Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Which did you like more, Avengers: Infinity War or Endgame?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Which did you like more, Avengers: Infinity War or Endgame?
Avengers: Infinity War (2018)
68.09%
Avengers: Endgame (2019)
19.15%
Neither. Both overrated. Please explain. If want to...
10.64%
What are you high?
2.13%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Which did you like more, Avengers: Infinity War or Endgame?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-20, 08:09 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 911 Likes on 771 Posts
Re: Which did you like more, Avengers: Infinity War or Endgame?

Originally Posted by dex14
beautiful. makes it more impactful. thanks dex.
Old 03-30-20, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Infinity War's best moments were Thanos arriving on Earth the first time. It was a perfectly paced buildup.

I'm more about finding special moments in a movie, rather than sitting back and enjoying an entire scene.

I must be getting old. Watching the action sequences just don't get me light they used to. I am more on board for the build up to those action sequences, and the drama. Dr Strange holding up his one-chance finger is more emotive than twenty minutes of people fighting and blowing stuff up.
The following users liked this post:
IBJoel (03-31-20)
Old 03-31-20, 06:11 PM

Was there any rhyme or reason explained in movie, most likely Endgame), lore of comics of who/why they got wiped out as the 1/2 of pop. and who didn’t?
Old 03-31-20, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

I'll give the edge to Endgame if only because they finally got rid of that insufferable Stark/Iron Man.
IBJoel (04-01-20)
Old 04-01-20, 09:44 AM
Administrator

Received 1,068 Likes on 621 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
Was there any rhyme or reason explained in movie, most likely Endgame), lore of comics of who/why they got wiped out as the 1/2 of pop. and who didn’t?
Simple random chance. But a full listing of who got snapped? I don't know that there was that, but I recall now and then the directors would clarify. I believe Thunderbolt Ross and Shuri were confirmed among the off-screen snapped.

My bugaboo was WHAT got snapped. Thanos says "half of all life", but that wouldn't fix food shortages, since it would also wipe out half of plants. Black Widow says Thanos destroyed "half of all living creatures", implying that it was merely animals who were killed, which makes the food issue OK mostly if everyone goes vegetarian (although people who rely on fishing are not going to fare well). But we only see sapient species actually killed and Captain America mentions whale populations recovering (which I'm not a cetologist, but 5 years doesn't seem like enough time for them to more-than-double their numbers).

My biggest issue with Endgame is that it sets up this insane world, but never wants to live in it. I needed like a full hour, starting with the press conference or whatever, where Captain America tells the world "we goofed" and then covers the 3 weeks between the end of Infinity War and the beginning of Endgame. Who's president? Are political squabbles now resolved that we have both aliens and an unimaginable global crisis? How do the Avengers handle it? How did Norway react to a bunch of gods saying "we're going to live here now"? Is Okoye de facto queen of Wakanda? How does that second press conference go, when Cap tells everyone "We tried to fix it, but couldn't. On the upside, space is pretty cool"?
Old 04-01-20, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,200 Likes on 2,065 Posts

^ While accurate, I think that’s overthinking it.

In reality, they needed a way to focus on the original 6 Avengers and had to come up with a quick way to get rid of everyone else for the majority of the movie.
Old 04-01-20, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Infinity War has more rock n roll. Endgame has the first, but brief fight with Thanos, and then the final act. The rest of the 2.5 hours is a fucking chore to get through now and I saw this shit twice on the same day in theaters. Does not translate well on home video -- I just fast forward the shit to the final fight and turn it off.

IBJoel (04-01-20)
Old 04-01-20, 10:50 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
^ While accurate, I think that’s overthinking it.

In reality, they needed a way to focus on the original 6 Avengers and had to come up with a quick way to get rid of everyone else for the majority of the movie.
I don't care about the original 6 Avengers, though. And arguably the most interesting development (Professor Hulk) happens offscreen. You simply can't have a cast of 6 and make it about their emotional growth and not have the movie be about that. Endgame tries to have it both ways, where it's partially about personal lives, but then that drama is ultimately rendered moot because there is no consequence (aside from Iron Man). Everyone magically gets what they want. Black Widow dies, but only has a single major scene prior to her death.

