after the quarantines are lifted. I think that will affect the movie theater business a bit. Of course studios could now adopt new models based on customer rental habits for new releases at home. That would be a great experiment once theaters are open - have a new release in cinemas and at the same time, release it for rental only on streaming services.
Old 04-15-20, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,182 Likes on 877 Posts

When and if AMC re-opens and there's something I want to see, I'll be heading back.
Old 04-16-20, 11:38 PM
Former Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I've had less disappointments watching at home than watching at a theater.
Old 04-21-20, 06:31 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 101 Likes on 75 Posts

We rarely go to the movie theaters, maybe once or twice a year if that. We have 1350 DVDs/BDs and a 65" TV, and I usually buy the good ones once they've come out on physical media, don't really need to see movies in a theater, AND it's way more comfortable at home.
Eye Candy (04-28-20)
Old 04-21-20, 08:10 AM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Last year i watched 931 movies at home and 2 in the theater. I really hate theaters.
Old 04-22-20, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 530 Likes on 404 Posts

We see 2-3 movies per year in the theater, and that average is up because of Star Wars movies being out for the past 5 years. With those taking a break, it'll go down to just things like Detective Pikachu and Sonic the Hedgehog.
Although we went to a special showing of Nausicaa a few years ago despite owning the DVD. That was impressive on the big screen.

But even at home we're more likely to watch TV series than movies, and even though we'll end up watching 2 hours worth of TV, we'd still rather do that than watch one 2 hr movie.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright ゥ 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.