I guess my issue is that I essentially have no emotional attachment to the actual characters. I think the movies are pretty fun and well-acted and explore an exciting world, but none of the Avengers films is frankly capable of having meaningful emotionality because each act needs to have a fancy fist fight (which I enjoy!). Civil War is a perfect example: The first act is about the fallout of violence and unchecked power. The person most effected by this is Scarlet Witch, her existence being both a result of that escalation, herself having unchecked, difficult to control power, and her actions resulting in deaths of innocent people. Then the movie pivots and all but ignores the character that has the strongest emotional attachment to the theme the filmmakers have set up. Yes, I understand that it is a Captain America movie. Yes, I understand that these movies are there for some lighthearted eye candy (which is the part that works best and I like most), but the Russos in particular are trying to have their cake and eat it too with the films involving more characters. Winter Soldier was the one where they totally nailed it.

So I'd rather they just live in the world they set up and let it breathe and let the audience sit with it for a while, versus resolving emotional tension with either "it was magically fixed" or "and then the bad guys were magically dead". That was another thing. Thanos' defeat totally lacks the catharsis for me. I know he was hoist by his own petard, but I need some viscerality in his death, like the version of him in the beginning.
Old 04-01-20, 11:29 AM

and i still don't get the Professor Hulk thing. why is he like that?
Old 04-01-20, 02:31 PM
Administrator

and i still don't get the Professor Hulk thing. why is he like that?
It isn't explained in Endgame, but this alternate ending for Hulk in Infinity War gives some idea.

Old 04-01-20, 02:55 PM

^ but that just brushed over it. i just heard we saw him after he busted out of Hulbuster armor and that was it and that he (Professor Hulk) was in comics and stuff, but didn't hear reason why he remained like that. was it just the Banner could finally control and use best of both worlds?
Old 04-01-20, 04:16 PM
Administrator

^ but that just brushed over it. i just heard we saw him after he busted out of Hulbuster armor and that was it and that he (Professor Hulk) was in comics and stuff, but didn't hear reason why he remained like that. was it just the Banner could finally control and use best of both worlds?
Sorry, I didn't have time to find the deleted scene clip or watch that video (I figured they included the actual clip). Basically when he's fighting Cull Obsidian, he has an extended dialogue with the Hulk, where Hulk says Banner just wants his body and they talk about their feelings toward one another and then it's sort of like Banner's mind in the Hulk's body.

But Professor Hulk is more than just that. Aspects of Hulk's confidence and rage show through in Endgame, implying that as a result of reconciling his repressed psyche with his conscious mind, Bruce Banner also takes on a body that is somewhere in between (his face is more handsome and his musculature is slightly smaller).
Old 07-20-20, 07:17 PM

That end of Infinity War is so damn good. And so rewatchable.
Old 07-20-20, 08:43 PM

Received 1,912 Likes on 1,128 Posts

Originally Posted by IBJoel
Captain America mentions whale populations recovering (which I'm not a cetologist, but 5 years doesn't seem like enough time for them to more-than-double their numbers).
Hmm, a likely story. For someone who claims to not be a cetologist, you sure do post about whales a lot around here... Granted, it's subtle, the text behind the text. But we know it's there. We know what you're up to, with your whale talk, and we will not be party to your shenanigans.
IBJoel (07-21-20)
Old 07-21-20, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 238 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by IBJoel
But we only see sapient species actually killed and Captain America mentions whale populations recovering (which I'm not a cetologist, but 5 years doesn't seem like enough time for them to more-than-double their numbers).
Whales in the Hudson != populations more than doubling.

I took this line as more of a "without mankind fucking everything up so much, wildlife is doing better."
Old 07-21-20, 01:16 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by story
Hmm, a likely story. For someone who claims to not be a cetologist, you sure do post about whales a lot around here... Granted, it's subtle, the text behind the text. But we know it's there. We know what you're up to, with your whale talk, and we will not be party to your shenanigans.
I am secretly a small whale in a helmet that transcribes my thoughts to English.

Originally Posted by Jason

I took this line as more of a "without mankind fucking everything up so much, wildlife is doing better."
That's possible, but also if all life is cut in half (and not just sapient species), that solves only the non-organic resource shortage, the other issues still persist, specifically the problem Thanos explicitly mentions: not enough food. If all life is cut in half, there are now half the amount of bacteria, half the amount of plants/fungi, half the amount of herbivores, and half the amount of predators. The proportions are the same as pre-Snap and therefore the food shortage isn't solved (and the lack of plant life to absorb carbon would actually hasten global warming). So my thought is that it was only sapient species (or dominant species) that were effected by the Snap. But that's all headcanon.

I took Cap's line to mean that both boat traffic was down (obviously, we see that) and that most animal and plant species numbers are beyond what they were pre-Snap, meaning that those species were not effected or got biz-zay. Obviously, that's just my opinion and Endgame never specifies.
story (07-28-20)
Old 07-21-20, 02:17 PM

can we please keep all the whale talk to the Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home discussion thread? thanks.
Old 07-21-20, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

can we please keep all the whale talk to the Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home discussion thread? thanks.
Awww, is your thread getting inane?
IBJoel (07-22-20)
Old 07-24-20, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

I just think both are incredibly overrated. There are just so superficial and repetitive. I really liked the first Avenger's movie but over time it just became completely overwrouight and frankly boring.
Old 07-24-20, 09:48 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by johnnysd
I just think both are incredibly overrated. There are just so superficial and repetitive. I really liked the first Avenger's movie but over time it just became completely overwrouight and frankly boring.
Although I like it more, I consider Infinity War to be more of a theme park ride than a movie. What I'd really like is something to dig into the potential of Civil War and Age of Ultron: What are the implications of having all of this power? Just enforcing the status quo?
Old 07-24-20, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,200 Likes on 2,065 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnysd
I’ve said this before (maybe on this very thread) but that’s one of my issues with the whole MCU. The movies are only as good as the next one. With the exception of a couple movies (Iron Man 1 and Winter Soldier) they don’t seem to do a very effective job of making each movie stand well on its own. The movies seem to exist solely to set up the next movie. It’s also rare that any of the movies have any kind of individual identity.

I like the movies and fell into the trap of buying them all on Blu-ray, but I can’t say I ever really get the urge to re-watch any of the previous movies.
IBJoel (07-24-20)
Old 07-24-20, 06:17 PM

yes, i agree, the first one is really tedious (now, loved it to bits at first), save a couple scenes and it is hard to revisit, but i think IW and EG have so much replayability and great moments that have the same effect every time you see them. they are really great superhero and and movies in general. very good, even more fleshed out character moments. you feel, you laugh, you weep, you get excited, these 2 are rarities in the end of a saga that began so long ago. these two undid Ultron, the first and just wrapped up this phase perfectly. i still love and feel every moment. the swelling of the music, the theme, great story, characters. it just works. it's how SW should have ended, but obviously didn't...
Old 07-27-20, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
I’ve said this before (maybe on this very thread) but that’s one of my issues with the whole MCU. The movies are only as good as the next one. With the exception of a couple movies (Iron Man 1 and Winter Soldier) they don’t seem to do a very effective job of making each movie stand well on its own. The movies seem to exist solely to set up the next movie. It’s also rare that any of the movies have any kind of individual identity.

I like the movies and fell into the trap of buying them all on Blu-ray, but I can’t say I ever really get the urge to re-watch any of the previous movies.
Yeah I agree with that. Almost to the point that the biggest thing was the post credits scene. It probably doesnt help that I don't really like the Captain America character, nor love any of the others either. I enjoyed a couple of the movies, but they were just all the same to me. I have not seen any of them more than once. Only 1 I would rewatch might be the original GOTG
Old 07-27-20, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,653 Likes on 1,032 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason

Aren’t some animal populations surging due to the pandemic? 5 years seems like enough time for big changes.

I love Infinity War but the fact that Starlord dooms the universe by being a dipshit puts Endgame over it. And the final Endgame battle will never be topped.
Old 07-28-20, 10:06 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Draven
Aren’t some animal populations surging due to the pandemic? 5 years seems like enough time for big changes.

I love Infinity War but the fact that Starlord dooms the universe by being a dipshit puts Endgame over it. And the final Endgame battle will never be topped.
Those were some memes circulating because of some bad info. I know in particular the "dolphins have returned to the Venice canals" image being passed around was actually from a few years ago.

But based on your point, I did look up whale reproduction rates and gestation periods are usually a year or more, with a single calf. Typically they have a baby every 1-6 years. Yes, I have chosen a very stupid tangent to go on for my thesis on The Snap.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.